Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

New: Netduino 4.3 SDK and VS2012 support!

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#21 upstream

upstream

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationBrasil

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:38 PM

Never mind... I got .NET Micro Framework 4.2 back in Target Framework drop down list by running 'repair' from windows installed programs. 

Some detail: All folders in 'Program files (x86)/Microsoft .NET Micro Framework/v4.2' were empty. I think I messed up the installation sequence installing NETMF4.3 over NETMF4.2 and than romoving NETMF4.2.

"- Somewhere there's a bug to fix..."

#22 dhpetersen

dhpetersen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:26 PM

Netduino Plus 1 - Are there any prospects of when it will be ready?

/Dwayne

#23 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 30 March 2013 - 04:15 PM

Hi upstream,

I upgraded to VS2012 and 4.3 framework following instructions from here and now I can get 4.2 framework listed on project properties -> Target framework. It only shows only frameworks 3.0, 4.0, 4.1, 4.3 ! Any idea how to fix it?

Wow, that's really odd. My first recommendation is to uninstall the NETMF 4.3 SDK and Netduino 4.3 SDK...and then re-install. If that doesn't work, we can put a trouble ticket in with Microsoft (i.e. "issue" on netmf.codeplex.com). The other potential quick fixes here are to upgrade the board to 4.3...or go back to the NETMF 4.2 SDK and VS2010/VS2010_Express for the moment. Chris

#24 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 30 March 2013 - 04:17 PM

Never mind... I got .NET Micro Framework 4.2 back in Target Framework drop down list by running 'repair' from windows installed programs.

Okay, awesome. Please ignore my previous response :) I didn't see that there was a page 2 of this thread. Chris

#25 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 30 March 2013 - 04:19 PM

Hi Dwayne,

Netduino Plus 1 - Are there any prospects of when it will be ready?

We're currently in a holding pattern, waiting for NETMF 4.3 QFE1. If it takes too long--we may just go ahead and release a limited beta (with less flash/ram available for code). But at the moment, we've been in communication with Microsoft and their team is working on fixing a few bugs in the 4.3 core. I know that open-ended dates are no fun. In the meantime the NETMF 4.3 source is there if you want to hack and play. I'm looking forward to 4.3 for all boards if we can make it happen (which I think we can). Chris

#26 Symbiatch

Symbiatch

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:05 AM

Any updates on the 4.3 firmware? Should we still wait or is it already usable?

#27 khmesmer

khmesmer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:25 AM

Finally had a chance to try the 4.3 Update. Life issues got in the way. Chris and Gutworks thanks for getting back to me in February btw. Sorry I couldn't read it at the time as family issues cropped up and had to be tended to.

I set it up with Visual Studio Express C# 2012. The update worked and I was able to program the board. I initially had issues but after a firmware update to 4.2.2 it's working fine. Nice work Secret Labs. I can't wait for the full 4.3 update with the firmware. Unless the Netduino Go has been updated already and I am just catching up?

#28 DavidDeSloovere

DavidDeSloovere

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:15 AM

I believe the downloads page (http://netduino.com/downloads/) still needs to be updated.

#29 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:35 AM

The 4.3 firmware is still technically beta. We're working with Microsoft on a QFE1 for .NET MF 4.3, so we can move it out of beta and into RTM. It seems to be pretty stable. We're just having troubles debugging on some computers and we need to get the new version of lwIP integrated in tiptop shape. Chris

#30 nicualex33

nicualex33

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:31 AM

I have a network issue with my netduino 2plus. after few hours of reading sensors and posting values to cosm and/or open . sen. se, my module will hang with no error message in the debugger. I hear quite a number of people are seeing similar problem. in my book, this is absolutely critical, as there is no way to catch this and recover. one forum member proposed a 10min "preventive" reboot. I don't find this feasible . I hope the new York tcp/IP stack will resolve the issue. meanwhile... IMHO, for any unassisted device running 24/7, a real watchdog (HW timer/reset) is essential. granted, this is just a workaround and not a solution, but in my experience it is vital for the success of any project... particularly the connected ones. I, for one, will really appreciate the inclusion of this in the upcoming release. cheers, Alex

#31 JJJ

JJJ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 24 May 2013 - 12:35 PM

I have a network issue with my netduino 2plus. after few hours of reading sensors and posting values to cosm and/or open . sen. se, my module will hang with no error message in the debugger. I hear quite a number of people are seeing similar problem. in my book, this is absolutely critical, as there is no way to catch this and recover. one forum member proposed a 10min "preventive" reboot. I don't find this feasible . I hope the new York tcp/IP stack will resolve the issue. meanwhile... IMHO, for any unassisted device running 24/7, a real watchdog (HW timer/reset) is essential. granted, this is just a workaround and not a solution, but in my experience it is vital for the success of any project... particularly the connected ones. I, for one, will really appreciate the inclusion of this in the upcoming release. cheers, Alex

I absolute agree.

