Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.

smarcus3's Content

There have been 134 items by smarcus3 (Search limited from 07-May 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#27431 Powerful Aquarium Lighting

Posted by smarcus3 on 17 April 2012 - 04:01 AM in General Discussion

I have 2 large saltwater reef tanks, but have found reciently have LEDs aren't intense enough compared to Metal Halide lighting. Though I would love to use LEDs since they don't throw off heat like the halides do. When this is done it would be nice to get the lumens of this fixture.

#27265 Netduino Firmware v4.2.0 RC4 (Netduino + Netduino Plus)

Posted by smarcus3 on 15 April 2012 - 02:23 AM in Beta Firmware and Drivers

When updating to 4.2 RC4 I get the following error: An error has occurred: please check your hardware. Object reference not set to an instance of an object. Source: Microsoft.SPOT.Debugger.CorDebug Stack : at Microsoft.SPOT.Debugger.VsProjectFlavorCfg.Deploy() in c:\depot\current\CLIENT_V4_2\Framework\CorDebug\VsProjectFlavorCfg.cs:line 893 at Microsoft.SPOT.Debugger.VsProjectFlavorCfg.<Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Interop.IVsDeployableProjectCfg.StartDeploy>b__0() in c:\depot\current\CLIENT_V4_2\Framework\CorDebug\VsProjectFlavorCfg.cs:line 634 ========== Deploy: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 skipped ==========

#27266 Netduino Firmware v4.2.0 RC4 (Netduino + Netduino Plus)

Posted by smarcus3 on 15 April 2012 - 02:28 AM in Beta Firmware and Drivers

Nvm I got it working. Sorry for the double posting.

#27263 RN-XV WiFly Module driver

Posted by smarcus3 on 15 April 2012 - 01:23 AM in Project Showcase

Used some of you socket code. Thanks.

#26815 Netduino servo class

Posted by smarcus3 on 09 April 2012 - 11:35 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Thanks for the servo library. Going to use it soon.

#27833 Transistors and resistors

Posted by smarcus3 on 21 April 2012 - 06:24 PM in General Discussion

You also need a diode around each relay as shown above to stop backflow.

#27854 Transistors and resistors

Posted by smarcus3 on 21 April 2012 - 09:32 PM in General Discussion

Yes I just threw the LED in and didn't pay attention to its orientation. Per the placement, you could do that but I don't think it makes a difference. You need a resistor on the base anyway.

#27893 Transistors and resistors

Posted by smarcus3 on 22 April 2012 - 05:39 PM in General Discussion

I drew that to reference the hand drawn diagram and didn't make sure all the components were perfectly placed. Once again. Reference my first post which has been correct the whole time. Next time Ill take my time to make sure the 'rough' drawings wont be misinterpreted.

#27832 Transistors and resistors

Posted by smarcus3 on 21 April 2012 - 06:10 PM in General Discussion

The resistors in each leg will be the same. I would also suggest that you color code your wires in Fritzing so that you do not mix up the hot and neutral wires (5v and gnd). Both the 12V and netduino's ground need to be tied together. The resistor value will be set based on the amount of amps and volts required by the relay's coil so that it can engage. The datasheet will give a current and voltage required. If you give me the datasheet Ill do the calculations in excel so that you can learn how to do them if you want. If you like my responses, please click the green pluses on them.

#27869 Transistors and resistors

Posted by smarcus3 on 22 April 2012 - 06:39 AM in General Discussion

I am more used to the arduino platform where you get 5V, but I use those LEDs to just tell me which pins are activated. Thats it. I do agree with the placement if brightness is a concern.

#27838 Transistors and resistors

Posted by smarcus3 on 21 April 2012 - 06:50 PM in General Discussion

Here is how the circuit should be designed ...

Posted Image

#27803 Transistors and resistors

Posted by smarcus3 on 21 April 2012 - 10:25 AM in General Discussion

This is the second time I am writing this explanation b/c the stupid forum lost the message some how. Here it goes. Hopefully this should be a nice simple explanation for you. Never be afraid to ask questions. Ill even answer them after being up all night. Current can be visualized as moving from a higher voltage to a lower voltage. This convention is the positive current convention and is the main convention due to the fact current was at one time thought to be the movement of protons. However, even though this is not the case as electrons move through the circuit, the convention has stuck. Voltage should be though of the potential to do something. This is the same thing as water flowing down a hill. Water at the top of the hill has a lot of potential energy while water at the bottom has the least, or by convention normally 0. This is the same for circuits. Current flows from the higher voltage to the lowest it can reach, normally 0 volts or commonly refereed to as ground. And per your last question. If it is all on the same loop from a high voltage to a lesser voltage it HAS TO HAVE the same current going through the entire thing. If the circuit like the one below had different currents it would be generating energy and become a perpetual motion machine. +12V --> transistor --> Relay --> Relay --> Relay --> Fan --> LED --> etc. --> ground If you still need anything else explained just let me know.

