5V/12V Relay at 30A - General Discussion - Netduino Forums

Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

5V/12V Relay at 30A

relay relays

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SteveAndrews

SteveAndrews

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationOrange County, CA

Posted 16 August 2013 - 09:38 AM

I have been looking for a 5V triggered relay - for a Netduino Pro 2 - that can (pass?) 12V DC at 30 amps. I saw the SainSmart boards, but they are only rated to 10 amps. Any thoughts on where I might find such a relay or relay board? Also, am I asking the right question? :-)

Thanks!

#2 NooM

NooM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 16 August 2013 - 11:03 AM

30 amps is a lot (of heat) - so i dont think relays can handle this well, the traces on the pcb may just melt.

maybe some solid state relay can handle that, look at mouser.com or shops like that wich have tons of parts.

may i ask what your planning todo?

#3 Paul Newton

Paul Newton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationBerkshire, UK

Posted 17 August 2013 - 08:00 AM

HI Steve,

I just googled "30A 5V Relay", I found this module on Amazon (UK) for £11.29.

It has an opto-isolator built in so that it can be driven directly from a micro-controller like the Netduino.

The relay contacts are rated at 30Amps 30VDC.

I have not used this part myself, but it looks like it would to the job.

The module above has screw terminals, depending on your application, you might be better off with blade connectors. Many of the relays I saw in my search had these.

Automotive relays might also be a good choice for you since there are lots of high current loads in a vehicle, but you will almost certainly need 12V to drive the coil.

There are always lots of things to consider!

Hope this helps - Paul

#4 SteveAndrews

SteveAndrews

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 08:08 PM

I search as well, for quite awhile, but I'm new to this and I didn't want to make a mistake on something I haven't learned yet.

That relay looks promising, thanks!

#5 SteveAndrews

SteveAndrews

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:57 AM

Just a follow-up. I ended up using the Sainsmart 4 relay board to pass 12V to two additional relays that can handle the load. Thanks everyone!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: relay, relays

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.