Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.

Szymon's Content

There have been 108 items by Szymon (Search limited from 28-April 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#2008 OneWire ALPHA

Posted by Szymon on 09 September 2010 - 09:19 AM in Beta Firmware and Drivers

Does anybody from those who downloaded the firmware and possibly tried it have any feedback? How should I interpret the silence, with regard to initial eager requests? Please let me know whether it works or not with your device, so I can fix possible problems and publish the code. Thanks in advance.

Hi CW2,
I finally got to look at this. I uploaded your firmware and tested with one DS18B20 sensor. I'm happy to report that it works fine with your demo app :-)

Did you managed to implement the search function? I think this is the only important thing missing from the native code. I compare it to arduino version http://www.pjrc.com/...bs_OneWire.html

The Skip and Select methods can be implemented in managed code because it only sends a command with WriteByte. We can also compute the Crc.

I can send you my version of Micro DallasTemperature library if you want to test it.

Edit: Oh, and I would definitively move the managed OneWire class to another assembly (at least until it makes to official firmware). Having two versions of the same assembly totally messed my project references.

#13004 .NET Gadgeteer availibility

Posted by Szymon on 09 May 2011 - 07:27 AM in General Discussion

Chris, please count me in for the Gadgeteer shield!

#1214 Hobby Grade RC Car Control Suite

Posted by Szymon on 24 August 2010 - 10:25 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Chris, The project looks super cool! Please keep posting about your progress. I'm busy now with some other things but would like to follow along and build one later too.

#13002 Open Source uIP porting project

Posted by Szymon on 09 May 2011 - 07:24 AM in General Discussion

Please let me know who want's to joint the project. Just send me your CodePlex account name so I can add you to project members.

#12093 Open Source uIP porting project

Posted by Szymon on 14 April 2011 - 06:06 AM in General Discussion

I would love to think up loud and test stuff when there's something read (I got the ENC28J60 myself). For development I have little time near my own projects, and I still lack knowledge on many grounds so there I can't help you out.

For a network stack, what I would love to see is a very simple implementation of socket listeners and outgoing sockets. When that's done I could write all kinds of daemons and networking clients in C#.

I just clicked the subscribe-button of this topic so I can follow the process closely :D

Hi Stefan,
Thanks for your feedback. Could you elaborate about "very simple implementation of socket listeners and outgoing sockets"? What would you like this APIs to look like? Should we make it close as possible to existing .NET Socket class or we should take different approach.
http://msdn.microsof...ets.socket.aspx

Any scenario in particular that you think we should address?

Best,
-Szymon

#13001 Open Source uIP porting project

Posted by Szymon on 09 May 2011 - 07:23 AM in General Discussion

Hi all, I think we should start from the bottom and get the basic uIP stack modules running first. Applications can come later as I'm sure they will be useful for testing and as learning examples. But first we should look if any of the bottom level modules have any corresponding functions builtin in the .NET MF already. For example the "Memory block management functions" or "Timer library" I think would find replacements.

#2584 LCD Library

Posted by Szymon on 21 September 2010 - 08:21 PM in Project Showcase

Hi, I have finally published the library on CodePlex. You can grab it here http://microliquidcr...l.codeplex.com/ Basically the same code as previously published on my blog, just with few renames. Please let me know if you have any suggestions on what can be improved.

#2426 LCD Library

Posted by Szymon on 18 September 2010 - 04:03 PM in Project Showcase

Hi, The pin assignment looks exactly the same as one that I used. If you look at the diagram on my blog the pins on the LCD are numbered from right to left. Thus as you can see pin 3 is connected to potentiometer to adjust the display contrast. I use output pin 0 on shift register to turn backlight on or off so it should be reserved. Then pins 1,2,3 on shift register are connected to pins 4,5,6 on the display (rs, rw, enable). Finally pins 4 through 7 are connected to pins 11 to 14 on display. Because it uses 4-bit mode display pins 7 to 10 are not connected. I hope this helps. -Szymon

#3776 LCD Library

Posted by Szymon on 11 October 2010 - 07:06 PM in Project Showcase

Hi all, Sorry for delayed response. I'm finally back home and could take close photos of my board for anyone who wants to take a look. My board is mounted with components facing the LCD thus I had to reverse the order of pins on the shift register. This is why I added the MSB/LSB option to the provider. In my case I use a 10K pot to adjust the contrast and backlight is turned on/off via the one remaining output of shift register.

