Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.

Frank's Content

There have been 62 items by Frank (Search limited from 30-March 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#9298 1-WIRE

Posted by Frank on 11 February 2011 - 02:20 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Having received my NP+ today, I've now got the IP connectivity working for starters. Tomorrow's job will be to get 1 wire working. I've had lots of success in the past with the HA7S adapter ( http://www.embeddedd...r-SIP_p_23.html ) so that's what I'll be working with. I'm only going to be working with DS18B20 temperature sensors so that's all my code's going to support but I'll post it as soon as I've got it working.

Phil

How'd this work out for you ?

#9171 Help required with Update firmware to 4.1.1

Posted by Frank on 08 February 2011 - 05:37 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

I also get this.

#8688 socket.Connect failure

Posted by Frank on 30 January 2011 - 11:07 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

If it is the router, how do I proceed?
EDIT: Initial test without the router failed as well.

My router problem was based on sheer ignorance, followed by uninformed tweaking! I solved a multitude of home problems when I did a lot of reading, and eliminated my tweaking. If you failed without the router, one of the many real experts will surely help you. This board has good depth in experience.

#8681 socket.Connect failure

Posted by Frank on 30 January 2011 - 01:54 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

If you configure as static IP and can't ping it anymore, then that's a more general network-related issue (i.e. the router doesn't support static IP clients or there's an address conflict or the gateway/subnet mask are wrong, etc.)

Go back to where you can ping your device, and try running Microsoft's SocketClient sample. That should download a page from the Microsoft website.

Chris

I wholeheartedly agree. I just spent too much time chasing my tail, and it was nothing with the NEtduino or the programming, just a router issue ! And my key was when I couldn't ping the board!

#8102 1-WIRE

Posted by Frank on 22 January 2011 - 03:01 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

I have had very good luck with this unit: http://www.phanderso...mp/onewire.html

I agree ! Mine works well, and the price is hard to beat.

#8039 Wild idea for a group project

Posted by Frank on 21 January 2011 - 02:39 AM in General Discussion

Frank,

Have you looked at the SocketSample sample app which comes with the .NET MF 4.1 SDK? If you pass it that line as a URL, it should "request" that page--and you can just throw away the response. Make sure that you disable the proxy server in that sample.

Chris

Never knew they were there ! Thanks, that should help, AND the new update to the Getting Started with the Internet of Things was just released at Safari and it looks like another great source of stuff I never knew !

Thanks Chris.

#8001 Wild idea for a group project

Posted by Frank on 20 January 2011 - 04:00 PM in General Discussion

Although it is nice that we think of all these complex things to do (send certain data), we still need to figure out how to actually get them to talk to each other, so if this is something that we are seriously doing (i want to!) we first need to decide on a method for the actual communication. Then we can all have a vote on what to send or whatnot.

I'd love to get it simpler than that. I'd dearly love my Netduino, after reading temp from a DS18B20 to simply send my website http://www.xxxxx.xxx/?A1234.

This may seem simple to a lot, but it's stumped me for days. I finally got my website to acccept, and parse and refresh the temp box on the mainpage with that line, but I can't get it sent.

I don't want complexity, and great options. I want just that line. Isn't it possible to have a method for ANY Netduino Plus, that when fed a URL , will send it?

Probably just whining, but after chasing one of my own stupid errors for two days, I'm beat !

#6973 Pinout Cards

Posted by Frank on 04 January 2011 - 11:49 AM in General Discussion

Nicely done. Thanks

#6868 Question about SPI

Posted by Frank on 03 January 2011 - 01:47 AM in General Discussion

If available and if the distance is not too great I would prefer I2C over SPI.

Could you break this down a bit more? Distance being what? If I have a central Netduino in the house, and several scattered around the property, what's the prefered for 50 -200 ft, CAT5 cable?

#6836 Suggestions, guidance,help

Posted by Frank on 02 January 2011 - 04:32 PM in General Discussion

Hi Frank,

I guess you could also implement a web server in your N+ using an HttpListener, and then use an HTML <iframe> on your main web site to show the value(s).

