Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Netduino Go Future

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 zemuss

zemuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:33 PM

I am wondering what is in store for the Netduino Go. I was a raving fan of the product and still own one for future projects, however, I needed to get an aquarium controller off the ground while learning a lot about programming the devices.

I am wondering whats going to happen with the Netduino Go: Future Modules, Capabilities and Support. 

I think it would be good to hear from Secret Labs on the subject.  Please let us know officially what is going on.

This isn't an attempt to slander the company. I am just curious where the unit direction is going and product direction entirely.

Thanks,

#2 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 29 June 2013 - 05:54 AM

Hey zemuss, Along with contributors from the community, we're continuing to work on new features and firmware for Netduino Go. We have a few new modules queued up (i.e. hardware is already designed, parts in stock, assembled or ready to be assembled) so right now engineering is focused on getting firmware ready for those new modules. Chris

#3 zemuss

zemuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:29 PM

Does this include the Ethernet module?

#4 eplaksienko

eplaksienko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:57 PM

Chris any timeline, schedule, etc?

#5 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 17 July 2013 - 03:14 AM

Hi eplaksienko,  

Chris any timeline, schedule, etc?

We're shipping new features as they get finished and tested, new hardware as it gets assembled, etc. There are a lot of moving parts so I don't want to promise any dates quite yet...but there is more coming. Chris

#6 EricMeyer

EricMeyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationAllen, Texas

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:24 PM

Chris,

Anything going to be released this year at least?  GO has so much potential, but it is languishing and the perception is that Secret Labs has abandoned it.

-Eric

#7 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:52 AM

Anything going to be released this year at least?

Of course, yes. :) I wish that developing open source hardware, protocols, firmware, etc. was faster and on a bigger budget. In the meantime, we have engineering resources working on a few new things. Including a surprise or two. Chris

#8 eplaksienko

eplaksienko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:37 PM

Chris, why you wouldn't kick start . com some modules

#9 James Abbott

James Abbott

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, UK

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:20 PM

I personally think that's not such a bad idea - Obviously you Secret Labs need to be commercial in what they do, and any contribution toward the engineering cost via a Kick starter or similar product might help give them the resources they need to justify the engineering costs? 

At my employer we offer customers the opportunity to contribute toward development features, and if we get enough contribution to something we want to do anyway it gives us the priority we need!

Thanks.

#10 RandTheDragon

RandTheDragon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationCorpus Christi, TX

Posted 26 July 2013 - 06:28 PM

This! Please let us help to get modules moving

#11 adam8797

adam8797

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 12:48 AM

Yes! I would certainly help fund the development of these projects to bring the go! back from what seems like the dead. We also should realize that throwing money at the problem isnt always the solution. By all means, it helps, but If Secret Labs is working on other projects, things will move along at similar speeds. I know that the go! hardware and software is open sourced, but what about the modules? If Secret Labs is laging behind on the design and development, LET US HELP! There are people on these fourms who I think would love to contribute to the design of new modules. Some of them may even have the resources to build prototypes and report on progress. The beauty of this, is: 1. Some load could be taken off of the Secret Labs team 2. Users who want these modules faster, can make it happen 3. Secret Labs still has the final go/no-go (see what I did there?) on each module if it is not up to the standards that they set 4. If a design is finalized, but not in production yet, we can build our own until an official module comes out. If the hardware is to be open sourced later, why not start it that way? At least thats my opinion, but what do others think. Please dont be afraid to say: "Adam, your wrong. Heres why..."

#12 Nevyn

Nevyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1072 posts
  • LocationNorth Yorkshire, UK

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:06 AM

The source code for the module drivers (the NETMF code) released by SL can be found over in the Wiki.  At the moment they SL have not released the source code for the modules themselves.  You can always approach SL to see if they will release the source code for the modules themselves.

If you want some code and a tutorial on making a module based upon GoBus 1.0 protocol then head over here:

Making a Netduino GO! module

Temperature and Humidity Module Prototype

You should be aware that SL have been working on GoBus protocols 1.5 and I think 2.0.

Hope this helps,

Mark

To be or not to be = 0xFF

Blogging about Netduino, .NET, STM8S and STM32 and generally waffling on about life

Follow @nevynuk on Twitter

#13 adam8797

adam8797

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 01:05 PM

The source code for the module drivers (the NETMF code) released by SL can be found over in the Wiki.  At the moment they SL have not released the source code for the modules themselves.  You can always approach SL to see if they will release the source code for the modules themselves.

If you want some code and a tutorial on making a module based upon GoBus 1.0 protocol then head over here:

Making a Netduino GO! module

Temperature and Humidity Module Prototype

You should be aware that SL have been working on GoBus protocols 1.5 and I think 2.0.

Hope this helps,

Mark

Thanks for the links,

I do want to get into module development, but Im still learning about basic circuits and things like that, but that was not the point of my post.

What I was saying is that if SL wants the go! to succeed, they either need to

1. Kickstart some modules

2. Allow this community to assist in development of modules and the go!bus protocol.

#14 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 27 July 2013 - 01:20 PM

Hi Adam, Just to be clear--GoBus is an open protocol, and anyone is welcome to build modules (or use GoBus for other purposes). That said, we have several first-party modules in the works and we're also creating some firmware to help third-parties support GoBus 1.5 seamlessly. The v1.0 protocol itself is done and v1.5 is coming out of beta soon too. What kinds of things would you like to help with, to grow the ecosystem faster? We really appreciate your enthusiasm and support. Chris

#15 adam8797

adam8797

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:26 PM

At this point, I think I have the resources to begin to at least think about designing a module.

I don't think there is too much I can do personally to help, but in my opinion, the best way to grow this ecosystem is to finish the shield base and ethernet adapter totally. After that, its basically equal to the +2 and it can only go up from there.

I guess I'll carry on messing around with this kit, and maybe I can hack a few things together, but I think that this system has the potential to be absolutely amazing. There are still bugs to work out and hardware to finish, but I think as we see that happen, the community will grow around it, but its just slow right now.

Great job with what you have done so far, but the go! can't afford to (appear to) be on the back burner for much longer.

#16 eplaksienko

eplaksienko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:29 PM

Chris, would be nice at least to to have mainboard and SB bugs fixed for beginning and Gadgeteer extension module released 

#17 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:55 PM

Hi eplaksienko,

Chris, would be nice at least to to have mainboard and SB bugs fixed for beginning...

Are you experiencing bugs with your mainboard? Chris

#18 eplaksienko

eplaksienko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:31 PM

Mainboard is ok, still problem with SB: tristateport or releasing output port + need sleep before SB initialized. 

Actually also need some reason SB initialize before potentiometer, otherwise doesn't work

#19 eplaksienko

eplaksienko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:32 PM

Chris, do you have libs for gadgeteer extension board?

#20 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:56 AM

@eplaksienko -- the Gadgeteer Adapter module requires the upcoming GoBus 1.5 firmware.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.