Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Netduino Book - Getting Started with the Internet of Things

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 dm3281

dm3281

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 03:22 PM

I am wondering if this book is still planned to be offered from electronic download soon? I cannot find any reference to this book other than in a previous post. I cannot find anything on Oreilly's site nor Amazon's?

#2 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 09 November 2010 - 03:54 PM

dm3281, I believe that it should be posted by late November. I'll post here on the forums when it's up. Chris

#3 phineasjw

phineasjw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 06:13 PM

Well it doesn't get much later in November than the 29th (Ok the 30th is later). Very anxious to check out this book. Any news about its release? I have about 400 lines of Arduino Code for an equipment network project I have developed and was hoping this book would help ease the porting process some. Looking to move to the Netduino Plus.
Get behind early and you'll be ahead of schedule!

#4 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 29 November 2010 - 09:26 PM

Well it doesn't get much later in November than the 29th (Ok the 30th is later). Very anxious to check out this book. Any news about its release?

I'll drop someone at O'Reilly a note to see what their schedule is looking like...

Chris

#5 Eric Burdo

Eric Burdo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 11:40 PM

Anyone have a link or details of the book?
~ Eric D. Burdo ~ http://brick-labs.com/

Today LED's, tomorrow, the world!!! Well, OK, maybe servos.

#6 José Ángel

José Ángel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 30 November 2010 - 10:49 PM

Anyone have a link or details of the book?

+1 :rolleyes:

#7 Eric Burdo

Eric Burdo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 01:14 AM

+1 :rolleyes:

I've thought about writing a book on the Netduino myself... but I'd probably do better with a "electronics whiz" partner. Someone who knows the EE theory well.

I'm a software guy, dabbling in hardware. :)
~ Eric D. Burdo ~ http://brick-labs.com/

Today LED's, tomorrow, the world!!! Well, OK, maybe servos.

#8 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 01 December 2010 - 02:53 AM

Well it doesn't get much later in November than the 29th (Ok the 30th is later). Very anxious to check out this book. Any news about its release?

Okay, it looks like the rough cut of the book will be published to coincide with the Netduino Plus launch. Should be online by early next week.

Chris

#9 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 03 December 2010 - 05:39 PM

O'Reilly has just published the "Rough Cut" of this new book. Getting Started with the Internet of Things by Cuno Pfister http://my.safaribook...-/9781449301972 Featuring Netduino Plus, Pachube, .NET Micro Framework, and the Internet of Things. The first eight chapters are up now. Cool. Chris

#10 Brian Jepson

Brian Jepson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationKingston, RI

Posted 03 December 2010 - 07:18 PM

Hah! I was just coming over to announce that it was here. Now I'm wondering how you found out about this before me. :-)

O'Reilly has just published the "Rough Cut" of this new book.

Getting Started with the Internet of Things by Cuno Pfister
http://my.safaribook...-/9781449301972

Featuring Netduino Plus, Pachube, .NET Micro Framework, and the Internet of Things.

The first eight chapters are up now. Cool.

Chris

#11 Frank

Frank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationNorth Waterboro Maine

Posted 03 December 2010 - 09:20 PM

Haven't been over to Safari since I retired ! The rough cuts is a good idea, and it certainly is a quick access, low price way of getting it out to the public ! Took me under three minutes to pay for it, download the pdf, and get reading. Ain't technology nice, eh !
Retired -stone sculptor -macro photographer- novice but avid Go player - Geek

#12 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 03 December 2010 - 09:26 PM

Hah! I was just coming over to announce that it was here. Now I'm wondering how you found out about this before me. :-)

It's a highly anticipated book :)

Quick follow-up...

The main page for the book is now online in the O'Reilly Catalog (front cover, "about the author: Dr. Cuno Pfister", etc.)
http://oreilly.com/c...g/0636920013037

Chris

#13 Brian Jepson

Brian Jepson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationKingston, RI

Posted 18 January 2011 - 09:39 PM

It's a highly anticipated book :)

Thanks, Chris!

And here's an update on the book; we've just submitted another couple of chapters to Safari Books Online, and the Rough Cut should be updated in 3-4 days.

Also, we're looking for technical reviewers to help us with the book by providing feedback and suggestions. We'll give technical reviewers early access to the book, and a copy of the book when it's published. If you're interested, PM me and I'll give you more details.

- Brian

#14 dargs

dargs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 12:36 PM

Hi, First time playing with the Netduino today, and so I got the Getting Started' Rough cut... Got the Blink example working easily enough, and configured the IP setup ok too. But got stuck at: downloading 'Gsiot.PachubeClient' from http://www.gsiot.info/download/.

At that site, I can't see where to download the Gsiot.PachubeClient zip file. I can see some example code there, but don't know what to do with it!

I'll keep reading and guessing, but thought if I can't work it out, maybe others can't either... has the download gone, or am I missing something obvious ?

Thanks

dargs

Thanks, Chris!

And here's an update on the book; we've just submitted another couple of chapters to Safari Books Online, and the Rough Cut should be updated in 3-4 days.

Also, we're looking for technical reviewers to help us with the book by providing feedback and suggestions. We'll give technical reviewers early access to the book, and a copy of the book when it's published. If you're interested, PM me and I'll give you more details.

- Brian

#15 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 09 April 2011 - 02:31 PM

Hi dargs,

Hi, First time playing with the Netduino today, and so I got the Getting Started' Rough cut... Got the Blink example working easily enough, and configured the IP setup ok too. But got stuck at: downloading 'Gsiot.PachubeClient' from http://www.gsiot.info/download/.

I believe that the code is written out on the website instead of being uploaded as a zip file.

Is this what you're looking for?

Welcome to the Netduino community,

Chris

#16 richie4540

richie4540

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 01:55 PM

Hi dargs,

I believe that the code is written out on the website instead of being uploaded as a zip file.

Is this what you're looking for?

Welcome to the Netduino community,

Chris

Chris, i am also trying to understand how this is implemented. while the code may be posted in the link. it does not follow the text of the instructions or show how to make the code into the required reference file and load it into the visual express environment.

thanks in advance for your help, richie

#17 richie4540

richie4540

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 02:31 PM

i tried this process to turn the pasted code into a dll file but all i got was a bunch of errors when i tried to build the file- http://www.homeandle...harp_s16p1.html THIS is one of the errors ---------- Error 6 The type or namespace name 'HttpWebResponse' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\my documents\visual studio 2010\Projects\Gsiot.PachubeClient\Gsiot.PachubeClient\Gsiot.PachubeClient.cs 78 43 Gsiot.PachubeClient regards richie

#18 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 18 April 2011 - 08:14 PM

Hi richie4540, Be sure to add the System.Http assembly as a reference into your project. [Project menu > Add Reference] Does that fix the compiler error for you? Chris

#19 richie4540

richie4540

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 12:03 AM

Hi richie4540,

Be sure to add the System.Http assembly as a reference into your project. [Project menu > Add Reference]

Does that fix the compiler error for you?

Chris

Chris, thanks, i did work it out in the end, as it was past midnight, i was a bit slow to see the reference to system.http, but the process posted in the link above to create the dll worked well- i just had to remember to make sure the settings were set to usb cable and not to use the microsoft emulator.

regards Richard

#20 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 18 May 2011 - 11:07 PM

Quick updates:

• This book has been completed. The final version, with illustrations, is available through Safari now.
  • We have posted final updates to the sample chapters on the downloads page.
  • Phyiscal copies of the book should be in warehouses in early June. So if you pre-ordered a copy, you should get it soon!
Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.