The GoBus Upgrade - Page 3 - Netduino Go - Netduino Forums

Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

The GoBus Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#41 supra

supra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:37 PM

(like an module with only one 8x8 matrix, that would be extremely expensive if one would like to drive more than one matrix.. )

Yeah!Posted Image. I haven't gotten answer frm chrisPosted Image. That the way i don't like to add an extra module. I was going to 15 - 20 servo motor to build robot.
the board is too big for robot.

#42 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:15 PM

Yes, I have seen that the mainboards is like that, I don't like it very much, it's difficult to know which board to use for what, so I like the GoBus better for beeing more versatile sort of.

Yeah, that's one of the reasons why we went for virtualization with GoBus instead of pin mapping like Arduino and Gadgeteer and BeagleBone, etc.

GoBus frees users from getting locked into a single ecosystem of components and gives users the ability to add whatever features they need to their project--instead of using up a limited set of microcontroller features as they add components.

That said, there are a few dozen Gadgeteer modules and hundreds of Arduino shields out there--so we're making sure that we provide adapters which give users the most options.

But what do you mean with loss of open source?, are some of the letters for close things? (I haven't fully gotten into it, I only noted that E was missing.. )

There's a disturbing phenomena of manufacturers giving out board design files but not letting users know that they've included (and paid license fees for) patented features in those designs. I've even seen these marketed as "100% open source." Some of the Gadgeteer gear falls into this camp.

BTW the "E" socket type is for Ethernet modules. Running high-speed non-differential Ethernet signals over long unshielded small-gauge wires is not an optimal scenario. I'd highly recommend using Ethernet via GoBus; we'll be shipping the Ethernet module for Netduino Go soon.

Chris

#43 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:20 PM

Hi supra,

How did u connected 8x8 dotmatrix to GoBus?

Can i do 8x32

There are some Gadgeteer modules that have led matrixes. You can connect a few together. Please make sure to check the power consumption of them first; some of them may require an additional power supply.

Chris

#44 supra

supra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:34 PM

Hi supra,

There are some Gadgeteer modules that have led matrixes. You can connect a few together. Please make sure to check the power consumption of them first; some of them may require an additional power supply.

Chris

Yeah! I know abt it.
Thank.

#45 ransomhall

ransomhall

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationBurlington, VT, USA

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:19 AM

Now that I have a Go (with a ShieldBase), what are the chances I can get a hold of a Gadgeteer adapter? I would be happy to help test it. I've got a bunch of Gadgeteer modules just waiting to get some Go juice :)

#46 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:29 AM

Hi ransomhall,

Now that I have a Go (with a ShieldBase), what are the chances I can get a hold of a Gadgeteer adapter? I would be happy to help test it. I've got a bunch of Gadgeteer modules just waiting to get some Go juice :)

Thank you for your enthusiasm :)

The first production units should arrive next month. I'll be sure to post an update when they arrive.

Would you like me to ping you when the performance beta begins?

Chris

#47 ransomhall

ransomhall

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:45 AM

Welcome to the Netduino community Eric and Ian!

I was excited to see both of your names when I checked the latest posts this morning. I know how active you both are in the .NetMF community and have read many of your posts on the TinyCLR forums. Your ingenuity and dedication are greatly valued and I hope to see many fantastic projects from both of you showcasing the power of .NetMF and the versatility of the Gobus platform using the Gadgeteer modules. The possibilities are endless! I would also, quite selfishly I might add, love to tap into the knowledge and experience you both bring to the community. So please drop by often, and feel free to share your projects here.

Cheers,
Steve

Thanks for the humbling welcome Steve! Do you go by this alias on tinyclr or something else? I'm happy to help cross pollinate between these two platforms. I agree on the endless possibilities. We've really just scratched the surface of what these micros can do. Now just to find some endless time ;)

#48 ransomhall

ransomhall

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:51 AM

Hi ransomhall,

Thank you for your enthusiasm :)

The first production units should arrive next month. I'll be sure to post an update when they arrive.

Chris

I'm still getting getting used to your retail supply chain, so does "arrive next month" mean they will be for sale at Amazon et al then? Sure thing on the beta heads up.

#49 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:52 AM

Hi ransomhall,

I'm still getting getting used to your retail supply chain, so does "arrive next month" mean they will be for sale at Amazon et al then? Sure thing on the beta heads up.

Yes, they should be on Amazon. Amazon carries all of the Netduino-brand products. All authorized resellers can get them as well.

