Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.

Coding Smackdown's Content

There have been 72 items by Coding Smackdown (Search limited from 15-May 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#37389 OnInterrupt firing multiple times

Posted by Coding Smackdown on 18 October 2012 - 01:55 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

You are correct about the bounce being a voltage fluctuation. The other part is how the Netduino determines an edge change from low to high. As I understand it, The Netduino will look at voltages below 1.6V as a logic low and those above as a logic high. So if your trace isn't showing a pronounced bounce it could be that the signal is varying just enough to be seen as fluctuating from low to high causing the Netduino to trigger the interrupt multiple times. Hope that helps

#35718 Netduino Plus Built in Sketch

Posted by Coding Smackdown on 21 September 2012 - 04:51 PM in General Discussion

There is nothing to worry about. The devices only come with the latest firmware at the time of manufacture which does not include a diagnostic program. I usually end up flashing with the latest firmware as soon as I get a new device just to make sure it is on the same revision of firmware that I'm currently using. Cheers!

#35503 Netduino Mini Firmware v4.2.0

Posted by Coding Smackdown on 18 September 2012 - 10:28 PM in Netduino Mini

Hi. I successfully updated my netduino, but I've tried twice now to update my mini following the directions, and everything seems to go fine, but at the end I have an unresponsive board. I'm using the 232 firmware and at the end of the process I can't ping it using mfdeploy ("No response from device"). I tried switching to TTL interface and giving it an escape command in a terminal and I also don't get a response. Is there something wrong with the 232 firmware image, or any suggestions on how I might troubleshoot a problem on my end?

Thanks,
MR

Yep, there is an issue with the 232 firmware. The ETA for an update should be coming up within the next day or two. For now, you'll have to use the TTL firmware.

Good Luck!

#20973 Netduino for beginners - Gentle introduction with basic electronic project

Posted by Coding Smackdown on 25 November 2011 - 03:52 PM in Project Showcase

Hello,

Thank you for the nice work.

I am a teatcher also, and I would like to know how did you do that nice Netduino Views to how the wiring connections? Do you use any CAD model or image you could share?

Thank you,

Igor.

You can get those nice breadboard images using a tool called Fritzing. Its a free tool that you can down load from http:// www.fritzing.org

It also gives you the ability to view the schematic and a PC Board of the circuit as well.

Cheers

Jim Lavin

#21010 NeonMika.Webserver

Posted by Coding Smackdown on 27 November 2011 - 03:51 AM in Project Showcase

Markus, I've pulled down your code and have been trying to use it for an interface to a temperature logger that I'm building. The concept really fits into what I need, however I've noticed that after running for a couple of minutes it seems to be going off into nowhere and never answers. I'm running under the .NetMF 4.2 RC3 firmware, so I'm not sure if it is the newer firmware or maybe the code. Have you run into anything like this or does it run without issue for you? Just trying to figure out where I should be spending my time trouble shooting. Thanks

#21028 NeonMika.Webserver

Posted by Coding Smackdown on 27 November 2011 - 04:52 PM in Project Showcase

Markus, I've posted the differences out on codeplex for you. Hopefully they'll be of help. Cheers, Jim Lavin

#21023 NeonMika.Webserver

Posted by Coding Smackdown on 27 November 2011 - 03:36 PM in Project Showcase

Are you running in debug mode?
There you can check if incoming requests get ignored...
Probably you get a outofmemory-exception?

I sometimes had the problem that it just worked fine for a time and then it stopped receiving requests, i will look into that as soon as i have time :)

It mustbe something in the Server-class' Listening loop...
Probably you can find an error there (about 20 lines of code)...

Greets

Markus,

It is not throwing an exception of any kind, but I think you are right with it running out of resources. I was playing with the server listening loop and did make some changes and now it runs without issue. Let me spend some time comparing my changes to the original code and I'll post an issue to the codeplex page.

I also made some changes to the Handle Request method and changed from an array list to a hashtable to speed up request processing. I'll also post those changes as well.

Thanks,

Jim Lavin

#21105 NeonMika.Webserver

Posted by Coding Smackdown on 29 November 2011 - 01:29 PM in Project Showcase

Markus, I had to add code to handle the HTM and HTML file types to the extension handler so it would return the proper MIME type. It seems if you request index.html from the server it was always coming back as application/octetstream instead of text/html. I also added a JSON request handler that uses a JSON library to return requests in JSON format. Let me know if you want me to post the code for you to include. Cheers,

#21174 NeonMika.Webserver

Posted by Coding Smackdown on 30 November 2011 - 05:29 PM in Project Showcase

Thanks for updating the code stream. I'll be pulling down the updates and testing it out.

