Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.

Chris Walker's Content

There have been 606 items by Chris Walker (Search limited from 20-May 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#63667 Can't create custom events

Posted by Chris Walker on 27 July 2015 - 06:27 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

If you run into this issue (especially with VS2015), here's a quick fix...

Add the following class to your project:
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// 
// Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved. 
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// 
using System;

namespace System.Diagnostics
{
    //  DebuggerBrowsableState states are defined as follows:
    //      Never       never show this element
    //      Expanded    expansion of the class is done, so that all visible internal members are shown
    //      Collapsed   expansion of the class is not performed. Internal visible members are hidden
    //      RootHidden  The target element itself should not be shown, but should instead be
    //                  automatically expanded to have its members displayed.
    //  Default value is collapsed

//  Please also change the code which validates DebuggerBrowsableState variable (in this file)
    //  if you change this enum.
    public enum DebuggerBrowsableState
    {
        Never = 0,
        Collapsed = 2,
        RootHidden = 3
    }
}
This was copy-and-pasted from the NETMF source. License is Apache 2.0.

This really shouldn't be necessary (and in fact...it should trigger a duplicated code warning/error). But it should get you back up and running.

Chris

#63652 Netduino Wifi DAQ server with hardware driven adc

Posted by Chris Walker on 24 July 2015 - 11:43 PM in Netduino 3

Hi Lou,

Generally speaking, NETMF abstracts away the MCU registers--instead giving you a unified IO object model that works across lots of different families of microcontrollers.

You can certainly add in some native code functionality in the NETMF source itself (with interop classes, HAL, etc.) but this isn't something you can do today (ADC sampling with DMA, etc.) from managed code.

As Llilum progresses, we may be able to support some scenarios along these lines from C#...but that project is a proof of concept at this point.

Chris

#63647 How can customer configure wifi password

Posted by Chris Walker on 24 July 2015 - 06:38 PM in Netduino 3

Hey Terrence,

NETMF doesn't have a method to do this for Wi-Fi (i.e. all network setup is done through MFDeploy/MFDeployEngine). We're really reticent to create functions which unnecessarily add incompatibility outside the NETMF core...but this looks like a scenario where extending the standard classes makes sense.

Are you looking for a scenario where the user can use your Netduino as an AP, connect and give it Wi-Fi credentials? A scenario where your Netduino acts as an AP (i.e. only two devices on the network)?

Or are you just wanting to be able to programmatically enter the Wi-Fi credentials via code?

Chris

#63646 Problem:Have WIFI Green light, can't ping or see attached on router

Posted by Chris Walker on 24 July 2015 - 06:34 PM in Netduino 3

Hi Sean,

Yeah, sorry, the WEP key setup in MFDeploy is a bit confusing. If you use WPA/WPA2, it's much simpler.

Plus...with open WEP networks (by spec) you can connect (green LED) without fully authenticating or getting an IPv4 address allocated--which makes things even more confusing.

Glad you're up and running; let us know if you run into any other troubles!

Chris

#63621 Issues with Serial Communication

Posted by Chris Walker on 23 July 2015 - 06:22 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Hi Cyclone,

I was having trouble getting that to work, so decided to just test basic serial communication to work by simply linking the first Netduino TX (Pin D1 ... Com1) to the RX on the same Netduino (Pin D3).

Above is the basic code I wrote ... Spot anything wrong?

First things first... Pin D1 and pin D3 are both TX pins. You'll want to connect pin D1 (COM1 TX) to D2 (COM2 RX).

Does that get you started down the right path?

Chris

#63620 VS2013 is history, can't get VS2015 working

Posted by Chris Walker on 23 July 2015 - 06:20 AM in Visual Studio

Hi Joshk,

Here's a direct link to the NETMF plug-in for VS2015:
http://www.netduino..../netmfvs14.vsix

Chris

#63616 Netduino 3 on Amazon.ca

Posted by Chris Walker on 22 July 2015 - 04:27 PM in Netduino 3

Hi Driver A,

Amazon.ca should have more Netduino 3 Wi-Fi boards in stock in a few weeks. Working on it.

Chris

#63609 my Netduino 2 is stuck in BootLoader mode and its driver will not respond

Posted by Chris Walker on 22 July 2015 - 04:23 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Hey vad710,

Was there ever a solution to this?

Are you experiencing a similar issue? In most circumstances this is an issue fixed by erasing and reflashing the Netduino. [Unless it's an issue related to damaged/bad hardware...]

Chris

#63608 Adafruit RGB LCD Shield

Posted by Chris Walker on 22 July 2015 - 04:22 AM in Project Showcase

Oh hey cool. Thanks for sharing this, Giawa!

