Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.

klotz's Content

There have been 60 items by klotz (Search limited from 29-April 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#3383 Experimental Drivers for Wiznet-based Ethernet Shields

Posted by klotz on 02 October 2010 - 04:03 AM in Beta Firmware and Drivers

I think this is the proper close code
        internal void Close(int socketIndex)
        {
            UInt16 socketBaseAddress = (UInt16)(0x400 + (socketIndex * 0x100));

// issue command to close the socket
            // socket n command register (Sn_CR)
            WriteRegister((UInt16)(socketBaseAddress + 0x0001), 0x10);
            while (ReadRegister((UInt16)(socketBaseAddress + 0x0001)) != 0) ; // wait to process the command
            lock (m_SocketsLock)
            {
                m_Sockets[socketIndex] = null;
            }
        }

#3345 Experimental Drivers for Wiznet-based Ethernet Shields

Posted by klotz on 01 October 2010 - 10:51 AM in Beta Firmware and Drivers

klotz--any interest in helping get uIP up and running on the Netduino Plus? I might be able to get you one of the lab units. We only have a few, but if you were serious about helping... pascal06 is leading the project.

Chris

Sure. I would be willing. I did want to get around to a Neduino plus when they start shipping again and if this is a way to make sure the network is up and running I'll do my part.
Just need some pointers to the code base and away we go :D

#3328 Experimental Drivers for Wiznet-based Ethernet Shields

Posted by klotz on 01 October 2010 - 04:38 AM in Beta Firmware and Drivers

Ooh, we always love volunteers :)

Let's keep the Wiznet drives in C# for now, and then translate them to C++ later. They'll be faster as native code, but there are fewer "gotchas" and somewhat more portability if we create them in C#.

If you'd like a copy of the Wiznet communication spec, just PM me your e-mail address and I'll send over a copy. We could create a CodePlex project pretty easily.

All that said, finishing the Wiznet drivers will probably take about 5-10 more days of work. The easiest/fastest solution is probably to have us focus on fleshing out the implementation next week...and to have you and hari test and help resolve any bugs... Interested?

Chris

Chris add me to your list of volunteers. I have worked on a project were we implemented uIP on an HC12 using the enc... chip so I have some experience with networking in sockets. (though I will admit to being a newbie at C# I have extensive experience in C++). I just spent the last 2 hours getting bind and listen implemented and ran into a glitch on accept so I do want to help.

#3171 Experimental Drivers for Wiznet-based Ethernet Shields

Posted by klotz on 29 September 2010 - 04:42 AM in Beta Firmware and Drivers

I don't understand it, but it ALSO works when I use the physical address of my PC!? So you can try that.
Open a command prompt on your PC, type ipconfig /all
You should see Physical Address listed for each ethernet card on your PC, it should look like XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX, pick one, and convert it to 0xXX, 0xXX, etc.

Also confusing is that my NKC Ethernet Shield does not seem to care what I put as Physical Address. It works even with the physical address of the Arduino Ethernet shield.

That is a good suggestion. However, you may want to be careful about using an address that will be on the same network segment as the shield. Some ethernet devices count on all the addresses on the same segment being unique.
Another good source of unique mac addresses would be defunct or dead network devices you may have laying around. MAC addresses are generally printed on the serial number label and if they are truly defunct/dead you can be certain that the address is unique.

#3649 Experimental Drivers for Wiznet-based Ethernet Shields

Posted by klotz on 08 October 2010 - 01:19 AM in Beta Firmware and Drivers

Well after killing one of my Netduino's, I have managed to add listen, bind and accept to the experimental drivers. I think there is a disconnect between the implementation in the Wiz5100 chip and WinSock or Berkley Sockets. So based on my implementation you can only receive one connection request. Maybe someone can find where I am going wrong and post an update. I have changed the namespace so I could keep my changes separate from the original SecretLabs implementation. EDIT KLOTZ: Update the implementation of the bind/Listen/accept code based on some more reading. Also change the test code. Still does not reconnect.

Attached Files

#3659 Experimental Drivers for Wiznet-based Ethernet Shields

Posted by klotz on 08 October 2010 - 10:47 AM in Beta Firmware and Drivers

Hi klotz!

I'm trying to get your test project to run, but I must be doing something wrong, because it never gets past this "do loop":

do
{
socketStatus = ReadRegister((UInt16)(socketBaseAddress + 0x0003));
} while (socketStatus != (byte)WiznetStatus.SOCK_ESTABLISHED);

It never returns:
WiznetStatus.SOCK_ESTABLISHED

Do you have any idea what can be wrong?

Thanks,

Ramon

I can't be sure without more details, so I appologize for asking the obvious question, 1) do you have the board connected to a 192.168.11.x network? 2) Have you posted a request from a client computer, "http://192.168.11.98"?
The code waits for a connections from the client, the loop you mentioned so is blocked.

