Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.

Gutworks's Content

There have been 22 items by Gutworks (Search limited from 30-March 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#57865 two dc motor with pwm

Posted by Gutworks on 01 May 2014 - 04:53 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Hi eurobog and welcome to the Netduino community. Unfortunately I think your question is regarding the Arduino platform which uses a different programming language than the very powerful .Net Micro Framework used on the Netduino. The two platforms are very similar however the code is considerably different. Personally I find it much easier to develop and use the Netduino, but I am a bit biased. :)

Just to be clear, are you using an Arduino or Netduino? If you do have a Netduino I would be more than willing to give you hand with some simple DC motor controls and PWM samples. If you are indeed using an Arduino you may want to post your question on their forum found here: http://forum.arduino.cc/ 

Regardless of the platform you use, you're in for a lot of fun.  :)

Cheers,

Steve

#57193 What current does a netduino plus 2 use?

Posted by Gutworks on 28 March 2014 - 09:18 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Hi WillyBilly,

Like Mario has said, 300mA will be enough for general use, however for some power hungry projects you may want to use something larger. As far as power supplies go, your Netduino will only use as much current as it needs. So if you have a 1A power supply it will do no harm to your Netduino, unless of course your project uses more current than the board itself can handle.

I have posted some maximum current loads on the pinout I created a while ago. Hopefully it will help you with your project.

http://forums.netdui...ference-sheet/ 

Cheers,

Steve 

#56518 Predetermine stop start of dc motor

Posted by Gutworks on 28 February 2014 - 01:27 AM in General Discussion

Sorry, I didn't see that Chris had posted while I was writing my response. To add to what Chris suggested:

You could also use little mechanical or optical trip sensors to trigger when the mice arrive.

I was thinking you could use a reed switch and place a small magnet on the mouse. A reed switch is activated when there's a presence of a magnetic field, which you can use as an indicator to stop the motor. 

#56517 Predetermine stop start of dc motor

Posted by Gutworks on 28 February 2014 - 01:09 AM in General Discussion

Hi JohnBreeds,

First off welcome to the community! That sounds like a fun project. I love any project that provides smiles for kids. :)

Though small dc motors may be fairly easy to operate and cheap they do present some challenges for a simple project in that they really don't have any sort of feedback system. What I mean by that is the motor itself can't tell you how many rotations or the speed at which it's moving without some extra circuity or devices like wheel encoders or switches that let you know where your mouse is at any given point. 

To keep things reasonably simple and low cost, and assuming you are using a Netduino to control everything, I think a 360 degree full rotation servo would be ideal. These can be purchased for under $15 bucks at most electronics stores and give you the ability to know how many rotations have occurred and the position of the shaft. There are a few tutorials on the wiki and forums on how to use a servo, and I'd be glad to help with it if you need any additional help. 

Of course there are plenty of other solutions, but this may be the simplest. 

Cheers,

Steve

#56466 SDK documentation for the Netduino SDK

Posted by Gutworks on 26 February 2014 - 08:19 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Hi gartal, 

It is unfortunate that you are having difficulty in getting things converted. Initially I had similar issues in getting some samples to work, but after a few tweaks most things were resolved. The folks at Netduino have also done a great job in making their SDK backwards compatible, however there were some code samples that used Microsoft classes that may need tweaking as NETMF has evolved and improved over time. As for SDK documentation, I agree it would be great to have a single place where people could easily find the few Netduino specific classes with examples. However I believe the majority of the NETMF SDK is well documented and can be found here: http://msdn.microsof.../bb417054.aspx  I have found some information to be incorrect and missing, but for the most part it's a fantastic resource. If you are looking for more specific Netduino examples I find the Forums to contain a wealth of information. In searching for examples, I generally prefer Google to search the forums with as the IP.Board's search capabilities have been limited (though this may have been improved with the latest upgrade). If you have any questions or difficulties in getting older samples to work, please post a question in the forum and generally the community is quick to respond. 

As for Linux support I highly suggest you look through the developments of the Mono team which can be found here: http://forums.netdui...forum/12-mono/  I personally have no need for a Linux toolchain so my knowledge in that area is limited. 

I do hope you consider keeping your Netduino as the community would certainly appreciate your enthusiasm and passion.

Cheers,

Steve

#56464 spi issue using custom mainboard

Posted by Gutworks on 26 February 2014 - 07:06 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Hi cys,  

Can you try changing your code to the following:  

static SPI.Configuration Device1 = new SPI.Configuration(
    Pins.GPIO_PIN_D6,
    false,     // CS active low
    0,         // CS setup time (2us)
    0,         // CS hold time (2us)
    true,      // clock state during idle
    true,      // sample of which edge
    4000,       // clock rate in kHz
    SPI_Devices.SPI1); 

In your sample it looks like you are using the Microsoft SPI class, however in the sample above I'm using the Netduino class. Let me know if that works or what changes, if any, you find with your LA? I did notice some unexpected blips with the MS SPI class on the MISO line, however the Netduino class looks pretty clean. Also I'm not sure if this is an issue or not, but I generally prefer to initialize any static objects within the Main class to ensure everything is initialized in proper order.   

