Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.

Frank's Content

There have been 62 items by Frank (Search limited from 07-June 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#8039 Wild idea for a group project

Posted by Frank on 21 January 2011 - 02:39 AM in General Discussion

Frank,

Have you looked at the SocketSample sample app which comes with the .NET MF 4.1 SDK? If you pass it that line as a URL, it should "request" that page--and you can just throw away the response. Make sure that you disable the proxy server in that sample.

Chris

Never knew they were there ! Thanks, that should help, AND the new update to the Getting Started with the Internet of Things was just released at Safari and it looks like another great source of stuff I never knew !

Thanks Chris.

#8001 Wild idea for a group project

Posted by Frank on 20 January 2011 - 04:00 PM in General Discussion

Although it is nice that we think of all these complex things to do (send certain data), we still need to figure out how to actually get them to talk to each other, so if this is something that we are seriously doing (i want to!) we first need to decide on a method for the actual communication. Then we can all have a vote on what to send or whatnot.

I'd love to get it simpler than that. I'd dearly love my Netduino, after reading temp from a DS18B20 to simply send my website http://www.xxxxx.xxx/?A1234.

This may seem simple to a lot, but it's stumped me for days. I finally got my website to acccept, and parse and refresh the temp box on the mainpage with that line, but I can't get it sent.

I don't want complexity, and great options. I want just that line. Isn't it possible to have a method for ANY Netduino Plus, that when fed a URL , will send it?

Probably just whining, but after chasing one of my own stupid errors for two days, I'm beat !

#6127 Two applicable articles

Posted by Frank on 15 December 2010 - 07:03 PM in General Discussion

Two articles in The Economist that certainly reflect the Netduino spirit ! I must have thought about this group and the Netduino 40 times while reading these. http://www.economist...internet_things http://www.economist...FTOKEN=60670936

#6658 Top 10 at Channel 9

Posted by Frank on 29 December 2010 - 06:03 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Whooooooooo number 9 (or 10).... are they all really that geeky that they count on a zero-index system? wow

What !!! You don't Omar ? < smile >

#6836 Suggestions, guidance,help

Posted by Frank on 02 January 2011 - 04:32 PM in General Discussion

Hi Frank,

I guess you could also implement a web server in your N+ using an HttpListener, and then use an HTML <iframe> on your main web site to show the value(s).

Jim

Learning the words .. so , in effect, I would be pushing the data to my website ?

I'm sitting here wondering about stuff I didn't know existed a day ago, or didn't ever worry about ! LOL

There are so many ways to accomplish putting the data on the webite. And I really want to keep this a blackbox approach.
I guess first I need to think through where I want the data to reside, stay, come from, when someone uses that website.

I cant believe how good it felt using those two lines to see the data on the website! And then realizing it disappeared the next refresh if I didn't add the data in the URL. Geesh, I'm having too much fun. And, I get to babysit two Grandsons today besides, while another one is being delivered !

#6790 Suggestions, guidance,help

Posted by Frank on 01 January 2011 - 04:58 PM in General Discussion

I just can't wrap my head around this one: I'm running the PHAnderson interface to a N+. Have also run it on a mini and a Netduino.\ And they work fine. If I was happy watching the output window of VS Exp print a value, I would have nothing but smiles. Debug.Print("A"+Tf.ToString() + "F"); I have the N+. I also have a simple website up on discountasp.net. Nothing fancy, some links and a couple of pictures. http://www.waterboro.com. Couldn't get much simpler, VS Web Express. I am putting a textbox on the website, called cellartemp1. Pretty easy to see where I'm going, or trying to go. I'm out of my league on this. It cannot be rocket science to put a single short string into a textbox. It ain't old age, nor Alzheimer's, I just do not understand either side;getting the N+ to send to that url, nor recogonizing it and putting it into the box at the site end. http://www.waterboro.com/Axxxxxxxx is what I want to send, I think. Basically a prefix letter and 8-12 digits, all in one string. Some guidance, suggestions, would be very welcome. :)

#6805 Suggestions, guidance,help

Posted by Frank on 01 January 2011 - 09:53 PM in General Discussion

And SUCCESS !!! Added this to my default.aspx.cs page: System.Collections.Specialized.NameValueCollection newdata = Request.QueryString; ct1.Text = newdata.ToString(); I suspect this is just enough rope to hang myself ! LOL

#6804 Suggestions, guidance,help

Posted by Frank on 01 January 2011 - 09:29 PM in General Discussion

Thanks Chris. It always makes life easier to know the right words to use !!! LOL Google and I have already found some neat examples too.

