Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.

Chris Walker's Content

There have been 606 items by Chris Walker (Search limited from 28-April 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#64070 Dinosaur Prop

Posted by Chris Walker on 09 September 2015 - 11:56 PM in General Discussion

Hey Giuliano,

Please share videos and photos if you can. This sounds awesome :)

Chris

#64069 Stops writing to database

Posted by Chris Walker on 09 September 2015 - 11:54 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Hey alharlow,

Nevyn's tip on blinking the blue LED (on a timer) is what I'd do, to start...

Also: are you using Netduino.IP or the traditional lwIP networking stack?

Chris

#64068 Problem reactivating my N2P

Posted by Chris Walker on 09 September 2015 - 11:52 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Hi Wernfried,

Do you have another MicroUSB cable that you can test?

Also...when the debugger/driver disconnects, is your app still running on the board? [Blinking an LED or something to let you know that it's alive?]

Chris

#63973 SPLIT: Transitioned from Windows to Linux

Posted by Chris Walker on 25 August 2015 - 04:05 AM in Mono

Hi Charles,

I have been away for quite a long time... And I came across my Netduino Plus yesterday and I'm thinking about getting back into it.

Since I last programmed with C#, I have transitioned from Windows to Linux and really loathe the idea of going back. What is the status on this project?

Early support for Netduino using Xamarin Studio on Mac is up and running today, if you want to play. It's technically Alpha--but it works end-to-end including the debugger.

Chris

#63881 SSL Authentication issues

Posted by Chris Walker on 14 August 2015 - 07:01 PM in Netduino 3

Hi dbelcham,

What version of firmware are you running? Can you upgrade to the latest firmware really quickly (if you're no already on it), which should give you a more specific Exception? And also, importantly, a socket exception error code.

If you're already on the latest firmware (posted sticky at the top of the Netduino 3 forum and posted on the download page)...can you provide an exact code sample (<=10 lines of code is best, but a few more are fine) that we can test out locally?

Thank you, and welcome to the Netduino community.

Chris

#63866 No WiFi signal

Posted by Chris Walker on 12 August 2015 - 10:14 PM in Netduino 3

Hi hrh1818,

From your screenshot... Is that your SSID and passphrase? [If you change those to your SSID/passphrase, you should be good to go.]

Please note that the Wi-Fi chip will _not_ turn on unless an app is loaded on your board. Is there a NETMF app running your board?

Chris

#63857 How to determine the IP address assigned by DHCP

Posted by Chris Walker on 11 August 2015 - 06:38 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Hi clefranc,

The NETMF debug tools don't expose your board's IP address through any GUIs, Visual Studio, etc. But...

If you use Debug.Print to output the current IP address, you can display it in MFDeploy's "debug output" feed.

Microsoft.SPOT.Net.NetworkInformation.NetworkInterface.GetAllNetworkInterfaces()[0].IPAddress
Does that get you the info you need?

Chris

#63856 Introducing Netduino 3 Ethernet

Posted by Chris Walker on 11 August 2015 - 05:33 AM in Netduino 3

Hi pdii,

Does the Netduino 3 Ethernet support SSL like the Netduino 3 Wifi?

Netduino Plus 2 and Netduino 3 Ethernet support sockets, HTTP, etc. -- but no SSL at this time.

Netduino 3 Wi-Fi features SSL/TLS support, hooked into the Wi-Fi chip's crypto.

Netduino 3 Ethernet does have enough flash and RAM to fit a _small_ SSL stack...if a few folks from the community would like to collaborate on integrating Netduino.IP with mBed.TLS (formerly PolarSSL), we could add official Apache-open-source-licensed SSL support to Netduino 3 Ethernet as well.

Chris

#63852 Deep dive on Asix AX88796C (Netduino 3 Ethernet's fancy new networking chip)

Posted by Chris Walker on 10 August 2015 - 10:52 PM in Netduino 3

I have uninstalled and re-installed netmf-v4.3.2-sdk-QFE2-RTM, and the R2-Beta and none of them install the sampl

Aargh. Not sure why the samples aren't included in the latest NETMF SDK releases.

Here's a link to the source. If you pull the projects you will need to pull in the source manually (or tweak the project files) because the project file paths refer to Platform Kit environment variables (SPOCLIENT, etc.)
http://netmf.codeple...roduct/Samples/

Chris

#63843 Gobus and Grove compatibility?