I have the same problem (NP+2, 4.2), and did not found a reliable solution yet.

It would be very nice if anybody have a working solution to post it as new pinned topic. Working networking is essential nowadays.

Gerardo

#32 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 25 May 2013 - 09:26 PM

Alex -- are you experiencing the issue with 4.2 or 4.3 beta? Which version of firmware? Does your app stop working--or just the networking? JJJ -- we are looking forward to .NET MF 4.3 QFE2, so we can get the new TCP/IP stack integrated. It is possible to attach an external watchdog chip, to drive the /RESET pin low if it hasn't been kicked in a while. We'd love to find the root of the issue you two are seeing--but that is an alternate quick fix of sorts if it helps out in the very short-term. Chris

#33 JJJ

JJJ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 26 May 2013 - 07:43 AM

Alex -- are you experiencing the issue with 4.2 or 4.3 beta? Which version of firmware? Does your app stop working--or just the networking? JJJ -- we are looking forward to .NET MF 4.3 QFE2, so we can get the new TCP/IP stack integrated. It is possible to attach an external watchdog chip, to drive the /RESET pin low if it hasn't been kicked in a while. We'd love to find the root of the issue you two are seeing--but that is an alternate quick fix of sorts if it helps out in the very short-term. Chris

Thank you Chris, you are always helpful. I'll wait your solution, because I'm sure you'll find one.

However my question is slightly different: as far as 4.3 is ready, does anybody (Secretlabs's men too), can share a piece of code with a reliable socket connection? I suppose there are many N+(1 or 2) in production all over the World, what kind of  trick connection they use? Do they (you) have the same our problem, or we are a little bit donkey ;-) ?

Thank you, as always

Gerardo

#34 nicualex33

nicualex33

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 01:42 AM

Chris , is with the latest 4.2.2.2 . I haven't tried the 4.3 as I read the IP stack is not yet updated. 

I'm running few threads in my app , one of which is sending data to Open.sen.se or Cosm ( once per minute , few packets only ).  In my latest test , it was ok for about 18 hours and then it stopped updating. I don't have a display on my device and it was not in debug mode , but I assume the other threads were running fine. One thread is just blinking an LED at a 3 seconds interval ... that thread was happily running , even after the network comm was down.

Unfortunately, adding an external reset chip is not an option for me. Will help as much as I can to identify the root cause . And i hope you'll consider adding support for the watchdog in the upcoming release, even if we solve the network issue. 

br, Alex

#35 GeBrander

GeBrander

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 05:26 PM

Any news on the timeline for the 4.3 firmware?

#36 CABrouwers

CABrouwers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 11:23 PM

Are you releasing the sources for the firmware as well any time soon ? I would like to test customizing the firmware but  I am using VS 2012 so I must work under NETMF 4.3.

#37 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:25 PM

Hi GeBrander,

Any news on the timeline for the 4.3 firmware?

We have the 4.3 firmware ready to go, but we need to compile it against the upcoming .NET MF 4.3 QFE1 release so we can use the newest lwIP networking release. We've been chatting with Microsoft about this regularly, and they're working on QFE1. QFEs usually follow the initial release by a few months; this one is taking a bit longer than the typical cycle. As soon as we have beta bits of the QFE1, we'll start testing it right away. If you are experiencing any non-networking issues with .NET MF 4.3 that need to be addressed in QFE1, please let us know about those too. Right now we have two issues (VS debug in the SDK and networking in the PK) which are being addressed. Thank you, Chris

#38 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:28 PM

Hi CABrouwers,

I would like to test customizing the firmware but  I am using VS 2012 so I must work under NETMF 4.3.

Are you using .NET MF 4.3 beta firmware with VS2012 because of an SDK interoperability issue with .NET MF 4.2 firmware? You should be able to use .NET MF 4.2 boards with VS2012--but I do know that there are some VS debug glitches in the latest NETMF SDK (which are being addressed in QFE1). Chris

#39 funk55

funk55

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:05 AM

Hello Chris,

I just bought an NP2 a few weeks ago. Everything's worked great, except while working through the first SD card exercise in the 'professionals guide to .net mf applications development' the sd card insert function comes out looking like this:

static void RemovableMedia_Insert(object sender, MediaEventArgs e)   {   throw new NotImplementedException();

}

I'm guessing that maybe this means no sd card support for the np2 when using express 2010 and the sdk versions in the download page. do i need to upgrade to get sd card support for the np2, or have i overlooked something?

#40 funk55

funk55

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:17 AM

Hello Chris,

I loaded every thing as instructed, and did not find any np2 c# templates, only vb templates. is this an expected result, or have i bungled the installation somehow? :wacko:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.