Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Packet bombardment

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 jwjames83

jwjames83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:13 PM

The N+ is locking up when it's on a *very* busy network and is just being slammed with tons of UDP packets, example: an IPTV multicast transmission. When I pull it off the network (or turn the TV off), it just reboots. Any suggestions? Anything in the works to correct this?

#2 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:55 PM

Hi jwjames83, It is easier to DDoS a small microcontroller like Netduino than, say, a router. The best thing to do is to put your board on a switch and disable incoming multicast/broadcast packets to it. Chris

#3 jwjames83

jwjames83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:02 PM

Not quite an option for some people - could you imagine all the network administrators rolling their eyes when they get that call? Didn't know if the RTIP stack would be better equipped to handle such an environment. Anyway, I'll take that as a no. :) Thanks.

#4 jwjames83

jwjames83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:03 AM

Chris - I can't seem to find the buffer size on the HX1188NL, do you know what it is? I'm wondering where the bottleneck is - the processor or the chip. Thoughts? If it's the chip, I'd be happy to get a Mini and get an enc28J60.

#5 tunachicken27

tunachicken27

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 03:42 AM

The N+ is locking up when it's on a *very* busy network and is just being slammed with tons of UDP packets, example: an IPTV multicast transmission. When I pull it off the network (or turn the TV off), it just reboots.

Any suggestions? Anything in the works to correct this?

Just curious, how many UDP datagrams per sec is it handling without freezing?

@Chris: Is there a way interop can help us in this situation? What about using WIZnet ethernet chip, like FEZ Panda, how much does that help with performance?

#6 jwjames83

jwjames83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted 17 February 2012 - 07:21 PM

Just curious, how many UDP datagrams per sec is it handling without freezing?

Without freezing? Not sure. However, over 30 seconds, I picked up roughly 22,500 UDP packets directly attributed to the IPTV's streaming service. That's about 750 packets per second.

I would hate to lose all broadcast capabilities as the device I need to interface with sends out a UDP beacon once every five seconds.

This is my last hurdle with the project, and then I could move on and expand it even more.

#7 tunachicken27

tunachicken27

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:50 PM

Without freezing? Not sure. However, over 30 seconds, I picked up roughly 22,500 UDP packets directly attributed to the IPTV's streaming service. That's about 750 packets per second.

I would hate to lose all broadcast capabilities as the device I need to interface with sends out a UDP beacon once every five seconds.

This is my last hurdle with the project, and then I could move on and expand it even more.

750 packets per seconds is pretty impressive for software implemented network stack on a controller this small. Have you looked into possibly using interop for added performance boost?

Wiznet also makes an ethernet chip, I think it'll be able to handle much more udp traffic.

#8 jwjames83

jwjames83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:24 AM

Tuna - not sure if you're following. The N+ is just sitting on a network, inadvertently getting hit with an IPTV's stream that is broadcasted on a network & it needs to be able to handle it. The IPTV is shooting out about 750 packets / second and it's (at times) hitting the N+, and it needs to be able to handle it processing and ignoring those packets.

#9 Nathan Baker

Nathan Baker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:59 AM

You could try putting the netduino on its own subnet, but that is only going to help if you don't need to access it locally. You could put the PC on both subnets too if you do.
Posted Image

#10 emg

emg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:02 AM

What about isolate via VLAN?

#11 jwjames83

jwjames83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:23 AM

These are all great solutions, but how can you explain to a potential client "You need to separate your network." or "You need to do this, or do that for our product to work with yours." Not quite a very good selling point IMO. I may need to look to other options rather than the Netduino - although it seemed to be a great solution because I already have .Net code that works on the main framework, so it was an easy port to the MF. I think I'll wait and see what comes in future firmware. Hopefully more attention is paid to the network side of things.

#12 Nathan Baker

Nathan Baker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:25 PM

Are you setting things up, or is the client?

If you are, then you could potentially configure this in DNS. As far as accessing the data from the local network, the only thing that I can think of is to run some sort of a gateway service.
One possible route, not sure how difficult this may be for some, is to use a router running something like DD-WRT and running your own custom service on them.

I'm not sure how much help I am being here. Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.