Posted by Chris Walker on 10 August 2015 - 08:06 PM in Netduino 3

Hi hrh1818,

No, Grove modules are different. That said, you have a few options.

#1: if you are an advanced hacker, and you can find one of these, you can access the GoBus pins directly (via (Cpu.Pin)0x##, etc.) to get to the Grove pins--assuming the Grove modules have their pins mapped to the desired places.
http://www.seeedstud...ble-p-1084.html

#2: this could work too, for mapping Grove pins to the Arduino shield-style pins on Netduino:
http://www.seeedstud...e_-_Base_Shield

Chris

#63842 No WiFi signal

Posted by Chris Walker on 10 August 2015 - 07:49 PM in Netduino 3

Hi hrh1818,

Just open up MFDeploy, switch the deployment method to USB, and then change your Netduino 3 Wi-Fi's network settings (to match your AP). You can find this option in Target > Configuration > Network Configuration.

Beyond that, make sure that you have an app deployed to your Netduino (even a simple blinky app). With power management, the network chip starts up when your app starts up...so you won't see any Wi-Fi activity if there isn't an app installed.

Welcome to the Netduino community,

Chris

#63841 Best practices: how to wait for a Wi-Fi network connection

Posted by Chris Walker on 10 August 2015 - 05:57 PM in Netduino 3

Hi Terrence,

Microsoft.SPOT.Net.NetworkInformation
and
System.Net.NetworkInformation

1. why are you using both?

We're trying to move away from the old Microsoft.SPOT classes, so the new features are going into the traditional .NET namespace for compatibility with other .NET-based code.

2 My System.Net does not have .NetworkInformation. What dll is it in?

Oh yes... This is in the NetduinoExtensions.dll assembly. Add it to your project and then add "using NetduinoExtensions" up top if necessary--and you should see the additional classes.

Please note that the System.Net NetworkInterface code only applies to checking link status on Netduino 3 Wi-Fi _with_ static IP configuration. With DHCP...you can just wait until you get an address.

Chris

#63840 Best practices: how to wait for a Wi-Fi network connection

Posted by Chris Walker on 10 August 2015 - 05:55 PM in Netduino 3

Hi Koen,

This line keeps being 'True': IPAddress.GetDefaultLocalAddress() == IPAddress.Any
And so, it doesn't pass the while loop. And I figure it's also the reason why in the version with the events, the events never occur.

Hmm. Let's see if we can get you up and running here really quick.

Do you have MAC address filtering set up in your Wi-Fi router by any chance?

Does your router have a browser-based admin panel, where you can check to see if your board is getting authenticated (and what IP address it's getting)?

Chris

#63839 Deep dive on Asix AX88796C (Netduino 3 Ethernet's fancy new networking chip)

Posted by Chris Walker on 10 August 2015 - 05:53 PM in Netduino 3

Is there sample code out there that shows how to post data to a webapi using ND3 Ethernet? I would like to start off fresh and use come code that you experts have approved. I am sure my old code is riddled with inefficiencies.

If you want to use the rich HttpWebRequest class, this should be a reasonable primer:
https://msdn.microso...(v=vs.110).aspx

You might also try out raw TCP sockets for a more memory-efficient solution... Check out the NETMF SDK's SocketClient sample.

Does that get you on the right path?

Chris

#63838 Deep dive on Asix AX88796C (Netduino 3 Ethernet's fancy new networking chip)

Posted by Chris Walker on 10 August 2015 - 05:51 PM in Netduino 3

Hi xc2rx,

Thanks for the detail description of the new Netduino 3 ethernet chip. I like descriptive post like this one, keep it coming. I will play with the Ethernet version once I'm through with the Wifi version. BTW, haven't looked at the datasheet of the Ethernet ASIX, can it achieve true 100Mbps throughput (or close to it) at the C driver level? What's the maximum SPI speed? I know all these answers are in the datasheet but I'm short on time so haven't had a chance to read through it.

While the network chip supports 100mbps links, the SPI bus interface is hardware-limited to tens of mbps. This is plenty for most embedded scenarios. For applications where a full 100mbps is required, you're probably going to want to look at a PC-class microprocessor solution.

chris

#63837 Deploy over TCP

Posted by Chris Walker on 10 August 2015 - 05:48 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Hi bgreer5050,

For remote deployment though: you could send an assembly to your Netduino over the network, save it to an SD card, and then dynamically load it into an appdomain.