Cheers, Steve

#56399 Potentiometer exception on init

Posted by Gutworks on 25 February 2014 - 04:44 PM in Netduino Go

Can you try creating a new Netduino Go application and add the Potentiometer assembly with Add Reference?  

#56398 Potentiometer exception on init

Posted by Gutworks on 25 February 2014 - 04:39 PM in Netduino Go

NetduinoGo.Potentiometer pot = new NetduinoGo.Potentiometer(GoSockets.Soecket8);  

In this case, (GoSockets.Soecket8) should be (GoSockets.Socket8). Hopefully it was just the spelling error. :D

#56394 Potentiometer exception on init

Posted by Gutworks on 25 February 2014 - 04:15 PM in Netduino Go

Hi Troll, 

I was just using my Potentiometer module yesterday and everything seemed to be working fine. Just make sure your target Framework is is 4.2 as well and not 4.3. I did have a similar issue with another module, but discovered my Go cable was to blame. I think it's about time I ordered some of those new fancy cables. :)

If you post a larger sample I will see if I can reproduce the error and help you find out what may be happening. 

Cheers,

Steve

#56077 STM32F4 BGA

Posted by Gutworks on 14 February 2014 - 05:58 PM in General Discussion

Wow, great work Juzzer! That would indeed make for a sweet "mini" Netduino! Your board looks fantastic. I would love to see some Netduino samples running on it.

Cheers,

Steve

#55839 A stupid question...

Posted by Gutworks on 03 February 2014 - 06:55 PM in Visual Studio

Hmm. Interesting...

Can you right click in the Output window and make sure you have "Program Output" checked? That will also suppress the Debug.Print statements if not checked. 

#55836 A stupid question...

Posted by Gutworks on 03 February 2014 - 05:09 PM in Visual Studio

Hi HCB, 

First off, welcome to the Netduino community! That is an odd behaviour. I tried replicating it using NETMF v4.1 and the Emulator, but the output still displayed correctly. I think what may be happening is that your output may be getting redirected to the Immediate Window. I'm not sure how this setting would change on you, but you can correct it with the following steps:

• In Visual Studio select from the menu Tools -> Options -> Debugging -> General
  • Scroll down and uncheck the setting labelled "[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Arial, 'Liberation Sans', 'DejaVu Sans', sans-serif;]Redirect all Output Window text to the Immediate Window"[/color]

[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Arial, 'Liberation Sans', 'DejaVu Sans', sans-serif;]I'm using Visual Studio 2013, but I'm pretty sure the settings are the same in previous versions. [/color]

[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Arial, 'Liberation Sans', 'DejaVu Sans', sans-serif;]Good luck and let us know if it works. [/color]

[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Arial, 'Liberation Sans', 'DejaVu Sans', sans-serif;]Cheers,[/color]

[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Arial, 'Liberation Sans', 'DejaVu Sans', sans-serif;]Steve[/color]

OutputWindowSettings.gif

#55291 xBee Stops Responding

Posted by Gutworks on 10 January 2014 - 10:13 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Hi Andre, 

I can't think of anything in particular that could be happening. I have a couple Xbee Series 1 and Xbee Pro ZB modules and haven't had any troubles as of yet. If you can share a simple and short code sample, I can test it with my modules to see if I have any similar issues. 

Also let me know what the firmware version is on your Netduino Plus so I can match apples to apples. 

Cheers,

Steve

#55145 PWM using Netduino Go and Shield Base ...

Posted by Gutworks on 02 January 2014 - 08:48 PM in Netduino Go

Hi Dave, 

It looks like you are using the Microsoft PWM class rather than the Secretlabs PWM class. The MS PWM class has two constructors, one that is often used for driving pulsing LEDs and piezo buzzers, and the other for devices like servos. I think you should be using the other constructor that looks like this:

public PWM(Cpu.PWMChannel channel, uint period, uint duration, PWM.ScaleFactor scale, bool invert);

Some time ago I wrote a sample app for a servo and the Netduino Go Shield Base and I also have a couple other posts that go a little more in detail about the PWM class. Hopefully so of these links will help you along the way.

#55053 Multiple Com ports, receive on COM2 and send/receive on COM1

Posted by Gutworks on 31 December 2013 - 06:13 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Hi [color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]mbargar13,[/color]

I noticed you have different baud rates for both of your Serial Ports. Have you tried making sure they are all the same including your HyperTerminal settings?

Cheers,

Steve

#54823 NP2: Vin Current Rating and Max PWM Freq.