#3740 Experimental Drivers for Wiznet-based Ethernet Shields

Posted by klotz on 10 October 2010 - 11:36 AM in Beta Firmware and Drivers

Probably not the way to do it, but I got it to accept multiple connects by moving these 2 lines of code inside the while(true) loop in the Main()

Socket listenSocket = new Socket(AddressFamily.InterNetwork, SocketType.Stream, ProtocolType.Tcp);
listenSocket.Bind(ep);

So the listening socket gets created and bound every time it finished a connection :)
No I can connect as many times to the Netduino as I want.

I would never have thought to do it that way. I am used to using sockets under WinSocks and you would not normally have to recreate the socket to get a new connection. It looks to me like it is not dropping the connection when I close the socket. Your solution causes the socket to be desposed and that may explain why it works.

#3721 Experimental Drivers for Wiznet-based Ethernet Shields

Posted by klotz on 09 October 2010 - 05:08 PM in Beta Firmware and Drivers

updated the code. I found I was not doing the bind/listen/accept cycle correctly. Not sure I have it right yet, I still can't connect more than once. Hope someone could tell me where I am going wrong.

#3668 Experimental Drivers for Wiznet-based Ethernet Shields

Posted by klotz on 08 October 2010 - 07:53 PM in Beta Firmware and Drivers

Ramon,
While I'm unfamiliar with this particular code, I've seen that behavior before and in my case it was because my Ethernet Shield (NKC and authentic Arduino Ethernet Shield) require the 6 pin ICSP header. Both shields were stuck waiting until I solder the ICSP header on the Netduino. You might be running into the same issue.

That is a very good point. I did have a problem with my Seeeduino Ethernet board, it would not accept any of the commands. It turned out that I could do one of two things, add an ICSP connector to my Netduino or change some soldered jumpers on the board.
You may want to check to see if the enthernet board has jumpers. The best place to look would be on the schematic.

#3168 Experimental Drivers for Wiznet-based Ethernet Shields

Posted by klotz on 29 September 2010 - 04:23 AM in Beta Firmware and Drivers

klotz,

Try the following MAC address; it's an official Secret Labs MAC address (and one we use for testing).
5C-86-4A-00-00-09

Chris

Thanks alot Chris, That was the ticket! It works now. When I get to work in the morning I will get a MAC address from my allocation.
Just out of curiosity, any idea why the default one in the test code would not work?

#3172 Experimental Drivers for Wiznet-based Ethernet Shields

Posted by klotz on 29 September 2010 - 04:49 AM in Beta Firmware and Drivers

Some routers don't like the one from the test code--which is interesting. We'll start using a "reserved test MAC address"--probably the one I just posted--in test code going forward.

Chris

I did a quick check of the standard, maybe the problem is that the first byte has the least significant bit set which means broadcast. Routers generally will not propagate a broadcast by default, for many good reasons. I don't know why I didn't notice it before, must be because it is getting late. :D
Since my network here at home is three tiered, my first jump would have been blocked. I was just luck that my pc and the 'duino were on the same segment(switch).

#3149 Experimental Drivers for Wiznet-based Ethernet Shields

Posted by klotz on 29 September 2010 - 01:22 AM in Beta Firmware and Drivers

I am having the same results. 10060 when running the wiznet test app from here. I am sure we are missing something basic but have no clue what it could be. :(

#3163 Experimental Drivers for Wiznet-based Ethernet Shields

Posted by klotz on 29 September 2010 - 04:00 AM in Beta Firmware and Drivers

I fixed that error by updating PhysicalAddress initialization in the sample program with the MAC address printed on sticker on the back of my Ethernet Shield.
Replace the bytes in red with your actual MAC address.

networkInterface.PhysicalAddress = new byte[] { 0x01, 0x23, 0x45, 0x67, 0x89, 0x01 };

Good luck!

I have an Arduino Ethernet shield and there is no MAC address printed on it anywhere. Does the Wiz5100 have one "programmed" into it? If so how do I get it?

#3158 Experimental Drivers for Wiznet-based Ethernet Shields

Posted by klotz on 29 September 2010 - 03:19 AM in Beta Firmware and Drivers

Yes the shield pings just fine. >ping 192.168.11.98 Pinging 192.168.11.98 with 32 bytes of data: Reply from 192.168.11.98: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128 Reply from 192.168.11.98: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128 Reply from 192.168.11.98: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128 Reply from 192.168.11.98: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128 Ping statistics for 192.168.11.98: Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss), Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds: Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms I should add that I am using the original Arduino shield with no SD card.

#3160 Experimental Drivers for Wiznet-based Ethernet Shields

Posted by klotz on 29 September 2010 - 03:47 AM in Beta Firmware and Drivers

Looking at your error code again... DNS is not supported yet. We put that in the release notes next to the download link, but maybe we need to make that more obvious. Can you try connecting via direct IP and see if that works?

Chris

I had read that DNS was not working, but I thought that was the purpose of the proxy in the following segment from the Wiznet test posted in this forum.
            string url = "http://www.secretlabs.com/default.htm";
            // NOTE: since this experimental release does not support DNS yet, we must use the IP address of the web server as the proxy address.
            string proxy = "174.143.45.105"; // ip address of secretlabs.com

// If the device must go through a proxy server, then set proxy to the 
            // fqdn or ip of the proxy server.
            try
            {
                String html = GetWebPage(proxy, url, 80);
                Debug.Print(html);
            }
            catch (SocketException se)

BTW I don't require a proxy server to access the net.

