Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.

Chris Walker's Content

There have been 606 items by Chris Walker (Search limited from 17-June 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#62402 Scott Hanselman just flashed a Netduino Wifi at BUILD

Posted by Chris Walker on 03 May 2015 - 01:00 AM in Netduino 3

Hi Dr Who,

And what about MakerShed? I can't recall how Microcenter obtained both of the earlier versions that I selected, but that's where I bought them.

More resellers, both US-based and international, will be coming online this month :)

If you have a favorite Netduino reseller, please let us and them know you'd like to get your new Netduino from them.

Chris

#62415 Scott Hanselman just flashed a Netduino Wifi at BUILD

Posted by Chris Walker on 04 May 2015 - 12:58 AM in Netduino 3

Hey Pete,

I supplied the images for the demo app Jon wrote :)

It was great to see the NETMF side of Microsoft IoT represented at //build/--including in the keynote.

We'll "blame" you for the demo app images--in a "let's everyone virtually hug Pete brown" kind of way :)

Thanks for all your enthusiasm and support!

Chris

#62315 Scott Hanselman just flashed a Netduino Wifi at BUILD

Posted by Chris Walker on 30 April 2015 - 06:45 PM in Netduino 3

Hi neslekkim,

Seems like it's available on Amazon now, but as always, Not possible to buy these for international buyers from Amazon..

Both Adafruit and Mouser have Netduino 3 Wi-Fi boards in stock, with international shipping. [If you don't see them in stock on their sites...just drop them a line.]

For international customers: the Netduino 3 Wi-Fi boards even have CE-compliant Wi-Fi radios :)

I found two things interresting.. go bus ports.. And you have removed the Netduino Go..

So I guess support for Go is offically dropped now?

As we build up the number of available GoBus modules, Netduino Go will be an awesome choice for projects that need more than three modules at a time. We can only fit three boards in our 3-column hardware page, so we've swapped it out for now, but it's still in production, is fully supported and is going to get new firmware this week as well :)

Chris

#62323 Scott Hanselman just flashed a Netduino Wifi at BUILD

Posted by Chris Walker on 30 April 2015 - 07:44 PM in Netduino 3

Hi neslekkim,

VBAT, I think it was discussed before, regarding go etc, Why do everthing need to be an arduino header?, look at other boards, no issue with adding an extra header?, or even pads to solder on, or even pads to add an cr2025/2032 batterholder on the backside...

One of the keystone features of the Netduino mainboards is wide electrical compatibility with Arduino shields. We try to keep things clean and compatible. I have seen some boards replace AREF with VBAT and other tricks...but these can lead to compatibility issues. And adding another header pin can confuse users.

If having an RTC battery backup if a big request, it's definitely possible to create a GoBus module to support that. Which would give us that kind of great RTC and VBAT flexibility without the complication.

All that said, we did leave the RTC crystal pins free in the Netduino firmware...so VBAT and RTC could be added without too much trouble in custom hardware designs.

And gobus, there are 6 spi's on the chip, how many are in use total?

Full schematic can be found here:
http://www.netduino....i_schematic.pdf

MicroSD gets a SPI bus. Ethernet/Wi-Fi gets a SPI bus. Pins D11-D13 get a SPI bus. And the three GoBus ports get a SPI bus.

We packed so much into this hardware that there are only three I/O pins free: a JTAG test pin (which we leave free due to an age-old STM32 errata) and the two slow crystal pins. :)

Chris

#62320 Scott Hanselman just flashed a Netduino Wifi at BUILD

Posted by Chris Walker on 30 April 2015 - 07:10 PM in Netduino 3

Hi neslekkim,

Forgot to ask, are the gobus ports on same channel?, or do we get the pleasure of three channels?

The three GoBus ports share one SPI transport channel. They each have a unique UART channel for module reflashing purposes.

And RTC, I guess that is still not implemented here either?, the chip has it..

There's no VBAT pin on the Arduino headers, so powering up the built-in RTC didn't make sense. If there are enough requests for this, we could make an RTC GoBus module (with coin cell holder) that auto-reloaded the time on boot. And for commercial customers deriving boards from the open source designs...we left the RTC crystal pins free :)

Full schematics are on the product specs page.

