Compatible Shields and Accessories - Page 3 - Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1) - Netduino Forums

Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Compatible Shields and Accessories

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#41 fitims

fitims

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 10:17 AM

Actually when ordering arduino shields make sure you check the amount of current that the shield requires from the pins, since arduino allows up to 40mA per I/O pin where as netduino only allows 8mA per I/O pin which is 5x less. I found this out hard way (should have read the details) after screwing up a netduino board and a arduino shield :( Fitim

#42 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationBreda, the Netherlands

Posted 03 August 2011 - 10:59 AM

Hi fitims, you make me curious, what shield did you try?
"Fact that I'm a moderator doesn't make me an expert in things." Stefan, the eternal newb!
My .NETMF projects: .NETMF Toolbox / Gadgeteer Light / Some PCB designs

#43 Mario Vernari

Mario Vernari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1768 posts
  • LocationVenezia, Italia

Posted 03 August 2011 - 11:56 AM

Actually when ordering arduino shields make sure you check the amount of current that the shield requires from the pins, since arduino allows up to 40mA per I/O pin where as netduino only allows 8mA per I/O pin which is 5x less.

I would read the specs more carefully.
The ARM specs (Netduino MCU) offer various sink capabilities, depending on the pin. The sink can vary from 2 to 16mA.

The AVR specs (Arduino family) state that the absolute maximum ratings (to avoid due the high stress) is 40mA on a generic pin. It means the capability of a generic pin, as if was take alone.
If you read further, there are two interesting points.
First off, the specs state:
Although each I/O port can source more than the test conditions (20 mA at VCC = 5V, 10 mA at VCC = 3V) under steady state
conditions (non-transient), the following must be observed:
ATmega48PA/88PA/168PA/328P:
1] The sum of all IOH, for ports C0 - C5, D0- D4, ADC7, RESET should not exceed 150 mA.
2] The sum of all IOH, for ports B0 - B5, D5 - D7, ADC6, XTAL1, XTAL2 should not exceed 150 mA.

Secondly, take a look at the charts of the sink current vs output voltage. It clearly consider a sink up to 20mA.

The problem is NOT the current, but the power that will overheat the chip core!
Take the heating power for one pin and multiply for the numbers of outputs. The higher is the number of outputs, the lower must be the upper bound of the max current allowed.

Finally, an Arduino shield asking 40mA for a pin it's probably garbage.
Cheers
Biggest fault of Netduino? It runs by electricity.

#44 ULight.Me

ULight.Me

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationMilton, Ontario

Posted 03 August 2011 - 05:21 PM

Beginner question: Would this Camera Axe Shield be compatible with netduino? http://www.dreamingr...asg6tlhjfnj7vp3

#45 Mario Vernari

Mario Vernari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1768 posts
  • LocationVenezia, Italia

Posted 03 August 2011 - 05:35 PM

Would this Camera Axe Shield be compatible with netduino?

http://www.dreamingr...asg6tlhjfnj7vp3

It looks as a standalone product (it embeds an Arduino). I wasn't able to find what an external controller should do.
Biggest fault of Netduino? It runs by electricity.

#46 fitims

fitims

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 11:19 AM

Hi Mario and Stefan Thanks for the clarification. Unfortunately I am a software engineer and my knowledge of electronics is very basic and a lot of things still don't make sense to me (one being reading the datasheets - still can't decode them :) I bought a relay shield from china and it was working very well with arduino, but when I plugged it on the netduino, it worked for about 5 mins then it just stopped and netudino was extremely hot. Now the ports on netduino are fried. So after searching and reading a lot of stuff from the internet, I came to conclusion that it must have been the power the shield was draining from the netduino. Fitim

#47 rageguy

rageguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 12:12 PM

Hi folks Has anyone here tested Mamba Shield with netduino?

#48 Paul Newton

Paul Newton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationBerkshire, UK

Posted 13 November 2011 - 08:19 PM

Sparkfun Ardumoto Motor Driver Shield:

This shield is not directly compatible with the Netduino. It expects PWM interface on data pins 3 and 11. The Netduino does not support PWM on those pins. So I bent those pins over on the underside of the board to prevent that connection and jumpered those connections to data pins 9 and 10 where the Netduino can provide PWM.

