Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.

nakchak's Content

There have been 164 items by nakchak (Search limited from 29-March 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#52237 Direct STM32F4 ARM (C) support in Visual Studio?

Posted by nakchak on 19 August 2013 - 11:24 PM in General Discussion

No direct support using visual studio, may well find a custom IDE using visual studio shell...

Nak.

#52207 Roundtrip communication latency

Posted by nakchak on 17 August 2013 - 12:04 PM in General Discussion

As NooM suggested serial is also an option however unless your project is situated next to your desk and you will only ever have a few devices ethernet offers a greater amount of scalability and flexibility, plus the socket interface is event driven so you could drive the sending of data via interupts.

Nak.

#52198 Roundtrip communication latency

Posted by nakchak on 16 August 2013 - 06:40 PM in General Discussion

If you go for the ethernet option then the latancy will be that of your LAN, so realistically the latency will be that of the ping to your gateway plus the latency of the socket code on your "socket server", of course you could also implement a web based api (i woudlnt use soap though due to its verbosity).

Nak

#52183 Which USB to Serial converter should I use with Netduino

Posted by nakchak on 15 August 2013 - 02:33 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Any USB to serial adaptor will do if you just want a com port on your PC.

If however you are trying to a program a mini with it there have been reports of some of the cheaper leads not working, so spend as much as you can afford, other wise a cheap FTDI bare tail lead is ideal as it only has a USB plug at one end and bare wires at the other.

Nak.

#52182 DS2482

Posted by nakchak on 15 August 2013 - 02:29 PM in Project Showcase

Codeplex is very easy to use, as is github with the windows client.

For any online source repository you will need to install and use a source control client. 

The popular 2 at the moment are SVN (Subversion) and Git.

If you choose SVN then i recommend that you either install Ankhsvn for visual studio integration, or tortoisesvn for windows shell integration.

Between codeplex and github there isnt much in it really, github is better imho as it has a less clunky interface and better wiki tools etc. but the learning curve of GIT is steeper than subversion.

Nak.

#52173 Migrating project from Arduino to Netduino 2 Plus

Posted by nakchak on 15 August 2013 - 08:29 AM in Visual Basic Support

The setup loop looks like it is configuring registers.

All of that would be taken care of by the pwm classes in netmf i would have thought.

Nak.

#52162 Addressing Netduino Flash memory

Posted by nakchak on 14 August 2013 - 06:09 PM in General Discussion

True most of the storage would goto waste, but it would cost more than an sd card to implement an eeprom or similar device as a shield...

Nak.

#52156 Addressing Netduino Flash memory

Posted by nakchak on 14 August 2013 - 04:19 PM in General Discussion

AFAIK you cant from managed code, you would be best off writing to a SD card any data you want persisted between power cycles.

Also see: http://forums.netdui...write/?hl=flash

Nak.

#52147 Using a 7 segment display without a shift register

Posted by nakchak on 14 August 2013 - 01:38 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Using SPI to control a single shiftreg, wouldn't that require a pretty tight loop for multiplexing a 2-digit 7-segment display?

It would be like driving any shift register not particularly difficult. more info in the wiki

personally i would look at chaining a couple of 74LS47's together then just write a byte array to it last time i checked you could get 5 for under a $ on ebay.

Nak.

#52145 N+2 communication with WebApi

Posted by nakchak on 14 August 2013 - 11:01 AM in Project Showcase

I would love to see your code including the web api? Are you using signalR to update your page?

Its quite easy into interface ND's to MVC/WebAPI the biggest problem is keeping the data you send and receive very terse to the ND so as to minimise the amount of string operations that need to be done on the ND.  in the past i have done things like hard code the action names as constants on the nd, then using a RESTful API sent the bare minimum of data to and from the ND.

One trick i used to minimise data being sent over the wire was to use the ND's MAC address as its unique identifer so i could target any given ND on the network.

I also keep meaning to have another crack at writing a SignalR client for NetMf (there is the start of one in the SignalR repo on GitHub).

Nak.

#52144 Upgrading NP to NP2 problem

Posted by nakchak on 14 August 2013 - 10:53 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Hi mrsupe

I would need a lot more information than you have provided to be able to help in a meaningful manner, i.e. Source Code, Error Messages and possibly build and deployment output.

That said open your projects properties and check that your project is targeting the 4.2 framework, and that your NP2 is recognised by visual studio.  Also install the latest versions of both the netmf SDK and the secretlabs/netduino SDK (on the downloads page of this site)

#52143 kan anyone help me ?

Posted by nakchak on 14 August 2013 - 10:47 AM in General Discussion

Hi Ruan, welcome to the community

First of all please insert code using the code button in the message editor tool bar, makes it much easier to read and refer to as you have line numbers...

To fix issue #1 try removing the "500" from your call to Read. (should also fix issue #4)

It also looks like your missing a reference to the pachube library as well, try following the instructions on page 18 of the Hello Pachube sample pdf that should solve issue #5

Nak.

#52139 Netduino Plus fw 4.2.0 Error reading Tacho from 12v Fan

Posted by nakchak on 14 August 2013 - 08:43 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

I suspect line 48 may be the culprit, as it looks like a memory allocation issue.

Try moving it into your if statement, also try declaring as a private class member rather than a variable that gets created each interrupt, im guessing that the GC isnt clearing the memory quickly enough, so make that variable longer lived and just update the reference each interrupt instead.

i.e.

private static int Current = 0;static void OnFanRotation(uint data1, uint data2, DateTime time){if(_lastPulse > 0){ Current = Utility.GetMachineTime().Ticks / TImeSpan.TicksPerMillisecond;...}...}

Nak.

