Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Hacking/recycling toys

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JonnyBoats

JonnyBoats

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationPhillips, ME

Posted 24 December 2010 - 04:23 PM

As we all know, buying simple things like LEDs at the local Radio Shack (assuming you can even find what you want) can get expensive. Lots of toys these days contain quite sophisticated electronics, and often end up in the trash after a short period of time. If you are into recycling, or just looking for a cheap/free source of neat stuff to play with don’t overlook this source. Anyway I ran across this post http://www.edn.com/b..._connectors.php where they disassembled a $25 electric guitar toy to show what is inside. There are lots of these “teardown” posts on the web where people dissect all kinds of devices. This particular toy appears to have a I2C interface, so perhaps someone could interface it to a Netduino to play guitar music? Even if the toy were DOA, there are still parts like a ‘positive thermal coefficient (PTC) over-current and over-temperature protection’ device that could be recycled into a new project. And what device these days doesn’t have at least one LED in it? Just brainstorming….

#2 Frank

Frank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationNorth Waterboro Maine

Posted 24 December 2010 - 05:13 PM

Better known in my house as picking the dump . And I do a lot of it ! DC motors, stepping motors, LEDs are plentiful. Lots of time, it's a matter of taking something apart, AND THEN seeing what you can salvage. If I go looking for something particular, it's usually a lost cause. The Xmas toys this year seem to be filled with RC controlled helicopters. Some infrared, but a lot RF in the 2.4 G area. Just seems like something to look for in the broken piles. And an ESPN football table gets you enough LEDS in many shapes and colors, to last a long time ! Thanks for the link. I never thought to look for 'teardown' sites !
Retired -stone sculptor -macro photographer- novice but avid Go player - Geek

#3 liudr

liudr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 06:00 AM

I've not taken apart a toy but I get mostly discouraged at the fact that most of them have high-tech parts but are propriatary so no spec sheets. This one tentalizes me most: http://www.target.co...qi_detailbutton It's got dot-matrix display and possibly a large storage for that many sounds and buttons. But I was warned that most parts are propriatary. Have anyone taken apart one of these fancy talking displaying toys?

#4 Frank

Frank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationNorth Waterboro Maine

Posted 31 December 2010 - 02:05 PM

Well, first of all, consider the price, nothing ! Almost all of the newer toys I find in the dump or recycling center work fine, usually dead batteries or stuck buttons. Pry them apart on a table, and it's usually pretty easy, a little logic and playing, to figure out what button does what. The actual processor is often under a small black blob of gunk. From reading articles it looks like the manufacturer buys just the die, not encapsulated, and binds it into the toy PC board himself. Most of the time I just salvage the individual parts, LEDS,switches,gears, for other building. On a few occasions I've wired them into other projects, to make them "talk", although you're stuck with some canned phrases and actions ! I don't think I'd actually BUY a toy for the parts.
Retired -stone sculptor -macro photographer- novice but avid Go player - Geek

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.