Scott Hanselman just flashed a Netduino Wifi at BUILD - Netduino 3 - Netduino Forums

Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Scott Hanselman just flashed a Netduino Wifi at BUILD

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Valkyrie-MT

Valkyrie-MT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA

Posted 29 April 2015 - 04:10 PM

Hadn't heard about this before. Looks like it had a cc3100 onboard.

-Valkyrie-MT

#2 GeBrander

GeBrander

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 06:47 PM

Why can't I see the new Netduino 3 WiFi on the site? I see it at Amazon (ordered it already) and in the firmware package...

#3 EddieGarmon

EddieGarmon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 07:00 PM

just ordered mine too. excited...

#4 Nevyn

Nevyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1072 posts
  • LocationNorth Yorkshire, UK

Posted 29 April 2015 - 07:17 PM

Interesting, looks to have three Go Bus sockets on the board as well.

Regards,

Mark

To be or not to be = 0xFF

Blogging about Netduino, .NET, STM8S and STM32 and generally waffling on about life

Follow @nevynuk on Twitter

#5 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 29 April 2015 - 07:46 PM

What was that shiny new Netduino hardware seen in the keynote?

It's not officially announced quite yet, but here's one link that you might find interesting...
http://www.netduino....3wifi/specs.htm

More to come :) Stay tuned!

Chris

#6 Sukasa

Sukasa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationNanaimo, BC

Posted 30 April 2015 - 03:05 AM

So will the cost for a netduino up here in Canada be any more reasonable going forwards?  I just had to pay nearly $90 to get ahold of a replacement N+2 after smoking my last one, and if that's the kind of price premium I'm looking at (and this is WITH a discount), then the price premium of a Netduino over anything else is getting to be simply too much to be worth it.

#7 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 30 April 2015 - 03:50 AM

Hi Sukasa,

So will the cost for a netduino up here in Canada be any more reasonable going forwards?

Amazon.ca recently started carrying Netduinos--at roughly the same price as the USA. And Proto-Advantage typically sells for roughly the same price there in Canada.

If you can, please PM me more info about where you had the bad, heavily-marked-up experience... Thank you.

Does that help you out?

Chris

P.S. Some new Netduino gear will be crossing into Canada (for Amazon.ca) in two weeks.

#8 ahzf

ahzf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 05:04 PM

Wow! That are great news :)

What means IEEE 802.11b/g/n exactly? Just 2,4 GHz support or also 5 GHz support?

Best...

Achim

What was that shiny new Netduino hardware seen in the keynote?

It's not officially announced quite yet, but here's one link that you might find interesting...

More to come :) Stay tuned!

Chris

#9 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 30 April 2015 - 05:12 PM

Hi ahzf,

Wow! That are great news :)
What means IEEE 802.11b/g/n exactly? Just 2,4 GHz support or also 5 GHz support?

We're pretty excited too :)

The CC3100R1 Wi-Fi radio is 2.4GHz.

Chris

#10 neslekkim

neslekkim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 30 April 2015 - 06:32 PM

Seems like it's available on Amazon now, but as always, Not possible to buy these for international buyers from Amazon.. 

I found two things interresting.. go bus ports.. And you have removed the Netduino Go..

So I guess support for Go is offically dropped now?

--
Asbjørn

#11 Sukasa

Sukasa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationNanaimo, BC

Posted 30 April 2015 - 06:39 PM

Given the prior announcement of upcoming GoBus modules, and that the N3W has the ports...  I wouldn't miss the Go if the advantages of it get rolled into the N3W.

#12 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 30 April 2015 - 06:45 PM

Hi neslekkim,

Seems like it's available on Amazon now, but as always, Not possible to buy these for international buyers from Amazon..

Both Adafruit and Mouser have Netduino 3 Wi-Fi boards in stock, with international shipping. [If you don't see them in stock on their sites...just drop them a line.]

For international customers: the Netduino 3 Wi-Fi boards even have CE-compliant Wi-Fi radios :)

I found two things interresting.. go bus ports.. And you have removed the Netduino Go..

So I guess support for Go is offically dropped now?

As we build up the number of available GoBus modules, Netduino Go will be an awesome choice for projects that need more than three modules at a time. We can only fit three boards in our 3-column hardware page, so we've swapped it out for now, but it's still in production, is fully supported and is going to get new firmware this week as well :)

Chris

#13 neslekkim

neslekkim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 30 April 2015 - 07:00 PM

Mouser have still expensive shipping, but I sent an email to adafruit, on the buy page on the product info, there are no mentions of Adafruit.