There is no debug channel supported over TCP.

Chris

#63824 Netduino Application (Universal) Template: Shows up in VS2013 Express but no...

Posted by Chris Walker on 08 August 2015 - 07:36 AM in Visual Studio

Hi TechnoGuy,

What happens if you run a repair (through Control Panel > Programs and Features) on the Netduino SDK?

Chris

#63818 A few questions about the Netduino 3 Wifi

Posted by Chris Walker on 07 August 2015 - 07:30 PM in Netduino 3

Hi Nerdiator,

1. Is it possible to do P2P communication using Wifi? I'd like to send commands directly to it with my phone.

There is no Wi-Fi P2P setup in NETMF, although you could hack the Netduino firmware to accomplish this if you wanted to. You can also tether the Netduino to your phone via Wi-Fi...which might give you the ability to communicate directly.

2. How do I make it connect to my Wifi network at home (WPA and AES). I tried using MFDeploy but for some reason it cannot get a correct IP address. I think there must be something wrong with my settings. I chose WPA and PEAP (Im not sure about that one).

MFDeploy is a bit confusing; sorry about that. Enter your WPA key and set the settings to "WPA" and "None". Make sure that DHCP is selected. If that doesn't work, let's log into your router and see if it's trying to give your board an address.

3. Is there a site where I can find a bunch of samples? I looked a bit on the forum but I couldn't find any specifically for the 3 Wifi version.

The good news here is that Netduino 3 Wi-Fi uses the standard System.Net Sockets, HttpWebRequest, SslStream, etc. So pretty much any Netduino Plus or Netduino Plus 2 project should just run as-is...and you can borrow from a lot of other .NET code too.

Welcome to the Netduino community!

Chris

#63815 USB-Serial Module

Posted by Chris Walker on 07 August 2015 - 05:58 PM in Netduino 3

Hi Hawkez,

I was trying to open a GoBus COM port as you mentioned here.  Is there some trick to using these COM ports on the GoBus?  I saw that there is a TX pull-up pin coming from the micro for each of the COM ports on GoBus sockets on the Netduino 3 (pin 43 for COM7).  Does that pin need to be configured as an output and set to true?  If so, how do I get to that pin in code?

No need to mess with the pull-up pin. If you open COM5 (port 1), COM6 (port 2) or COM7 (port 3) on a Netduino 3 board running the current firmware, you'll get a 3.3V UART connection over those pins. Just be sure to wire up TX, RX and GND to the target (crossing over TX and RX). Also please note that this is an advanced hack that may not work in the future.

We've actually used one of the Gadgeteer USB-Serial modules before (the black ones, NOT the red ones) to hook up a quick and dirty serial port to a PC.

Chris

#63810 Introducing Netduino 3 Ethernet

Posted by Chris Walker on 07 August 2015 - 07:01 AM in Netduino 3

Hi JoopC,

Shipping...oh how I wish it were free everywhere :(

Does Watterott Electronic deliver to the Netherlands?
http://www.watterott...uino-3-Ethernet

Adafruit and others should have the new boards in stock shortly as well.

Chris

#63807 reg. Visual studio 2010

Posted by Chris Walker on 07 August 2015 - 02:51 AM in General Discussion

What's the difference between 'firmware' and the NETMF ?

NETMF is the runtime inside the firmware. Netduino 4.2.x firmware uses NETMF 4.2, Netduino 4.3.x firmware uses NETMF 4.3, etc.

Chris

#63802 reg. Visual studio 2010

Posted by Chris Walker on 06 August 2015 - 09:24 PM in General Discussion

Hi Nithin,

You can probably use VS2010 for the 4.2 firmware on the Netduino gen1/gen2 gear.

But for Netduino 3 you will need VS2013 or newer. There is a free version available for download, linked on the Downloads page.

Chris

#63800 Deep dive on Asix AX88796C (Netduino 3 Ethernet's fancy new networking chip)

Posted by Chris Walker on 06 August 2015 - 07:58 PM in Netduino 3

Netduino Plus 2 used Microchip's ENC28J60 SPI-based MAC/PHY chip for networking support. This chip is widely used but, well, it's old. It only supports 10mbps. And it isn't designed for today's power-efficient designs.