There is also a solder jumper "V-Logic" which must be changed from it's delivered setting of 5V to instead use 3.3V logic levels compatible with the Netduino.

Other than that, usage was straight-forward.

Details and photos can be found at my website.

I also changed the voltage selector to 3.3V, but then changed it back after reading the data sheet for the L298. The data sheet indicates that 5V is required (4.5 to 7V). I don't know why the selector is fitted.

Paul

#49 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationBreda, the Netherlands

Posted 23 November 2011 - 10:50 AM

Posted Image

http://www.evilmadsc...hp/googlyshield

100% compatible!
"Fact that I'm a moderator doesn't make me an expert in things." Stefan, the eternal newb!
My .NETMF projects: .NETMF Toolbox / Gadgeteer Light / Some PCB designs

#50 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 23 November 2011 - 02:49 PM

Regarding the Googly Eye Shield: That's adorable. How funny! Chris

#51 ZakieM

ZakieM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationIsrael

Posted 30 November 2011 - 08:50 PM

Gravitech 7 Segment Shield (http://forums.netdui...h__1#entry11617)
That was my first Netduino work (well after the LED blink sample), and I simply ported the code from the Arduino C/C++ to C#
Zakie Mashiah
Just a curious guy

#52 msakms

msakms

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationEgypt

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:20 PM

Greetings folks,
I would really appreciate it if someone could confirm that the following colored LCD shields are Netduino compatible:
-First one is the seedstudio TFT shield
-Second one is the all known Sparkfun Color LCD Shield
I did a research about the compatibility issues but would like a confirmation from more experienced users.

Many thanks in advance.

#53 cca

cca

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:15 PM

Hello,

-I am interested in managing colored LCD with netduino, but as msakms, I am not sure on what is compatible :
My feeling is that the examples of msakms are electrically compatible, but that there is no (not yet?) C# interface to use them with Netduino! (but maybe it is not so hard to develop C# interface for them?)

-I guess that the ITDB02 Arduino Shield v1.3 and the 2.8" TFT LCD screen Module ITDB02-2.8 should either be "electrically" OK.
->Edit : I have tested the 2.8" TFT LCD screen Module ITDB02-2.8 -> I confirm that it works, but veeeery slowly . In fact have adapted in C#-netduino the arduino exemple provided by itead studio here
->The issue is that we have no quick access to 8-bit bus and then we must set this bus pin after pin, wich is slow (I measure that a pin can't go faster than 8.2Khz, so with 320*240*16bits color screen, it takes more than 2 minutes to fill screen with a picture :( . Maybe with some native code dev. it would be faster!

-There is either the shield posted by Sim in 2010 wich seems to be okay (just need to reroute the CS pin):

Hello, this is my first post from Japan.
Recently I get TFT-LCD shield for Arduino. When the TFT-LCD shield was used with Netduino, I met the problem. By information from this forum, I solved the problem. Thanks lynxeyed_atsu and Chris. TFT-LCD shield use pin4 as SPI chip select. Netduino can only select pin10 as CS.

My conclusion is that TFT-LCD shield is almost compatible shield.

Thanks

Edited by cca, 15 April 2012 - 03:42 PM.

#54 benfly

benfly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:13 AM

Anybody know if the WiShield from Async Labs will work with the Netduino? Or how I might go about getting it to work? It's a regular plug and play with the Arduino Diecimila and Duemilanove.

#55 Big Bear Brian

Big Bear Brian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:58 AM

Has anyone else tried the CAN-BUS shield found at: http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10039 I see a reference in another topic at: http://forums.netdui...ic/2617-canbus/ That poster has submitted two versions of drivers, which appear to have some number of downloads, but I'm wondering whether they are continuing to work well or not. Thanks, Big Bear Brian

#56 Dr Who

Dr Who

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:02 AM

Here are a few Adafruit shields that we've been successfully using in the lab:

Adafruit proto shield
http://www.adafruit....&products_id=51

Adafruit GPS logger shield (GPS connectivity + SD card)
http://www.adafruit....&products_id=98
NOTE: SD card feature requires Netduino v4.1.1 (Alpha 1) or newer firmware.

