Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

Jump to content

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.


Member Since 22 Sep 2012
Offline Last Active Dec 17 2012 01:47 PM

Posts I've Made

In Topic: Windows 8

28 November 2012 - 05:30 PM

We'll just have to disagree. 2010 has many bugs, as does any application of the size and scope of Visual Studio. One such bug includes similar behavior to what you have reported experiencing in VS2012 (which btw is the toolbox and designer, regardless of the fact you are writing raw XAML, the designer still updates in the background). However, 2012 includes many bug *fixes*, resolving open issues within 2010. Enjoy the rest of your week!

In Topic: Windows 8

28 November 2012 - 01:00 PM

I do not doubt you've experienced what you say. What I'm driving at is the claim 2012 is less stable than 2010 is inaccurate. 2010 experiences similar issues and many many more.

In Topic: Windows 8

27 November 2012 - 09:43 PM

I say "decent" because it's clearly *less* stable than VS2010, especially when working with XAML sources. Often the IDE hangs, and you must close a service via Task Manager.

Nonsense. I now use VS2012 almost exclusively where possible. The stability and performance is leaps and bounds over 2010.
2010 Designer would hang on XAML plenty, it's the toolbox. I suggest if patience was applied the toolbox would complete it's load after a few minutes, with no need to kill the process. I also suggest that it would be worthwhile effort to investigate your currently installed extensions to ensure one of them is not the culprit.

The only thing holding me back going 100% VS2012 in my personal work, is .NET MF with Netduino.

Any further word on that SDK for 4.3 beta? Perhaps I should ask in the 4.3beta thread. ;)

In Topic: DPWS Substitute

08 November 2012 - 04:56 PM

Thanks for the ideas.

In Topic: Out of Memory - Debug.GC(true) says I'm not?!

24 October 2012 - 12:15 AM

It must have been as Chris described. I was using a Queue collection. Each request would generate a response object which was placed in the queue to be sent over the socket. It would be dequeued and sent. The queue was monitored with a while loop on it's own thread. Apparently the Queue Collection and the short lived queued objects where the culprit. Instead I decided to wrap the send logic in a lock. No more queue, no more object to hold the request, no more out of memory problems. The reported available memory is now doubled. Not only that, but the logic is far more responsive. I'm new to the gadget world. Managing memory this closely has never been a concern. I'm learning to be thrifty. Thanks for your help.

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.