New: Netduino 4.3 SDK and VS2012 support! - Page 4 - General Discussion - Netduino Forums

Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

New: Netduino 4.3 SDK and VS2012 support!

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#61 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:38 PM

Hi JoopC,

unfortunatly it is not possible for me anymore to debug after deploying to the Netduino with my VS2012 prof. I have tried un-install of VS and drivers etc  more than one time. clean the register, nothing works. Only a blue led burns after deploying and the Netduino do nothing, I know for sure that it the driver is the issue.

With the 4.2 firmware, be sure to put the Netduino gen1 board into TinyBooter mode (by pressing and holding the pushbutton while powering up the board) to grab the HEX file. Otherwise the boot/USB configuration can get a bit confused on the board. In this situation, it's probably a bad config on the board that's causing the issue. Try erasing the Netduino gen1 board using the ERASE pad (connect a wire from 3.3V to the ERASE pad) and then reload the bootloader via Atmel SAM-BA. That should get you up and going. Chris

#62 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:44 PM

Hi Glen,

What are you hearing from Microsoft about the future of NETMF?  There is very little new on their sites in nearly a year and I have read comments that the project has been moved to China for maintenance only and not development.   I have 2 N+ and 2 N2+ and am working on a major, perhaps commercial project, but I don't want to get too far down the rabbit hole just to have it cave in.   Any insight that you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

We're in frequent communication with Microsoft engineers regarding .NET Micro Framework. With the recent re-orgs there have been some additional resources made available to support the platform--and we're pushing new boundaries putting .NET Micro Framework in a wide variety of wearable and Internet-connected devices. Right now the engineers laboring over .NET MF are working on the .NET MF 4.3 QFE1 update. We've been providing them repos for bugs and will be testing bugfixes from our side. They probably won't check in the release to CodePlex until it's done though. As far as commercial projects go, we're betting big on NETMF with AGENT. And with some other commercial projects for our corporate clients. With the dropping price of high-flash Cortex MCUs, the future has in many ways never been brighter for this platform once known as SPOT :) Chris

#63 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:55 PM

Hi CW2,  

Blog comment that is not very encouraging:

The .NET Micro Framework engineering team has historically been a few engineers in Redmond and a few around the world, working together. This last year, Microsoft has been busy reorganizing their teams to focus on devices and services, and they've been reassigning resources across the whole company. Additionally, engineers need to work on new projects from time to time. Fresh eyes and fresh energy are welcome things :) BTW, the previous NETMF program manager reached out to us early on during the transition and made sure we got to know the new people on the team in advance. There is a bit of transition time while new engineers get ramped up on projects so NETMF 4.3 QFE1 has taken a bit longer than we'd all have liked...but we're very excited for all the efforts and grateful for the support and enthusiasm from Microsoft. Chris

#64 neslekkim

neslekkim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:54 PM

Fresh eyes are fine, but you know that there are a lot of people already here that have done big things to the comunity...

--
Asbjørn

#65 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:58 PM

Fresh eyes are fine, but you know that there are a lot of people already here that have done big things to the comunity...

Absolutely :) Community members have made and continue to make huge contributions to NETMF. The fact that we can all collaborate on a microcontroller runtime like NETMF is pretty cool--and we're excited to celebrate and showcase contributions from the community. In the end, enabling and supporting the community is what Netduino is all about. Thanks for your enthusiasm and support, Chris

#66 neslekkim

neslekkim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:08 AM

Paint point #* http://wiki.netduino...to-GCC-4-6.ashx look at what he does, what can be done to make this easier?, this would enable everyone to contribute more efficiently As if I didn't ask for this two years ago..

--
Asbjørn

#67 Dr Who

Dr Who

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:42 PM

I'm happy to announce preliminary support for .NET Micro Framework 4.3.

This includes full support for Visual Studio 2012, both Express and Pro. The new SDK is backwards compatible with all Netduinos--including boards running older firmware.

