Introducing Netduino Plus 2 - Page 9 - Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1) - Netduino Forums

Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Introducing Netduino Plus 2

• Please log in to reply
195 replies to this topic

#161 CW2

CW2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1592 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:44 AM

What's the IDE you are referring to that steps from C# in and out of native code?

I don't think it is possible to step from C# in and out of native code directly in one IDE (e.g. Visual Studio). However, it is possible to step through the C# code in Visual Studio, while there is an ARM debugger attached (via JTAG/SWD) and have breakpoints hit in the native code. IMHO you should be able to use any ARM IDE that supports hardware debugger (e.g. ARM RVDS, KEIL MDK-ARM, IAR EWARM, CrossWorks for ARM, hopefully OpenOCD with gdb etc.), the most important point is to flash image with debugging information (.axf), so symbols can be resolved. Usually, it helps to create an empty project in the IDE, set its output to tinyclr.axf (which is built using the .NET MF PK command line) and then manually add source files (C/C++, asm) with the code you are stepping through or where you need to place the breakpoints.

Note: There was a tool included in the .NET MF repository on CodePlex, which converted msbuild files to KEIL MDK project format, but I have not checked what is the current state, it did not work very well when I tried it first time.

#162 Viren

Viren

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationAhmedabad, GJ, India

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:51 AM

I have read that ... in addition to existing shields, thanks to Netduino Plus 2's 5V digital I/O tolerance). what does it mean. Can I give 5v logic on digital i/o pin.

#163 Gutworks

Gutworks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:22 PM

I have read that ... in addition to existing shields, thanks to Netduino Plus 2's 5V digital I/O tolerance). what does it mean. Can I give 5v logic on digital i/o pin.

By 5V tolerant it means that you can use use the digital pins as an Input for 5V devices however the maximum output logic level would be 3.3V. If you need to convert the logic levels for both input and output, Sparkfun does sell an affordable logic level converter that seems to work well.  

#164 Ryan Mick

Ryan Mick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:33 PM

Chris, I could have sworn I had seen an image in the forums of the N+2 with the pin breakouts but I can't seem to find it again. Can we get an image of the the N+2 with the pin functions? Also, it would be nice if there was an online reference of the SecretLabs namespace. It would make it a lot easier to know what objects exist there.

#165 Gutworks

Gutworks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:47 PM

Chris, I could have sworn I had seen an image in the forums of the N+2 with the pin breakouts but I can't seem to find it again. Can we get an image of the the N+2 with the pin functions? Also, it would be nice if there was an online reference of the SecretLabs namespace. It would make it a lot easier to know what objects exist there.

Hi Ryan, 

Hopefully this helps: Netduino Plus 2 Pinout

I would also love to see a Secret Labs namespace documentation. Perhaps, with some help we can make a community driven one this year. 

Cheers,

Steve

#166 Ryan Mick

Ryan Mick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:58 PM

Thanks Steve, I knew I had seen it somewhere. The pin out images should be with the hardware specs, it just helps make it more user friendly. I might have to spend some time and try to extract the data from the assemblies. If the source code is available, that would make it a lot easier to generate.

#167 600mL

600mL

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:44 AM

A little disappointing that there is no on-board RTC. Other than that it looks like a nice unit.

#168 Gutworks

Gutworks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:22 PM

A little disappointing that there is no on-board RTC. Other than that it looks like a nice unit.

I think an on-board RTC would have been awesome, but I think the price point and size are even more awesome. With the addition of an RTC you're looking at not only an increase in component cost, but also need to find a spot for the battery. One of the many great things about the NP2 is that it has the same footprint as the Plus and can be easily swapped into any of your old projects. 

Steve

#169 neslekkim

neslekkim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:22 PM

Read page 1 here:

http://www.st.com/in.../DM00037051.pdf

Only thing lacking is the batterysocket as the functionality is already in the mcu, is it possible to give it power somewhere (even when not running), to keep that rtc going?

(ok, page 69 shows how to connect Vbat to give power to the rtc, if vbat is available that would be cool)

--
Asbjørn

#170 upstream

upstream

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationBrasil

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:43 PM

Nice !

