Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Introducing Netduino Plus 2

• Please log in to reply
195 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:07 AM

Dear Friends,

Many of you have asked for a Netduino Plus with more speed, more flash, more RAM, and more features.

Today we make that dream a reality.

Introducing Netduino Plus 2. Just $59.95.
Netduino Plus 2 Specs
Where to Buy (resellers)

Netduino Plus 2 has four times the speed (168MHz), six times the code space (384KB), and twice the available RAM (100KB+) of Netduino Plus 1.

And we didn't just make the board faster or give it more flash and ram. We also gave it a whole series of rich new features.

Features like four serial ports. Six PWM channels. And 12-bit ADC.

Features like power headers that turn on and off via code, so you can power on shields when you want to. Pins which can drive up to 25mA of current to light LEDs. And Arduino "R3" compatibility to support future shields (in addition to existing shields, thanks to Netduino Plus 2's 5V digital I/O tolerance).

And because there's so much room in flash, we've added OneWire and Time Server directly into the NETMF firmware. We've left quite a bit of space for future features.

This board is built to last, to get even more feature-rich over time.

You might notice that we swapped out the 6-pin ICSP header for a 10-pin MiniJTAG header. The goal is to enable developers to compile their own firmware using GCC--and debug both native and managed code at the same time. If you need the ICSP header for a shield, simply sandwich a MakerShield in the middle: it'll route the ICSP pins for you.

There are a lot of microcontroller features which we can expose through software updates. We'll be leveraging OTP and could expose the Watchdog timer, and I know that more than a few users will want to hack away at the exposed CANBUS peripheral.

We're really excited about the new gen2 hardware (both Netduino Go and Netduino Plus 2). They both have a long life ahead of them including even more functionality to help you realize your dream projects and commercial endeavors.

There's so much more to cover... Please enjoy your Netduino Plus 2 boards, and let me know your questions!

Chris
Secret Labs LLC

P.S. Commercial customers -- we're not leaving you behind. Netduino Plus 2 is designed to be a drop-in replacement in most circumstances, and we can still make Netduino Plus 1 boards for you.

Attached Files

#2 awaiK

awaiK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:21 AM

Awesome Chris! Can't wait to see it on european distributors (Amazon US doesn't ship to europe). Is the a limited edition or a regular new family member?

#3 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:24 AM

Awesome Chris! Can't wait to see it on european distributors (Amazon US doesn't ship to europe).

Is the a limited edition or a regular new family member?

Netduino Plus 2 is the new Netduino Plus. We'll have software updates for both--but the new hardware gives us so much room and so many capabilities to work with.

We let resellers know about Netduino Plus 2 this morning, and they've already started asking for boards. Netduino Plus 2 should start arriving at European and African resellers by next weekend.

Thanks for your enthusiasm! We're pretty excited too!

Chris

#4 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationBreda, the Netherlands

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:26 AM

Woot! A Netduino Plus 2!
"Fact that I'm a moderator doesn't make me an expert in things." Stefan, the eternal newb!
My .NETMF projects: .NETMF Toolbox / Gadgeteer Light / Some PCB designs

#5 ColinR

ColinR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationCape Town, South Africa

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:26 AM

My grubby paws would love one of these! 100KB RAM B)

#6 Mario Vernari

Mario Vernari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1768 posts
  • LocationVenezia, Italia

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:27 AM

Hmm...any onboard Ethernet?
Biggest fault of Netduino? It runs by electricity.

#7 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:33 AM

Hmm...any onboard Ethernet?

Oh, definitely! And Micro SD.

We're using the same networking on Netduino Plus 2 that we're using on the Ethernet GoBus module. In fact...we tested both at the same time. That's why the Ethernet module was delayed a bit; more news on that soon as well. :)

Chris

#8 baxter

baxter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:34 AM

Just bought one from Amazon (and didn't even have to pay the new CA sales tax). The Amazon picture shows ethernet. Baxter

#9 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:34 AM

Woot! A Netduino Plus 2!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Nzw1t00Vnk

LoL Shield, nice demo, Stefan!

The digital pins now output up to 25mA each (~125mA max for all pins combined). Combined with the 6 PWMs, Netduino Plus 2 works with even more of the popular shields than Netduino Plus 1.

