Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.

nakchak's Content

There have been 164 items by nakchak (Search limited from 29-April 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#34466 Wow. Three free LOGIC16s courtesy of Saleae...

Posted by nakchak on 30 August 2012 - 09:43 PM in Netduino Go

Congratulations Guys! Just got one myself at work, can echo the sentiments of it being a lovely bit of kit, never ceases to amaze the uses i find for mine... Nak.

#52032 Windows 8.1 on Surface Pro. Debugging issue.

Posted by nakchak on 07 August 2013 - 08:22 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Very odd if MFDeploy works, have you tried changing the deployment method from USB to serial in your VS project settings, save the changes then change back to usb and save your project settings again, then try deploying.

Nak.

Ahh just saw you fixed it :)

Glad all is working for you now.

#52029 Windows 8.1 on Surface Pro. Debugging issue.

Posted by nakchak on 07 August 2013 - 07:36 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Does your ND appear in device manager?

I am unsure if the driver will work with the 8.1 preview, i personally havnt tried 8.1 due to the full reinstall needed once it goes RC.

Nak.

#51977 Wifi coffee maker for beginner.

Posted by nakchak on 06 August 2013 - 11:57 AM in Project Showcase

Nice project, but as Paul said get that relay (and mains voltage wiring!!) safely stowed away in a box, preferably a waterproof one, can never be too careful.

Nak.

#49334 Wifi bridge (e.g. Vonets VAP11G)

Posted by nakchak on 10 May 2013 - 01:50 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Do you really need DHCP for a (i assume) home network?

Personally i always keep at least 20 ip's out of the DHCP for static and/or multiple ip's etc. typically 192.168.1.234 - 192.168.1.254

Even if you dont take the IP out of the DHCP pool if you set your ND to have an IP of 192.168.1.253 its highly unlikely that your router would ever allocate that IP (unless you manage to get 252 other devices connected to your network) as SOHO routers tend to always allocate up the range i.e. lowest numbers first

#52183 Which USB to Serial converter should I use with Netduino

Posted by nakchak on 15 August 2013 - 02:33 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Any USB to serial adaptor will do if you just want a com port on your PC.

If however you are trying to a program a mini with it there have been reports of some of the cheaper leads not working, so spend as much as you can afford, other wise a cheap FTDI bare tail lead is ideal as it only has a USB plug at one end and bare wires at the other.

Nak.

#50100 What to use for RTC backup?

Posted by nakchak on 30 May 2013 - 07:55 AM in General Discussion

@baxter Could always put some opto isolators on your rx TX lines, probably overkill but would stop phantom power problems... Nak.

#50026 Variable with USB name set in MFDeploy - exists?

Posted by nakchak on 27 May 2013 - 03:51 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

The source for mfdeploy is in the netmf porting kit That said I looked at modifying mfdeploy to allow multiple concurrent deployments I.e. Production setup flash 10 nds at once and as far as I remember mfdeploy enumerates the usb ports on ur pc not the nd attached so in your example netduino6 refers to the port not the device (verify by plugging nd into a port you havnt used yet) Hope that helps Nak.

#52147 Using a 7 segment display without a shift register

Posted by nakchak on 14 August 2013 - 01:38 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Using SPI to control a single shiftreg, wouldn't that require a pretty tight loop for multiplexing a 2-digit 7-segment display?

It would be like driving any shift register not particularly difficult. more info in the wiki

personally i would look at chaining a couple of 74LS47's together then just write a byte array to it last time i checked you could get 5 for under a $ on ebay.

Nak.

#52144 Upgrading NP to NP2 problem

Posted by nakchak on 14 August 2013 - 10:53 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Hi mrsupe

I would need a lot more information than you have provided to be able to help in a meaningful manner, i.e. Source Code, Error Messages and possibly build and deployment output.

That said open your projects properties and check that your project is targeting the 4.2 framework, and that your NP2 is recognised by visual studio.  Also install the latest versions of both the netmf SDK and the secretlabs/netduino SDK (on the downloads page of this site)

#51501 Triggertrap Shield on Netduino Plus 2

Posted by nakchak on 17 July 2013 - 10:46 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Probably in a word,

You will need to port all the arduino code in the libraries folder on github to c# though, but it should be do able, really depends on how confident you are porting c/c++ to c#.

Also if the code requires a lot of bit banging you may find the performance is a bit slow due to the way netmf works (you are closer to the metal with an arduino so you don't suffer as great a performance hit)

Nak.

#35118 To compile netduino plus 4.2 with RVDS 4.0

Posted by nakchak on 13 September 2012 - 01:27 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Hi Kevin What compilation command are you using? Secondly are you pointing to the netduinoplus solution Thirdly please post the error message as you receive it from the compiler Nak.

#34898 TinyBooter 4.2 will not start

Posted by nakchak on 09 September 2012 - 10:29 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

it is important to uninstall previous netmf SDKs and only run the latest, as they are backwardly compatible with older revisions Nak.