Welcome to the Netduino community,

Chris

#63607 NetMF 4.2 and PKI

Posted by Chris Walker on 22 July 2015 - 04:21 AM in Netduino Mini

Hi kiwi65,

Netduino Mini doesn't support this style of encryption. There was some early non-open-source crypto in NETMF (and there was even support for the early version of XTEA)--but to get a true crypto solution with NETMF you're really looking for a higher-end MCU running OpenSSL, etc.

Chris

#63605 SerialPort Receive Data Corruption

Posted by Chris Walker on 22 July 2015 - 02:59 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Hi Hawkez,

Some diagnostics steps to simplify this a bit and figure out what's going on:

1. First of all, use hardware flow control. COM2 on pins D2/D3 (with RTS/CTS on D7/D8) will make sure that data doesn't overflow on the serial lines (i.e. buffer corruption).
2. Before creating an app which reads SD card data for loopback testing, try sending the numbers 0-9 repeatedly (or bytes 0-255). Then add in the SD card. If/when the test breaks, we have a path for resolution.

BTW, we have done a lot of loop back tests with Netduino hardware (with flow control on) and have never seen data corruption in a production environment. If NETMF is losing/corrupting data somewhere...we want to fix that.

Chris

#63602 Analog input problem

Posted by Chris Walker on 22 July 2015 - 01:33 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Hi PhilP,

As scardinale surmised...if you specify the precisionInBits, it should match the ADC. The ADCs on Netduino 3 Wi-Fi are higher resolution (12-bit), so swap in 12 instead of 8 and you should be good to go.

You can always do a ReadRaw and then bit-shift 4 bits (>> 4) if you want to get rid of some resolution.

Does that get you moving in the right direction?

Chris

#63600 Shield Compatibility Specs

Posted by Chris Walker on 21 July 2015 - 11:44 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Hi Bernie,

The main things you'll want to verify, for compatibility:
1. Does the accessory work with 3.3V logic signals?
2. Does the accessory require special Arduino drivers? Or does it use basic I2C, SPI, UART logic that can be used from (directly, or via a custom driver) C#?
3. How much current does the accessory require?

Netduino has been designed for best-in-class hardware compatibility with Arduino shields. There are even some Arduino shields which work with Netduino but don't work with Arduino's newer Due boards. In the end it's usually a concern of software support (although there are a few cases where the hardware isn't compatible).

Chris

#63599 System.NotSupportedException

Posted by Chris Walker on 21 July 2015 - 09:46 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Hi cSharper,

Do you get this exception when you create a simple "add number in a loop and debug.print the value" type of hello world app?

Also...what board are you using, which version of firmware, and which version of the SDK?

Welcome to the Netduino community!

Chris

#63597 Netduino 3 WIFI project templates

Posted by Chris Walker on 21 July 2015 - 04:28 PM in Netduino 3

Hi Lou,

The Netduino SDK has a fancy new "Netduino Application (Universal)" template. It works on any gen2 or gen3 board.

Even better...generally speaking, Your existing Netduino Plus 2 project can simply be redeployed to the new Netduino 3 Wi-Fi hardware. :)

Chris

#63589 Help on Netduino 2 Serial Communication to PC

Posted by Chris Walker on 21 July 2015 - 05:10 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Hi yxhu,

First steps to debug:
1. What serial cable are you using from your PC? Is it a 5V or 3.3V TTL (not RS-232 cable)? Netduino's serial signals are 3.3V (with 5V tolerance) -- so RS-232 levels (-15V to 15V) are not safe and won't give you good data.
2. Have you tried 115,200 bps or 57,600 bps, as a test?
3. Have you connected GND between your Netduino and your PC's serial cable? If you have your Netduino plugged into your PC this may be redundant (since your USB cable is already carrying the ground signal) but it is best practice--and it is required if the two devices are not already sharing a ground reference/connection.

Chris

#63550 SPI Performance issues

Posted by Chris Walker on 16 July 2015 - 02:37 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Hi Sukasa,

What speed is the processor on your board? The SPI clock speed is a "/2, /4, /8, /16, /32" (i.e. /(2^x)) clock speed...so unless you're running at 80MHz or 160MHz you'll get a lower speed than 10mbps. [somewhere between 5mbps and 10mbps).

Each transaction should happen at the speed specified by that device's SPI Config.

Do you have a logic analyzer that you can use to see the wire traffic?

Chris

#63545 Project Boxes for Netduino?

