Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Help with Stepper Motor w/ Easy Driver and Netduino Plus 2

stepper motor easy driver

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 vikramr

vikramr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:36 AM

Hi Guys, I'm currently just trying to get a stepper motor to simply spin, but can't seem to get any movement but there is a lot of holding torque so I know there is power going to the motor. 

How its wired: 

12v power supply going to the Easy Driver (m+/gnd) 

gnd/step/dir on Easy Driver all going to pins in the netduino. 

4 cables from bipolar motor going to Easy Driver

I also connected the 3/5v pads so the netduino can control it with 3.3V signals. 

The code:

OutputPort directionPort = new OutputPort(Pins.GPIO_PIN_D5, false);

OutputPort stepPort = new OutputPort(Pins.GPIO_PIN_D6, false);

directionPort.Write(true);

while (true)

{

stepPort.Write(false);

stepPort.Write(true);

Thread.Sleep(1);

}

I'm not sure if I'm missing any connections? 

Thanks,

Vikram

#2 Paul Newton

Paul Newton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationBerkshire, UK

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:25 PM

Hi Vikram,

Welcome to the Forums!

I am guessing this is the Easy Driver. Its always good to put a link in.

I looked at the Quickstart guide that uses an Arduino, looks like you have done something very similar (apart from the 3.3V mod).

(I was surprised to see the tutorial taking the 12V supply through the Arduino on to the motoro board - lots of current to burn out the tracks!)

Looking at the schematic, there are two solder bridge jumpers - one for the 5V/3.3V option "SJ2" and one to use an external supply "SJ1".

It is posible you got the wrong one? If so, the board is still expecting 5V.

It might be worth using a shorter sleep in the loop in case the board is micro stepping and it is moving very slowly.

Sorry this is not much help - Paul

#3 vikramr

vikramr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 05:31 AM

Hi Vikram,

Welcome to the Forums!

I am guessing this is the Easy Driver. Its always good to put a link in.

I looked at the Quickstart guide that uses an Arduino, looks like you have done something very similar (apart from the 3.3V mod).

(I was surprised to see the tutorial taking the 12V supply through the Arduino on to the motoro board - lots of current to burn out the tracks!)

Looking at the schematic, there are two solder bridge jumpers - one for the 5V/3.3V option "SJ2" and one to use an external supply "SJ1".

It is posible you got the wrong one? If so, the board is still expecting 5V.

It might be worth using a shorter sleep in the loop in case the board is micro stepping and it is moving very slowly.

Sorry this is not much help - Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the response. The board you linked on sparkfun is the one I'm using. The SJ2 is actually labeled 3/5v so I think I soldered the right one. 

Thanks,

Vikram

#4 Paul Newton

Paul Newton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationBerkshire, UK

Posted 22 April 2014 - 04:15 PM

OK,

Back to basics then - you should be able to disonnect the Netduino completely from the driver board, and control the two inputs using switches or flying leads.

Vcc and ground are both on JP4.

If you have a multi-meter, first check that Vcc is 3.3V.

Connect the direction input to ground (as it does not matter which way it is wired up).

The step input, would be best wired into a change-over toggle switch with the common going to the driver board, and the outer pins going to ground and Vcc. That way the switch will pull the step input up and down. If you don't have a switch, then you can use a flying lead connected to the input, and manully move the other end of the lead between ground and Vcc.

With this setup try stepping the input and see if the motor moves.

This will tell us if its a problem with the driver board or a problem with the software/Netduino.

Hope this helps - Paul

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: stepper motor, easy driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.