Just one question. Why not using the embeded RTC feature on new processor?  or leave it available to the user to install crystal, battery, configure it, etc.

Thx

Ricardo

"- Somewhere there's a bug to fix..."

#171 Thomas Rankin

Thomas Rankin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:13 PM

Totally agree, being able to simply plug in a battery and get an RTC would be fantastic.

#172 neslekkim

neslekkim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:48 PM

Wonder if we can add some blue wire to get the rtc going on these boards?, tempted to try on the Go.. (which have the same mcu)

--
Asbjørn

#173 Igor Kondrasovas

Igor Kondrasovas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationPorto, Portugal

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:09 PM

Hi Chris,

Can you give us a little update about what are the news regarding Power Management on Netduino Plus 2? There is an interesting topic here on this post, but I would like to know if there is something else missing that is exclusive to ND+2

Thank you,

Igor.

Igor Kondrasovas

www.inovativatec.com

#174 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:49 PM

Hi Igor,
Can you give us a little update about what are the news regarding Power Management on Netduino Plus 2? There is an interesting topic here on this post, but I would like to know if there is something else missing that is exclusive to ND+2
With Netduino 2 and Netduino Plus 2, we introduced a few nice features for power management.

First of all, you can turn on/off power to shields. For most users, this will be more of a "in case you need to hard-reset a shield" type of feature.

On Netduino Plus 2, you can turn power on/off to the Ethernet port and MicroSD card slot. This enables you to save power when you don't need those features.

We also introduced a switching regulator (instead of an LDO regulator) on the new gen2 boards. This means that much less energy is lost as heat during the voltage conversion process. 500mA of 5V power becomes 680mA of 3.3V power (instead of becoming ~500mA of 3.3V power and losing the remaining energy as heat). This also means that you will still have about 3.500mA of 3.3V power left over for all the peripherals and accessories even after the MCU power requirements.

We're exploring additional options for future power management enhancements as well. We can't go into the deepest of sleep modes lest we dump most of RAM...but there are some possibilities about going into lesser sleep modes in the future for battery-powered applications.

BTW, Netduino 2 does have a slower MCU and therefore does take less power than Netduino Plus 2. So if you're building a battery-operated device which doesn't need Ethernet or SD, Netduino 2 may be the perfect fit.

Chris

#175 nhale

nhale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationHeidelberg, Germany

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:35 PM

Great, I just had the impression, that I'm running out of memory and speed with my Netduino Plus.

Now I think 5-6 Threads and a lot of data pushing around is not a problem anymore. Thanks!!

A way to update the application/fw via network or sd would be great.

#176 JerseyTechGuy

JerseyTechGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:51 AM

A way to update the application/fw via network or sd would be great.

You can accomplish this by dynamically loading DLLs from the SD Card.  Just update the core DLLs on the SD card and you have a new application.  You can also do this if you are running say a web server like NeonMika that allows you to upload files.  You can create some custom code to handle the upload that will save the DLLs to the SD Card, then create a web command to reboot.  This is my plan for the next phase of my project.

#177 neslekkim

neslekkim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:57 AM

How secure will this be?

--
Asbjørn

#178 apokryphus

apokryphus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:44 PM

clarified...

#179 thepilotfish

thepilotfish

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:13 PM

Hello Chris,

Hardware-wise, yes. KodeDaemon sent over a code update last week that we couldn't get into the 4.2.1 firmware in time...but we'll be adding support for larger cards very soon. Netduino Plus 1 will also be getting the software update. Chris

Did this make it into 4.2.2? I am contemplating using the SD card for low-res image storage and would like to use larger media. I read through the forums and can't find a definitive answer. A little hesitant to upgrade any of our two boards at this stage of the project but will do if I can get 16GB+ SD card support.

Chris

www.projectpilotfish.com

#180 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 30 March 2013 - 04:33 PM

Hi Chris, The latest releases bring the Netduino Plus 2 firmware in line with .NET MF 4.2 QFE2 (versus QFE1). There are some SD changes in 4.2--but not all of Kode's SD enhancements have made it into the latest official release. Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.