Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Potentiometer exception on init

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 theTroll

theTroll

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 03:57 PM

Just getting back to working with the stuff.  Loaded all the files on the computer, verifed both the comptuer and netuino go were 4.2.2.1. 

NetduinoGo.Potentiometer pot = new NetduinoGo.Potentiometer(GoSockets.Soecket8);  and I get an arugment exception thrown by NetduinoGo.Potentiometer::Initialize

I get the same thing if I try to do any empty constructor and have it find the pot. 

Everything is connected correctly and this use to work.

Any ideas?

#2 Gutworks

Gutworks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:15 PM

Hi Troll, 

I was just using my Potentiometer module yesterday and everything seemed to be working fine. Just make sure your target Framework is is 4.2 as well and not 4.3. I did have a similar issue with another module, but discovered my Go cable was to blame. I think it's about time I ordered some of those new fancy cables. :)

If you post a larger sample I will see if I can reproduce the error and help you find out what may be happening. 

Cheers,

Steve

#3 theTroll

theTroll

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:28 PM

Framework is set to 4.2.

And really there isn't anything else to post.  Currently it is the ONLY thing in the project.  It was working before I put it away, and now not, so I am doubtful it is the cable or module.  Just dones't make sense.

#4 Gutworks

Gutworks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:39 PM

NetduinoGo.Potentiometer pot = new NetduinoGo.Potentiometer(GoSockets.Soecket8);  

In this case, (GoSockets.Soecket8) should be (GoSockets.Socket8). Hopefully it was just the spelling error. :D

#5 Gutworks

Gutworks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:44 PM

Can you try creating a new Netduino Go application and add the Potentiometer assembly with Add Reference?  

#6 theTroll

theTroll

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:50 PM

It was a spelling error and if the reference is not added it will not even compile. 

And this the the third project I created for attempting this. 

#7 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 26 February 2014 - 01:32 AM

Hi theTroll, Try removing "GoSockets.Socket8" from the constructor. Does your project automatically find the potentiometer? What happens if you move it to another GoPort? What happens if you plug in an RGB LED or other module instead? Finally...if all else fails, can you post the repro project and we can test here? If it works here then we can diagnose (hardware issue, firmware issue, etc.) from there. Chris

#8 theTroll

theTroll

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 03:01 AM

Chris,

I have tried it with an empty constructor, same exception.

I have tried it in three different ports, same exception.

i have tred the button module in all three ports, works great.

There is nothing else in the project except the button, event to capture the button push the init the pot.

#9 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 26 February 2014 - 03:04 AM

Hi theTroll, Do you have an RGB LED module or any other module (other than the button module)? My best guess is that the potentiometer module got damaged somehow. But before we go there...testing the RGB LED or Piezo Buzzer module would help validate that theory. Chris

#10 theTroll

theTroll

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 02:16 PM

Chris,

Had to go looking for the RGB module, but I did find it.  Tested the RGB module in Socket 6 where the Pot started and it works like a champ.

#11 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 27 February 2014 - 07:36 AM

Hi theTroll, Okay, it sounds like something's up with the potentiometer module then. Is there any visible damage to it? Do you have a SWIM programmer by any chance (STLink/V2)? Also: you have PM. Chris

#12 theTroll

theTroll

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 01:50 PM

Chris,

No there is no damage to it.  It was working when I put it up a while back, pulled it back out and nothing. I do not have a SWIM Programmer, do you think the module got reset somehow?

#13 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 27 February 2014 - 02:50 PM

Hi theTroll,

No there is no damage to it.  It was working when I put it up a while back, pulled it back out and nothing. I do not have a SWIM Programmer, do you think the module got reset somehow?

It's rare, but sometimes electronics just fail eventually. You have mail :)

Regarding the SWIM programmer...I was going to see if we could do some in-field failure analysis, to see if there is a bit in flash that's corrupted somehow, to see if the chip is communicating and/or booting, etc. If the module was sitting on your shelf then getting reset is not very likely.

Chris

#14 theTroll

theTroll

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 12:11 AM

Chris,

There is always the chance that a cosmic ray or gamma ray. flipped a bit or two and corrupted it somehow.  Why my unit might have been exposed to such a thing we will not go into.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.