Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Anyone have a Windows Phone already?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 27 November 2010 - 07:03 AM

We're thinking of building some Windows Phone + Netduino Plus projects (which would also work with the Ethernet shield). Do any of you already have one of the new Windows Phones? Chris

#2 Fred

Fred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 27 November 2010 - 08:12 AM

I decided that Windows Phone is too locked down. I'd been using them since the beginning and developed a few Windows Mobile apps for my own use, but have now moved to Android. I like the MS development platform and as a professional C# developer it's easier for me than Java, but if you can't do useful stuff like respond to missed calls and send SMS messages I'm not interested. Of course, a WP7 / Netduino Plus app is a great idea and should demo many of the concepts people will want to implement. If I get up and running with Android I'd be happy to port the WP7 front end over. (Currently at the "bought a book and installed the tools" stage. Not actually had time to write anything yet.)

#3 AlfredBr

AlfredBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • LocationConnecticut, USA

Posted 27 November 2010 - 11:46 AM

Yes, I have one (LG Optimus 7). I've built a few simple apps for it too.

#4 Eric Burdo

Eric Burdo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 12:50 PM

No... I do know a few folks who have them though... our local developers group (http://bangordevelopers.com/) is doing a presentation in Jan/Feb about the w7 Phone.
~ Eric D. Burdo ~ http://brick-labs.com/

Today LED's, tomorrow, the world!!! Well, OK, maybe servos.

#5 Charles

Charles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 02:03 PM

Ok... Netduino is a new product... I get that. If you want it to grow though, why would you tie apps firstly to the most uncommon and least understood mobile phone platform out there? Why not work on Android of iOS first, where you might actually attract some new developers?

#6 bill.french

bill.french

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationPrinceton, NJ

Posted 27 November 2010 - 02:09 PM

Well, I think it's a great idea. I probably won't get a windows phone any time soon, simply because i'm still mad at how terrible pocket IE was all the way up through window mobile 6.5 ... I mean, it's like they were intentionally being cruel to the users -- but if I saw something cool going on with visual studio, c#, and a netduino plus, i could be swayed. I mean, my droid is nearly a year old now, if you can imagine someone keeping a phone for so long!

#7 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 27 November 2010 - 06:21 PM

Ok... Netduino is a new product... I get that.

If you want it to grow though, why would you tie apps firstly to the most uncommon and least understood mobile phone platform out there?

Why not work on Android of iOS first, where you might actually attract some new developers?

The goal is to write a sample project which works in both places using the same C# code. But we could certainly write an iPhone app in C# too (using Mono). That would be cool. [We have WebOS phones, Windows Mobile phones, iPhones, etc. in the labs.]

But mostly, we got new Windows Phones and wanted an excuse to write some code for them :)

Chris

#8 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 27 November 2010 - 06:25 PM

Well, I think it's a great idea. I probably won't get a windows phone any time soon, simply because i'm still mad at how terrible pocket IE was all the way up through window mobile 6.5 ... I mean, it's like they were intentionally being cruel to the users -- but if I saw something cool going on with visual studio, c#, and a netduino plus, i could be swayed. I mean, my droid is nearly a year old now, if you can imagine someone keeping a phone for so long!

Bill, I'm totally on board with you there. The old Pocket IE browser was "workable" but when I got my first iPhone I couldn't stand to use Pocket IE anymore. The new IE on my Samsung Focus is much, much better.

Chris

#9 James

James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 05:58 AM

Hey Chris, I'm interested in sharing code between Netduino and WP7 too. Hit me up if you want some help testing. My first project is communication between WP7 & a Netduino via the WiFly shield.

#10 Michel Trahan

Michel Trahan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 01:45 AM

Imagine this setup : - a FPV quadcopter equiped with long range radio transmitter/receiver - a ground station with follow the drone equipment (up to 15km) - receiving video signal and telemetry - recording both - sending video signal and telemetry to windows phone - receive control information from phone - Transmit control information to drone - a windows phone to view the FPV video from the drone and control it ! You might need a couple microprocessor in the drone and a bigger system in the base station (multimedia based) First, get the quadcopter built ...
Started with C in 1985, moved to Vb3 ... to vb6 and stopped. Now started with .Net and learning C# and VB.net and wishing VB.net was on MF !

#11 awaiK

awaiK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 03:22 PM

I own a WP7 and would love to see some netduino projects involving WP7.

#12 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationBreda, the Netherlands

Posted 23 March 2011 - 03:24 PM

Got a HD2 here with WM6.5 :)
"Fact that I'm a moderator doesn't make me an expert in things." Stefan, the eternal newb!
My .NETMF projects: .NETMF Toolbox / Gadgeteer Light / Some PCB designs

#13 Fred

Fred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 23 March 2011 - 04:05 PM

6.5??? What are you thinking? You can definitely get a nice stable Android build on the HD2, and I'm pretty sure WM7 is possible too. Get flashing!!

#14 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationBreda, the Netherlands

Posted 23 March 2011 - 05:26 PM

LOL I like the phone the way it is. WM7 is possible, I know that. Got a dualboot for some time as well, but as windows developer I like WM6.5 like it is :P
"Fact that I'm a moderator doesn't make me an expert in things." Stefan, the eternal newb!
My .NETMF projects: .NETMF Toolbox / Gadgeteer Light / Some PCB designs

#15 José Ángel

José Ángel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 23 March 2011 - 08:56 PM

The goal is to write a sample project which works in both places using the same C# code. But we could certainly write an iPhone app in C# too (using Mono). That would be cool. [We have WebOS phones, Windows Mobile phones, iPhones, etc. in the labs.]

But mostly, we got new Windows Phones and wanted an excuse to write some code for them :)

Chris

What kind of project? I think that is going to be difficult to run a project inside the Windows Phone 7 with the same code that in Arduino because Windows Phone 7 is very restricted :(

#16 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 23 March 2011 - 11:33 PM

Hi José,

What kind of project? I think that is going to be difficult to run a project inside the Windows Phone 7 with the same code that in Arduino because Windows Phone 7 is very restricted :(

We're working on a new commercial product line using .NET MF and will be sharing 10,000's of lines of code between the .NET MF hardware and Windows Phone. Right now, we're compiling some of that code against .NET CF 3.5 as well.

Windows Phone won't allow GPIO access or direct sockets (yet), but it can share a ton of support classes...

Chris

#17 freds

freds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 12:04 AM

Hi José,

We're working on a new commercial product line using .NET MF and will be sharing 10,000's of lines of code between the .NET MF hardware and Windows Phone. Right now, we're compiling some of that code against .NET CF 3.5 as well.

Windows Phone won't allow GPIO access or direct sockets (yet), but it can share a ton of support classes...

Chris

How about we just blow away windows phone 7 and replace it with .NET MF LOL?

#18 acetate

acetate

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 26 March 2011 - 06:03 AM

I have a simple WP7 app talking to my Netduino Plus. I just used the simple web server in the Project Showcase and used the "Simple Response" to send JSON back to the WP7. I then just added JSON.NET to the WP7 project and viola, data transfer. At this point it just reads 7 sensors (temp, water flow, heater, alcohol) and allows control of the heater. After I got use to XAML and the threading hell with background threads it worked rather nice. All I can say is there are a lot of bad examples.

#19 José Ángel

José Ángel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 28 March 2011 - 08:57 PM

Hi José,

Chris

WoW, I didn't know that kind of compatibility between these two platforms! I'll wait for you project to learn more about that :rolleyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.