Visual Studio 2012 support
NOTE: VS2012 requires Windows 7 or newer.

[*]If previously installed, uninstall any older versions of the .NET Micro Framework SDK
    [*]Install Visual Studio 2012 or Visual Studio Express 2012 for Windows Desktop
    [*]Install the .NET Micro Framework SDK v4.3
    [*]Install the Netduino SDK v4.3
    [/list]Netduino 4.3 firmware

[*]Netduino 2 Firmware (v4.3.0.0 beta 1)
      [*]Netduino Plus 2 Firmware (v4.3.0.0 beta 1)
      [*]Netduino Go Firmware v4.3.0.0 -- coming soon, see below
      [*]Netduino Mini Firmware v4.3.0.0 -- coming soon, see below
      [*]Netduino 1 and Netduino Plus 1 -- see below
      [/list]Upgrades for Netduino Go
      Netduino Go will be getting a few extra software upgrades to go along with .NET MF 4.3. We'll be running a special 4.3 beta program for Netduino Go users in the near future.

In the meantime the new SDK will work with Netduino Go boards running 4.2 firmware.

Upgrades for gen1 boards
      We hope to be able to upgrade all gen1 Netduinos to .NET Micro Framework 4.3. We currently have early firmware up and running on Netduino 1 and Netduino Plus 1, but it consumes a bit too much valuable flash/RAM.

We're working with Microsoft on a few updates to .NET MF 4.3 related to the newest lwIP networking stack. Once those updates are in place, we'll try to squeeze the NETMF 4.3 firmware down onto the gen1 boards. We hope and expect to be able to do so...but I can't commit anything until the revised firmware is tested and ready to go.

Netduino Mini should receive the update as well. We already have the firmware source ready for that...but there's some testing we need to do before making it official.

In the meantime the new 4.3 SDK works with gen1 boards running 4.2 or earlier firmware.

In Closing
      Enjoy the new firmware and VS2012 support! Please post any feedback here in this post.

Chris

Hello!

What finally happened concerning the Mini? Or even the regular Netduino model 1? I ask because its almost related to my current problem. That of facilitating communications between a RasPi device and a chosen Netduino. 

Especially since I still have .NET MF 4.2 installed here, and getting it and VS2010 to work with the example I chose isn't moving towards the exact same display that I get from VS2012 and ordinary .NET 4.0 in this case.

Doctor Who
"This signature does not exist!"

#68 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:24 PM

Hi Doctor Who, We'll be publishing 4.3 firmware for Netduino Mini as soon as 4.3 is out of beta (i.e. QFE1). We'll also look and see if we can fit 4.3 onto Netduino 1/Netduino Plus 1...but we won't know if it'll fit until 4.3 QFE1 is wrapped up. For Netduino Mini today...you should be able to use 4.1 or 4.2 on it with either VS2010 or VS2012. Chris

#69 Dr Who

Dr Who

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:53 AM

Hi Doctor Who, We'll be publishing 4.3 firmware for Netduino Mini as soon as 4.3 is out of beta (i.e. QFE1). We'll also look and see if we can fit 4.3 onto Netduino 1/Netduino Plus 1...but we won't know if it'll fit until 4.3 QFE1 is wrapped up. For Netduino Mini today...you should be able to use 4.1 or 4.2 on it with either VS2010 or VS2012. Chris

Hello!

I seem to be missing something someplace. How do I go about engaging the MF releases of Dot Net in VS2012? In VS2010 I can simply select the right template and I'm off and running. VS2012 seems to think I'm building things native, that is running here.

Oddly enough the stuff that was built to demonstrate things on the RasPi running now and on battery power, is native for the laptop and they are running.....

Doctor Who

#70 Dr Who

Dr Who

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:34 PM

Hi Doctor Who,

We'll be publishing 4.3 firmware for Netduino Mini as soon as 4.3 is out of beta (i.e. QFE1).