Chris

#62319 Scott Hanselman just flashed a Netduino Wifi at BUILD

Posted by Chris Walker on 30 April 2015 - 07:07 PM in Netduino 3

Hi neslekkim,

Mouser have still expensive shipping, but I sent an email to adafruit, on the buy page on the product info, there are no mentions of Adafruit.

We'll add a link to Adafruit on the product's "where to buy" page as soon as the product is live on their site :)

And things like this, how are they going to be used since one have to use other resellers to get stuff?
http://forums.netdui...u-gift/?p=61415

For gift coupons and gift certificates: we will be launching an online gift shop on 30-Jun-2015. Including affordable USPS international shipping.

Chris

#63770 Running a VB program -- it remembers the old serial port

Posted by Chris Walker on 04 August 2015 - 11:55 PM in Netduino Mini

Hi Dr. Who,

Regarding remembering the last used serial port--you're referring to Visual Studio, correct? The NETMF SDK plug-in for will remember the last-used deployment port unless it is manually changed.

[Unfortunately if you're using USB devices or virtual COM ports, it can also appear to have changed the port because it can't show your previously-selected port. I know...confusing. If it ever gives you trouble, just change the port selection quickly and then change it to the port you want to use.]

On the larger post: what are you building? :) I assume it's not a Dalek.

Chris

#60602 RS232 Communication

Posted by Chris Walker on 02 November 2014 - 04:19 PM in Netduino Mini

Hi beerygaz,

Based on the serial dump, it looks like the Netduino Mini is booting properly.  Since you are using RS232 for transport...is there any chance that your serial adapter is USB-TTL instead of USB-RS232?  Or is using a non-compliant voltage swing?  Or that the PC's TX pin isn't connected securely?

Chris

#60664 RS232 Advice

Posted by Chris Walker on 09 November 2014 - 01:02 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Hi home-ent,

...but the second error is

The type or namespace name 'SerialPort' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

why is the namespace not recognised?

Do you have Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware.SerialPort.dll added as an assembly reference in your project? We include this in the default Netduino templates--but if you created a project from scratch you'll want to pull this in if you're using SerialPorts.

Welcome to the Netduino community,

Chris

#60828 Revive Netduino plus 2

Posted by Chris Walker on 01 December 2014 - 08:55 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Hi Pete,

If you hold the pushbutton while powering up your board via USB, what shows up in Device Manager? It should appear as "STM32 Device in DFU Mode" or similar.

Chris

#60849 Revive Netduino plus 2

Posted by Chris Walker on 03 December 2014 - 05:12 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Hi Peter,

Grab a copy of the 4.3.1 firmware which comes with NetduinoUpdate:
http://forums.netdui...-firmware-v431/

Then run Netduino Update. You should see your device. Configure it as a Netduino Plus 2, if it doesn't already show up as that, and then flash it with the latest firmware. It will automatically erase-and-reflash your device to factory condition.

Does that help get you up and running?

Chris

#62602 Reset pin

Posted by Chris Walker on 11 May 2015 - 03:23 AM in Netduino Mini

Hi Dan,

If we can get NETMF 4.3 onto Netduino Plus 1 (with community support of a managed link layer driver), we can go back and upgrade Netduino Mini to NETMF 4.3 as well. Right now an upgrade for Netduino Mini is not scheduled.

Chris

#61570 Reset N2+ to firmware

Posted by Chris Walker on 09 February 2015 - 04:29 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Hi kalio20,

You can get the factory default 4.2 firmware here:
http://forums.netdui...-v422-update-2/

Chris

#63802 reg. Visual studio 2010

Posted by Chris Walker on 06 August 2015 - 09:24 PM in General Discussion

Hi Nithin,

You can probably use VS2010 for the 4.2 firmware on the Netduino gen1/gen2 gear.

But for Netduino 3 you will need VS2013 or newer. There is a free version available for download, linked on the Downloads page.

Chris

#63807 reg. Visual studio 2010

Posted by Chris Walker on 07 August 2015 - 02:51 AM in General Discussion

What's the difference between 'firmware' and the NETMF ?

NETMF is the runtime inside the firmware. Netduino 4.2.x firmware uses NETMF 4.2, Netduino 4.3.x firmware uses NETMF 4.3, etc.

Chris

#64185 Refreshing Bootloader of Netduino 3

Posted by Chris Walker on 23 September 2015 - 05:27 PM in Netduino 3

Hi Greg,

With Netduino gen2/gen3, we have a new streamlined procedure for updating the board.

