Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.

Eric Burdo's Content

There have been 130 items by Eric Burdo (Search limited from 29-April 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#5582 Proper LED Circuit

Posted by Eric Burdo on 01 December 2010 - 02:36 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Color me silly... But why the transistor? Is it because you have an external power source?

#5579 Netduino and ar.drone

Posted by Eric Burdo on 01 December 2010 - 01:46 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Wow... I've never heard of that before... but... it just went to the top of my Christmas list! :lol:

#5560 Netduino Book - Getting Started with the Internet of Things

Posted by Eric Burdo on 01 December 2010 - 01:14 AM in General Discussion

+1 :rolleyes:

I've thought about writing a book on the Netduino myself... but I'd probably do better with a "electronics whiz" partner. Someone who knows the EE theory well.

I'm a software guy, dabbling in hardware. :)

#5505 Netduino Book - Getting Started with the Internet of Things

Posted by Eric Burdo on 29 November 2010 - 11:40 PM in General Discussion

Anyone have a link or details of the book?

#5495 Netdunio TRNG

Posted by Eric Burdo on 29 November 2010 - 05:19 PM in General Discussion

You probably already understand this by now, but I figured it be nice to have a short explanation of the methodology for the non EE people here.

That would be me!

Thanks for the explanation. :)

#5465 MakerShield for the Netduino

Posted by Eric Burdo on 28 November 2010 - 07:16 PM in General Discussion

Just found this in my email...

Posted Image

(click the image to go to MakerShed)

Introducing the MakerShield kit - The ultimate open source prototyping shield for Arduino & Netduino micro-controllers

I might pick on up after Christmas. They take a mini-breadboard, so you can then do solderless breadboard work, right on the shield.

#5464 Out of stock??

Posted by Eric Burdo on 28 November 2010 - 07:11 PM in General Discussion

I think Chris said the Netduino Plus becomes available on the 30th of Nov?

#5454 Reading a photoresistor

Posted by Eric Burdo on 28 November 2010 - 01:04 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

James... a quick check. Are you using the AREF pin? Have you connected that to your voltage output? I've found that if you don't connect the AREF, you get one of two results. A lot of bouncing for values... or a pretty stead MAX value (usually, 1024?)

#5439 Getting Weather Data for your zip-code.

Posted by Eric Burdo on 28 November 2010 - 02:39 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Thanks for both of you for this... I was looking for a project to use on my Netduino Plus. :)

#5398 Simple Logic Probe

Posted by Eric Burdo on 27 November 2010 - 01:18 PM in General Discussion

This recently came up in my RSS feeds... and I thought I'd pass it along here.

It's nothing to do with the Netduino directly... but it's quite handy for your electronics tools collection. :)

http://profmason.com/?p=1426

There is a link in the article of Prof Mason's, going to another view and explanation of the Logic Probe.

Posted Image

#5397 Anyone have a Windows Phone already?

Posted by Eric Burdo on 27 November 2010 - 12:50 PM in General Discussion

No... I do know a few folks who have them though... our local developers group (http://bangordevelopers.com/) is doing a presentation in Jan/Feb about the w7 Phone.

#5276 Charlieplexing: Now uses the TristatePort class

Posted by Eric Burdo on 25 November 2010 - 12:33 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

TristatePort?

I've never seen that... I'll have to look into it.

#5245 Will nduino help me learn electronics?

Posted by Eric Burdo on 24 November 2010 - 01:40 PM in General Discussion

Also, pick up a copy of Make: Electronics (great book). And then follow along this blog (it does all the experiments in the book). http://handsonelectr...s.blogspot.com/

#5213 POV on Netduino Mini

Posted by Eric Burdo on 23 November 2010 - 05:07 PM in Project Showcase

Now that's a neat project... And I agree... you'd need a pretty decent size fan to use a regular Netduino. :)

#3573 Controlling a 7 Segment display, w/out shift registers

Posted by Eric Burdo on 06 October 2010 - 01:11 PM in Project Showcase

Hi CW2 Thanks for that... is there a good place to learn how to calculate the resistors, and learn what would be the optimal resistor for this instance? Based on what you said... I'm more concerned with making sure I don't pull to man mA's from the Netduino, then I am feeding too many to the LED display. Right? I'm a software guy, learning hardware. So some of this stuff is new to me...

