Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.

Eric Burdo's Content

There have been 130 items by Eric Burdo (Search limited from 27-September 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#14110 :( Bricked Netduino :(

Posted by Eric Burdo on 08 June 2011 - 10:21 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

I and others on here use x64 so I'm not sure why you had issues. I just checked the release notes for 2.10 and they say 64 bit is supported and tested...

I'm glad you got it working again!

-dan

I have Win7 x64 - had to use a Win7 x32 machine to make it work. Couldn't get the x64 version of SAM-BA to work (unknown as to why).

#5454 Reading a photoresistor

Posted by Eric Burdo on 28 November 2010 - 01:04 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

James... a quick check. Are you using the AREF pin? Have you connected that to your voltage output? I've found that if you don't connect the AREF, you get one of two results. A lot of bouncing for values... or a pretty stead MAX value (usually, 1024?)

#6081 Special Netduino Pluses on sale.

Posted by Eric Burdo on 14 December 2010 - 03:49 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

I'd like to eventually make a garden monitor to monitor soil moisture, light levels, temp, etc.

I'm considering building a few of those this spring, to put in some green-houses around the area. Fun project for me and my son.

#1963 Power Converter? What are those things called?

Posted by Eric Burdo on 08 September 2010 - 08:31 PM in General Discussion

Yeah, it's a fun little kit if you want a quick time killer. Took me about 10 minutes to put it together. That includes warming the iron up ;-)

My soldering skills aren't that good yet... so I've been hesitant to "practice" on this item.. :)

#1754 Power Converter? What are those things called?

Posted by Eric Burdo on 04 September 2010 - 12:49 PM in General Discussion

That's on my wish list... maybe for Christmas... :)

#1982 Power Converter? What are those things called?

Posted by Eric Burdo on 09 September 2010 - 03:14 AM in General Discussion

This is a great item to practice on! Plenty of different styles of components and nothing is extremely heat sensitive.

If you are still weary, get a proto board and a bunch of headers, then just go down the line soldering.

I think one of the most beginner mistakes I see are people who remove the iron right after they melt the solder. Don't do that! hold the iron on the joint for a second to let the solder flow before pulling it off.

I bought one of those "learn to solder" kits from SparkFun too. Or maybe from MakerShed... can't remember which. I've desoldered many components from old boards... and done some basic stuff... just minimal on a circuit board before.

I'm a software guy, who likes to dabble in hardware... which is why I like the netduino so much... so easy to program!

#1948 Power Converter? What are those things called?

Posted by Eric Burdo on 08 September 2010 - 05:31 PM in General Discussion

Your basically looking at lab power supplies. Just saying "power supply" can be quite generic.

For hobby use, pretty much anything from a reputable dealer will work. If you need a super basic 3.3V - 5V linear regulator board: http://www.sparkfun....products_id=114

I have one of those I use for very small quick and dirty stuff.

I have one of those from SparkFun... just haven't put it together yet... :)

#1757 Default device

Posted by Eric Burdo on 04 September 2010 - 12:59 PM in Visual Studio

It might be possible to write an extensibility item to do this (formally called add-ins)?

#2882 Friends I need to get some basic knowledge

Posted by Eric Burdo on 25 September 2010 - 03:23 PM in General Discussion

For grins and giggles... anyone have code/breadboard plans to run a 7 segment number display w/out using a shift register?

I cobbled together something from some of the arduino tutorials, and some help from Google. :)

I'll write it all up and post it later this weekend.

#2796 Friends I need to get some basic knowledge

Posted by Eric Burdo on 24 September 2010 - 07:31 PM in General Discussion

Hi, This thread here is a good one to start with... http://forums.netdui...-with-netduino/

#2873 Friends I need to get some basic knowledge

Posted by Eric Burdo on 25 September 2010 - 11:38 AM in General Discussion

3) One thing I would like to ask is, I want to show Number using Number LED. is it possible that in that hardware.

For grins and giggles... anyone have code/breadboard plans to run a 7 segment number display w/out using a shift register?

#1755 5mm Color Cycling LED

Posted by Eric Burdo on 04 September 2010 - 12:54 PM in General Discussion

Websteria, What shield is that you have attached to your Netduino?

