Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.

monewwq1's Content

There have been 104 items by monewwq1 (Search limited from 15-May 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#19278 Netduino - WiFi

Posted by monewwq1 on 16 October 2011 - 11:43 PM in Project Showcase

Hi,

I have just got a gainspan module from sparkfun, and I wondered if you could help...

Firstly can you tell me which version of the firmware do I need (I have the NDK now), I have downloaded both but am not sure which one to use; the Mxp or MEE?

Also how do I then update the firmware?

Finally do you have an example web script as I have not really done much with websites before and don't really know where to begin with that side?

Many thanks,

Andy

Andy,

Out of the box, you do not need to update the firmware. If you need the current functionality, such as Bulk Data mode and others, you'll need to update the firmware.

The part number should be written on the device. Mine is a GS1011MIP, so I would use the MxP firmware. The part number just indicates whether it uses an internal or external Power Amplifier (PA) and whether it uses an external or PCB antenna. For example, an MIP has an internal PA with PCB antenna. An MEE has an external PA with External antenna. See also http://www.gainspan....e/s_modules.php

I update the firmware using a 3.3v USB-to-TTL adapter and the communication software provided with the Gainspan software download. I can't remember the name of the software at the moment but it is included in the download, as long as you have a login and have signed the non-disclosure agreement. Just plug the USB end of the adapter into the computer and wire the 3.3V, Tx, Rx, and Gnd from the ttl adapter to the corresponding pins on the Gainspan module, with Tx to Rx, and Rx to Tx.

As for the example web script, maybe describe what you're trying to do exactly and I can try to help.

Nick

#19651 Netduino - WiFi

Posted by monewwq1 on 23 October 2011 - 06:43 PM in Project Showcase

I did try different baud rates. No luck. I also thought I saw in either the datasheet or the manual that you can use a PC to talk to it. I'm going straight from the serial port of my laptop to the module. I don't know what the voltage is, I will double check that. Tx and Rx are connected properly. What program to you use to transfer your AT commands?

Oops. You cannot connect directly from a PC serial port to the module. You will need to get 3.3V logic levels, and a standard serial port on a computer is not 3.3V. See how serial ports work. A USB-to-3.3V TTL converter works fine, and that is what I use.

#19643 Netduino - WiFi

Posted by monewwq1 on 23 October 2011 - 04:05 PM in Project Showcase

Thanks, but I have tried sending the AT command several times. I even took the time to ohm out the pinouts from the breakout board back to the module and everything seems to be good. I think it's a baud rate issue, but since it's out of the box it should have the default settings. Do you know of a way to reset to factory defaults without using AT commands?

Webenglar,

Have you tried different baud rates to see if you can match with the module?
Are you using 3.3v levels?
Do you have tx on the module going to rx on the computer and rx on the computer going to tx on the module?

I apologize if these questions seem real basic, but just wanted to make sure.

I will check if there is a way to reset to factory default without the uart and will let you know shortly.

Thanks,
Nick

#15795 Netduino - WiFi

Posted by monewwq1 on 22 July 2011 - 07:14 PM in Project Showcase

Yes, no problem. I will post the code in a few hours this weekend. I'll provide some details on how to connect it as well.

#16998 Netduino - WiFi

Posted by monewwq1 on 24 August 2011 - 02:45 AM in Project Showcase

Hi Nick,

I ordered a GainSpan module from SparkFun, and thanks to your code was up and running quickly. I haven't done any systematic measurements yet, but got the impression that the module's throughput is rather low.

I thought of using bulk mode transfers, which may be faster, but the documentation (Serial_to_WiFi_Adapter_Guide ver 5_3.pdf) appears inconsistent. I tried the command AT+BDATA=1 to enable bulk mode, and then ESC 'Z' for sending data, but got error messages. My module's firmware version is 2.2.4, btw.

Do you have experience regarding the module's throughput?

Thanks and best regards

Cuno

Hi Cuno,

I am glad to hear you were able to get the Gainspan module communicating. To enable bulk data mode, you need version 2.3.1 of the Gainspan firmware. To obtain version 2.3.1, you would need to sign an NDA with Gainspan for the firmware update. When you say the throughput is low, do you mean the Wi-Fi to serial conversion? You might try adjusting the Baud Rate of the serial connection. Please update me on how you're doing with it. Good luck.

#19598 Netduino - WiFi

Posted by monewwq1 on 22 October 2011 - 03:30 PM in Project Showcase

Hi,

Can you tell me the commands I need to pass using the usb ttl device to firstly connect to my network and secondly do the firmware update.

I have connected to the device and have found my network but can't figure out how to connect to it?

Also I have no idea what I need to do to flash the new firrmware on to it?

I am using the tera term app that came with the firmware update files.

