Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.

Dixon's Content

There have been 32 items by Dixon (Search limited from 29-March 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#20684 Read SW1 status and check serial for data at same time

Posted by Dixon on 16 November 2011 - 07:43 AM in Visual Basic Support

Hi Netduinerd, You have to declare the switch as InterruptPort, so you will receive an event whenever it changes (as you receive interrupts with serial communication): Private WithEvents SW1 As new InterruptPort(Pins.GPIO_PIN_6, true, Port.ResistorMode.Disabled, Port.InterruptMode.InterruptEdgeHigh)

#20683 Automatic Recovery

Posted by Dixon on 16 November 2011 - 07:34 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

We could also add a Reset feature to a future firmware release. The function is already built into the firmware...we'd just have to create a wrapper for it. You could also create one and build it into your own custom firmware.

The firmware could also be tweaked to activate the hardware reset function in case an exception occurred. Lots of options.

Hi Chris,

Did you manage to include the Reset function within the firmware? if not, how can we tweak it to activate the reset without need to use a GPIO?
Can the firmware be tweaked to just reset the TCP/IP stack?

#20492 Ethernet stop working after around 20-60 minutes running

Posted by Dixon on 11 November 2011 - 07:58 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

I can confirm this bug.

Netduino will stay up for days on a quiet, local LAN. If I take it and plug it into our university's LAN, it freezes within minutes. The board remains responsive to input pin events, but the network connectivity no longer works until you press the reset button.

It seems the Netduino's stack can't handle tons of broadcast traffic created by management services on large lans. (Cisco proprietary, or STP, etc.)

Exact same behavior in my university, after few seconds of our typical 30-45KB/s background broadcast noise, while it worked fine for weeks at home with low traffic.

A potentials work around would be to put a cheap nat router between the netduino and lan, and port forward 80 on the wan side ip to the netduino. That should block all of the broadcast noise, but let in the http requests.

But this kill the beauty of a tiny electronic to connect something to internet. If an additional router was requited, then is better and far cheaper to buy an OpenWRT compliant router such as Linksys 54G for 60€ and program it in C

I would be just happy if it would be a way to reset the eth interface when N+ detect lose of network connectivity

#19561 Netduino Firmware v4.2.0 RC3 (all editions)

Posted by Dixon on 21 October 2011 - 07:50 PM in Beta Firmware and Drivers

Its SimpleStorage included already?

#18797 Socket.Connect without timeout

Posted by Dixon on 04 October 2011 - 07:33 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

4.2 RC1 has a known issue with Socket.Connect().

The issue was discovered by Christopher Gilmore and discussed here

Carlos

#18627 Socket errors after time

Posted by Dixon on 30 September 2011 - 08:48 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

No one else have this network reliability issues? Is it al least posible to reset the network interface by code? Carlos.

#17943 Socket errors after time

Posted by Dixon on 13 September 2011 - 07:38 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Hi guys, I'm having similar problem than ColinR but only just listening. When I have my N+ connected to the campus network (heavily loaded network, mainly because broadcast packets) IP stack hangs after no more than 30 minutes. The rest of the code is working well as switch interrupts are executed toggling the led status, and a record is write to the event log within a text file on the SD card every 5 minutes, but network connectivity is completely dead until I reset the board. Same test on my home network works fine for days or weeks. Eventlog shows that the free memory is always 24K and CPU is under 1% load, but still get the same results in both 4.1 and 4.2 RC1 firmwares. If there is no easy explanation on this bug, at least it would be nice to be able to reset the network interface by software, so I can do it if detect there is a problem.

#17912 Netduino Mini -using same COMPORT for deployment and debugging

Posted by Dixon on 13 September 2011 - 08:58 AM in General Discussion

Hi Nissim, I'm afraid you can't. You will need to delete the application before you can deploy again. Check http://forums.netdui...-netduino-mini/ Regards, Carlos.

#17569 SimpleStorage

Posted by Dixon on 05 September 2011 - 11:39 AM in Beta Firmware and Drivers

Hi Chris, Thanks for the tip, this was what I was doing when I saw the window in MFDeploy that allowed me to select the areas to erase, including SimpleStorage. So if I understand it right, there is no way to access it right now even thought it is already build in 4.2. May I ask you a for a rough estimation on when post-RTM will be published? Carlos.

