Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Power supply specifies minimum output voltage?

power supply

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Verdris

Verdris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationReno, NV

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:56 PM

I've got a Rosewill PS and the datasheet specifies that the 3.3V bus has a minimum output current of 1A. I've never seen a minimum current output specified before. Does this mean that the PS will push a minimum of 1A, regardless of the current needed by the load?

#2 CW2

CW2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1592 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:30 PM

The current cannot be 'pushed', it is drawn; the minimum output current determines working conditions of the [switched-mode] power supply - it requires certain load to operate properly. It will probably work with smaller output current, but it can be unstable or over the defined tolerance.

#3 hanzibal

hanzibal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1287 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:16 AM

1A minimum is really quite a lot, so much for current limiting ;-) Can that really be correct, one amp? I would hesitate using it for small signal electronics like with your typical Netduino project. When all works as intended in your project, there's no problem but if (when) you make a mistake like overloading or shortcircuiting, parts will burn to a crisp or literally blow up. Capacitors and LEDs can be harmful, shoooting debree in your eyes. Mine is also a switcher but minimum current is low, like only a few milli amps. It also has a minimum voltage of 1V but that hasn't been giving me any problems (yet).

#4 NooM

NooM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:25 AM

maybe Verdris wanna lik the product.

ive never saw anything with minimal amp requipment, maybe it means the

supply will at least be able to output 1 amp.

my power supply has 7 amps max, all fine with netduino.

http://at.mouser.com...ualkey967-LS355

its very small also - but can be dangerous when not handled correctly.

btw: i only know that some step up regulators may need an consumer to not blow up, becouse of the voltage sensing.

(the lm from ebay work fine, even when nothing is connected)

#5 Paul Newton

Paul Newton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationBerkshire, UK

Posted 06 June 2013 - 05:31 PM

Can you post a link to the datasheet, or give the part number. (I tried searching for Rosewill, there are a lot of them.) Paul

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: power supply

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.