Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Wild idea for a group project

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 JonnyBoats

JonnyBoats

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationPhillips, ME

Posted 09 January 2011 - 10:32 PM

This is a really off the wall idea, but I think it would be really cool if we could pull it off. How about if we picked a date and time and got all the Netduinos with eithernet to connect together via the Internet? We could go for some sort of world's record and heck, maybee end up in the Guiness book. The Netduino Plus is ideal for this as it has the network baked in, but a Netduino with an eithernet shield would work as well. Any takers?

#2 Omar (OZ)

Omar (OZ)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 10:41 PM

This is a really off the wall idea, but I think it would be really cool if we could pull it off.

How about if we picked a date and time and got all the Netduinos with eithernet to connect together via the Internet? We could go for some sort of world's record and heck, maybee end up in the Guiness book.

The Netduino Plus is ideal for this as it has the network baked in, but a Netduino with an eithernet shield would work as well.

Any takers?

What exactly would they do when connected? Maybe cloud computing to share cpu and we could calculate pi with a bunch of netduinos.... I've heard they do this with regular computers, maybe it will work with netduinos.

#3 CW2

CW2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1592 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 09 January 2011 - 10:51 PM

What exactly would they do when connected?

Expose a hidden backdoor baked in the firmware so I can take control of them all and become an Evil Overlord.... muwhahaha (evil laughter)

#4 Omar (OZ)

Omar (OZ)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 11:40 PM

Expose a hidden backdoor baked in the firmware so I can take control of them all and become an Evil Overlord.... muwhahaha (evil laughter)

OH DEAR GOD NO! You'll be able to turn on an LED remotely! :P

#5 bill.french

bill.french

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationPrinceton, NJ

Posted 10 January 2011 - 12:57 AM

This is an interesting idea! Even if all we did was turn on an LED, and pass it around (Jonny sends a signal to my ND+ which turns on an LED, and I send a signal to Omar's which turns on his LED, etc), and captured it on video, it would be VERY interesting.

This is simple and doable. Sign me up. Pick a date!

#6 Omar (OZ)

Omar (OZ)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 01:06 AM

Yes I also sign up, I think it should be on a weekend, it might be difficult to do because of time zones too...

#7 bill.french

bill.french

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationPrinceton, NJ

Posted 10 January 2011 - 01:54 AM

time zones too...

I'm more concerned about firewalls.

#8 Omar (OZ)

Omar (OZ)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 02:13 AM

I'm more concerned about firewalls.

we can use the web server example that is in the netduino plus forums, but people will have to redirect a port from their router to their LAN ip, so we should agree on which one to redirect, but then it can become a security risk... I'm sure we can figure it out, but first we need more people! who else wants to join?

#9 ClosedEyesSeeing

ClosedEyesSeeing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 10 January 2011 - 02:55 AM

but first we need more people! who else wants to join?

I'm game! I'd be interesting to do. :) It would be kind of cool to see if we could have a ring type of pub/sub so we could have one person push the built-in button and send a request to turn on all subscriber LEDs :)

#10 JonnyBoats

JonnyBoats

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationPhillips, ME

Posted 10 January 2011 - 04:10 AM

Have you noticed that when you come here to the forum it shows the number of users online at the bottom of the page? Perhaps we could use a server on the web that displayed a Google map and then each person's Netduino could connect to that server and post their Latitude and Longitude and they would all be displayed as pushpins on the map.

#11 VincentA

VincentA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 10 January 2011 - 08:41 AM

Cool Idea! I'll give it a try on this weekend. TO get this done what we will need is 1.On ND+ send a ping to server every ~1-2 seconds. (Just call a url with get params or consume webservice) 2.If you have external IP address then server will pick up IP address from headers and will plot it on gmap using IP2Location service. 3.If you dont have an external IP then get Lat and long from google and send it in url So we will have a ND+ plotter!!! Now to control the led we can make a random LED blinker. from the URL called get your LED status and blink the LED. Also we can customize it a bit and let the names of ND+ owners show on the gmap!!! How does this one sounds? Vincent

#12 Michel Tol

Michel Tol

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationNL

Posted 10 January 2011 - 07:50 PM

I'm in....

#13 JonnyBoats

JonnyBoats

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationPhillips, ME

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:02 PM

Cool Idea! I'll give it a try on this weekend. TO get this done what we will need is
1.On ND+ send a ping to server every ~1-2 seconds. (Just call a url with get params or consume webservice)
2.If you have external IP address then server will pick up IP address from headers and will plot it on gmap using IP2Location service.
3.If you dont have an external IP then get Lat and long from google and send it in url

So we will have a ND+ plotter!!! Now to control the led we can make a random LED blinker. from the URL called get your LED status and blink the LED. Also we can customize it a bit and let the names of ND+ owners show on the gmap!!!

How does this one sounds?

Vincent

I love it!

#14 Colinmil

Colinmil

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:33 PM

Another option - This is an idea stolen from Cuno Pfister's upcoming book - http://oreilly.com/c.../0636920013037. You can use a site called Pachube.com for free as an aggregation for and internet of devices. You can get s simple temperature sensor for under $6 at Sparkfun - http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9418 and have devices reporting temperature (or something else) from around the globe. I'm setting up a demo like that right now.

#15 Arron Chapman

Arron Chapman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationOregon, USA

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:12 PM

I havn't got N+ but if I can get my wiznet part figured out, I'll go for it. I've also got a server with plenty of extra power and I've build stuff with the Google Maps API before, I'll volunteer to set that stuff up.

When you talk EE use small words, I'm just a Software Developer :)
My Blog/Site and Everything Else

If my post helped you please consider pressing the "Like This" button in the bottom right-hand corner.

Oh my. So many things, so little money!!

#16 Michel Tol

Michel Tol

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationNL

Posted 11 January 2011 - 06:47 AM

As already said I am in... would be nice to see the geological spread of netduino/netduino+ devices around the globe... but who is building what? If you want I build the webservice and aggregate the output in JSON format so it could be easily used in g-maps.

Edited by Michel Tol, 11 January 2011 - 06:48 AM.

#17 georgejh

georgejh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationGlasgow, UK

Posted 11 January 2011 - 12:32 PM

What about having a distributed file server? Let's say every one have it's own content on the microSD. Somebody request a file (let's use the webserver for example) and if the content is not on the local storage then search is any other connected netduino have it, then either redirect the request to that one or (not so good as thing to do) download it locally and serve it. Kind of a Clouduino :) PS We'll need a centralised server to keep list of connected clouduino servers

#18 tamberg

tamberg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 02:21 PM

@bill.french: To access a Netduino behind a firewall check out http://yaler.org/ - the example Web-controlled LED is based on an Arduino but the implementation requires nothing more than an HTTP Socket. Cheers, tamberg

#19 bill.french

bill.french

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationPrinceton, NJ

Posted 11 January 2011 - 04:06 PM

@bill.french: To access a Netduino behind a firewall check out http://yaler.org/

That is cool -- i think for this project, that might be cheating -- I think we'd need to get an ND+ playing the role of Yaler.

#20 VincentA

VincentA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 12 January 2011 - 11:00 AM

What about having a distributed file server?
Let's say every one have it's own content on the microSD.
Somebody request a file (let's use the webserver for example) and if the content is not on the local storage then
search is any other connected netduino have it, then either redirect the request to that one or
(not so good as thing to do) download it locally and serve it.

Kind of a Clouduino :)

PS We'll need a centralised server to keep list of connected clouduino servers

You mean to say ndeer 2 ndeer stuff!!! (sorta peer2peer)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.