#21049 NeonMika.Webserver

Posted by Coding Smackdown on 28 November 2011 - 01:04 AM in Project Showcase

I think it had to do with the client socket not being closed after the request.

#21104 NeonMika.Webserver

Posted by Coding Smackdown on 29 November 2011 - 01:22 PM in Project Showcase

I'm doing something similar by using jQuery to post data back to the server. First I added additional pin types to the Pin Management class, then I added a couple of new request methods like Markus discussed. I then have web pages that can be returned from the server which contain my user interface which have jQuery methods that send the request back to the server to be processed and return the results. This way I can interact with the Netduino however I wish, I can even use this method to set the time and network settings on the device. You just have to be careful about how much functionality you try to shoehorn into the device since memory is pretty tight. To build my temperature controller complete with logging and history charts I end up with about 30K worth of code when all finished. That included a complete library to send back JSON formatted data. You can do quite a bit.

#31097 Need Help with LCD Display Board

Posted by Coding Smackdown on 22 June 2012 - 06:07 PM in General Discussion

I recently have been putting together a replacement controller for an Electric Turkey Fryer. I had everything working just perfectly with all of the circuits on a breadboard and had even brewed 5 batch of beer with the entire setup. I had created two circuit boards to put in an enclosure with the Netduino, one was a shield that held all of the power conversion, relay driver and button connections, the other was a daughter board that attaches to a 16 x 2 LCD Display using the same circuit in Simon's post over at http://geekswithblog...id_crystal.aspx I sent the board out to BatchPCB.com to be made and finally got them back. I spent a couple days assembling the boards and when I went to test everything my LCD Display is not working. At first I thought maybe my connector from the shield to the daughter board was messed up, but I checked it and I have connectivity to everything as expected along with +5V and Ground. What I am not seeing is +5V at the LCD Display, I'm only seeing +1.8V. At first I thought there was a short some place, but I cannot find anything wrong. I went back to re-wiring the daughter board on the breadboard and now I'm getting the same results coming off the shield. It looks as if the signals to drive the 595 chip are not coming across. The connector I'm using is about 6 inches in length, which was about the same length as the jumpers I used when originally wired up the circuit. What I'm seeing now is a bunch of garbage on the display and a lot of strange flashing and the back light going on and off as the Netduino sends data to the display. I've attached pictures of the schematics and pc boards for you to take a look at in hopes someone can spot my issue. The boards are double sided with the red traces on the top and the blue traces on the bottom. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. Thanks

Attached Thumbnails

• Main_Board_Schematic.png
  • Main_Shield_Board.png
  • LCD_Display_Schematic.png
  • LCD_Display Board.png

#37924 Multiple Threads v. While Loop

Posted by Coding Smackdown on 24 October 2012 - 02:23 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

My Netduino based Brew Controller uses both interrupts and threads and would probably be a good example for you to see one way of doing things. I use interrupts to handle the main panel buttons and I use threads to handle the various services; temperature monitoring, mash profile, web Server, Internet Time Service and NETBIOS Services. You can find the complete code over at https://github.com/l...yBrewController Hope it helps.

#35717 Modbus-TCP library

Posted by Coding Smackdown on 21 September 2012 - 04:46 PM in Project Showcase

Congratulations! It nice to see something being done here making it into an industry library listing.

#34085 Mini Upgrade Woes

Posted by Coding Smackdown on 23 August 2012 - 05:35 AM in Netduino Mini

Any time frame on fixing the RS232 version of the firmware?

#35786 Mini Upgrade Woes

Posted by Coding Smackdown on 22 September 2012 - 05:31 AM in Netduino Mini

Just finished flashing my two Netduino Minis to the 4.2.0.1 RS-232 Firmware and it went off without a hitch. Thanks guys for getting this fix out so quickly.