#3285 Wait...what's this?

Posted by klotz on 30 September 2010 - 03:13 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

They are apparently all gone. I can't find one anywhere today.

#2144 Compatible Shields and Accessories

Posted by klotz on 11 September 2010 - 11:52 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Not a shield but I need it so some one else may need one as well http://www.sparkfun....products_id=133, RS232 shifter. It converts from digital to RS232 sufficiently to work with a PC. Just don't forget to use 3.3 Vdc for VCC or you could spend a whole afternoon troubleshoot the hardware ( I wonder how he knew that? :rolleyes: )

Attached Thumbnails

• Shifter-0.jpg

#2145 Compatible Shields and Accessories

Posted by klotz on 12 September 2010 - 12:03 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Well when it comes to prototype shields, there is not much that can go wrong, but thought I would add this one anyway. NKC Electronics has http://www.nkcelectr...hield-kit.html. The only caveat is that you don't want to install the 6-Pin ICSP pass thru. Itdoesn't work with the Netduino anyway since it's not populated B)

Attached Thumbnails

• NKC Prototype Shield.gif
  • protoshield_v6.jpg

#3506 Compatible Shields and Accessories

Posted by klotz on 04 October 2010 - 11:36 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Add the following Wiz5100 ethernet shield http://www.seeedstud...l?cPath=101_102 also available from http://www.nkcelectr...eeedstudio.html Like the latest Arduino Ethernet shield it requires an ISPC connection. Sorry about that, I found the schematic and it will work without the ISPC. There are three zero ohm resister used as jumpers that just have to be moved to convert from ISP to DI MOSI. Duh! :unsure:

Attached Thumbnails

• wiznetshield500.jpg

#1061 Netduino servo class

Posted by klotz on 22 August 2010 - 03:26 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Nice, at least someone got some use out of it! Yeah, this class has been used and tested extensively, so it's all worked out. I will be updating the class in just a sec, too.

I just tried to use the class from the post, and I get an error while compiling "Error 1 The type or namespace name 'Cpu' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)"

While I am new to using C# this is not the first class library I have made so I am a little confused about why I am getting the error. I did copy and pasted the file from the post.
Any suggestion?

#1080 Netduino servo class

Posted by klotz on 22 August 2010 - 06:52 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Did you include the Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware reference? You probably also need SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware and SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware.Netduino

So it was a problem with the way I created the project, not the source at all. Once I went to References under the solution explorer and added the Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware, it build just fine.
Like I said I am still a nubie when it comes to C#.

BTW: That and SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware. Oops. :lol:
Thanks.

#2783 Stay close to your computer (or come to MakerFaire)...

Posted by klotz on 24 September 2010 - 05:58 PM in General Discussion

Yes, and it's bedtime for sure :)

Chris

I noticed the spec's http://www.netduino....oplus/specs.htm say the microSD holds up to 2Gb. Is this because the Plus uses SPI to talk to the SD card or is it a software limit?

#709 Steps to restore an Erased Netduino

Posted by klotz on 17 August 2010 - 11:41 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

I have read in another thread that you need XP Mode: http://forums.netdui...indpost__p__283

I not sure that you actually need to use XP mode. I am doing all my work in Window7 Ultimate 64-bit native mode.
I didn't have to do anything special to make it work either.

#9891 i2C netduino won't work!

Posted by klotz on 20 February 2011 - 01:01 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Ok, I just got up and tried my driver on the Netduino. In fact I used my latest demo program I use for debuging driver improvements and the only thing I had to change was a few "using" statements and references.
If you start from "New project" paste the embedded code to you programs.cs, you would only have to add a reference to the Newhaven Displays class.
using System;
using System.Threading;
using Microsoft.SPOT;
using Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware;
using SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware;
using SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware.Netduino;

namespace Netduino_With_Newhaven_Display
{
    public class Program
    {
        private static NewhavenDisplay.SerialLCD display;
        private static I2CDevice bus;

static void sendFunction(byte[] data)
        {
            I2CDevice.I2CTransaction[] xAct = new I2CDevice.I2CTransaction[] { I2CDevice.CreateWriteTransaction(data) };
            int bytes = bus.Execute(xAct, 1000);
        }
        public static void Main()
        {
            bus = new I2CDevice(new I2CDevice.Configuration(0x50 >> 1, 100));
            display = new NewhavenDisplay.SerialLCD(sendFunction);
            display.Clear();
            display.Write("Well did it work?");
            display.Write("Lets see what happens with this one");
        }
    }
}

#9873 i2C netduino won't work!

Posted by klotz on 20 February 2011 - 04:13 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

I have a Newhaven display running in .NETMF, you can look a working code on http://www.fezzer.co...ial-lcd-display . While this was done FEZ Panda, the code should work on Netduino. Give it a look. I will try it with the Netduino tomorrow morning myself so I can post a demon with the Netduino

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.