Chris

#50 Gutworks

Gutworks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:25 AM

Thanks for the humbling welcome Steve! Do you go by this alias on tinyclr or something else? I'm happy to help cross pollinate between these two platforms. I agree on the endless possibilities. We've really just scratched the surface of what these micros can do. Now just to find some endless time ;)

You're more than Welcome Eric. Yes, I'm Gutworks in that forum as well, however I mainly just lurk around in there reading posts. I used to be in the chat room every so often but there wasn't a lot of activity i in there. :)

Steve

#51 Lunddahl

Lunddahl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationEurope, Denmark

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:19 AM

For the Shield Base ?, i would like to opt in on that, very much indeed.

- Ulrik

#52 ransomhall

ransomhall

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:07 PM

For the Shield Base ?, i would like to opt in on that, very much indeed.

- Ulrik

Ulrik - We're discussing the beta for the gadgeteer adapter.

#53 neslekkim

neslekkim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 19 October 2012 - 05:19 PM

We're currently developing an 8-port powered hub. It's the size of Netduino Go but it has an upstream GoPort and a power barrel instead of a Micro USB jack. You simply plug it into your mainboard and you get 8 more GoPorts. Plug in an external power adapter and you get a dedicated power boost for downstream modules.

http://instagram.com/p/Q-MfkNjOm0/

How far away was that hub again? :) (and the shieldbase update releasing the 3 ports)
And I still need to get the display, daq, 7segment, sdcard(maybenot since dac has it), and ethernet, and already now I'm three ports short.. :)

--
Asbjørn

#54 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 19 October 2012 - 06:20 PM

How far away was that hub again? :) (and the shieldbase update releasing the 3 ports)
And I still need to get the display, daq, 7segment, sdcard(maybenot since dac has it), and ethernet, and already now I'm three ports short.. :)

I can see that the hub will come in handy :)

We'll be moving the Shield Base to SPI transport later this fall. We're working on the final feature for it now (I2C) and then the switch to SPI (single port) is the next new feature.

Lots to play with :)

Hubs arrive in the spring. We'll start testing hub functionality using a Netduino Go as a hub (via RS-232 or XBee link) and follow up with the dedicated hub modules.

Chris

#55 AlfredBr

AlfredBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • LocationConnecticut, USA

Posted 25 October 2012 - 02:26 AM

Chris,

In front of me, I'm lucky to have a Netduino Go with the latest firmware, a brand new Netduino Gadgeteer Adapter and a handful of GHI Gadgeteer modules.

Now what? Is there a special assembly/driver required for the Gadgeteer Adapter? I saw this working at MakerFaire in your booth, so I know it works.

I've got the gear, how do I do the same thing you demoed?

#56 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 25 October 2012 - 02:38 AM

Hi AlfredBr, Gadgeteer Adapter is scheduled to be released at the end of November. We got the first production hardware a bit early, so we gave them out as gifts at MakerFaire...but you'll need to wait a few weeks for the software. Sorry if I didn't make that clear at MakerFaire...I thought we gave the full details to everyone, but I may have been so excited to say hi that I forgot to tell you :) We have a lot of updates coming in November...including several for Netduino Go. Some of them are quite exciting; stay tuned. Chris

#57 AlfredBr

AlfredBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • LocationConnecticut, USA

Posted 25 October 2012 - 03:26 AM

Sorry if I didn't make that clear at MakerFaire...I thought we gave the full details to everyone, but I may have been so excited to say hi that I forgot to tell you :)

Okay...Awesome! I'm sure that you mentioned it, I must have missed it between wrangling three kids under 12 and the din of the Faire.

I'm very excited for this Fall and what you have in store for us. I'm totally ready for this...

#58 Gerald

Gerald

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:52 PM

Hi everyone. I'm new to the Netduino community. I've noticed that there are a lot of modules that are "coming soon", but much of the discussion stops around last October. Are these modules moving forward? When and where can I get a gadgeteer adapter module and an ethernet module?

#59 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:04 AM

Hi Gerald,
Hi everyone. I'm new to the Netduino community. I've noticed that there are a lot of modules that are "coming soon", but much of the discussion stops around last October. Are these modules moving forward? When and where can I get a gadgeteer adapter module and an ethernet module?
Welcome to the Netduino community. We paused development on the new GoBus modules for a little while late last year, in order to focus on shipping the new Netduino Plus 2 and the 4.2.2 firmware update. We're back to working on GoBus modules again at full speed, so more new modules will start shipping again soon. We just received samples of some new GoBus hardware, actually... Lots to share soon. Chris

#60 zemuss

zemuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:44 PM

When will the Ethernet module release?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.