We'll also look and see if we can fit 4.3 onto Netduino 1/Netduino Plus 1...but we won't know if it'll fit until 4.3 QFE1 is wrapped up.

For Netduino Mini today...you should be able to use 4.1 or 4.2 on it with either VS2010 or VS2012.

Chris

Hello!

Chris this is a quote from one of the people on the Codeplex site who commented:

Note that the therm: "Support for Visual Studio 2012 (including the Windows desktop Express version)" now means that VS 2010 is no longer supported. 
[color=rgb(37,51,64);font-family:'Segoe UI', Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:13px;]by [/color]SuperMarcro[color=rgb(37,51,64);font-family:'Segoe UI', Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:13px;] on [/color]Dec 4, 2012 at 7:04 PM

It can be found on the bottom of http://netmf.codeple...ases/view/81000 and that quote puts paid to your comment that even with the 4.3 stuff installed I can use either. It seems VS2010 took itself out of the running.

Doctor Who

#71 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 29 November 2013 - 07:24 AM

Hi Dr Who,

Chris this is a quote from one of the people on the Codeplex site who commented: It can be found on the bottom of http://netmf.codeple...ases/view/81000 and that quote puts paid to your comment that even with the 4.3 stuff installed I can use either. It seems VS2010 took itself out of the running.

I think that what he's trying to say is that the NETMF 4.3 SDK installer is paired with VS2012 for Windows Desktop, so VS2012--and not VS2010--is supported with the newer SDK release. Chris

#72 dlkay0

dlkay0

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:53 PM

I was just on the MS site:

We are glad to announce today the RTM of the .NET Micro Framework version 4.3.  You can download the SDK and PK as well as the source from our Codeplex project, client_v4_3 branch, at change number 27523

Version 4.3 of the .NET Micro Framework Porting Kit provides the following new features:

• Support for Visual Studio 2012 (including the Windows Desktop Express version)
  • Improved diagnostic information for deployment
  • Decreased Boot Time
  • All v4.2 QFEs features (e.g. WinUSB) and bug fixes (PWM enhancements, lwIP and network driver reliability improvements, Analog Output, WinUSB and latest GCC support)

You can find white papers about NET MF on the documentationpage of the project.  You can find the general documentation on MSDN. The 4,3 documentation will be available shortly. PK documentation is in the distribution, under the documentation directory (you will find there also the full .chm help).

How long until we see RTM firmware for Netduino 2 & 2 Plus?

-DK

#73 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:52 AM

Hi DK,

How long until we see RTM firmware for Netduino 2 & 2 Plus?

We already have the RTM build ready for Netduino 2 and Netduino Plus 2. The Netduino 4.3 beta 1 firmware _is_ our RTM build--built against NETMF 4.3 RTM. That said...new releases of NETMF usually require a QFE or two (benefitting from wide testing of the initial release) so that everything gets stable and we can call our firmware "RTM". The NETMF 4.3 RTM firmware has a few bugs in it, the most critical one being a bug that breaks networking. The NETMF team is working on QFE1...and we'll be posting a "beta 2" release built against QFE1 shortly after they publish the QFE1 core. No specific dates--but we're excited for it, for sure. Chris

#74 Dr Who

Dr Who

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:45 AM

Hi Dr Who, I think that what he's trying to say is that the NETMF 4.3 SDK installer is paired with VS2012 for Windows Desktop, so VS2012--and not VS2010--is supported with the newer SDK release. Chris

Hello!

I agree. However..... My big problem is still the obvious. What is going on regarding releasing the particulars for the 4.3 product? Was it ever released? I already have most of the bits downloaded. But I did not see anything that matched your problem that you related on the Sunday last.

And what about the Mini? (See next post.)