#52054 Timers not working right, more or less at the speed of light

Posted by nakchak on 09 August 2013 - 03:55 PM in Visual Studio

Pretty sure you get a timestamp with the Interrupt port handler, cant remember if the value is ever initialised though, if memory serves me correctly the time is from power on of the board.  The Advanced Button App in the projects section of the site certainly has the third argument of the handler as a DateTime.

Nak.

#49586 Time Machine

Posted by nakchak on 20 May 2013 - 07:11 AM in General Discussion

Secret labs releasing a flux capacitor for hobbyists???? :o :D

#34111 System.Net.Sockets.TcpListener missing

Posted by nakchak on 23 August 2012 - 04:52 PM in Visual Studio

HHello.

System.Net.Sockets.TcpListener class, not on. NETMF 4.1

I've been trying to find this kind, or an alternative to be used. NETF.

someone else has had this problem?

greetings.

Hi edbrik

Have you tried using the
Socket.Listen()
method?

That's pretty much it AFAIK for socket listeners in netmf, also their is no async versions of the standard socket .net api (again AFAIK).

Nak.

#50219 Static or Instance

Posted by nakchak on 03 June 2013 - 03:41 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

I tend to create do as you suggest, as in spin up instances, that said I use a lot of static and readonly variables as it tends to make memory management easier. The microframework tends to make you think about memory managment and garbage collection more than the full framework does, but that isn't a bad thing and have seen improvements in my own full framework code as a result. Nak.

#34805 SslStream.AuthenticateAsClient Issue (Microsoft.SPOT.Net.Security class)

Posted by nakchak on 07 September 2012 - 10:52 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Use a proxy server on your lan or on the cloud to forward requests from the ND (it also makes it an order of magnitude easier to debug comms, rather than using wire shark and hoping to catch the error response on the nd, i.e. i had a lot of bother with a project when the standard iis error page (YSOD) was to big for the available memory and would cause a out of memory exception, preventing me from see the returned error message), using full .net framework, you would also gain other useful things like async socket connectivity etc. The ND has limited resources and synchronous networking only so IMHO you can only reliably use REST based web services as the verbose payload for SOAP is to much for it to handle, without a lot of buffering and such forth. Whilst i see your point that netmf does indeed support SSL, it is actually up to the device manufacturer to decide which features they include in their firmwares, much the same as any web browser doesn't fully implement W3C spec's Nak.

#34798 SslStream.AuthenticateAsClient Issue (Microsoft.SPOT.Net.Security class)

Posted by nakchak on 07 September 2012 - 09:05 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Its unlikely that you will ever get SSL on the ND+ as the open SSL stack is to large to fit in flash. It may be possible with the GO though. If you need encryption on your ethernet connections simple encryptions (XOR etc) are all that is really available to you for the time being. Nak.

#52002 SPI and networking, concurrant, doesn't work?

Posted by nakchak on 06 August 2013 - 08:57 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Seems odd, i have an application which makes extensive use of the on board sd card, ethernet and spi port.

As Chris suggested are you using the secretlabs name space classes for SPI pin assignments etc.?

Nak.

#34370 specific memory access to sd - ovverride SPI

Posted by nakchak on 29 August 2012 - 01:51 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

You would probably need to modify the firmware to achieve what you want as the file system (FAT) is initialised when the sd card is inserted (note the small micro switch on the socket) triggers an interrupt, which does quite a lot behind the scenes. It may be easier for you to create a a shield which has some flash on it which you can use as you want then use that as a buffer to write to the SD card. Nak.

#33946 Site might as well say "Don't use Netduino"

Posted by nakchak on 20 August 2012 - 02:58 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

The only thing i could add is maybe secret labs should have a blog on the homepage, so that developments, news, and cool projects can be highlighted. Maybe some sort of vision statement or state of affairs message could be posted, so that well secret labs appears less secretive to people who casually look at the site and/or dont trawl through the forums or hang out in chat? Nak.

#50891 Simple sine table

Posted by nakchak on 28 June 2013 - 12:19 PM in General Discussion

Nice, I am currently tinkering with something similar myself, using an ad9831 to create a basic arb sig gen although rather than storing the tables in codespace I am considering using an eeprom, that said I may end up using a CSV file on an SD card as it could be also used for storing arb waveforms... Nak.

#50956 Simple sine table

Posted by nakchak on 30 June 2013 - 10:14 AM in General Discussion

Cool, I've been thinking of that too at some point. It would be really nice to have a PC app where you could draw arb forms in free hand and then upload to the chip/board over USB. Also controlling freq and amplitude from the PC app. Will the AD9831 retrieve output samples from EEPROM as it goes (like a RAMDAC) or will you be uploading a full "period" to the chip before starting it?

Essentially you write to the phase register via spi, im considering making it as a shield and go module at this point in time im still reseraching but it should be doable with one of those cheap $10 dds modules you can find on eBay, when im in front of my pc shall post some links Nak.

#34072 Seven Segment Display Module

Posted by nakchak on 22 August 2012 - 11:30 PM in Netduino Go

Hi Matt In the past i have always used an led to indicate overflow, but i guess thats not an option with the current display design, that said could you illuminate one of the decimal points to indicate overflow? Nak.

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.