#6794 Suggestions, guidance,help

Posted by Frank on 01 January 2011 - 07:18 PM in General Discussion

Geesh, my manners !! Happy New Year to all ! Jim, I've looked at , and contemplated Pachube. It's a far more elegant, and secure, approach to what I want to do, but hey, I've got a website, and I like to mess around with it ! Chris.S It's the mechanics that are killing me right now, I think. This has got to be a common issue many Netduino owners will want to do, especially the N+ people. It's just I think my old fart mind is really muddying up the water ! Basics: I have an Netduino Plus. I can copy and play with the code to make the PHAnderson chip work, and it displays on the PC screen, inside of Visual Studio Express, using debug.Print..... I have a website, like I'm sure many of us do, up on discountasp.net. Nothing but some links, and some pictures. I play there, and it keeps me happy in retirement! I have a textbox on the website screen. Currently displaying time, but hey, I'm playing. I want to have the N+ send the short string of data I have from the DS18B20 via the PHAnderson chip to the website, and display it in that textbox, or really any textbox. I don't understand the mechanics. If the N+ sends http://www.waterboro.com/A650000 , or whatever url format would be more correct, I don't understand how to make that a value that is put into a location on the website that will be presented when the page is looked at. It's that 'process' that recognizes attached data on the url that I just don't understand. To me it's like the "Hello World", and blinky LED examples. Can't this be a blackbox, that the rank beginners can use, and then grow from there? Look at the number of folks doing DS18B20 and other temp ICs. I have to believe many also have a website of some sort. Putting temp,or some value, on a debug screen is ok, putting it on a local LCD screen is ok, but why not where it can be seen from anywhere? Yep, and you should know I have two thermocouples buried near the well, one outside, one in the cellar, one near the pellet stove, etc. That Anderson IC lets me do 7 sensors !!Now if I can just convince the wife to give me more of the SS check each month ........LOL.

#2629 Stay close to your computer (or come to MakerFaire)...

Posted by Frank on 22 September 2010 - 09:57 PM in General Discussion

Oz-solutions, I am convince these guys do go in every morning and laugh. Laugh about enjoying the day and suppying more creative ideas and products. They are plainly having too much fun ! Having retired from a large corporation, I am green with envy for them.

#8681 socket.Connect failure

Posted by Frank on 30 January 2011 - 01:54 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

If you configure as static IP and can't ping it anymore, then that's a more general network-related issue (i.e. the router doesn't support static IP clients or there's an address conflict or the gateway/subnet mask are wrong, etc.)

Go back to where you can ping your device, and try running Microsoft's SocketClient sample. That should download a page from the Microsoft website.

Chris

I wholeheartedly agree. I just spent too much time chasing my tail, and it was nothing with the NEtduino or the programming, just a router issue ! And my key was when I couldn't ping the board!

#8688 socket.Connect failure

Posted by Frank on 30 January 2011 - 11:07 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

If it is the router, how do I proceed?
EDIT: Initial test without the router failed as well.

My router problem was based on sheer ignorance, followed by uninformed tweaking! I solved a multitude of home problems when I did a lot of reading, and eliminated my tweaking. If you failed without the router, one of the many real experts will surely help you. This board has good depth in experience.

#6788 SerialPort Class not in System.IO.Ports

Posted by Frank on 01 January 2011 - 04:41 PM in General Discussion

Had the same issue, and that reference did the trick. Working fine!

#6803 SerialPort Class not in System.IO.Ports

Posted by Frank on 01 January 2011 - 09:27 PM in General Discussion

I'm going to guess you're powering everything off the Netduino. I had the same problem, until I used a separate 5 vdc supply for the Anderson IC and it worked fine then. Before that I was getting nothing that made sense, rambling. My explanation ? Nope, I have none yet!! I'll bet you are seeing the red LED flicker as it send data too? Mine did UNTIL I added the separate supply. Now it stays bright red, no flickering, but it works fine?

#6467 Quick HowTo on Flashing

Posted by Frank on 24 December 2010 - 03:11 PM in Netduino Mini

I agree. Nicely done !

#6868 Question about SPI

Posted by Frank on 03 January 2011 - 01:47 AM in General Discussion

If available and if the distance is not too great I would prefer I2C over SPI.

