Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

A few questions about the Netduino 3 Wifi

Best Answer Chris Walker, 07 August 2015 - 07:30 PM

Hi Nerdiator,

1. Is it possible to do P2P communication using Wifi? I'd like to send commands directly to it with my phone.

There is no Wi-Fi P2P setup in NETMF, although you could hack the Netduino firmware to accomplish this if you wanted to. You can also tether the Netduino to your phone via Wi-Fi...which might give you the ability to communicate directly.

2. How do I make it connect to my Wifi network at home (WPA and AES). I tried using MFDeploy but for some reason it cannot get a correct IP address. I think there must be something wrong with my settings. I chose WPA and PEAP (Im not sure about that one).

MFDeploy is a bit confusing; sorry about that. Enter your WPA key and set the settings to "WPA" and "None". Make sure that DHCP is selected. If that doesn't work, let's log into your router and see if it's trying to give your board an address.

3. Is there a site where I can find a bunch of samples? I looked a bit on the forum but I couldn't find any specifically for the 3 Wifi version.

The good news here is that Netduino 3 Wi-Fi uses the standard System.Net Sockets, HttpWebRequest, SslStream, etc. So pretty much any Netduino Plus or Netduino Plus 2 project should just run as-is...and you can borrow from a lot of other .NET code too.

Welcome to the Netduino community!

Chris Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Nerdiator

Nerdiator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 07:14 PM

Hello, I recently bought the Netduino 3 Wifi and I have a few questions about it. This is my first Netduino device so please excuse me if my questions sound a bit noobish.

1. Is it possible to do P2P communication using Wifi? I'd like to send commands directly to it with my phone.

2. How do I make it connect to my Wifi network at home (WPA and AES). I tried using MFDeploy but for some reason it cannot get a correct IP address. I think there must be something wrong with my settings. I chose WPA and PEAP (Im not sure about that one).

3. Is there a site where I can find a bunch of samples? I looked a bit on the forum but I couldn't find any specifically for the 3 Wifi version.

#2 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 07 August 2015 - 07:30 PM   Best Answer

Hi Nerdiator,

There is no Wi-Fi P2P setup in NETMF, although you could hack the Netduino firmware to accomplish this if you wanted to. You can also tether the Netduino to your phone via Wi-Fi...which might give you the ability to communicate directly.

MFDeploy is a bit confusing; sorry about that. Enter your WPA key and set the settings to "WPA" and "None". Make sure that DHCP is selected. If that doesn't work, let's log into your router and see if it's trying to give your board an address.

The good news here is that Netduino 3 Wi-Fi uses the standard System.Net Sockets, HttpWebRequest, SslStream, etc. So pretty much any Netduino Plus or Netduino Plus 2 project should just run as-is...and you can borrow from a lot of other .NET code too.

Welcome to the Netduino community!

Chris

#3 David Weaver

David Weaver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationBloomington IL

Posted 08 August 2015 - 03:25 PM

Chris,

I think the new Netduino 3 WiFi is a great improvement to the Netduino. I have seen a configuation tool on the app store for the TI 3000. Can the app be used to configure the WiFi setting on the new board?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.