Thanks in advadance your help is much appreciated.

Andy

If you're using a USB-to-TTL connection, just connect it directly to the Gainspan. You do not need to connect to any network. You're using UART comms at that point.

If you have the full documentation, the FIrmware download should have provided a com port program to use for updating the firmware (note: this is not the Tera Term app; it is another app in the download files. SOrry, I don't remember the name of it at the moment).

#15804 Netduino - WiFi

Posted by monewwq1 on 23 July 2011 - 03:18 AM in Project Showcase

Hi all,

The project files are attached. There are comments in the project indicating how to connect the Gainspan module to the Netduino. The code contains very little error handling, as this is currently in the experimental stage.

Here are links to the documents I consulted to put this together:

#19625 Netduino - WiFi

Posted by monewwq1 on 23 October 2011 - 03:54 AM in Project Showcase

Here is a video example I've been meaning to upload. It uses two Netduino's. Each Netduino contains a Gainspan GS1011MIP module and an RGB LED. The Netduino's are powered from 9v batteries, so they are completely wireless.

In this video, the Netduino's connect to each other via an ad-hoc Wi-Fi connection- there are no routers or computers involved in this demo. At the start, each Netduino powers up and sets its LED high. After a short initialization delay, the first Netduino then sends a TCP message to the other Netduino to set a random color for its LED. The second Netduino responds and sets its color. Then the second Netduino sends a TCP message to the first Netduino to set its LED to a random color. The first Netduino responds by setting its color and then sends a message back to the second Netduino, etc., etc...

The effect is a visual representation of the ad-hoc TCP messages between the two Gainspan modules. This could be the basis for a wireless sensor network. I did a rough test in the backyard and these modules can talk back and forth out to 150 feet apart in an open-air scenario.

I moved the modules around in the video just to demonstrate that it is completely wireless. It is kind of a long video, but still cool. My bag of Doritos and my iPad make a brief cameo appearance. Lol

Netduino: Gainspan ad-hoc Wi-Fi communications

#15840 Netduino - WiFi

Posted by monewwq1 on 24 July 2011 - 12:01 AM in Project Showcase

Hi, I re-factored the code today. There were issues with the DataReceived event and commands processed way too slowly. Now the commands are near-instantaneous to respond. This also adds the ability for multiple clients to control the LED, and I also added a small PC fan to the circuit, controllable via one of the PWM outputs on the Netduino Plus. The code update is attached.

#15965 Netduino - WiFi

Posted by monewwq1 on 27 July 2011 - 12:52 PM in Project Showcase

Dumb question. Can this be used with a regular Netduino (not Plus)?

Yes, this can be used with the regular Netduino as well.

#19989 Monitor & Control your Garage Door with Android App

Posted by monewwq1 on 30 October 2011 - 02:52 AM in Project Showcase

I exclude a problem in my LAN because if I browse the ip of the router (192.168.0.1) from android, I have no problem. The strange thing is that from any other pc on my lan, all works fine... the problem is only from my android smartphone. Any suggest?

Just because you can browse the ip of the router does not mean that there is not a router configuration problem. Perhaps the router is blocking requests to port 80 or whatever TCP port you have configured for your web server. So if you go to http://192.168.0.1, all is fine because the Android phone is connected to the same router connection as your other computers (192.168.0.1 is probably the Default Gateway IP address) and the router is configured to allow local connections to its configuration pages. But if you go to http://192.168.0.7/relay_on, the router is internally blocking that request. I would check the port forwarding and firewall configuration of the router and make sure it is not blocking certain port requests from your Android phone. Some routers have internal log files that you can view to see if that is happening.

#16292 SQLite

Posted by monewwq1 on 04 August 2011 - 01:33 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Hmmm, I think I just figured it out. :D

#16289 SQLite

Posted by monewwq1 on 04 August 2011 - 01:04 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Would it? :) If I figure it out I'll let you know. I've done extensive searches and don't see any reference to this, but maybe there's someone out there who knows.

#16280 SQLite

Posted by monewwq1 on 03 August 2011 - 10:28 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Does anyone know if it is possible to install SQLite on a microSD card and then access the database engine using the .NET Micro Framework from my Netduino Plus? I need to add a database to my Netduino Plus project and I do not want to have to run a web server/database on a separate computer. I need the database access to be self-contained on the MCU's SD card. If there is any way to do this, even if it is not using SQLite but some other database engine, please let me know. I would rather not use flat files for storage.

#16290 SQLite

Posted by monewwq1 on 04 August 2011 - 01:20 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

This ChipworX module has built-in Sqlite support: http://www.saelig.com/NMFP/NMF010.htm I bet the Netduino doesn't have enough processing power to handle database access.