#17530 SimpleStorage

Posted by Dixon on 04 September 2011 - 03:37 PM in Beta Firmware and Drivers

When I were erasing my Netduino Mini because I made the mistake of opening COM1 in my code (which turned out to conflict with the debugging as I use TTL channel for it) I spot in the MFDeploy options on erase that there is already a 4k SimpleStorage area. I think I read it under test somewhere. Can we use it already? How? If not, when will we be able? In a Mini without SD card it's a very important feature to store user configuration!

#17519 Netduino Mini Firmware v4.2.0 RC1

Posted by Dixon on 04 September 2011 - 11:57 AM in Beta Firmware and Drivers

Thanks Chris. By the way, is there any known issue with the debounce filter for InterruptPort on Netduino mini? I'm trying 4.2 RC1 and I get lots of interrupts when input pin changes, as if debounce filter were not working

#17486 Pragma #IF Netduino

Posted by Dixon on 03 September 2011 - 02:49 PM in General Discussion

Is there any pragma instruction we can use to conditionally compile modules including the right definitions for each type of hardware? For instance: using System; using System.IO; using System.IO.Ports; using System.Threading; using Microsoft.SPOT; using Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware; using SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware; #if NetduinoMini using SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware.NetduinoMini; #end #if NetduinoPlus using SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware.NetduinoPlus; #end so we can create generic modules?

#17432 Netduino Mini Firmware v4.2.0 RC1

Posted by Dixon on 02 September 2011 - 08:28 AM in Beta Firmware and Drivers

Notes on new SD card support
This firmware includes support for SD cards and System.IO filesystem support.

It includes two functions in the new SecretLabs.NETMF.IO namespace:
StorageDevice.MountSD(...);
StorageDevice.Unmount(...);

Both the MountSD(...) and Unmount(...) features are fully implemented.

You will need to manually add the SecretLabs.NETMF.IO assembly as a reference in your project to use the SD feature. You will also need to add the System.IO assembly.

Hi Chris, what is this new feature for? the previous firmware did not need to mount or unmount the SD in order to be able to use it. What's new now?

By the way, I always wanted to ask if all the writes to the SD are committed immediately or are buffered and lazily wrote in some way.

#17156 Can the Netduino Plus be powered by a 5V 2A input that is also powering some...

Posted by Dixon on 27 August 2011 - 03:30 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Hi Kenny, You always can use an USB cable and power the board at 5v by it. Carlos

#17149 Sprinkler System Controller on Engadget!

Posted by Dixon on 27 August 2011 - 10:35 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Really nice project! I'm guessing how much hours did you expend on it, I'm sure that a lot of them! It's a pity to need a man on the middle PC, but it's true that Internet is a rude environment for a N+. One idea would be to use a N+ as front end, acting as a gateway; external phone would access to it through the firewall and this N+ forwards the query to the servicing N+ (the actual one). Gateway N+ can also be the one contacting the weather forecast servers. At the same time service N+ would ping&query the gateway N+ every short time and will power cycle it if it do not response (gateway N+ is powered through a relee controlled by service N+) It seems complex, but not requiring a PC worth the pain..

#17003 My N+ is dead

Posted by Dixon on 24 August 2011 - 06:34 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

One month ago

#16990 My N+ is dead

Posted by Dixon on 23 August 2011 - 07:55 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Hi Dan T, Cat 5 connector has the pins perfectly, but checking the pins with a multimeter shows that all the 8 pins are short-circuited!!! Chris: Actually there is nothing at all connected to the board, and both less brights. Yesterday when I connected the board to the PC it showed "Netduino" for a second, and then disappeared, but as I erased the micro, now it doesn't show anything I'm guessing the ethernet part is burned somehow, but the micro might be ok. I don't know if I should contact Sparkfun for warranty (as I was not doing anything with the board when it failed, it was just connected to the LAN cable and it stopped working) or maybe it would be a good idea to replace the "HS1198" transformer and try...