#21110 Lightweight JSON parser

Posted by Coding Smackdown on 29 November 2011 - 03:30 PM in Project Showcase

Thanks Fabien,
I figured system.Net was not the way to go and have been playing with the NetMF WebRequest instead.
The page I need to collect is a simple 4k xhtml - so I could write a very basic XML parser (the tags etc will be consistent)

system.XML is of course too big for the NetduinoPlus too - so I was hoping you had an example where you were using your JSON parser with a simple web request that worked on the Netduiino (I assumed that you already had this code)

Thanks for the reply - it was infact helpful and has pointed me in a new direction (did not consider using the SD for storage)
The clases in KloutKlock definitely open some new options - so I'll see how i get on and post back - thanks for the help

I've gone down the route your suggesting and even with a bare bones XML parser you'll be bouncing up against the memory constraints of the device. If you can get something even simpler to parse you'll be much better off.

Sometimes even though you love a device it may not be the right thing for the job and you may need to pick a device that has the capabilities you need. I originally wanted to use the Netduino Plus for a print agent that would pull XML from a service and dump it out to a receipt printer, but by the time I got web request and xml parsing coded I didn't have enough resources to do the IP based printing.

If you really want to use the device you may have to rethink how you'll get the data and process it in order to keep within the constraints of the device.

Regards,

Jim Lavin

#38801 Introducing Netduino Plus 2

Posted by Coding Smackdown on 08 November 2012 - 11:10 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Great News! Just ordered 2 from Amazon! Now my Brew System won't be so overtaxed with the PID and Web server running together. Can't wait to get them and put in my controller box.

#37744 Internet Printing (IPP) from Netduino

Posted by Coding Smackdown on 22 October 2012 - 02:31 AM in General Discussion

About a year back I wrote some basic code to print on network receipt printers. The biggest issue I had was all of the example code was too big for the Netduino. I end up sending basic text and ASCII commands to the printer, but never got what I was looking for. Now With .Net 4.2 you might have enough memory to do it. Its double almost since last time i tried. Good luck!

#30230 Inductive sensor input problem

Posted by Coding Smackdown on 05 June 2012 - 01:09 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Kristoffer, By default the Digital IO pins only return a True for High (3.3V) or False for Low (0V). If you want to read varying degrees of voltage you'll need to use one of the Analog IO Pins. These will return a voltage between 0 and 3.3V that you could then use to determine the proximity from the device. There are a lot of examples in the forums as well in several of the books on Netduino to help get you started. Good Luck and keep us posted on your progress.

#30252 Inductive sensor input problem

Posted by Coding Smackdown on 05 June 2012 - 07:36 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

If I remember correctly, The Netduino will see anything higher than 1V as True and this might be where your trouble is. Can you configure your voltage divider such that when the sensor is not triggered your below 1V? Guys, can you help me out with what the true voltage threshold is for On vs. Off on the digital ports?

#21278 How to set a static ip address?

Posted by Coding Smackdown on 03 December 2011 - 12:27 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

If you are wanting to do it from within your program check out this post It talks about the NetworkInterface Class that allows you to manipulative the network settings on the Netduino Plus. http://forums.netdui...uration-options I'm getting ready to update my Temperature Logger to provide full network address configuration from within my web-base GUI. Once I finish the updates I'll post back here so you have an example.

#35525 How to install (or upgrade to) .NET Micro Framework v4.2 SDK

Posted by Coding Smackdown on 19 September 2012 - 05:42 AM in General Discussion

Thanks that worked out just fine.

#35514 How to install (or upgrade to) .NET Micro Framework v4.2 SDK

Posted by Coding Smackdown on 19 September 2012 - 01:11 AM in General Discussion

Chris, I'm trying to use the new AnalogInput classes, but how do I define an AnalogChannel that corresponds with Cpu.Pins.GPIO_PIN_A0? I'm not seeing a link between the two. Thanks

#35079 Homebrew fermentation temperature controller

Posted by Coding Smackdown on 12 September 2012 - 09:47 PM in General Discussion

I bought several of the relays for SparkFun to do just what your talking about and they work fine for things like the fridge, freezer and pump motors. I wouldn't try to drive a Water Heating element with them though. I was searching for a good thermocouple/thermistor for one of my mod projects and found that Brewer's Hardware have several different types you could purchase that work OK. I just stay away from the temp probes for the Brewtroller since they use One-Wire support and right now the Netduino does not support One-Wire communications without dropping back to version 4.1. I found out that they have both Positive and Negative temperature coefficient temp probes so you might want to call them to make sure you get one that is a negative coefficient probe and then you can use any of thermistor code out on the arduino forums to read the probes. I've also posted a lot about my Netduino Brewing Projects out on my site http://diybrewery.com and am in the process of putting together a book on my projects. Good Luck! I'm looking forward to what you come up with.

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.