Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

How to install (or upgrade to) .NET Micro Framework v4.2 SDK

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 21 October 2011 - 03:58 AM

*** UPDATE: Updated for .NET Micro Framework 4.2 QFE2 ***

http://forums.netdui...?showtopic=5117

#2 tknman0700

tknman0700

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:19 PM

How does one upgrade netduino plus to 4.2 flash? Thanks

#3 Jeffa

Jeffa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationCurrently Los Angeles

Posted 05 August 2012 - 02:34 AM

I hope it goes without saying, but I'll say it... Thank you for maintaining this site.

Maybe just me after doing battle with circuit, code, versions, updating the bootloader and all... however I found it difficult or time consuming to find this page or some other link to the version 4.2rc5 .netmf SDK and netduino SDK matching the firmware I had just successfully upgraded to.

Although I'm logged in I don't appear to have edit permission on the Wiki or I would have added a link to this thread on the firmware page: 'http://wiki.netduino.com/Firmware.ashx'

On the http://www.netduino.com/downloads/ page it would have been convenient to have all the files necessary for the current RC in one place - the bootloader upgrades, firmware, SDK etc... Or a pointer to perhaps this page. Some single location with links to all the necessary files and howTo's if they exist.

FYI when I clicked on the: '.NET Micro Framework v4.2 source' link an auto initiated download of the port kit, pk.zip, was started. I was assuming I'd get the source and need to build the SDK for 4.2rc5 (that was before I found this page)

It was also a bit confusing (or disappointing) to see the 4.2 stuff listed for the Netduino Go but not the Netduino, ...(plus / mini)

I hope netduino won't be taking back seat to the Gadgeteer, netduino go, panda, fez and other modularized boards...

Perhaps I'm on the wrong version entirely? If this thread was Posted 20 October 2011 - 08:58 PM then surely there must be a newer RC or shouldn't this have gone to RTM?
---
KF7CRU @jhalbrecht
Work: www.iea-software.com
Tmi: www.rodaw.com, tumblr.rodaw.com

#4 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationBreda, the Netherlands

Posted 05 August 2012 - 09:02 AM

Hi and welcome to the forums!

First of all, flashing instructions on the wiki; it's devided in two parts:
- The tinybooter
- The firmware

The 4.2 firmware is still in beta and available here.
The reason it's not yet RTM, is explained here, but short story; it currently causes BSODs at some points. For me personally, that's a big issue. I know there are some people working on a fix for that atm.
"Fact that I'm a moderator doesn't make me an expert in things." Stefan, the eternal newb!
My .NETMF projects: .NETMF Toolbox / Gadgeteer Light / Some PCB designs

#5 ImplicitSystems

ImplicitSystems

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationLake Havasu City, AZ

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:47 PM

The upgrade to 4.20 was smooth but when I converted some test projects to 4.2 I got the Error: "An error has occurred. Please check your hardware". There is little to no info as to why just that error line in the output.

If I start a new project there is no problem in talking and deploying a project to the NetDuino Plus. Some of the more simple test projects do deploy just not the more complicated ones.

Any idea what might be the issue? everything looks to be pointing to the correct framework.

concerning the upgrade. Everything was updated including the latest USB driver for the NetDuino Plus.

PS: This stuff is awesome! Great job! Is there a faster NetDuino Plus+ on the slate like the NetDuino Go coming by chance?

Andy
Andy

#6 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:38 PM

Hi Andy,

The upgrade to 4.20 was smooth but when I converted some test projects to 4.2 I got the Error: "An error has occurred. Please check your hardware". There is little to no info as to why just that error line in the output.

If you open up the Output window in Visual Studio, it should have a bit more information. It's possible that there is a version mismatch of assemblies...the most common scenario.

.NET MF 4.2 QFE2 is coming out soon. I would recommend updating your 4.2 boards to that release and seeing if you get a more descriptive error (or if the error goes away). There are some enhancements along these lines.

PS: This stuff is awesome! Great job! Is there a faster NetDuino Plus+ on the slate like the NetDuino Go coming by chance?

Thank you for the compliment! We really appreciate the feedback.

Netduino Go + Shield Base is the premium offer in the Netduino line. I generally can't comment on unreleased products, but we working on enhancements for the regular Netduinos as well (software and hardware...new accessories coming soon).

Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.