Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Netduino Plus Enclosures?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 William Bartholomew

William Bartholomew

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 09:26 PM

Are there any Netduino Plus enclosures available or can anyone recommend an enclosure that is "close enough"? I need the ethernet, USB, and DC barrel socket to be available.

#2 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 31 July 2011 - 09:49 PM

Hi William, You might want to e-mail Solarbotices. They have a "SAFE" enclosure for Netduino Plus. Not sure if they've put it up for sale on their website yet. Chris

#3 chedemefedeme

chedemefedeme

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 09:49 PM

I've heard with slight modifications these are pretty good. http://www.amazon.co...ASIN=B003ZKJNVY I've even seen a guy cut the top of one to put a 16x2 LCD in it. In your case you may just barely have to modify it to get the USB to come through. Hard to get cheaper than that, anyway.

#4 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationBreda, the Netherlands

Posted 01 August 2011 - 06:35 AM

I've heard with slight modifications these are pretty good.

http://www.amazon.co...ASIN=B003ZKJNVY

The netduino will fit into it, yes. But it requires some work indeed. See the attached photo.
The ethernet port doesn't line out correctly, so you need to widen the gap. Also, there is no gap for the micro-USB connector.

You could also craft your own:
http://forums.netdui...no-project-box/
It's a work in progress here and thanks to little free time it's not documented yet, but it's a way! :)

Attached Files

"Fact that I'm a moderator doesn't make me an expert in things." Stefan, the eternal newb!
My .NETMF projects: .NETMF Toolbox / Gadgeteer Light / Some PCB designs

#5 hgreene

hgreene

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 06:23 PM

We use the Netduino Plus at my work for some pretty advanced applications and I ran into the same problem of not being able to find a good professional looking enclosure as well. I wanted something that would snap into a standard electrical panel DIN rail (35mm), have room inside for a relatively large prototyping area (standard ExpressPCB boards are 3.8"x2.5"), have external screw terminals for easy wiring, and be flexible with mounting other arduino footprint boards ... so I designed my own (see picture attached). Note that on the picture, some of the parts are see-through but this is just so you can see the inside... the actual box is abs plastic and the faceplates are waterjetted aluminum (still debating if I want to anodize these black or just have a brushed finish look?). I'm supposed to have the finished prototype by the end of the week and then I need to get the prototyping board figured out and ordered. As soon as I have the actual enclosures available for the general public, I'll post here again on availability or you guys can email me with any questions.

Attached Files

#6 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationBreda, the Netherlands

Posted 03 August 2011 - 06:54 PM

Hi hgreene and welcome to the boards! Your project looks nice! What would be the retail price you think?
"Fact that I'm a moderator doesn't make me an expert in things." Stefan, the eternal newb!
My .NETMF projects: .NETMF Toolbox / Gadgeteer Light / Some PCB designs

#7 hgreene

hgreene

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 07:59 PM

I'm doing the best I can to get the price down, but a full enclosure minus the netduino board itself would be $87. Since I'm doing relatively small volume runs of 50 to 100, it's not economical to have an injection mold made (est. cost would be something like $8,000 - $10,000 for a mold) so that means my cost per plastic box is about $32 each, then tack on protoboard, hardware, face plates, etc ... and you can see how the price keeps going up. Maybe Sparkfun will want to buy these in bigger lots and then the price can be dropped??? I'll probably run a promo on my website for forum members to get a discount since the forum has really saved me a lot of trial-and-error time with my programs.

#8 billy

billy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 05:09 PM

Hi, I DIY'd mine. As the attached pictures, I have a Netduino plus, VS1053D shield, AdaFriut SSD1306, Rotary and a USB-RS232 for debugging. My goal is building a player apparently, if the performance is good enough, i will be doing it in C#, C++/FreeRTOS otherwise. I have a question to Netduino team, some advise here, if I program the player in C#, I know there is someone has already done so(my main focus would be 'off CPU RAM buffering'), would it be possible, that the performance good enough to handle the following? .internet steaming, .buffering to 23K256(SPI RAM)x2 or more. .Pumping the data from SPI RAM to VS1053D .and OLED Display is also connected to SPI. From the CPU datasheet, we only have 255 choices to define the SPI speed( 1 to 255 of MCK speed, which is 48k). The max speed in real we can get I think is 24MHz, correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks

Attached Files

#9 hgreene

hgreene

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 02:31 PM

I've received the prototype for the enclosure and all looks well, so I've ordered 100 units from my vendor and they said it would be a 4 week lead time. All the other components have been ordered and should be in early Sept. Hopefully, I'll have the enclosures ready to sell on my website towards the end of Sept, and will post a promo code and link as soon as the site is ready to receive orders. Also, I was thinking that not everyone will want some of the features I had included in the full $87 version, so on my site you'll be able to remove items like the DIN rail mount and prototyping board (in case people already have a board the same size they want to use), and this should help get the cost down.

#10 andersborg

andersborg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 11:04 PM

I've heard with slight modifications these are pretty good.

It's impossible to fit a 9V battery through the battery hole. I wonder what they were thinking.

The battery lid should of course be at the bottom, not the top, so there's space for LCDs etc at the top.

The box is held together via pins that go through the holes of the boards. Clever at first sight, but many shields have too small holes or in cases no holes. Own drilling can in cases solve that, unless you cut some lines in the process.

Maybe next time they get it right.

#11 baxter

baxter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 06:35 PM

American Science & Surplus has a very nice hinged top box for $3, http://www.sciplus.c...commendid/13751 I have several of these and they are good quality boxes. Baxter

#12 monewwq1

monewwq1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 03:29 AM

For enclosures, I use small wooden jewelry boxes from my local arts and crafts store.

#13 hgreene

hgreene

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 06:29 PM

So my website is finally ready and I have about 95 "OstovBox" enclosures ready to go for people looking to have a more professional enclosure for their projects. As promised, a discount code for forum members is attached as a jpg to this post and the way you'll have to use it is to type it into the discount textbox before you hit the Add To Cart button - if you go back and change the options then you'll have to type the discount code in again. Please let me know via email on the site if you have any problems purchasing through GoogleCheckout and/or any comments or questions about the enclosure. If you want just the enclosure and end plates but without other options and you use the discount code ... the total comes to $39.60 each before shipping (which is reasonable I think???).

My website is : www.hunter-automation.com

and my company email is : hunter.automation@gmail.com

I built the site myself in visual studio and between GoDaddy server crashes, GoogleCheckout crashes, and my semi-pro aspx.net programming, it wouldn't suprise me if people have problems at some point with the site but just bare with me and I'll do my best to fix it.

Attached File  DiscountCode.jpg   13.76KB   26 downloads

#14 Hiram

Hiram

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:43 PM

Hello All, I've seen a few posts about sizes and such on the Netduino Plus especially when it comes to an enclosure. I've drawn up the unit I received so I can modify whatever enclosure I end up using. In the spirit of open source I've decided to post those cad drawings in pdf format. The emphasis of these drawings are the dimensions needed to fit into/modify an enclosure so while the pin locations are pretty close (say +/-0.005") I have not detailed them. Hope it is helpful to somebody else. Regards, Hiram

Attached Files

#15 caEstrada

caEstrada

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:26 PM

Hiram,

Great job; even better the attitude to share.

Thanks,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.