Doctor Who

#75 Dr Who

Dr Who

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:50 AM

Hi DK, We already have the RTM build ready for Netduino 2 and Netduino Plus 2. The Netduino 4.3 beta 1 firmware _is_ our RTM build--built against NETMF 4.3 RTM. That said...new releases of NETMF usually require a QFE or two (benefitting from wide testing of the initial release) so that everything gets stable and we can call our firmware "RTM". The NETMF 4.3 RTM firmware has a few bugs in it, the most critical one being a bug that breaks networking. The NETMF team is working on QFE1...and we'll be posting a "beta 2" release built against QFE1 shortly after they publish the QFE1 core. No specific dates--but we're excited for it, for sure. Chris

Hello!

For me I don't run a networked device, so is it safe to go ahead and make use of the currently released materials? Also what about the Mini? Will we still have to wait until the QFE1 build is available for something to be constructed for that?

Doctor Who

#76 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 11 December 2013 - 08:24 AM

Hi Dr. Who, We'll have updated Netduino 2 and Netduino Plus 2 4.3 beta firmware once .NET MF 4.3 QFE1 is available. The current "beta 1" firmware is RTM, built against the .NET MF 4.3 RTM release. Recompiling against QFE1 should be pretty quick. We're going to investigate 4.3 firmware for Netduino gen1 (Netduino 1, Netduino Plus 1 and Netduino Mini) once we know that the gen2 firmware is stable. We're not sure if 4.3 is going to fit on gen1 boards (specifically Netduino Plus 1). Chris

#77 Dr Who

Dr Who

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 12 December 2013 - 06:58 PM

Hi Dr. Who, We'll have updated Netduino 2 and Netduino Plus 2 4.3 beta firmware once .NET MF 4.3 QFE1 is available. The current "beta 1" firmware is RTM, built against the .NET MF 4.3 RTM release. Recompiling against QFE1 should be pretty quick. We're going to investigate 4.3 firmware for Netduino gen1 (Netduino 1, Netduino Plus 1 and Netduino Mini) once we know that the gen2 firmware is stable. We're not sure if 4.3 is going to fit on gen1 boards (specifically Netduino Plus 1). Chris

Hello!

Okay. Makes more sense. And when will that happen? I'm more interested in the Mini and the N1 as I don't have an NP1 here. [N1 means the Netduino 1, and the NP1 means the Netduino Plus 1.]

Obviously this means as we go forward in our work with better processors and more involved firmware, this means that the older systems are now US because they may not be usable with this newer firmware.

Doctor Who

#78 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:24 PM

Hi Dr Who, There are a few dependencies on 4.3 firmware on the gen1 boards. For Netduino Plus 1 there's an is-there-enough-room-in-flash issue. For Netduino 1 and Netduino Mini...their templates are changing a little bit so we'll need to do a bit of work in the SDK installers first. Once 4.3 (firmware and SDK) are RTM on the gen2 boards, we can dedicate some engineering resources to address 4.3 on gen1 boards. We upgraded the USB hardware infrastructure on gen2 boards for .NET MF 4.2 QFE2 and newer, and generally we recommend building on the newest boards. But if we can support the latest .NET MF firmware on older boards, within hardware limitations, we'd love to be able to do that too :) Chris

#79 vader7071

vader7071

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • LocationDothan, AL

Posted 13 December 2013 - 12:55 AM

I have been reading back and watching this thread, and I have some questions.

Like Dr. Who, I am running a Netduino Std v1.  I have upgraded all my boards from the 4.1 firmware to the v4.2 firmware.  With the 4.3, will I gain any benefit?  Chris, as you have seen from some of my posts, I am not all that adept yet at programming and I am still developing simple scripts to run simple concepts.  After Christmas the most "in depth" concept I will be working on will be using SPI to control a Max 7219.  I eventually hope to become more experienced and develop more advanced projects.

Would my best bet be to just leave my V1 boards on 4.2 and get new V2 boards (plus boards) on the 4.3 firmware?

#80 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 13 December 2013 - 02:18 AM

Hi vader7071, Most of the new features in .NET MF 4.3 actually made it into .NET MF 4.2 QFE2, which is the release that the latest Netduino gen1 firmware is based on. Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.