#27429 Transistors and resistors

Posted by smarcus3 on 17 April 2012 - 03:52 AM in General Discussion

Here is a diagram on how to hook up relays using transistors:

Posted Image

#27430 Transistors and resistors

Posted by smarcus3 on 17 April 2012 - 03:54 AM in General Discussion

most 5v leds will work fine with 200 ohm resistors. As long as the amps through the transistor is < the datasheet max then the circuit will be fine. If you have large loads they make beefier transistors like the ones mentioned in the picture above, or use a relay. Basically, you have netduino (arduino) output 3V3 which through a transistor gives you 9-12V which can flip a relay giving you 120V at 15 amps. With these steps you should be able to hook up whatever you want. Let me know if you need any other questions answered.

#27801 Transistors and resistors

Posted by smarcus3 on 21 April 2012 - 10:16 AM in General Discussion

Heating concerns with a transistor depend on whether the transistor is rated for your required load. You have to check its data sheet. They will be rated for X amps. If you give me a link to the datasheet or the name printed on your transistor I can tell you its rated amps / volts.

#27800 Transistors and resistors

Posted by smarcus3 on 21 April 2012 - 10:15 AM in General Discussion

Add up the coil resistances and all other resistances. V=IR

#28306 Daisy Chain of Ic74HC595 can it control a LCD screen.

Posted by smarcus3 on 29 April 2012 - 08:04 PM in General Discussion

Is your LCD requiring 3.3V or 5V?

I believe 5V but it should be receiving that. All I did was stop using the microlcd library functions and used your lines of code instead. The wiring is unchanged. I think it might be miss wired on the N side.

#28308 Daisy Chain of Ic74HC595 can it control a LCD screen.

Posted by smarcus3 on 29 April 2012 - 08:38 PM in General Discussion

Just figured it out. Thanks

#28311 Daisy Chain of Ic74HC595 can it control a LCD screen.

Posted by smarcus3 on 29 April 2012 - 08:41 PM in General Discussion

Wired up wrong.

#28304 Daisy Chain of Ic74HC595 can it control a LCD screen.

Posted by smarcus3 on 29 April 2012 - 08:01 PM in General Discussion

I just finnaly got around to testing this and I cannot get the lcd to display anything. Which pins of the IC go to which Pins of the N. I hooked it up like the example but it is not working.

#27896 Daisy Chain of Ic74HC595 can it control a LCD screen.

Posted by smarcus3 on 22 April 2012 - 06:00 PM in General Discussion

Hi smarcus3,

It depends on the LCD and it's required speed. Can you specify which LCD?

I was hoping you would see this.

Its this one, HERE

#27891 Daisy Chain of Ic74HC595 can it control a LCD screen.

Posted by smarcus3 on 22 April 2012 - 05:22 PM in General Discussion

I currently have an LCD screen controlled via a single Ic74HC595. However, using the daisy chain function like this so that the same 3 IO ports can do more than just control a single lcd, but maybe an lcd and leds.

[code=auto:0]Ic74HC595Chain ChainOut = new Ic74HC595Chain(SPI_Devices.SPI1, Pins.GPIO_PIN_D9, 2)/code]

The daisy chain wiring is shown HERE

#27901 Daisy Chain of Ic74HC595 can it control a LCD screen.

Posted by smarcus3 on 22 April 2012 - 06:21 PM in General Discussion

Awesome!!! I was going to take a stab at doing it, but if it is already done Ill work on something else. Can't wait to see the code. Thanks

#27928 Daisy Chain of Ic74HC595 can it control a LCD screen.

Posted by smarcus3 on 23 April 2012 - 06:39 AM in General Discussion

Thanks. I assume I wire it up the same as on your site here: https://stefan.co/el...h-bitshift-ics/ I'll try it out tomorrow.

#27930 Daisy Chain of Ic74HC595 can it control a LCD screen.

Posted by smarcus3 on 23 April 2012 - 06:41 AM in General Discussion

I already got the lcd wired up like that so itll only be re-routing a few wires. Thanks. Ill give you a positive review. Or even 2.

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.