Grab a copy of Netduino Update (included in the latest firmware over on the downloads page). Then press the button on your Netduino while powering it up via your PC's USB port. Then, in Netduino Update, select the device and press "update". This will erase and reflash the board.

If you want to completely erase the board for some other reason (native code hacking, etc.), you can also erase the board completely using ST's STDFU Tester (bundled with ST DFUSE tools).

Does that get you up and running?

Chris

#64244 Refreshing Bootloader of Netduino 3

Posted by Chris Walker on 06 October 2015 - 01:55 AM in Netduino 3

Hi Greg,

Do you have screenshots of the procedure you're using for flashing the board via DFU? Let's focus on the ST DFU tools for now...those are the "failsafe backup" and should work regardless.

Chris

#62748 Recommended HTTP API for the future?

Posted by Chris Walker on 19 May 2015 - 07:39 PM in Netduino 3

Hi Rob,

For client, today's most powerful/best option is to use the HttpWebReqest object...or NetworkStream/SslStream.

That said, there are also some great helper libraries out there that you can use (if you prefer those over the core .NET classes).

Chris

#61593 Rebooting Netduino 2 Plus

Posted by Chris Walker on 11 February 2015 - 03:00 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Hi bgreer5050,

Give this a try...
https://msdn.microso...y/hh401250.aspx

Chris

#64071 Reading an InterruptPort from a thread does not work!

Posted by Chris Walker on 10 September 2015 - 12:00 AM in Visual Studio

Hi shimoda,

I'm assuming that the problem here is that you're opening the same interruptport on _two_ different threads. Ports can only be instantiated once--and then they must be disposed of before they can be opened on another thread.

Of course this could be another issue. The first thing I'd try is moving the InterruptPort constructor from the variable definition to the Run function...so that you know when the port is being instantiated, and so that VS helpfully alerts you if you try opening the port twice.

Does that help get you on the right path?

Chris

#63703 RAM storage ?

Posted by Chris Walker on 29 July 2015 - 09:41 AM in Netduino 3

Hi JoopC,

You have networking running on Netduino 3 Wi-Fi, a potentially larger managed stack, etc.

We're still tuning things and we expect to be able to free up even more RAM. Enabling some of the more advanced power/memory management scenarios in the future (like turning off networking at boot) could potentially free up more RAM still.

BTW, we'll be publishing firmware next week which you can manually flash to your Netduino 3 Wi-Fi that will turn off networking and free up more memory, for applications where that is interesting.

Chris

#63251 Rain monitor with Adafruit-SSD1351 OLED display

Posted by Chris Walker on 26 June 2015 - 02:12 AM in Project Showcase

Hi maruta,

Very cool. I love the umbrella graphic! Thanks so much for sharing this with us.

And welcome to the Netduino community!

Chris

#61740 Question comparing Netduino vs Arduino

Posted by Chris Walker on 28 February 2015 - 05:54 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Hi mcfd,

Bug list:
* Ethernet hangs and need to be power cycled:

Just FYI... That should be fixed with the upcoming 4.3.2 firmware (which will use Netduino.IP). Microsoft is working on several NETMF bugfixes; for that issue we went ahead and used a very large hammer :)

By the way, Secret Labs and many others build commercial MCU-based gear using NETMF, prototyped using Netduino. There are pros and cons to interpreted vs. native code, sandboxes vs. direct register access, etc. Every tool has its place--but I am consistently impressed with the sheer number of applications where NETMF shines.

In any case, thank you for being part of the Netduino community,

Chris

#61649 Question about usb HID

Posted by Chris Walker on 18 February 2015 - 05:50 PM in General Discussion

Hi ahmed,

You should be fine with either Netduino 1 or Netduino Plus 1. Netduino 1 is just $29.95 MSRP.

Chris

#63545 Project Boxes for Netduino?

Posted by Chris Walker on 15 July 2015 - 06:38 PM in General Discussion

Just FYI, one of our community members put together duinocases. The ones I saw looked like they were good quality cases.
http://www.duinocases.com/

And if you have access to a 3D printer, there's always thingaverse...
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:48939

If you're using a metal case with Netduino and Wi-Fi, just make sure that the antenna portion of the board sticks _out_ of the case. Metal cages and antennas disagree.

Chris

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.