Jim

Learning the words .. so , in effect, I would be pushing the data to my website ?

I'm sitting here wondering about stuff I didn't know existed a day ago, or didn't ever worry about ! LOL

There are so many ways to accomplish putting the data on the webite. And I really want to keep this a blackbox approach.
I guess first I need to think through where I want the data to reside, stay, come from, when someone uses that website.

I cant believe how good it felt using those two lines to see the data on the website! And then realizing it disappeared the next refresh if I didn't add the data in the URL. Geesh, I'm having too much fun. And, I get to babysit two Grandsons today besides, while another one is being delivered !

#6805 Suggestions, guidance,help

Posted by Frank on 01 January 2011 - 09:53 PM in General Discussion

And SUCCESS !!! Added this to my default.aspx.cs page: System.Collections.Specialized.NameValueCollection newdata = Request.QueryString; ct1.Text = newdata.ToString(); I suspect this is just enough rope to hang myself ! LOL

#6804 Suggestions, guidance,help

Posted by Frank on 01 January 2011 - 09:29 PM in General Discussion

Thanks Chris. It always makes life easier to know the right words to use !!! LOL Google and I have already found some neat examples too.

#6803 SerialPort Class not in System.IO.Ports

Posted by Frank on 01 January 2011 - 09:27 PM in General Discussion

I'm going to guess you're powering everything off the Netduino. I had the same problem, until I used a separate 5 vdc supply for the Anderson IC and it worked fine then. Before that I was getting nothing that made sense, rambling. My explanation ? Nope, I have none yet!! I'll bet you are seeing the red LED flicker as it send data too? Mine did UNTIL I added the separate supply. Now it stays bright red, no flickering, but it works fine?

#6799 Custom Data Visualization Components

Posted by Frank on 01 January 2011 - 08:45 PM in General Discussion

I know this one ! Try here Omar for a short trailer. http://www.amazon.co...v_feed_catalog/

#6794 Suggestions, guidance,help

Posted by Frank on 01 January 2011 - 07:18 PM in General Discussion

Geesh, my manners !! Happy New Year to all ! Jim, I've looked at , and contemplated Pachube. It's a far more elegant, and secure, approach to what I want to do, but hey, I've got a website, and I like to mess around with it ! Chris.S It's the mechanics that are killing me right now, I think. This has got to be a common issue many Netduino owners will want to do, especially the N+ people. It's just I think my old fart mind is really muddying up the water ! Basics: I have an Netduino Plus. I can copy and play with the code to make the PHAnderson chip work, and it displays on the PC screen, inside of Visual Studio Express, using debug.Print..... I have a website, like I'm sure many of us do, up on discountasp.net. Nothing but some links, and some pictures. I play there, and it keeps me happy in retirement! I have a textbox on the website screen. Currently displaying time, but hey, I'm playing. I want to have the N+ send the short string of data I have from the DS18B20 via the PHAnderson chip to the website, and display it in that textbox, or really any textbox. I don't understand the mechanics. If the N+ sends http://www.waterboro.com/A650000 , or whatever url format would be more correct, I don't understand how to make that a value that is put into a location on the website that will be presented when the page is looked at. It's that 'process' that recognizes attached data on the url that I just don't understand. To me it's like the "Hello World", and blinky LED examples. Can't this be a blackbox, that the rank beginners can use, and then grow from there? Look at the number of folks doing DS18B20 and other temp ICs. I have to believe many also have a website of some sort. Putting temp,or some value, on a debug screen is ok, putting it on a local LCD screen is ok, but why not where it can be seen from anywhere? Yep, and you should know I have two thermocouples buried near the well, one outside, one in the cellar, one near the pellet stove, etc. That Anderson IC lets me do 7 sensors !!Now if I can just convince the wife to give me more of the SS check each month ........LOL.