#52115 Netduino Plus 2 not responding

Posted by nakchak on 13 August 2013 - 10:12 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

I am not able find how to erase and reflash Netduino plus 2 :-(

Follow the instructions in the pinned thread about the netduino 2 firmware

http://forums.netdui...-v422-update-2/

Nak.

#52114 RTC and Netduino+2

Posted by nakchak on 13 August 2013 - 10:06 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

AFAIK the RTC is already being used by the NETMF runtime, so you cant access it for managed projects, that said there is nothing stopping you writing your own firmware and not using NETMF on the netduino hardware.

Nak.

#52101 Netduino Go Future

Posted by nakchak on 12 August 2013 - 09:13 AM in Netduino Go

My understanding of AGENT is that it uses Bluetooth LE for all comms so i would imagine that you would need a Bluetooth LE module for the GO to have it directly interact with AGENT, that said once the network module is out you should be able to write an app for your smart phone connect to the GP via TCP/IP and then use your phone bluetooth transceiver to communicate with AGENT.

Nak.

#52100 Netduino Plus 2 Firmware v4.3.0 (beta 1)

Posted by nakchak on 12 August 2013 - 09:09 AM in Beta Firmware and Drivers

Is the Netduino2 Source code for the 4.3 version available somewhere?  I need to compile a firmware with the EnableGCMessages turned on.  

Would love to get my hands on the source for 4.3 as well, also the source for 4.2.2.2 would be great, the one on the downloads page according to the *.settings file is 4.2.2.1.

Nak.

#52099 New: Netduino 4.3 SDK and VS2012 support!

Posted by nakchak on 12 August 2013 - 09:06 AM in General Discussion

I suppose the current 4.3 fits well in the Netduino Plus 2, right? Is that the lowest platform the 4.3 NETMF fits?

Correct

See the 4.3 Beta 1 thread in the Firmware sub forum http://forums.netdui...re-v430-beta-1/

Nak.

#52086 Sending data to php website

Posted by nakchak on 11 August 2013 - 12:43 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Is this PHP script hosted on a shared webserver (i.e. cheap hosting account)?  If so then it will be setup using HostNames for multiple site support from a single IP.  As you are connecting directly to the server by IP you need to specify the hostname for your site as a HTTP header.

If on the other hand the script is hosted locally, try just specifying the IP address of the server and check that you can access your site just by its IP.  As unless the IP is bound to port 80 as well as a host name your server wont respond.

Finally check that the name is being resolved correctly by the Dns call, sometimes i have found the ND to need the DNS server to be specified manually as it wasnt for some reason being assigned by DHCP.

I would also try and use the HttpClient in the netmf toolbox, https://netmftoolbox...ailable classes as it works very well and lets you post data easily as well...

You could also look at the source for inspiration as well.

Nak.

#52054 Timers not working right, more or less at the speed of light

Posted by nakchak on 09 August 2013 - 03:55 PM in Visual Studio

Pretty sure you get a timestamp with the Interrupt port handler, cant remember if the value is ever initialised though, if memory serves me correctly the time is from power on of the board.  The Advanced Button App in the projects section of the site certainly has the third argument of the handler as a DateTime.

Nak.

#52041 Built-in usb serial communication

Posted by nakchak on 08 August 2013 - 07:16 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Hi Gehrman

This thread may be of interest to you http://forums.netdui...tion-using-usb/ i am unsure of its status in 4.2 though...

Alternativly as you are planning to use the plus, could you not make use of the telnet server classes in the netmftoolbox? that way you could just telnet to the device for configuration instead of direct serial connection.  The only downside would be having to probably use a a hard coded password for auth, (unless you were to have a webservice for auth)...

Annother option would be to add a additional UART to your project something like the MAX3100 from maxim would do the trick, assuming you are already using SPI for your project then it would just be the cost of additional CS pin added to your project.

Nak.

#52032 Windows 8.1 on Surface Pro. Debugging issue.

Posted by nakchak on 07 August 2013 - 08:22 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Very odd if MFDeploy works, have you tried changing the deployment method from USB to serial in your VS project settings, save the changes then change back to usb and save your project settings again, then try deploying.

Nak.

Ahh just saw you fixed it :)

Glad all is working for you now.

#52029 Windows 8.1 on Surface Pro. Debugging issue.

Posted by nakchak on 07 August 2013 - 07:36 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Does your ND appear in device manager?

I am unsure if the driver will work with the 8.1 preview, i personally havnt tried 8.1 due to the full reinstall needed once it goes RC.

Nak.

#52022 N+2 and uP flash write

Posted by nakchak on 07 August 2013 - 02:33 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

As NooM was saying its fine to do this if you know what you are doing but if you don't it could lead to severe problems for novices/non embedded engineers and as a large number of community members are hobbyists you would have to cater for the largest usecase/demographic.

That said the source to the firmware is freely available so if you desperately want to modify the device flash you should be able to modify it to your needs.

Also as the netmf runtimes and user code live in the device flash you would be removing resources from the netmf runtime, which frankly is of more use to the ND boards, especially as the plus has an SD card slot and there is nothing stopping you from adding a non volatile form of memory to a shield and writing to that.

Nak.

#52018 Netduino Board Support Package?

Posted by nakchak on 07 August 2013 - 08:54 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Hi Degt

I would dig into the .chm files in the porting kit it has a lot of info on that sort of thing, (http://netmf.codeplex.com)

As for the namespaces its SecretLabs.NETMF.* for the all the relevant support classes.  I would also grab a copy of the Netduino SDK source from the downloads page.

Nak.

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.