#1901 5mm Color Cycling LED

Posted by Eric Burdo on 07 September 2010 - 06:23 PM in General Discussion

That's the arduino protoshield from sparkfun, with a little half length breadboard on it... Easy to assemble and useful! :-)

Thanks... I'll have to pick one up. :)

#3372 where to buy the NDplus ?

Posted by Eric Burdo on 01 October 2010 - 05:28 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Lots of Netduino Pluses will end up in stockings or will otherwise be given as gifts this December...I can't imagine what kinds of cool things people will be building over the holidays!

Chris

Oooh... stocking stuffers... I know a few folks who would like one... and maybe another 2 for me... :D

#3366 where to buy the NDplus ?

Posted by Eric Burdo on 01 October 2010 - 04:15 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

ok ,thanks :(

To my knowledge... they are all sold out. They went pretty quick.

You could either wait (not sure of the release date) or... buy a Netduino, and get a plus later on?

#2011 Flat, light buttons

Posted by Eric Burdo on 09 September 2010 - 12:28 PM in General Discussion

Sometimes they are referred to as "momentary contact switches". I think if you contact places like Mouser.com and Jameco.com (and probably Sparkfun.com) you can check out their online/offline catalogs. Being that flat... you might get stuck with a surface mount... which is harder soldering.

#2177 An old geeks outlook on the Netduino and the Arduino - beginners

Posted by Eric Burdo on 12 September 2010 - 07:34 PM in Project Showcase

Welcome Frank! I don't have as much history as you... but similar tendencies (the pig-headed part at least!). And... A welcome from Maine here (Bangor area).

#2500 Controlling a LED Intensity

Posted by Eric Burdo on 19 September 2010 - 05:37 PM in General Discussion

Here is the link to be nice to you guys ;)
http://forums.netdui.../103-pwmsample/

Thanks... I'll give that a shot.

And I really think I need to buy another netduino... I have one in the middle of a project, and it would be handy to have a second one. :)

#2420 Controlling a LED Intensity

Posted by Eric Burdo on 18 September 2010 - 12:18 PM in General Discussion

Digital IO is only On/Off. So, do I have to use Analog Output, or PWM to control the intensity of a LED? I'm assuming it would be the same concept as controlling a Piezoelectric Buzzer, which would be PWM.

#2451 Controlling a LED Intensity

Posted by Eric Burdo on 19 September 2010 - 12:32 AM in General Discussion

Thanks guys... I think that may be my next project to tackle... I want to do a Knight Rider/Cylon display (a fun project to learn with).

#5245 Will nduino help me learn electronics?

Posted by Eric Burdo on 24 November 2010 - 01:40 PM in General Discussion

Also, pick up a copy of Make: Electronics (great book). And then follow along this blog (it does all the experiments in the book). http://handsonelectr...s.blogspot.com/

#5495 Netdunio TRNG

Posted by Eric Burdo on 29 November 2010 - 05:19 PM in General Discussion

You probably already understand this by now, but I figured it be nice to have a short explanation of the methodology for the non EE people here.

That would be me!

Thanks for the explanation. :)

#3024 Back from MakerFaire...

Posted by Eric Burdo on 27 September 2010 - 02:31 PM in General Discussion

In that picture, it looks like the USB cable from the laptop plugs back into itself. :)

#2502 Back to the dump # 2

Posted by Eric Burdo on 19 September 2010 - 05:43 PM in Project Showcase

Hi Frank... that's cool... I haven't yet been to the dump to go picking yet. I do have a couple of big plastic totes that I dump old electronics into. Toys, radios, calculators, etc. Plus, some stuff from The Great Internet Migratory Box Of Electronics Junk. http://www.tgimboej.org/ I've also stripped old computers, so lots of switches, LEDs, small fans and motors from CD Roms and Floppy drives. Friends save some stuff for me too... plus I pickup stuff at yard sales and clearances too.

#13882 Solicitation for Presentation Ideas

Posted by Eric Burdo on 01 June 2011 - 09:38 PM in General Discussion

Eric,
Thank you for your input. I had completely forgotten to mention specifics of the tool chain!

What part of Alaska are you from? I live in Chugiak (a suburb of Anchorage).

-dan

Hi Dan,

I lived in Anchorage for about a year... then Wasilla for 6. My father was stationed at Elmendorf.

And yes... the tool chain is nice... free software (that works) is always good. ;)

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.