Attached Thumbnails

• _MG_2269.jpg
  • _MG_2273.jpg

#3843 LCD Library

Posted by Szymon on 13 October 2010 - 03:02 PM in Project Showcase

Edit: The strange things appearing seems to be intermittent, it happened when I first turned it on this morning. Here is a picture...

Spike,
Looking at the photo I can't see exactly how you connected wires to the LCD. Did you solder them directly or added header pins?

In any case make sure they are connected firmly. If any of the wires gets disconnected the LCD can't interpret the commands and thus you might get the garbage flickering on screen as you are seeing now.

#5252 LCD Library

Posted by Szymon on 24 November 2010 - 06:27 PM in Project Showcase

I have updated the LCD library to support I2C port expanders. In particular this enables to use the library with the Adafruit's i2c/spi LCD backpack: http://www.adafruit....products_id=292 http://www.ladyada.n...spilcdbackpack/ Of course it already supported the SPI mode but now you can choose I2C as well (however I found that I2C is 2-3 times slower than SPI). Please see new example project HelloWorld_I2C for demonstration on how to use the new provider. This release also incorporates the ShifterSetup as sugested by sweetlilmre in this thread. This enables anyone to configure mapping of the shifter outputs to LCD pins. You can pass your setup via optional parameter to shifter constructors.

#3779 LCD Library

Posted by Szymon on 11 October 2010 - 07:13 PM in Project Showcase

Secondly the Fritzing wiring diagram on Szymon's blog page is slightly incorrect w.r.t. the SPI port:

SHCP = PIN 13 (not 12)
STCP = PIN 10
DS = PIN 11

Thanks for spoting this. In earlier version I sent data to shift register all in managed code, but later I switched to hardware SPI and thus had to move clock input pin to SPCK (pin 13).

Edit: I have updated the diagram in the blog post.

#3777 LCD Library

Posted by Szymon on 11 October 2010 - 07:09 PM in Project Showcase

This stuff is hard to debug if you get it wrong :)

What I did to verify it works correctly, was simply put LEDs to each output of the shift register instead of connecting it to LCD. Then I could step through the code and observe if they are light up in correct pattern. I think the backlight would be easiest to verify. Just make a loop to turn it on/off and see if the apropriate LED will blink.

#1886 LCD Library

Posted by Szymon on 07 September 2010 - 06:05 AM in Project Showcase

I'm glad that some of you found my library useful, and posted about your results: http://forums.netdui...-seeeduino-lcd/ I was thinking to put it on CodePlex so that we can keep a better track of all code changes and extensions. What do you think? Should I keep the name MicroLiquidCrystal for the project?

#1783 LCD Library

Posted by Szymon on 05 September 2010 - 07:46 PM in Project Showcase

Or just cheat and get a SerLCD from Sparkfun. ;-)

Meh, that would be no fun. Besides I didn't wanted to wait for the order ;-)

#1780 LCD Library

Posted by Szymon on 05 September 2010 - 06:20 PM in Project Showcase

Hi, In my third blog post I'm demonstrating how to connect an alpahnumeric 16x2 LCD display to the Netudino. I created a library based on Arduino LiquidCrystal lib and earlier work done by Pavel Bansky. The LCD can be connected both directly (in 4-bit and 8-bit modes) or via a 74HC595 shift register. Here is the blog post: http://geekswithblog...id_crystal.aspx The source code is here: http://cid-4c7ec0c21...l^_20100905.zip

#1216 Netduino Fritzing part

Posted by Szymon on 24 August 2010 - 10:56 AM in General Discussion

I have update schematics on my blog. It looks great! Thanks for great work. http://geekswithblog...nking_leds.aspx

#804 Temperature Sensor?