#3528 Controlling a 7 Segment display, w/out shift registers

Posted by Eric Burdo on 05 October 2010 - 02:19 PM in Project Showcase

I didn't have any shift registers available, so I wrote this to control the 7 segment display without using a shift register. http://brick-labs.co...shift-register/ Video, picture and source code available.

#3527 Unary Simon

Posted by Eric Burdo on 05 October 2010 - 12:52 PM in Project Showcase

Corey... That's pretty neat. I'm going to have to load that up for the kids to play with a bit... and learn about some of the events more. :)

#3421 Problem with Analog input on Shield

Posted by Eric Burdo on 03 October 2010 - 06:25 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Here's what you're looking for:
http://www.sparkfun....products_id=501

They had those at the local Radio Shack last week. So likely you can find them in your rShack...

They do come in handy. I have a set of those for my multimeter too... handy there also.

#3399 A moment of silence for the fallen electronics...

Posted by Eric Burdo on 03 October 2010 - 12:57 AM in General Discussion

I havent found any! Can you help me?

I'm not real good at finding stuff like this... but...

How many pins is on that ribbon?

You might be able to find a generic one that will work... or, you can sometimes snip the ribbon very carefully, and solder your own ends to it.

#3398 Seven Segment Display with the MC14489 Chip

Posted by Eric Burdo on 03 October 2010 - 12:56 AM in Project Showcase

Thanks Chris, going to be working on a 20X4 LCD display and an ultrasonic range finder from an old Polaroid kit. SensComp sells them now. SensComp

Greg

Those US range finders from old polaroid cameras are popular hacks... I'm going to have to try it some day too... (I'll put it on my "Netduino ToDo list", which seems to be growing every day.)

#3397 Pointless fun: Morse Code Interpreter

Posted by Eric Burdo on 03 October 2010 - 12:53 AM in Project Showcase

Now I'm thinking of making an app which takes text messages and/or e-mails and translates them into morse code ;) That would be awesome and hillarious.

If you ever want a good book to read... The Cuckoo's Egg - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cuckoo's_Egg_(book)

Great book about computer hacking in the mid 80's.

Anyhow... Cliff Stoll (guy in the book) wrote some code to have the computers call his pager when certain events happened... and the page gave out morse code to alert Cliff of the specifics. Kinda neat for something from the 80's (pre-text messaging, email devices, etc).

#3372 where to buy the NDplus ?

Posted by Eric Burdo on 01 October 2010 - 05:28 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Lots of Netduino Pluses will end up in stockings or will otherwise be given as gifts this December...I can't imagine what kinds of cool things people will be building over the holidays!

Chris

Oooh... stocking stuffers... I know a few folks who would like one... and maybe another 2 for me... :D

#3366 where to buy the NDplus ?

Posted by Eric Burdo on 01 October 2010 - 04:15 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

ok ,thanks :(

To my knowledge... they are all sold out. They went pretty quick.

You could either wait (not sure of the release date) or... buy a Netduino, and get a plus later on?

#3313 A moment of silence for the fallen electronics...

Posted by Eric Burdo on 30 September 2010 - 11:34 PM in General Discussion

That's an FFC cable (flat, flexible cable). You may be able to buy an appropriate FFC connector and breakout board to make it more user-friendly...

Yeah... check around. I bought two FFC connectors to fit a DS touch screen I picked up (future Netduino project).

#3297 Netduino vs Plus

Posted by Eric Burdo on 30 September 2010 - 07:37 PM in General Discussion

P.S. Unless someone knows where I can nab a public beta, I'd grab it right now. :)

I don't know of any. I had to hunt around to get mine.

Outside of the SD card and network port... they are the same. Same pins, same .net MF, etc.

If you want to get started now.... then expand later, buy a Netduino now, and get a Plus when they are released to the public. You can take everything you've done on the Netduino, and run it on the Plus.

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.