This firmware requires use of the .NET Micro Framework v4.2 RTM SDK. Users must completely erase and reflash their Netduinos to use this firmware.
WARNING: This firmware is pre-release firmware. It may temporarily cause your Netduino to cease functioning properly. If this firmware does not work for you, you will likely need to erase your Netduino completely and re-flash the production v18.104.22.168 bootloader using Atmel SAM-BA tools and the production v22.214.171.124 firmware using MFDeploy.
NOTE: This beta firmware must be used with the production version of the Microsoft .NET Micro Framework SDK.
If you're an early adopter and would like to help us test and refine these new features, this beta release may be for you.
If you experience any blue screens or crashes with this release, please try out the new .NET MF beta drivers.
NETDUINO PLUS: This update reduces the amount of available code storage to the original 48KB. We may be able to increase this for production, but we're currently allocating this room to allow enough room for bugfixes and new features in .NET MF 4.2.
NETDUINO MINI: Netduino Mini firmware is not available for this release. We will make this available in a future release.
This firmware includes the following updates:
1. Networking bugfixes: DHCP and link status
2. Floating point bugfixes
3. .NET MF 4.2 RTM and post-RTM bugfixes
4. For Netduino Plus, 38KB+ RAM (10KB+ more than before)
5. Visual Basic support (including Visual Basic Express 2010)
6. StringBuilder support
7. Regular Expressions
8. IP broadcast support
9. Extension method support
The following features are planned for the v4.2 release:
1. More feature-rich, core ADC and PWM classes
This firmware also includes the following previous updates:
1. Early support for some 4GB+ MicroSD cards (courtesy of community member KodeDaemon)
2. Early UsbClient support (requires deploy/debug via serial)
3. Pushbutton (SW1) now returns true when pushed, false when not pushed
4. DHCP support now works on more/all routers
5. Network cable may now be plugged in at any time
6. I2C internal address ("repeated start bit") support
7. Bugfixes: SerialPort.DataReceived event should now fire properly
8. Bugfixes: SerialPort.Read() timeout now implemented properly
9. Bugfix: SD card support no longer interferes with digital pin 2
10. Variable-bit SPI (9 to 15 bit) capabilities
11. Enhanced Parallels, VMWare, and VirtualBox compatibility
12. RS232 and TTL UART deployment now selectable via software tool
13. Enhanced deployment reliability (software reset enhancements)
14. SPI bugfixes
Before deploying the attached firmware, you should erase your board completely and flash the v4.2 RC4 bootloader (included in the attached ZIP file).
You may update to this pre-release firmware using the MFDeploy tool:
1. Download and unzip the attached file to a directory on your computer.
2. Go to the Start Menu > Programs > Microsoft .NET Micro Framework 4.2 > Tools
3. Run MFDeploy.exe. Be careful to run MFDeploy.exe and not MFDeploy.exe.config (as file extensions are hidden by default)
4a. For Netduino and Netduino Plus: Plug your Netduino into your PC using a Micro USB cable. If your Netduino does not connect successfully, try plugging the USB cable into your Netduino first...and then your PC.
4b. For Netduino Mini: Plug your Netduino Mini into your PC using an RS232 or TTL UART cable.
5a. For Netduino and Netduino Plus: In the Device section at top, select USB instead of Serial. Your Netduino should appear in the drop-down; if not, select it.
5b. For Netduino Mini: In the Device section at top, select Serial. Select the serial port assigned to your RS232 or TTL UART cable.
6. Click "Browse..." and select the unzipped files from step #1 (ER_CONFIG and ER_FLASH).
7. Press "Deploy". It will take a few minutes to update your Netduino.
8. For Netduino Plus: Select the Target > Configuration > Networking menu. You will need to re-enter your IP address settings and MAC address. We will try to eliminate this step in the future.