Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

How to install (or upgrade to) .NET Micro Framework v4.2 SDK

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:21 PM

To install the .NET Micro Framework v4.2 SDK
To upgrade to the .NET Micro Framework v4.2 SDK
To upgrade a project (for Netduinos flashed with .NET MF 4.2)
  • Click on the Project menu, then click on "<ProjectName> Properties" in the menu.
  • Select the "Application" tab
  • Select the desired "Target Framework" in the pull-down (either v4.1 or v4.2)
If you try to deploy a .NET MF 4.1 project to a .NET MF 4.2 board (or vice-versa), Visual Studio will tell you that the assembly libraries' versions do not match.

Compatibility with .NET MF 4.1 projects and boards
The new SDKs will work with Netduinos flashed with .NET MF v4.1.

New AnalogInput and PWM classes -- backwards-compatibility notes
.NET MF 4.2 adds new AnalogInput and PWM classes. To use the earlier SecretLabs' AnalogInput and PWM classes, add the respective assembly as a reference in your project and use the full "namespace + class name" of the classes.

For instance, to use SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware.PWM (instead of the new Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware.PWM class):
// add SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware.PWM.dll as a reference to your project.
// PWM pwm = new PWM(Pins.GPIO_PIN_D5);
// becomes...
SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware.PWM pwm = new SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware.PWM(Pins.GPIO_PIN_D5);
Chris

#2 Coyttl

Coyttl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationSilver Spring, MD, USA

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:03 PM

Odd question about the .NET Micro Framework 4.2.. You say to uninstall v4.1 (QFE1) framework.. but I have them both installed. Why is uninstallation necessary? (It's been working fine like this since I tried out 4.2RC5..) Just wondering if anything would break. :)

#3 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:05 PM

Hi Coyttl,

Odd question about the .NET Micro Framework 4.2.. You say to uninstall v4.1 (QFE1) framework.. but I have them both installed. Why is uninstallation necessary? (It's been working fine like this since I tried out 4.2RC5..) Just wondering if anything would break. :)

The .NET MF 4.2 SDK includes the files for the 4.1 SDK as well. You may be able to install both, but it could mess with the installer's reference counting.

We make the recommendation in part to help you avoid potential installer glitches in the future.

The Netduino SDK will auto-upgrade the older version, so technically if you try to install both the older and newer Netduino SDK...the newer one will uninstall the old one automatically.

Chris

#4 Coyttl

Coyttl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationSilver Spring, MD, USA

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:26 PM

Hi Coyttl,

The .NET MF 4.2 SDK includes the files for the 4.1 SDK as well. You may be able to install both, but it could mess with the installer's reference counting.

We make the recommendation in part to help you avoid potential installer glitches in the future.

Got it, good to hear. Haven't had any trouble yet - if I do, uninstalling v4.1 will be the first thing to go. (I use it for another development platform, so the longer I can keep it around, the better!)

The Netduino SDK will auto-upgrade the older version, so technically if you try to install both the older and newer Netduino SDK...the newer one will uninstall the old one automatically.

It did, too!

--Mike.

#5 atx

atx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:35 PM

New AnalogInput and PWM classes -- backwards-compatibility notes
.NET MF 4.2 adds new AnalogInput and PWM classes. To use the earlier SecretLabs' AnalogInput and PWM classes, add the respective assembly as a reference in your project and use the full "namespace + class name" of the classes.

For instance, to use SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware.PWM (instead of the new Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware.PWM class):

// add SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware.PWM.dll as a reference to your project.
// PWM pwm = new PWM(Pins.GPIO_PIN_D5);
// becomes...
SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware.PWM pwm = new SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware.PWM(Pins.GPIO_PIN_D5);
Chris

Hi,

Can use
using SLPWM = SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware.PWM;

SLPWM pwm = new SLPWM(Pins.GPIO_PIN_D5);

Agostinho

#6 RWL

RWL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationDetroit (GPP), MI

Posted 15 August 2012 - 02:40 PM

Chris, I get an error when trying to install the 64-bit Netduino SDK v4.2: "Error reading setup initialization file." I'm running Windows 8 (64-bit); I did not have this problem with the v4.1 SDK. I first tried uninstalling v4.1 and installing v4.2, then installing v4.1 and installing v4.2 (to "upgrade"), but got the above error both times once I got to the v4.2 install. Regards, RWL (Jerry)

#7 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 15 August 2012 - 02:49 PM

Hi Jerry,

I get an error when trying to install the 64-bit Netduino SDK v4.2: "Error reading setup initialization file."

I'm running Windows 8 (64-bit); I did not have this problem with the v4.1 SDK.

I just tried this on my Windows 8 "Release Preview" laptop and it installed. Hmm...

Can you try saving the SDK installer on your desktop and then running it?

Also...are you running Windows 8 beta or the brand new RTM release?

Chris

#8 RWL

RWL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 02:54 PM

Hi Jerry,

I just tried this on my Windows 8 "Release Preview" laptop and it installed. Hmm...

