Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.

Nathan Baker's Content

There have been 22 items by Nathan Baker (Search limited from 29-March 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#26578 Introducing Netduino Go

Posted by Nathan Baker on 05 April 2012 - 08:37 PM in Netduino Go

This looks great for those who want the modules! :)
I'm glad you added the base shield, but I am curious about whether the Netduino will be shifting more to modules or simply have a module friendly version. I guess my biggest question is, can we expect to see a Netduino Plus with this same speed at any point? Posted Image

#26031 What's in the magical, mysterious, box of crappy surplus?

Posted by Nathan Baker on 27 March 2012 - 10:17 PM in General Discussion

See this post! Posted Image

#25722 120v to 3.3v

Posted by Nathan Baker on 19 March 2012 - 04:42 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

because 10/100 networking only uses 6 wires (3 pairs):

Correction, only uses 2 pairs. Orange/Orange White and Green/Green White are used for transmitting and receiving data. A lot of commercial POE systems actually send power over two pairs to achieve higher power transfer. As a telecom contractor, there were many times where I used the Brown/Brown White and Blue/Blue White pairs as either a second Cat 5 cable, a phone line or two, or to bring both DSL lines into the modem that we used for IPTV service. May not be the standard, but the standard doesn't work when you only have one existing Cat 5E and no options for running a new one.
That being said, always be aware of how the jack is wired on any device you are plugging into in the event that that device has the Brown and Blue pairs grounded or otherwise used. Last thing you want to do is short your power supply out! The CAT 5E standard allows for Blue pair to be used as a voice(standard phone), and you may find networking devices passing this through. Some people may see the possibility to use this as a potential power source for your devices while not paying for the electricity if you have a land line, and while this is possible, I would advice against it.

#25593 Need some I2C help

Posted by Nathan Baker on 16 March 2012 - 05:40 AM in General Discussion

I can confirm that the chip is indeed working as he has it wired, as it worked on my arduino. We just can't seem to figure out exactly how to code this in .NET.

#25534 How much current can you draw from the 5v pin?

Posted by Nathan Baker on 15 March 2012 - 03:16 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Haha, well I guess its funny. I worry about my Netduino Plus ($50) getting too hot, but my dual nVidia GTX580 video cards ($500ea) I allow to run at 196 F.... Maybe I do worry too much, just had issues with my board being so hot i couldn't touch it, although I have no idea what my current draw was that time.

#25476 How much current can you draw from the 5v pin?

Posted by Nathan Baker on 13 March 2012 - 08:56 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Also my project behaves differently when running from a USB charger as opposed to connected to a PC. The timings appear to change on the UART which should be fixed surely or else it wouldn't work properly.

Yes, pretty sure that could be a power issue.

Well it states that the 5v regulator on board is good to 800mA we know that the controller uses about 250 so that leaves 550mA to stay in the current spec. So as long as the on board reg doesn't overheat we're good. The reg will shutdown in the event it gets too hot so it should be fine. perhaps my issues could be insufficient supply decoupling.

I would not be comfortable with a constant 800mA draw, even if its not shutting down, I don't like my board to be getting so warm. This could cause the board to get quite warm. I like to power via 5V rail with either a PC power supply, or a similar stand alone supply, and only use the on-board regulator for small projects.

#25470 Mulitplex Keypad Output

Posted by Nathan Baker on 13 March 2012 - 08:15 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

This is quite the interesting idea, and I don't think I would have ever thought of doing it in this way. I will have to try this out at some point.

#25441 What's in the magical, mysterious, box of crappy surplus?

Posted by Nathan Baker on 13 March 2012 - 02:57 AM in General Discussion

Posted Image I actually haven't touched F@H as should be evident by my lack of WUs. Stupid bitcoins...... Posted Image

#25438 What's in the magical, mysterious, box of crappy surplus?

Posted by Nathan Baker on 13 March 2012 - 02:09 AM in General Discussion

Now to pack this all up as best as possible, OCD engage...

Oh boy, I may not want to open such a perfectly packaged box! Posted Image
Look forward to getting it!

#25255 Mulitplex Keypad Output

Posted by Nathan Baker on 08 March 2012 - 11:52 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

I have to do this sometime in the near future (keep putting it off). When I do, I'll be sure to post an example circuit and code for the PIC version for the benefit of all! Posted Image

#25186 Mulitplex Keypad Output

Posted by Nathan Baker on 07 March 2012 - 07:31 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

I am just guessing at how this keypad is wired, but I'm fairly certain that you won't be able to do this. If you want to reduce the lines you would need to have to encode the key presses. I currently have a 4x3 keypad with 7 terminals. This is because there are 3 connections for the columns and 4 for the rows. In your case, I'm guessing that there is 4 connections for the columns and 4 for the rows. In order to detect the key presses, you need to scan for them. For very short intervals, you need to bring each of the columns, one at a time, high and scan the rows for their state. This will allow you to detect which key in a column is pressed. The image below shows how the connections on my 4x3 keypad correspond to the buttons.

