Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.

Michel Trahan's Content

There have been 155 items by Michel Trahan (Search limited from 07-June 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#12163 How to access hardware timers/counters?

Posted by Michel Trahan on 17 April 2011 - 05:26 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

perhaps what we need is a good way to launch native code routines off of timer interrupts?

And a tutorial on how to do that (documentation and sample code)

It would be great if the three timer/counters in the Netduino ARM7 CPU were exposed ...

I agree !

#13233 How to manual read/write internal flash?

Posted by Michel Trahan on 13 May 2011 - 02:42 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

.NET MF 4.2 (beta coming by summer) includes a new "simple storage" mechanism for storing data on-chip. We'll be embracing this in the Netduino 4.2 firmware to enable you to read/write data from your Netduino app as well.

Just to see that I understand : lets say you have a normal netduino with XBee but no SD card, you could send info to the netduino that would persist even after power recycling (like encryption key or remote ip address of neighbor sensor or ...) ? That could be interesting :)

#13250 How to manual read/write internal flash?

Posted by Michel Trahan on 13 May 2011 - 08:27 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Yes, you'll have 4KB or more of storage space to store data. It only has 10,000 rewrite cycles for flash rewrites...so you won't want to rewrite it frequently...but it'll be awesome for configuration data.

Quite ! specially for very small remote sensors using the mini ! Configuration yes, daily values ... not really since 10,000 cycles (about 27 years if one per day)

And of course, Netduino Plus has MicroSD support...so you can store data there easily too.

Was thinking of the mini or normal ones :)

#13407 How to pronounce "Netduino"?

Posted by Michel Trahan on 18 May 2011 - 12:09 PM in General Discussion

Isn't it Net dwee no ?

#13468 How to pronounce "Netduino"?

Posted by Michel Trahan on 20 May 2011 - 02:03 AM in General Discussion

Where are you come from Michel?...French Canada?

I do come from Montreal, province of Quebec, Canada, and a pure bastard (Irish, French, Indian(12th generation lol), and Iberville as a ancestor) (with this mixture bastard was the only appropriate one lol) and I'm proud to be :)

You should see my smile :)

And I do pronounce doo-ee-no exactly like dwee-no lol it's just a question of speed ? :)

#12624 HT1632 interface (alpha)

Posted by Michel Trahan on 28 April 2011 - 11:24 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

I'll have to try this out :)

#12685 I2C Help - Data not appearing in the output

Posted by Michel Trahan on 30 April 2011 - 12:23 PM in General Discussion

Would that solve our Math library problem ? LOL

#12010 I2C Where do I start

Posted by Michel Trahan on 12 April 2011 - 01:17 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

However, some sensors/devices may have those built-in (e.g. Sparkfun breakout boards).

Boy do we need a tutorial LOL

what do you mean by 'encapsulate all this'?

Sorry, my lack of knowledge ... I didn't know why it was created ! Thanks !

#11999 I2C Where do I start

Posted by Michel Trahan on 12 April 2011 - 12:41 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Sorry for the confusion.

LOL It made my point clear though ! LOL

Did I understand correctly, you ALWAYS need pullup resistors ? or only when there is more than one sensor connected to it ? And using a I2CBus class to encapsulate all this would be nice to have (to clean up the code) ?

#11995 I2C Where do I start

Posted by Michel Trahan on 12 April 2011 - 12:21 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

There need to be two pull-up resistors connected between I2C signal lines (TWCK, TWD) and positive voltage (+5V or +3.3V depending on the devices connected). The value can vary from ~1.5 kΩ up to ~47 kΩ, 2.2 kΩ or 10 kΩ will work fine. The exact value would have to be calculated based on the bus characteristics, i.e. capacitance, number of devices connected, speed etc.

And if I see only SCL and SDA ... no TWCK nor TWD ... This is why we need a tutorial ... with some diagram using a netduino and some sensors (ex: Accelerometer ADXL345, Magnetometer HMC5843 and Gyroscope ITG3200). Real example with real sensors ...

I do understand that hardware is hard (pun intended) ... please help the newbies like me with some tutorials with real things connected, not just LEDs :) I am willing to help but I need input ... hard input !

Mike who wants to play with sensors without burning them !

#11969 I2C Where do I start

Posted by Michel Trahan on 11 April 2011 - 10:52 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

It would be nice if there was a beginners tutorial on using I2C with the Netduino. Not just the code but connecting multiple devices to the bus. I know your suppose to use pull up resistors but I can't find any information on when to use them what type or how often. But a short and sweet tutorial would be great to answer these type of question us beginners have. And it would have the added benefit of being easily found.