Can you try saving the SDK installer on your desktop and then running it?

Also...are you running Windows 8 beta or the brand new RTM release?

Chris

I did try installing from the desktop. It might be the Win8 version - I'm still running the consumer preview. I'll upgrade to the RTM and try again, thanks!

#9 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 15 August 2012 - 03:35 PM

I did try installing from the desktop. It might be the Win8 version - I'm still running the consumer preview. I'll upgrade to the RTM and try again, thanks!

No problem. If that still doesn't work for you, then we can get you an MSI version of the installer and run it in diagnostics mode on your PC. That will generate a log file to help us understand the situation better.

Chris

#10 Bendage

Bendage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationIrvine, CA

Posted 25 August 2012 - 07:05 AM

Just reformatted my drive with Win 7 (64) AND vs 2012. This won't install on 2012. Any hacks to make it work? I was hoping to move on from 2010.

#11 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 25 August 2012 - 09:20 AM

Hi Bendage,

Just reformatted my drive with Win 7 (64) AND vs 2012. This won't install on 2012. Any hacks to make it work? I was hoping to move on from 2010.

.NET Micro Framework 4.3 will be the first version of NETMF to support VS2012.

I anticipate that we will have a first beta of NETMF 4.3 within the next month or two.

Chris

#12 Hobbit

Hobbit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationIrvine, CA

Posted 02 September 2012 - 08:00 PM

Hi Chris, I need to buy some minis for my classroom. Where can I get them from with 4.2 already installed? I think I bought some from you guys directly but I can't recall. Thanks, Hobbit
Assoc. Professor
Santiago Canyon College
Orange, CA

#13 RWL

RWL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:28 AM

No problem. If that still doesn't work for you, then we can get you an MSI version of the installer and run it in diagnostics mode on your PC. That will generate a log file to help us understand the situation better.

Chris

Finally got my system upgraded and everything reinstalled. (Well, enough reinstalled that I can program my N+ again.)
Got MF updated to 4.2, and the firmware on the device is now 4.2.0.0. Config change and an additional .dll referenced (I use the SecretLabs' Analog objects), and I'm back up and running!

Thanks for all your help.

#14 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:55 AM

Hi Hobbit,

I need to buy some minis for my classroom. Where can I get them from with 4.2 already installed? I think I bought some from you guys directly but I can't recall.

You have PM.

Chris

#15 soshimo

soshimo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:15 PM

Can I upgrade/install v4.2 on a Mini? I am trying to decide between 4.1.1 beta 1 for the StorageDevice support and v4.2. I'm also assuming that v4.2 has the StorageDevice support.

#16 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:23 PM

Can I upgrade/install v4.2 on a Mini?

I am trying to decide between 4.1.1 beta 1 for the StorageDevice support and v4.2. I'm also assuming that v4.2 has the StorageDevice support.

Yes, you can install .NET MF 4.2 on a Netduino Mini. Just FYI...we're working on an update for the RS232 version of the Mini firmware, which should be ready later this week.

v4.2 should have StorageDevice support. If you run into any troubles, just let us know.

Chris

#17 soshimo

soshimo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:02 PM

Yes, you can install .NET MF 4.2 on a Netduino Mini. Just FYI...we're working on an update for the RS232 version of the Mini firmware, which should be ready later this week.

v4.2 should have StorageDevice support. If you run into any troubles, just let us know.

Chris

Sounds good Chris, thanks for the quick update! I use TTL so this should be okay for me. I think I just screwed things up though. I went ahead and installed 4.1.1 beta 1 and now neither MFDeploy or Visual Studio can talk to the device. Putty is fine though so I know something is working. I might have to erase and reflash.

Sorry to hijack the subject, but can I use a mk II ISP to reprogram these guys? I use AVR Studio, will that work? I'm assuming just hook up MOSI, MISO, SCLK, etc.. from the programmer and I should be good to go.

#18 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:01 PM

Hi soshimo,

Sorry to hijack the subject, but can I use a mk II ISP to reprogram these guys? I use AVR Studio, will that work? I'm assuming just hook up MOSI, MISO, SCLK, etc.. from the programmer and I should be good to go.

That programmer is designed to work with AVRs; you'll need to use SAM-BA to flash the bootloader on these Atmel ARM microcontrollers.

Chris

#19 Coding Smackdown

Coding Smackdown

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationLewisville, TX USA

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:11 AM

Chris, I'm trying to use the new AnalogInput classes, but how do I define an AnalogChannel that corresponds with Cpu.Pins.GPIO_PIN_A0? I'm not seeing a link between the two. Thanks
Brewing Award Winning Beer with a Netduino!
http://diybrewery.com

#20 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:23 AM

Hi Coding Smackdown,

I'm trying to use the new AnalogInput classes, but how do I define an AnalogChannel that corresponds with Cpu.Pins.GPIO_PIN_A0?

Just start typing "AnalogChannels." (with an 's' in Channels). It'll give you an enumeration including ANALOG_PIN_A0 through _A5.

PWM works the same way, with PWMChannels.###

Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.