And things like this, how are they going to be used since one have to use other resellers to get stuff?

http://forums.netdui...u-gift/?p=61415

--
Asbjørn

#14 neslekkim

neslekkim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 30 April 2015 - 07:01 PM

Forgot to ask, are the gobus ports on same channel?, or do we get the pleasure of three channels?

And RTC, I guess that is still not implemented here either?, the chip has it.. 

--
Asbjørn

#15 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 30 April 2015 - 07:07 PM

Hi neslekkim,

Mouser have still expensive shipping, but I sent an email to adafruit, on the buy page on the product info, there are no mentions of Adafruit.

We'll add a link to Adafruit on the product's "where to buy" page as soon as the product is live on their site :)

And things like this, how are they going to be used since one have to use other resellers to get stuff?
http://forums.netdui...u-gift/?p=61415

For gift coupons and gift certificates: we will be launching an online gift shop on 30-Jun-2015. Including affordable USPS international shipping.

Chris

#16 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 30 April 2015 - 07:10 PM

Hi neslekkim,

Forgot to ask, are the gobus ports on same channel?, or do we get the pleasure of three channels?

The three GoBus ports share one SPI transport channel. They each have a unique UART channel for module reflashing purposes.

And RTC, I guess that is still not implemented here either?, the chip has it..

There's no VBAT pin on the Arduino headers, so powering up the built-in RTC didn't make sense. If there are enough requests for this, we could make an RTC GoBus module (with coin cell holder) that auto-reloaded the time on boot. And for commercial customers deriving boards from the open source designs...we left the RTC crystal pins free :)

Full schematics are on the product specs page.

Chris

#17 neslekkim

neslekkim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 30 April 2015 - 07:38 PM

VBAT, I think it was discussed before, regarding go etc, Why do everthing need to be an arduino header?, look at other boards, no issue with adding an extra header?, or even pads to solder on, or even pads to add an cr2025/2032 batterholder on the backside... 

And gobus, there are 6 spi's on the chip, how many are in use total?

--
Asbjørn

#18 neslekkim

neslekkim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 30 April 2015 - 07:39 PM

We'll add a link to Adafruit on the product's "where to buy" page as soon as the product is live on their site :)

Doesn't seem like they have it, they said "Thanks for the product suggestion - we will share this with our teams. Please see our store for Netduino products"

bah..

--
Asbjørn

#19 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 30 April 2015 - 07:44 PM

Hi neslekkim,

VBAT, I think it was discussed before, regarding go etc, Why do everthing need to be an arduino header?, look at other boards, no issue with adding an extra header?, or even pads to solder on, or even pads to add an cr2025/2032 batterholder on the backside...

One of the keystone features of the Netduino mainboards is wide electrical compatibility with Arduino shields. We try to keep things clean and compatible. I have seen some boards replace AREF with VBAT and other tricks...but these can lead to compatibility issues. And adding another header pin can confuse users.

If having an RTC battery backup if a big request, it's definitely possible to create a GoBus module to support that. Which would give us that kind of great RTC and VBAT flexibility without the complication.

All that said, we did leave the RTC crystal pins free in the Netduino firmware...so VBAT and RTC could be added without too much trouble in custom hardware designs.

And gobus, there are 6 spi's on the chip, how many are in use total?

Full schematic can be found here:
http://www.netduino....i_schematic.pdf

MicroSD gets a SPI bus. Ethernet/Wi-Fi gets a SPI bus. Pins D11-D13 get a SPI bus. And the three GoBus ports get a SPI bus.

We packed so much into this hardware that there are only three I/O pins free: a JTAG test pin (which we leave free due to an age-old STM32 errata) and the two slow crystal pins. :)

Chris

#20 neslekkim

neslekkim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 30 April 2015 - 08:44 PM

Look at how they have done it on these boads: http://www.seeedstud...uino-Stalker_v3

Ah, leaving the pins, so one can add some bodgewires is ok, I think on the Go it wasn't so?

Interresting, the schematic says the pins for rtc crystal PC14 and PC15 is reservec for the crystal, so that is fine, guess there is no pads though?

Also noted that VBAT is connected to VDD, so that means as long as the board is connected to power, the RTC should be fine then?

Does it exists better hires pictures of the board?, front and backside?

And there is no jtag connector?, to connect stlink or something?

--
Asbjørn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.