Adafruit data logging shield (SD card + real-time clock)
http://www.adafruit....products_id=243
NOTE: there are drivers for this RTC (if someone has a link, we'll add it here).

Hello!
Oh good grief! I have here two of those Adafruit Proto shields. I bought them from the same place as three of the RGB LED devices that (I believe) you used for the example. That was the computer store for NYU, they sell large quantities of the stuff to the ITP community, and as it happens to anyone else. (When I bought everything I was asked if I had an ID. I do not as I am not a student of Mr Gallatin's school. Then that happened: When I bought an Arduino from them, the one that means 2009 in Italian, the seller who himself was from that region muttered something rude in Italian under his breath. I didn't ask for a translation. )

I was afraid that when I decided that I would need to buy a regular Netudunio because I've discovered that some of the examples work better on it, I would need to buy yet another one, the Sparkfun style as it happens. That one was chosen because the store Microcenter as it happens sells that one. ( Here it is. ) That guy looks the same as the Adafruit one except its colored in Sparkfun red.

SPF also sells a MicroSD card shield, which is this thing, which I believe would support your position Chris on how to have the unit work with Mono.

Incidentally the price for the SPF protoshield in retail packaging at that store is the same as the one sold from the website.

I also bought the Netdunio Mini from the same store.

The other two I've not as yet found a need for.

Also SPF sells a board which is simply a LiPo powerpack for the Ardunio, I've never tried it so I do not know if it would work to run the boards......

Doctor Who
"This signature does not exist!"

#57 Billy Propes

Billy Propes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationVincent, OH, USA

Posted 14 July 2012 - 04:49 AM

Arduino Motor Shield R3: The datasheets are available from: http://arduino.cc/it...noMotorShieldR3 This will control up to 2 regular motors; or 1 stepper motor. It supplies up to 2 amps per motor, or 4 amps total. This shield can be purchased at Amazon.com for $24.95. http://www.amazon.co...3/dp/B006UTE70E If you can't wait, you can usually get it from a local RadioShack for $34.95 (a little bit expensive, but it works in a pinch). As another user mentioned in this thread, the Netduino doesn't directly support PWM on the required pins for this shield. So, bend the Shield's pins over, and apply jumpers to the pins you want to use. I've created a C# class to make the use of this shield a little easier from your main class. It's attached to this post. Happy coding everybody!!!

Attached Files

#58 Dr Who

Dr Who

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 16 July 2012 - 11:41 PM

Hello!
This shield isn't exactly one per se the board in question accepts the host in the normal position. But here goes:
Parallax BOE for Arduino

Basically it provides everything that users for the original for the Stamp2 would find on the BOE but for the Arduino, and as it happens for the Netduino. I found the two listed for sale at the same Microcenter store where I bought both Netduinos, the Mini and the regular sized one. I had originally thought of building something similar, that is a board wearing the pins in matching positions, and brought out to connectors and a breadboard there as well. (The servo connectors and other things would not be needed.)

The same company sells kits to turn a BOE into a robot of sorts, either wheels or tracks or even a crawler using legs. I had thought of using a similar method for one as described here:
Android G1 Serial To Arduino Robot
The base resembles the BOE bot with tracks but so far the author hasn't explained what the whole business is standing on. The company who makes the tracks also makes a base for the tracks. Ideally the Arduino being used would be replaced by the Netduino. Problem? The programming.

Chris this may not properly fit in with the theme of this thread but I hope you accept it within its own merits. Stefan same here.

Edited by Dr Who, 18 August 2012 - 05:28 PM.

Doctor Who
"This signature does not exist!"

#59 volkan

volkan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationTürkiye

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:13 PM

This Arduino XBee Shield is compatible. This shield working well.I 've been successfully using in my project.

http://www.robitshop...ld,PR-1752.html

#60 mikefielden

mikefielden

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:49 PM

This Arduino XBee Shield is compatible. This shield working well.I 've been successfully using in my project.

http://www.robitshop...ld,PR-1752.html

Volkan, I am trying to use this shield, does it just stack right on top of the netduino or did you have to make modifications? 

How did you get this to work? Any information on it would be fantastic!

I have this - Arduino Wireless SD Shield :

http://arduino.cc/en...oWirelessShield

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.