#6790 Suggestions, guidance,help

Posted by Frank on 01 January 2011 - 04:58 PM in General Discussion

I just can't wrap my head around this one: I'm running the PHAnderson interface to a N+. Have also run it on a mini and a Netduino.\ And they work fine. If I was happy watching the output window of VS Exp print a value, I would have nothing but smiles. Debug.Print("A"+Tf.ToString() + "F"); I have the N+. I also have a simple website up on discountasp.net. Nothing fancy, some links and a couple of pictures. http://www.waterboro.com. Couldn't get much simpler, VS Web Express. I am putting a textbox on the website, called cellartemp1. Pretty easy to see where I'm going, or trying to go. I'm out of my league on this. It cannot be rocket science to put a single short string into a textbox. It ain't old age, nor Alzheimer's, I just do not understand either side;getting the N+ to send to that url, nor recogonizing it and putting it into the box at the site end. http://www.waterboro.com/Axxxxxxxx is what I want to send, I think. Basically a prefix letter and 8-12 digits, all in one string. Some guidance, suggestions, would be very welcome. :)

#6788 SerialPort Class not in System.IO.Ports

Posted by Frank on 01 January 2011 - 04:41 PM in General Discussion

Had the same issue, and that reference did the trick. Working fine!

#6750 A project suggestion - for Netduino, Plus, or mini.

Posted by Frank on 31 December 2010 - 02:14 PM in General Discussion

Yep, working fine. I received a piece of paper with the schematic on one side, and the other side filled with different sensors and how to hook them up. Plus the information on the PHAnderson site contains a lot of info. I had more problems with the code than anything else, but that's just me. I forgot each Netduino, Plus,Mini has its own set of references. Currently I'm working on a WIndows form that receives the data. All the projects make the Netduino do something, but getting the data back out, NOT using the USB seems to be more difficult. I can see why using the USB when debugging is a problem, but what the code is running without debuging, why can't we use the USB back to a WIndows program? Next on my list is getting that data back to a website. Why can't I have my own website recieve temp data, and post it in a text box? Probably pretty easy on a Plus, but beyond me so far !

#6749 Hacking/recycling toys

Posted by Frank on 31 December 2010 - 02:05 PM in General Discussion

Well, first of all, consider the price, nothing ! Almost all of the newer toys I find in the dump or recycling center work fine, usually dead batteries or stuck buttons. Pry them apart on a table, and it's usually pretty easy, a little logic and playing, to figure out what button does what. The actual processor is often under a small black blob of gunk. From reading articles it looks like the manufacturer buys just the die, not encapsulated, and binds it into the toy PC board himself. Most of the time I just salvage the individual parts, LEDS,switches,gears, for other building. On a few occasions I've wired them into other projects, to make them "talk", although you're stuck with some canned phrases and actions ! I don't think I'd actually BUY a toy for the parts.

#6658 Top 10 at Channel 9

Posted by Frank on 29 December 2010 - 06:03 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Whooooooooo number 9 (or 10).... are they all really that geeky that they count on a zero-index system? wow

What !!! You don't Omar ? < smile >

#6486 A project suggestion - for Netduino, Plus, or mini.

Posted by Frank on 24 December 2010 - 05:54 PM in General Discussion

From what I've been reading, OneWire is actually really hard. The timings are very precise. Even the Adruino playground references Dr. Anderson's chip as an alternative that "reduces the workload inside the Arduino". Some sort of interrupt or other delay in the middle of it and you're sunk.

Although I might just be trying to justify my purchases to myself. :o

I've been bouncing around on my thoughts on this one. Part of me started to be a purist, and stay with the Netduino. Then I ordered the package from PhAnderson, for a couple reasons: one, it's under $10 bucks, and two, I was curious. Go read his site, and you can't help but be intrigued!

A week later, I received a small envelope with a sheet of paper, and a plastic envelop inside. I'm at that stage now. You can service 6 DS18B20s with it. As soon as I get my focus back on the hardware end, I'll give it a spin. Upside says it's cheaper than buying an Arduino, and doesn't seem that it will use more I/O pins on the Netduino.

When you say the OneWire is actually really hard, I chuckled. All the more reason to get it running! But, it made me think , is it really hard, or is it a matter of reliablity and stability ? I'd love for some input from others. I tend to build stuff and forget about it. Is OneWire going to be more, or less. stable with different methods?

