Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

USB power vs. input power

input power power supply voltage

Best Answer CW2, 09 September 2014 - 11:18 AM

If I use an external power supply with 5V and connect it through the Micro USB port, will it provide sufficient power to the netduino including all pins (PWM, ...)?

Yes.

I can't find any available industrial power supplies with 7.5 - 9V

You don't need an industrial grade power supply, a wall adapter is sufficient.

I guess I can't use 5V input on the power socket?

No, the onboard linear regulator requires at least ~6.5 V input.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 skyjam

skyjam

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 08:03 AM

Hi forum members,

To consider an appropriate power supply for my Netduino Plus 2, what is suggested?

• Power using the Micro USB connector (5V), or
  • Power using the discrete power socket for 7.5-9V

If I use an external power supply with 5V and connect it through the Micro USB port, will it provide sufficient power to the netduino including all pins (PWM, ...)?

(I can't find any available industrial power supplies with 7.5 - 9V, so I'm thinking of using 5V instead).

(I guess I can't use 5V input on the power socket?)

Thanks for your advice!

#2 CW2

CW2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1592 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 09 September 2014 - 11:18 AM   Best Answer

Yes.

I can't find any available industrial power supplies with 7.5 - 9V

You don't need an industrial grade power supply, a wall adapter is sufficient.

I guess I can't use 5V input on the power socket?

No, the onboard linear regulator requires at least ~6.5 V input.

#3 skyjam

skyjam

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 12:16 PM

Thank you, CW2

I don't want to use a standard wall adapter, as my Netduino will go to a production environment. I can't rely on cheap China crap...

#4 Spiked

Spiked

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 12:28 PM

Putting a Netduino into production and calling wall warts cheap china crap is pretty much an as far from a success story as you can get. Good luck. Where do you think all the parts on your Netduino are made?

#5 skyjam

skyjam

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 01:02 PM

Putting a Netduino into production and calling wall warts cheap china crap is pretty much an as far from a success story as you can get. Good luck. Where do you think all the parts on your Netduino are made?

Main problem with wall chargers is heat. Tiny cases also keep the heat inside. So i prefer a dedicated power supply that will last.

I understand that most electronic parts originate from China (including the Netduino). It's not allover a quality issue, but in my experience wall chargers will not last too long for 24/7. That's what I call "China crap".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.