So when we were designing Netduino 3 Ethernet, we cleared off the drawing board and went searching for the ultimate SPI-based networking chip.

We found the Asix AX88796C. It's low-power. It's feature-rich. And it's really awesome.

Here is a link for more info:
http://www.asix.com....temID=104;65;86

Here are just a few of the great new features of the Asix chip:
* 10/100 mbps :)
* Larger on-chip SRAM buffers
* Designed for both IPv4 and IPv6.
* Offloads IPv4 and IPv6 checksums to hardware.
* Supports twister-pair crossover detection and auto-correction.
* Dynamic power management, reducing power consumption when the cable is disconnected, the network is idle, etc.

For those of you who want to do cool hacks, you can tweak Netduino.IP to do even more with this chip:
* Supports VLANs (not used in Netduino.IP -- but could be added for custom commercial applications)
* Supports ARP protocol offload, wake-on-LAN, etc.
* DMA support, and more.

And if you're building custom Netduino-derived boards for industrial applications, Asix even makes a special industrial temperature (-40 C to 85 C) version of the chip.

Of course we have built a fully managed-code driver for the AX88796C chip (which is running with Netduino.IP on every Netduino 3 Ethernet mainboard).

C# driver source, for the curious (and for advanced hacks):
https://github.com/n...Layers.AX88796C

In summary: ENC28J60 was good for networking, but AX88796C is great. We now have a PC-class (but micro-optimized) networking chip for NETMF applications. The future is here.

Chris

#63799 Introducing Netduino 3

Posted by Chris Walker on 06 August 2015 - 07:34 PM in Netduino 3

Dear Friends,

Some community members build awesome IoT projects with Netduino.

But for many of us, we just want to build cool stuff using a non-networked Netduino mainboard.

So while designing Netduino gen3, we designed a brand new board for non-IoT projects as well.

Introducing Netduino 3, a major upgrade to Netduino 2.
Netduino 3 Specs
Where to Buy (resellers)

Here are a few highlights of what is new and improved with Netduino 3:
  • Micro: STM32F427VG
    1MB flash (twice the code space as N2)
    256KB RAM including 64KB core-coupled RAM (128KB more RAM than N2)
  • Three GoBus 2.0 ports (for plug and play components)
  • Support for even more Arduino shields (with ICSP header pads)
  • New miniature shield-friendly pushbutton
  • Brand new power subsystem and power management
  • Over half of all components are new. Too much to cover here.
Of course Netduino 3 is firmware upgradable and will gain even more rich functionality over time.

Netduino 3, Netduino 3 Ethernet, and Netduino 3 Wi-Fi: the future of Netduino is here.

I can't wait to see what cool things you build with this new gear!

Chris

Attached Thumbnails

• netduino3.jpg

#63798 Introducing Netduino 3 Ethernet

Posted by Chris Walker on 06 August 2015 - 07:27 PM in Netduino 3

Dear Friends,

Netduino Plus 2 is a great board. But we can do even better :)

Introducing Netduino 3 Ethernet, a major upgrade to Netduino Plus 2.
Netduino 3 Ethernet Specs
Where to Buy (resellers)

Here are a few highlights of what is new and improved with Netduino 3 Ethernet:
  • Micro: STM32F427VI Rev 3
    2MB dual-bank flash (twice as much as NP2)
    256KB RAM including 64KB core-coupled RAM (33% more than NP2)
  • Ethernet: 10/100 mbps chip, featuring the awesome Asix AX88796CLF MAC/PHY chip.
  • Three GoBus 2.0 ports (for plug and play components)
  • Support for even more Arduino shields (with ICSP header pads)
  • New miniature shield-friendly pushbutton
  • Brand new power subsystem and power management
  • Over half of all components are new. Too much to cover here.
For networking, Netduino 3 Ethernet sheds the lwIP networking stack and features the shiny new Netduino.IP stack out of the box (fully integrated into the CLR). Just write regular NETMF code using System.Net.Socket, HttpWebRequest, etc.

Of course Netduino 3 Ethernet is firmware upgradable and will gain even more rich functionality over time.

Netduino 3, Netduino 3 Ethernet, and Netduino 3 Wi-Fi: the future of Netduino is here.

I can't wait to see what cool things you build with this new gear!

Chris

Attached Thumbnails

• netduino3ethernet.jpg

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.