It does require soldering. And that apparently stops some folks. It shouldn't but I understand the apprehension.

#6481 Hacking/recycling toys

Posted by Frank on 24 December 2010 - 05:13 PM in General Discussion

Better known in my house as picking the dump . And I do a lot of it ! DC motors, stepping motors, LEDs are plentiful. Lots of time, it's a matter of taking something apart, AND THEN seeing what you can salvage. If I go looking for something particular, it's usually a lost cause. The Xmas toys this year seem to be filled with RC controlled helicopters. Some infrared, but a lot RF in the 2.4 G area. Just seems like something to look for in the broken piles. And an ESPN football table gets you enough LEDS in many shapes and colors, to last a long time ! Thanks for the link. I never thought to look for 'teardown' sites !

#6467 Quick HowTo on Flashing

Posted by Frank on 24 December 2010 - 03:11 PM in Netduino Mini

I agree. Nicely done !

#6415 picoUPS -- tiny uninteruptable power supply

Posted by Frank on 23 December 2010 - 01:43 AM in General Discussion

That's a nice find, Bill. An unfortunate error in the manual reminds me of some of my 'projects'. bulk charing stage I suspect should be bulk charging stage, but I relate to the charing very well. That would certainly allow a Netduino to run for months !

#6413 A project suggestion - for Netduino, Plus, or mini.

Posted by Frank on 23 December 2010 - 01:24 AM in General Discussion

OK, I asked for this ! First of all, CLosedEyeSeeing, I didn't even know there was a Sandbox brewing, so thanks. I have my application in now ! And being new to this, hopefully you can help me explain, and ask, the dumb questions. CW2 & Bill.French are two that I really hoped would pop up. Both of you are at ease with the C# side, and apparently comfortable with the hardware. My initial reaction to CW2's posting was to back up. I know what you're saying, and I can follow most of the code, but if I'm not comfortable doing that, many others are not going to be either. If I start some questions based on your initial answer, would you help me with some explanations ? I want to keep in mind there are some.many on here that say they can't solder. And I suspect more than a few that have no idea what you mean by managed code, native drivers, and a sample application. I think it is possible to breakdown this thread so that anyone, with a Netduino, Plus, or Mini could put together some blocks, hook up a few wires, and see information appear on the PC screen. But, I'd like to back up from even graphing, maybe just a text block, and the numbers appearing. Remember, I'm thinking the "Hello World" side of things at first. Bill French, of course, I'm really angling to be invited to drive a couple miles over to Alfred from Waterboro for some of that sous vide steak, just to get that out in the open ! < smile > On the serious side, I bought the kit from Anderson, and started playing with it. Then I started using the Arduino talking to the Netduino , so I didn't need the Anderson solution. Of course, then I got completely sidetracked and am trying to relearn how to pass data to my own site, so I don't need to rely on Pachube ! I understand that the Netduino, which uses slower managed code, ie C#, doesn't have the response time to support a DS18B20. And I understand that native code to support OneWire is in the plans, and will eventually be 'part of?" the Netduino firmware, and then more easily utilized. So, what to do in the interim. I liked the solution of the Anderson RS232/Onewire converter, but you know, how is that really different or much cheaper, than just buying a Arduino to use with the Netduino? But look at the beginner out there, the first thing he reads is he needs to go out and buy an Arduino, after he's made the choice to go with a Netduino !! So, maybe we can stall a bit, and back up. And yep, Bill, not even a network, just passing data back on ? maybe a USB/TTl adapter to a Windows form with a text box. WHat can it pass back for data? Since this is initially just a step above the Blinky Light example, how about, I don't know, the ref voltage, input from a light sensor, etc? You would have your PC communicating with the Netduino, regardless of version, and updating a textbox on the Windows form. Sure beats up the problems with starting new with Visual Studio Express, the Netduino Family, and a couple wires. And leaves the whole thing open to some great explanations of code, hardware, etc. From there it could go anywhere, adding the Ethernet with the Plus, TTL RS-232 from one part of the house to another, what can you measure in a house with the mini that's useful and easy to do ? Enough from me. Beat me up!

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.