Posted by Chris Walker on 15 July 2015 - 06:38 PM in General Discussion

Just FYI, one of our community members put together duinocases. The ones I saw looked like they were good quality cases.
http://www.duinocases.com/

And if you have access to a 3D printer, there's always thingaverse...
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:48939

If you're using a metal case with Netduino and Wi-Fi, just make sure that the antenna portion of the board sticks _out_ of the case. Metal cages and antennas disagree.

Chris

#63544 Netduino Plus 2 now working under Arduino IDE

Posted by Chris Walker on 15 July 2015 - 06:01 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Cool, Martin. I really enjoy reading about the cool things people are hacking their Netduinos to do... I'd love to read more, so please share if you have the chance.

Chris

#63543 TLS Crypto algorithm support questions

Posted by Chris Walker on 15 July 2015 - 05:43 PM in Netduino 3

Hey KiwiDev,

Interesting. It's possible that the CC3100 disables obsolete crypto methods by default. There are quite a few crypto options and modes that can be optionally enabled/disabled...so this may be a case where we can expose an API to do so from managed code.

This is an SNI SSL website?

Quite a few folks use Netduino 3 Wi-Fi with Azure regularly (including yourself) so we know things work well there...but it is possible that Microsoft uses different security configs in different parts of the system.

Quick question: would you have time to load debug firmware and step into System.Net.Security, to pull the actual SocketException ErrorCode (or SSL error message)?

SSL/TLS is a big beast with lots of complications--but we chose defaults on Netduino 3 that should make it super-easy to use in most circumstances (similar to navigating to a secure site through a browser). Let's figure out what's up and try to do the same for this site.

Chris

#63542 Network stops working on the hour or one minute after

Posted by Chris Walker on 15 July 2015 - 05:31 PM in Netduino.IP Technical Preview

however my main switch is a managed switch and has a feature that lets me put one of the ports into 'promiscuous mode' so I can monitor all the traffic going through it.

Perfect. Let's get you a copy of Wireshark and see what's actually happening on the wire.

Also...if you can simplify your code down to a few dozen lines of code that all run on one thread (if it's not already that small), that will be really useful for reproducing the issue.

Chris

#63541 Network stops working on the hour or one minute after

Posted by Chris Walker on 15 July 2015 - 05:30 PM in Netduino.IP Technical Preview

Hey Tim,

It uses Thread.Sleep in the broadcast loop

The broadcast loop is on its own thread, right? Not blocking a managed event from finishing its processing?

I have Microsoft's Network Monitor which is a lot like WireShark. I'm not sure how I can capture traffic from the Netduino to the router though, as it all goes through a switch. I would see the broadcasts of course, but I suspect none of the 'direct' traffic. I'll investigate whether there is something I can do with SysLog on the router.

You'll want Wireshark. It's awesome. And then in the toolbar, add the filter "eth.dst == 5c:86:4a:xx:xx:xx || eth.src == 5c:86:4a:xx:xx:xx" where xx:xx:xx is the rest of the MAC address on your Netduino. If you want to see broadcast traffic too, add "|| eth.dst == ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff".

One question. Would socket.Accept() ever time out and return without there being an incoming connection?

I don't believe that socket.Accept() should timeout unless the socket is closed/disposed. But if you're seeing different behavior (and it's inconsistent with the desktop implementation) we can tweak the behavior to match expectations.

P.S. I'd be happy to share the code if you think it will help.

Let's see if we can provide enough info that you can track down the issue on your side...and if we run into a brick wall this might be a good option for deep debug. Let's try to get it to fail quicker (or 100% consistently) first though...unfortunately intermittent non-reproducible issues can't get quick resolutions. [It sounds like this is reproducible though...which is great!]

Thanks Tim!

Chris

#63539 Hey Chris, I sent you a PM about a week ago...

Posted by Chris Walker on 15 July 2015 - 04:27 PM in General Discussion

Hey gismo,

I got your PM, and we're investigating. I2C enhancements will probably need to be a NETMF 4.4 work item, coinciding with a big shuffling of code there. I will shoot you a PM response as well.

Chris

#63531 Netduino Plus 2 now working under Arduino IDE

Posted by Chris Walker on 15 July 2015 - 03:41 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

We love open source and hacking. Cool.

What kinds of projects are you building with the Arduino IDE and Netduino?

Chris

#63530 Netduino.IP in use

Posted by Chris Walker on 15 July 2015 - 01:03 AM in Netduino.IP Technical Preview

I spoke too soon. The freeze is still happening. I have collected some data and I am posting into a new thread. I would appreciate your thoughts, Chris.

And...responded (on the other thread). Thanks for all the data!

Chris

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.