I agree ! Beginners Tutorial Please :)

#11550 Kalman Filters

Posted by Michel Trahan on 01 April 2011 - 01:56 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Has anybody implemented a Kalman filter on the Netduino that runs with good performance?

Planning to ... but just started !

Mike.

#12949 LCD question

Posted by Michel Trahan on 08 May 2011 - 03:35 PM in General Discussion

You did say 16x2 so why do you set it to 16x4 in the code ? And I did it using 1K potentiometer for the brightness and it works fine :)

#12954 LCD question

Posted by Michel Trahan on 08 May 2011 - 07:26 PM in General Discussion

I am having difficulty connecting the LCD through a 74HC595 ... Problem solved ... usb froze and the potentiometer I was using was too strong ... lol cool !

#13148 Little Tutorial on the NetduinoMini and XBee Connections

Posted by Michel Trahan on 12 May 2011 - 12:30 AM in Netduino Mini

#12146 Looking for hardware specific resources

Posted by Michel Trahan on 16 April 2011 - 01:57 PM in General Discussion

I ordered my Netduino Plus

Welcome to the community :)

Is there a reference document or any other resource that has the complete list of these types of functions and there parameters?

Working on it !

There is a bunch of code samples all over the place (and some in the sandbox.netduino.com) but I am working on a series of formal Tutorials (with Fritzing diagrams, documentation and code sample) and, I am also planning to get this list of functions/types available to us in the SecretLabs namespace (Chris I'll need your input for that).

It should be organized and easy to find :)

In the meantime, search the forums using keywords like SPI or I2C, you should find something that helps :)

Mike.

#12152 Looking for hardware specific resources

Posted by Michel Trahan on 16 April 2011 - 03:26 PM in General Discussion

Netduino-specific libraries (SecretLabs.NETMF.*) do not currently have any documentation available online

It is needed by people like me ... so I'll be working on it for sure

#12335 Making the Netduino a little bit closer to a RTOS device

Posted by Michel Trahan on 21 April 2011 - 11:21 AM in General Discussion

calls to native methods are blocking, so the execution engine has to wait until the native method finishes.

That made me think about how we used to do sampling of brainwaves for consciousness detection under anaesthesia. First capture data and nothing else, then massage it (cumulate to get base wave, filter the 60hz that is everywhere, etc...). Since it is blocking, does it gives you full access to the mcu ? for only one process : capture data. That would be perfect.

So, correct me if I'm wrong, native code would allow you to stop everything else (gc included?) to capture clean data (maximum time allowed ?) and then back to managed code for ease of programming and analysis. I want one :)

you could load FreeRTOS on your Netduino...

That would be an interesting tutorial for advanced users :) and what is the language used in FreeRTOS ?
I'll check, thanks for posting :)

#13125 MFDeploy Hangs

Posted by Michel Trahan on 11 May 2011 - 02:29 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

NVM, used the hold button down + erase technique eventually worked.

Timing is the key :)

#13168 MFDeploy: Deployment Status "Executing Application"

Posted by Michel Trahan on 12 May 2011 - 12:37 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

You guys are too fast lol ... I clicked on the #x and copied the url it points to :) And welcome to the community !

#13147 MFDeploy: Deployment Status "Executing Application"

Posted by Michel Trahan on 12 May 2011 - 12:19 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Several people have mentioned using a "hold button down" technique to unfreeze MFDeploy.

This one ?

#12332 Microsoft video on Internet of Things

Posted by Michel Trahan on 21 April 2011 - 10:51 AM in General Discussion

Hmm - a bit on the 'content free' side?

You think ? LoL

Lots of fine looking buildings though!

Saw the inside of them a couple of years ago when doing a job interview (6 out of 7 meetings, they usually give you your office key at the 7th ... missed it by that much), and the inside is great ! You should see the cafeteria, with their own chefs (yeah read chefs, with an s) lol

But the best was that on every floor there was softdrink distributor (free that is) with every imaginable kind of softdrink :)

#13471 More Documentation, Please ...

Posted by Michel Trahan on 20 May 2011 - 02:19 AM in General Discussion

Still working on some, but got diverted by difficulties learning DotNetNuke and WordPress menus ...

#12486 More RAM

Posted by Michel Trahan on 25 April 2011 - 05:33 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

you may take a look at the GHI's boards: they already offer something you are dreaming for!

Might have to when I start to really build the quadcopter, might need the speed ... but for now, I have to much fun here, this community is too great !

Be free and happy :)

#12484 More RAM

Posted by Michel Trahan on 25 April 2011 - 03:37 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Pity :( What about a netduino mega version ? speedier ARM9 with a lots of memory ? Just dreaming I know :)

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.