Posted Image

If you want to connect this directly to the Netduino, you are going to need all 8 connections (less if you dont need every key, but what would be the fun in that?).

If you want to use as few pins as possible on your Netduino, then you are going to have to have some sort of external circuit to do this encoding for you. Personally, I would use a cheap PIC and then have that interfaced to the Netduino, though you could definitely use a Netduino mini for the purpose. There are even chips dedicated to this task.

Image was borrowed from an Arduino example found here.

#24619 Packet bombardment

Posted by Nathan Baker on 23 February 2012 - 05:25 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Are you setting things up, or is the client?

If you are, then you could potentially configure this in DNS. As far as accessing the data from the local network, the only thing that I can think of is to run some sort of a gateway service.
One possible route, not sure how difficult this may be for some, is to use a router running something like DD-WRT and running your own custom service on them.

I'm not sure how much help I am being here. Posted Image

#24591 What's in the magical, mysterious, box of crappy surplus?

Posted by Nathan Baker on 23 February 2012 - 03:41 AM in General Discussion

This sounds cool. I would like to take part in this if possible. :)

#24587 How to check if ethernet is connected?

Posted by Nathan Baker on 23 February 2012 - 02:54 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Hrm, this is a good question. I have to do this at some point to make my client more stable, just been lazy. :)

#24584 Dynamically Updated Web Page

Posted by Nathan Baker on 23 February 2012 - 02:04 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

I would suggest you check out some AJAX examples. You would need to have javascript poll the server (netduino) every few seconds to update the data. This would require a page that outputs only the relevant data in some format such as JSON, XML, CSV, etc....

#24583 Packet bombardment

Posted by Nathan Baker on 23 February 2012 - 01:59 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

You could try putting the netduino on its own subnet, but that is only going to help if you don't need to access it locally. You could put the PC on both subnets too if you do.

#24582 IPv6 Support

Posted by Nathan Baker on 23 February 2012 - 01:56 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

I have not heard of any progress in this, though I probably have to paid as much attention to it as I should seeing as I think this is an extremely important thing to be done for all micro-controllers in the next year or so.

#22585 Coaxial Power Connector Size

Posted by Nathan Baker on 08 January 2012 - 06:22 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

And I believe this is type M.

#22581 Beta driver for .NET MF 4.2 RC3+

Posted by Nathan Baker on 08 January 2012 - 02:01 AM in Beta Firmware and Drivers

After some extensive messing, I finally got my vid card issue fixed, which turned out only to be aggravated by any USB device. I have not tried the netduino on my win7 x64 machine yet as I have all of my stuff setup within winXP x86. Will try it again one of these days when I get this magical thing called time. Posted Image

#22562 A few messages to the community as the year comes to an end.

Posted by Nathan Baker on 07 January 2012 - 06:20 AM in General Discussion

If irc is something that you really want to use, I have been idling in the #netduino channel on freenode. Usually nobody is there, but a few people do stop by every now and then. Hopefully there will be an official irc channel someday. :rolleyes:

#22082 Beta driver for .NET MF 4.2 RC3+

Posted by Nathan Baker on 25 December 2011 - 10:42 PM in Beta Firmware and Drivers

Ok, I have been using this driver for a few weeks and have some more feedback. Seems that it is conflicting with my nVidia drivers. Launching a game will cause the graphics driver to crash with in minutes, but only when the netduino is plugged in. Otherwise it will lock up once every so often. When the netduino is not plugged in, I don't seem to be having this problem at all.

#21288 Beta driver for .NET MF 4.2 RC3+

Posted by Nathan Baker on 03 December 2011 - 10:56 AM in Beta Firmware and Drivers

I got a BSOD, and the general long delays during deploys. Switched to dev'ing in a winXP VM for now. From a deployment / stability standpoint, this is working great! From a UI standpoint, I HATE XP. Posted Image

Also, if you flash the bootloader, when you should be plugging in and deploying the netduino firmware, it is not recognized and I had to remove the device and delete this driver for MFDeploy to see the device.

FYI, I'm running Win7 x64 and my devices are Netduino plus.

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.