#16291 SQLite

Posted by monewwq1 on 04 August 2011 - 01:24 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

There's also this little reference to 32-bit MCU's and Sqlite: http://www.microchip...ms/m469667.aspx

#16327 SQLite

Posted by monewwq1 on 04 August 2011 - 01:35 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Well unfortunately it didn't work. I tried using this: http://system.data.s.../www/index.wiki, and it looked like it was going to work, but because .Net MF doesn't provide access to System.Data.*, the code doesn't actually load onto the Netduino. Mario, protocol-buffers is an interesting idea, although I'd really like to get Sqlite working. But it sounds like I would have to work a miracle. :D

#16807 SQLite

Posted by monewwq1 on 18 August 2011 - 12:27 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

So how about this: could I run Puppy Linux (http://puppylinux.org) headless on the microSD card, along with a LAMP stack and then somehow query the LAMP stack from the Netduino using C# code? I'm thinking of having the Netduino make a port 80 request to a php page running on the Apache web server on the Linux install, querying the MySQL database via php and then returning the results as a string to the Netduino. :) If anyone knows how to do this or thinks it would work, please let me know.

#17557 Netduino Plus Enclosures?

Posted by monewwq1 on 05 September 2011 - 03:29 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

For enclosures, I use small wooden jewelry boxes from my local arts and crafts store.

#20121 Power LED

Posted by monewwq1 on 02 November 2011 - 11:16 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Do you have black electrical tape?

If you do remove it, you'll want to use a soldering iron and tweezers (very carefully). Heat up the solder on both sides of the LED (switching every half second or so between the two) and then carefully remove the power LED using tweezers. Please note that this completely voids your warranty, for obvious reasons :)

I'd still recommend a small piece of electrical tape though...it's simple, non-destructive, and should blend right in.

Chris

I have electrical tape coming out my ears. Lol. :blink: But, e-tape gets sticky and is noticeable, and it can fall off. And I wanted something permanent.

I found that you can do exactly what you said to remove the LED, except to make it easier you only have to heat up one side and carefully wiggle the tweezers until the LED pops off of one solder point. Then just wiggle it off of the other solder point.

My Netduino has now entered the Dark Side. Oh, and it still works fine too. :) Thanks.

#20083 Power LED

Posted by monewwq1 on 02 November 2011 - 03:35 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

How can you actually remove the power LED from the board safely? I have an application I am doing with light sensors and the power LED is distracting the sensors. I would like to remove the LED but it is small. Should I just crack it off with a pair of pliers or is there a more "scientific" method? :)

#20255 Circuit wiring help

Posted by monewwq1 on 04 November 2011 - 11:20 PM in General Discussion

Euh... LOL!

"Not a resistor; wire just does this"

LOL :lol:

#20250 Circuit wiring help

Posted by monewwq1 on 04 November 2011 - 09:53 PM in General Discussion

Hi,

Can someone please assist me with wiring this circuit? Thanks!

#18386 5V Relay Driving Circuit

Posted by monewwq1 on 24 September 2011 - 11:41 PM in General Discussion

However the transistors are connected to the 5v onboard power, so I expected the output to be at 5V rather than 3.3v is that correct?

I have confirmed the NetDuino is outputting 5v on the 5v onboard output and if I connect the relay directly it works fine.

Any ideas, have I misunderstood something?

Thanks,

Charlie M

I don't quite follow this. Are you connecting the transistors to the 3v3 or the 5v on the Netduino? The Netduino has outputs of 3.3vdc and 5vdc depending on which pin you use.

Also, what is the application with the kettles? When you say kettles, do you mean like teakettles for boiling water?

#18387 5V Relay Driving Circuit

Posted by monewwq1 on 24 September 2011 - 11:44 PM in General Discussion

However the transistors are connected to the 5v onboard power, so I expected the output to be at 5V rather than 3.3v is that correct?

I have confirmed the NetDuino is outputting 5v on the 5v onboard output and if I connect the relay directly it works fine.

Any ideas, have I misunderstood something?

Thanks,

Charlie M

I don't quite follow this. Are you connecting the transistors to the 3v3 or the 5v on the Netduino? The Netduino has outputs of 3.3vdc and 5vdc depending on which pin you use.

Also, what is the application with the kettles? When you say kettles, do you mean like teakettles for boiling water?

---> Edit, I think I follow now. Do you mean you are getting 3.3vdc from the I/O pins? That is what you will get. The I/O pins output 3.3v but are 5v tolerant. See the lower right corner of the spec sheet.

You will need to use the 5v supply pin to power your 5v device.

Oops, I didn't mean to double post! Sorry! :mellow:

P.S., when it says that the I/O pins are 5v tolerant, it means you can connect a 5v signal input to the pins without damaging them.

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.