#16957 My N+ is dead

Posted by Dixon on 22 August 2011 - 08:54 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Hi, I have been using my N+ connected to the network for a couple of weeks without problems, but suddenly the three LAN LEDs are not brighting anymore, and the DM9161 IC gets warm very quickly after the power is applied to the board. I tried erasing the micro by connecting the testpoint close to D0 to 3V3 but still the same problem. It was working and suddenly it stopped doing so. What can be wrong? Regards, Carlos.

#15360 Netduino Plus update: 50% more RAM

Posted by Dixon on 12 July 2011 - 10:30 AM in Beta Firmware and Drivers

Hi Chris, Is this 50% more ram modification already included within the 4.2 beta that is actually available?

#14389 Netduino Plus Firmware v4.2.0 BETA 1

Posted by Dixon on 16 June 2011 - 06:17 PM in Beta Firmware and Drivers

I will continue testing in deep tomorrow, but after flashing the TinyBooter it seems to work like a charm!! As I tought TinyBooter was only intended to boot the TinyCLR I thought it was not neccesary to upgrade it. Now I know something more ;) Thanks Carlos.

#14387 Netduino Plus Firmware v4.2.0 BETA 1

Posted by Dixon on 16 June 2011 - 05:38 PM in Beta Firmware and Drivers

While you're waiting for it to start, what happens if you PING your device from MFDeploy? Does it return "TinyBooter"? Nothing?

Pinging... Error: No response from device

Then TinyBooter after some time. The weak thing is that "netduinoPlus_NetduinoPlus" appears in the combo immediately after I connect it

#14370 Netduino Plus Firmware v4.2.0 BETA 1

Posted by Dixon on 16 June 2011 - 10:16 AM in Beta Firmware and Drivers

Hi, I upgraded my N+ to 4.2, but only ER_CONFIG and ER_FLASH files. Is it neccesary to upgrade the TinyBooterDecompressor.bin as well? If so, this is only done with SAM-BA, right? What happens if the TinyBooter is not upgraded but the TinyCLR is? As a (i think unrelated) question, I'm observing the TinyCLR is taking very long to start up some times (up to 30 secs) with and without the Eth cable connected. I'm using fixed IP. What could be wrong? Thanks in advance, Carlos.

#14310 Save Custom Settings

Posted by Dixon on 14 June 2011 - 06:37 AM in General Discussion

Our first integration pieces are ADC and PWM (for the new object models) and misc. bugfixes--but this is the next item on the list after those. In the meantime, you can certainly store data on an SD card. [Also, the in-flash data storage will be for things like settings that don't change very often--not for constantly writing data.]

Hi Chris,

I'm aware of the flash aging problem, I just need to write a static setting (around 10 bytes) that will be seldom modified with the config of the application, and that's why SD or EEPROM is an overkill. I don't mind if it's Simple Storage, EWR, or ADO.NET against and internal instance of SQL Server 2010 Micro Edition, I don't care if the performance is good or not, of if it requires 20K of RAM, as I have a lot of it I don't use.
I know there are many people that have more resource constrained applications and might not want to consume extra RAM or FLASH for this, that's why I think the best way to approach it would be as a module using .NET MF APIs so people can choose to include it in the project, or not and use external storage.

Whatever will be OK. Is there any way to access the FLASH memory rawly? If I can take ownership of a FLASH block and rewrite it by myself it will work. I can even use two and implement a corruption-protecting algorithm that writes alternatively on both so integrity can be checked at startup, and old version of the config will always exist.

Carlos.

#14276 Save Custom Settings

Posted by Dixon on 13 June 2011 - 11:24 AM in General Discussion

There's a new feature (SimpleStorage) in .NET MF 4.2 that we're looking at leveraging for this. .NET MF 4.2 will be in beta soon, and then we can start testing the implementation.

Hi Chris,

.NET MF 4.2 is available now. Does it include this capability? If so, how is it possible to use it? For my vote, with a hundred of bytes would be more than enough, for bigger data external EEPROM or SD would be justified.

#14271 Netduino send ICMP Ping ?

Posted by Dixon on 13 June 2011 - 08:07 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Did you ever work this out?

I'm thinking to ping my gateway to determine if my network on the netduino has died, or if the internet is down. If the network on the Netduino is to blame, I have to request a reboot. But I can't have the Netduino rebooting every minute while the internet is down.

How do you reboot the netduino by code?

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.