Posted by Szymon on 18 August 2010 - 09:37 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Oh, thats right. I've seen it before but forgot about it. So I will just check how it works with netduino.

I tested Elze Kool's SHT11 class and it works great on netduino. It compiled and run without any modifications (besides pin assignments in initialization). So this clearly demonstrates the power of .NET MF code portability (he was using Embedded Master in his demo).

Btw. Elze uses interesting convention to separate input providers from the driver code. I assume he did it in case the sensor would be attached on a different type of bus. For example via an I2C extender chip. I'm curious if you use similar pattern in your code? Are there any other best practices for .NET Micro Framework programming?

#785 Temperature Sensor?

Posted by Szymon on 18 August 2010 - 08:39 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

I for one would definitely be interested! :)

Chris,
First I want to finish a little tutorial on using shift registers (74HC595) to extend number of outputs of netduino. I'm using 7 segment LEDs as example (this is actually one of basic tutorials for arduino too). I have all code working so hopefully it will be ready this week. Then I can add the temperature sensor so together it could make a digital termometer with LED display.

#776 Temperature Sensor?

Posted by Szymon on 18 August 2010 - 07:47 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

On arduino I used these two temperature sensors:
DS18S20 One Wire Digital Temperature Sensor
SHT15 Humidity and Temperature Sensor

Both are very easy to use and produce good results. Last year I've built several wireless units that were measuring temperature, humidity and light level around the house. I put them in the repurposed AirWick Mini automatic refreshners (so I also got a motion sensor as bounus). Here are some photos: http://cid-4c7ec0c21...tal electronics

Anyway, if anyone here is interested I can look into converting the drivers for these sensors to .NET MF.

#833 Temperature Sensor?

Posted by Szymon on 19 August 2010 - 11:06 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

@segu & @dichotomousgal I'm working on my little tutorial right now, and it should be ready before weekend. I let you know here when it's published. Hope you like it :-)

#1033 Temperature Sensor?

Posted by Szymon on 22 August 2010 - 09:45 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Szymon

Waiting for that, will help me a lot

segu

I have published the article on my blog: http://forums.netdui...-blinking-leds/

Now I will look into writing the driver for one-wire DS18B20 sensor.

#1315 Temperature Sensor?

Posted by Szymon on 26 August 2010 - 09:44 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

With my oscilloscope I see that the period is 115.28 uS. So it take 115.28 / 2 = 57.64 uS to change Digital Port state. To slow for OneWire communication.

Hi Pascal,
Great that you confirmed this with the oscilloscope. I tried this myself and came to the same conlusion like you and Pavel. See here http://forums.netdui...ntation-needed/

@Segu,
I'm afraid that right now if you want to use any OneWire devices you will have to use FEZ boards.

#738 Unboxing: first impressions?

Posted by Szymon on 18 August 2010 - 12:01 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

I received my frist Netduino that I ordered on August 4 from Proto Advantage and it was shiped next day via Air Mail from Canada. Arrived today so it took 2 weeks to get it to Poland. Thanks god we have European resellers now :-) Small box looks cool and I got the USB cable inside the envelope. Anyone can tell me what was the motivation to use micro USB instead of more common mini USB ? The board itself loosk little empty when you compare it to regular Arduino - I guess if you'd trim all the empty space you could put it on a board half that size (Netduino Nano parhaps?). But overall it looks great. Nice work guys!

#1317 Temperature Sensor?

Posted by Szymon on 26 August 2010 - 09:56 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

The wikipedia article on 1-wire talks about bridge chips. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1-Wire
For example I found this one DS2482-800 that works over I2C. This might be a viable short term solution.

The same article also mentions that UART ports could be used:

If a parallel port is inconvenient or the operating system interferes with the timing, a UART running at 100 kbit/s with a few resistors and special software can produce and sense acceptable 1-wire pulses.

Does anyone you know how to make this work?

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.