Chris

#10 Paul Newton

Paul Newton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationBerkshire, UK

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:51 AM

Great tosee a new Plus. Can the ADC accept a 5V reference to make those difficult to use Arduino analogue shields work? Paul

#11 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationBreda, the Netherlands

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:53 AM

No, it will still measure 0 to 3.3V as range.
But since Arduino is experiencing the same problem (they also have 3.3V boards) they decided to add the IORef pin, which is also available on the Netduino Plus 2. In the future that should solve that problem.

For now, you can best fix it in an easier way, for example by modifying the shield a bit, like I did with the Joystick Shield.
"Fact that I'm a moderator doesn't make me an expert in things." Stefan, the eternal newb!
My .NETMF projects: .NETMF Toolbox / Gadgeteer Light / Some PCB designs

#12 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:06 AM

Hi Paul,

Can the ADC accept a 5V reference to make those difficult to use Arduino analogue shields work?

Stefan is correct. With the new IOREF pins, new shields should start outputting 3.3V analog. Netduino Plus 2 takes shield compatibility to a whole new level...in several ways.

BTW, if anyone needs the old ICSP headers...we made sure there is a solution for that too. Just add a MakerShield on top and it'll expose the ICSP pins for you. We swapped them out for MiniJTAG--which is going to be a really powerful feature for users who delve into native code.

Chris

#13 Paul Newton

Paul Newton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationBerkshire, UK

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:07 AM

No, it will still measure 0 to 3.3V as range.
But since Arduino is experiencing the same problem (they also have 3.3V boards) they decided to add the IORef pin, which is also available on the Netduino Plus 2. In the future that should solve that problem.

For now, you can best fix it in an easier way, for example by modifying the shield a bit, like I did with the Joystick Shield.

That sounds like a good solution.

I recall a forum member trying touse an LCD shield that used a resistor ladder for input buttons. He could either use 5V and see the LCD, or use 3.3V and use the buttons - but not both without a major strip down of the shield.

#14 GeBrander

GeBrander

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:09 AM

Is the Netduino plus 2 capable of SD cards larger than 2GB?

#15 Nicky

Nicky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:15 AM

Oh you sneaky sons of b**ches! Just as I was going to settle with my Netduino Go .. dammit, decisions decisions.

ntools
TCP Listener (Beta) · FTP Server (Alpha)
Netduino Plus Go Module · Xml Parser
http://ntools.codeplex.com/

#16 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:21 AM

Is the Netduino plus 2 capable of SD cards larger than 2GB?

Hardware-wise, yes.

KodeDaemon sent over a code update last week that we couldn't get into the 4.2.1 firmware in time...but we'll be adding support for larger cards very soon. Netduino Plus 1 will also be getting the software update.

Chris

#17 Paolo Patierno

Paolo Patierno

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:41 AM

It's amazing ! More information about Mini-JTAG !!???

Paolo Patierno

Microsoft MVP on Windows Embedded & IoT

Azure Advisor

Twitter : @ppatierno
Linkedin : paolopatierno
Blog : DevExperience

Blog : Embedded101
?

#18 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:50 AM

Hi Paolo,

It's amazing !
More information about Mini-JTAG !!???

It's a standard MiniJTAG port (Cortex Debug Port to be exact).

You can debug using the STLink/V2 and TI MDL-ADA2 JTAG to MiniJTAG adapter. $41.25 for the set, which is ridiculously inexpensive.

We use these instead of our $2000+ ARM RVICE hardware. It works beautifully and supports quite a few breakpoints. We debug C# code, step into native code (alt+tab) and back and forth. It's pretty awesome.

And for those who want a really really nice Cortex-M4F devboard for C/C++ code...Netduino Plus 2 does that really well too. Arduino shield compatibility is a big bonus there too.

Chris

#19 ImplicitSystems

ImplicitSystems

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationLake Havasu City, AZ

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:14 AM

NICE!! I was dreaming of this! Is Remote Firmware uploading going to be available too? via Ethernet? This would be the cherry on the top.

Thanks a million,

Andy

Andy

#20 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:35 AM

Hi Andy,

NICE!! I was dreaming of this! Is Remote Firmware uploading going to be available too? via Ethernet? This would be the cherry on the top.

That is a good question. There's enough space left that you could actually run one app which flashes and loads another app. Not an overnight thing, but we have allocated a little bit of space for future potential on-chip storage...so that might help along the same lines.

The other thing we may be able to do with this board: local deployment/debugging over Ethernet. There were some issues with the lwIP implementation that prevented this, but it may be possible with NETMF 4.2/4.3.

Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.