Could you break this down a bit more? Distance being what? If I have a central Netduino in the house, and several scattered around the property, what's the prefered for 50 -200 ft, CAT5 cable?

#4207 Practical beginner questions

Posted by Frank on 25 October 2010 - 03:32 PM in General Discussion

Relying on old memories: Using the Netduino with the USB. I have a separate 5VDC 1 amp supply, encapsulated, very solid and used in older TTL days on production equipment. WHy? Because I have a box of them ! A CD4069, output of one gate to a 2N2222A, running a small DC motor. Motor draws 95 ma running, don't know startup draw. Playing with stuff like this, trying out motors, gearing, just playing. It's been a long time ! int x; for (x = 0; x < 10; x++) { led.Write(false); Thread.Sleep(20); led.Write(true); Thread.Sleep(100); } Question: Tie my grounds together? Both from the Netduino board and the separate 5VDC supply? Question: Base resistor for the 2N2222? Not using one, and if I run the motor steady the 4069 gets a little toasty. Runnning the loop from above, and it goes all night not getting warm. For the amusing part, I spent too too long yesterday before I noticed the pinout from the Radio Shack package for the RS 4069 was different than the normal pinout from Google searches. This is a part from 30 years ago. I'm amazed the 4069 took the abuse and grief I subjected it to, before I noticed the pinout difference and changed it.

#4269 Practical beginner questions

Posted by Frank on 27 October 2010 - 01:09 AM in General Discussion

Ok, answering one of my own questions, a little thought and I added a 1k resistor from the 4069 and the base. Was not a problem, except when the gear bound up a bit, and the motor draw and I assume the base emiter current got too high.

#4451 Practical beginner questions

Posted by Frank on 04 November 2010 - 02:03 AM in General Discussion

Thanks for the answer ! Feels funny to be messing with transistors after many years. I suppose I can throw way all my ceramic tube sockets, eh ?!

#6973 Pinout Cards

Posted by Frank on 04 January 2011 - 11:49 AM in General Discussion

Nicely done. Thanks

#6415 picoUPS -- tiny uninteruptable power supply

Posted by Frank on 23 December 2010 - 01:43 AM in General Discussion

That's a nice find, Bill. An unfortunate error in the manual reminds me of some of my 'projects'. bulk charing stage I suspect should be bulk charging stage, but I relate to the charing very well. That would certainly allow a Netduino to run for months !

#2683 Netduino Speedometer?

Posted by Frank on 23 September 2010 - 04:12 PM in General Discussion

My idea is to make a digital speedometer for a vehicle by tapping into the vehicle speed sensor (VSS) feed from the powertrain control module (PCM) to the instrument cluster. The VSS on the transmission sends a digital signal to the PCM. Most applications vary, but the vehicle I'll be working with has a VSS that sends out 4000 pulses per mile.

Everything since 1993 ? has an ODBII connector, usually under the dash above the driver's right knee. Monitors general Obd-2 data: Fuel system (open/closed loop status), Engine load, Coolant temperature, Manifold Pressure, Engine Rpm, Vehicle speed, Timing advance, Intake air temperature, Intake air flow rate, Throttle position, Secondary air status.

Google OBDII , and you'll find a gaggle of articles and projects about interfacing.

#5082 Netduino RS232

Posted by Frank on 20 November 2010 - 01:25 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Got it working fine, using a CD4050 . Never misses a beat! Note: If you tie down the unused inputs, it never misses a beat. Took me a while to remember that one ! Now I can sit in Hyperterminal , send ASCII codes to get what I want , then duplicate it in code. Thanks for all the advice.

#4989 Netduino RS232

Posted by Frank on 16 November 2010 - 10:45 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

Awesome; thanks for posting about this. That's a great option as well.

And yes, you'll want to get a 3.3V version if you can. The Netduino's microcontroller can accept 5V signals--but it sends 3.3V signals. Many "5V TTL" converters can understand 3.3V signals, but some need higher voltage signals.

Chris

Thanks to AlfredBr and Chris for good answers. My order for the cable is on the way from Adafruit!.
Nothing against Sparkfun, but I've used them twice and I thought I'd pass the wealth around to more of the
firms.

#4980 Netduino RS232

Posted by Frank on 16 November 2010 - 08:00 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

While the following works for the mini, am I correct that this DOES NOT work for the Netduino and the Plus ?

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.