Posted by Gutworks on 23 December 2013 - 01:41 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Hi Daniel (dgelman),    Welcome to the Netduino community! I was browsing through some posts and noticed your questions and am sorry that it appears to have been left unanswered for some time now. This generally isn't the norm and I can only assume it got lost amongst a bunch of other posts. Hopefully I can shed some light on your questions.  

1) What is the maximum current source/draw from the Vin pin? As I understand Arduino is limited to 1A, but I was wondering about NP2.

Here's a pinout diagram for the Netduino Plus 2 which also lists the maximum current draw for each pin and the entire board. If you have any other questions, post them here and I'll try my best to find the answers for you.   Netduino Plus 2 Pinout - http://forums.netdui...eference-sheet/  

2) What is the maximum PWM frequency that maybe achieved on the NP2?

Oh, this is a good question, and I recall finding some conflicting and confusing information about it a while back when I was wondering the same. Here are a couple posts I wrote regarding the maximum and minimum PWM frequencies that should clear things up. 

Maximum PWM Frequency - http://forums.netdui...quency/?p=44118

Minimum PWM Frequency and Period - http://forums.netdui...duino/?p=43946 

Here's an example on how the PWM works using the Netduino Go and Shield Base module. With some very minor changes you can alter the code to work on your Netduino Plus 2. http://forums.netdui...-potentiometer/

Again, if you have any questions please feel free to post them here and we'll do our best to answer them. :)

Cheers,

Steve

#54719 New: Netduino Update application

Posted by Gutworks on 16 December 2013 - 02:37 PM in General Discussion

This really does simplify the upgrading process and much less intimidating to new and seasoned users alike.  I love not having to search for the latest and greatest firmware versions and upgrading multiple boards at once!

I wonder if it's possible to add the ability to use beta firmware? I often like to have one board with beta firmware installed and another with the latest stable version on it, or at least  able to switch easily from one or the other. 

Also after the upgrade process I realize the tool restarts the board(s) once it has completed, but I think a confirmation message would be a great addition. With this current version (v1.0.0) the upgrade process is somewhat anticlimactic and I can see many new users thinking that nothing has happened or they missed a step. 

Great job Chris, and thank you to all of the community coding ninjas who worked hard on getting this tool created. CW2, hanzibal, nakchak, Steven Behnke, tim c and ziggurat29 you guys rock!

Cheers,

Steve

#54667 "Intelligent Systems Competency:" Embedded only, or MF too?

Posted by Gutworks on 13 December 2013 - 03:33 PM in General Discussion

E-mail sent. :)

Thank you remotewizard and Cuno for spearheading this. 

#54243 Autonomous R2D2

Posted by Gutworks on 23 November 2013 - 06:57 AM in Project Showcase

That's brilliant! What an amazing job. Where can I more information on your Netdunio R2D2? You mentioned a builders log in the video but I didn't see any links to a website. Fantastic job sjmill01. Very impressive. 

#54209 Visual Studio 2013 - New install cannot create new project

Posted by Gutworks on 21 November 2013 - 03:58 AM in Visual Studio

Hi vader7071, 

Yes, Visual Studio 2012 Pro will work perfectly. Welcome to the Netduino Community!

Cheers,

Steve

#52856 World Maker Faire New York 2013

Posted by Gutworks on 22 September 2013 - 05:28 AM in General Discussion

Today I had the most amazing time meeting a lot enthusiastic makers and sharing my passion for the Netduino platform with them. I wanted to reach out and extend a huge welcome and thank you all the new people I had the lucky chance to meet, and anyone new that may be checking out the forums for the first time. I also wanted to say a huge thank you to Chris Walker and Stefan Thoolen for being fantastic hosts and presenters. Watching them share their enthusiasm and seeing the amazement in the crowds eyes was absolutely infectious and made me proud to say I'm a Netduino and AGENT smartwatch fan. 

For anyone new coming to the forums for the first time, please feel free to post any questions that you may have. The community here is amazing and love to help. If you are looking for some great tutorials to get you started, you can find them on our Wiki here: Netduino Tutorials. The forums is also full of great examples and answers to many of the questions you may already have. And if you're having any trouble finding information, you can simply reply to this post, or create a new topic/question in the forum. 

For those of you interested in purchasing Netduino gear, you can find your closest or preferred retailer here: 

If you want to learn more about the AGENT you can find detailed information about this new and exciting smartwatch on the AGENT website and Community Forum. If you missed the Kickstarter campaign you can reserve your own AGENT smartwatch by clicking here: AGENT Reservation.

Have a great time tinkering and please share what your creating. We all love to hear about what the community making and how you're using your Netduinos.

Cheers,

Steve "EH" Bulgin

Gutworks

#50701 ToTheFuture theme party outfit.

Posted by Gutworks on 21 June 2013 - 04:58 PM in Project Showcase

That sounds like fun! Now that's some wearable tech. Hopefully it doesn't become single use :)

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.