Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.

monewwq1's Content

There have been 104 items by monewwq1 (Search limited from 29-April 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#19625 Netduino - WiFi

Posted by monewwq1 on 23 October 2011 - 03:54 AM in Project Showcase

Here is a video example I've been meaning to upload. It uses two Netduino's. Each Netduino contains a Gainspan GS1011MIP module and an RGB LED. The Netduino's are powered from 9v batteries, so they are completely wireless.

In this video, the Netduino's connect to each other via an ad-hoc Wi-Fi connection- there are no routers or computers involved in this demo. At the start, each Netduino powers up and sets its LED high. After a short initialization delay, the first Netduino then sends a TCP message to the other Netduino to set a random color for its LED. The second Netduino responds and sets its color. Then the second Netduino sends a TCP message to the first Netduino to set its LED to a random color. The first Netduino responds by setting its color and then sends a message back to the second Netduino, etc., etc...

The effect is a visual representation of the ad-hoc TCP messages between the two Gainspan modules. This could be the basis for a wireless sensor network. I did a rough test in the backyard and these modules can talk back and forth out to 150 feet apart in an open-air scenario.

I moved the modules around in the video just to demonstrate that it is completely wireless. It is kind of a long video, but still cool. My bag of Doritos and my iPad make a brief cameo appearance. Lol

Netduino: Gainspan ad-hoc Wi-Fi communications

#19643 Netduino - WiFi

Posted by monewwq1 on 23 October 2011 - 04:05 PM in Project Showcase

Thanks, but I have tried sending the AT command several times. I even took the time to ohm out the pinouts from the breakout board back to the module and everything seems to be good. I think it's a baud rate issue, but since it's out of the box it should have the default settings. Do you know of a way to reset to factory defaults without using AT commands?

Webenglar,

Have you tried different baud rates to see if you can match with the module?
Are you using 3.3v levels?
Do you have tx on the module going to rx on the computer and rx on the computer going to tx on the module?

I apologize if these questions seem real basic, but just wanted to make sure.

I will check if there is a way to reset to factory default without the uart and will let you know shortly.

Thanks,
Nick

#19623 Netduino - WiFi

Posted by monewwq1 on 23 October 2011 - 03:39 AM in Project Showcase

I just got a gainspan 1011 breakout board in the mail to give my netduino some wireless comm. I looked at the datasheet and it appeared all I had to do to it was put power and rs232 on it and start throwing AT commands down the serial connection. I'm using my netduino for powering the gainspan board. I'm using a rs232 cable with flying leads coming from my computer and a program called RealTerm (v2) for talking to it. I started with the my settings at 9600,8,n,1. When I send the "AT\r" command, I just get jibberish back. It looks like the baud settings are wrong, but those are the default settings from what I can tell. Does anybody have any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?

According to the documentation, the module requires repeatedly sending the "AT\r" command until an "OK" response is received. Are you sending "AT\r" multiple times until you receive "OK"? If you are, and you're never getting an "OK", it sounds like a baud rate or wiring/setup issue.

#15767 Netduino - WiFi

Posted by monewwq1 on 22 July 2011 - 12:49 AM in Project Showcase

I bought a Netduino Plus but decided I really need to go wireless, so I picked up a Gainspan WiFi breakout board from Sparkfun (http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10505) and after some fiddling with the AT commands, I was able to get a WiFi connection going.

#19598 Netduino - WiFi

Posted by monewwq1 on 22 October 2011 - 03:30 PM in Project Showcase

Hi,

Can you tell me the commands I need to pass using the usb ttl device to firstly connect to my network and secondly do the firmware update.

I have connected to the device and have found my network but can't figure out how to connect to it?

Also I have no idea what I need to do to flash the new firrmware on to it?

I am using the tera term app that came with the firmware update files.

Thanks in advadance your help is much appreciated.

Andy

If you're using a USB-to-TTL connection, just connect it directly to the Gainspan. You do not need to connect to any network. You're using UART comms at that point.

If you have the full documentation, the FIrmware download should have provided a com port program to use for updating the firmware (note: this is not the Tera Term app; it is another app in the download files. SOrry, I don't remember the name of it at the moment).

#19615 Netduino - WiFi

Posted by monewwq1 on 23 October 2011 - 12:57 AM in Project Showcase

Andy, The firmware update program is called gs_flashprogram.exe. It is simple to use. Let me know how it goes. Nick

#19651 Netduino - WiFi

Posted by monewwq1 on 23 October 2011 - 06:43 PM in Project Showcase

I did try different baud rates. No luck. I also thought I saw in either the datasheet or the manual that you can use a PC to talk to it. I'm going straight from the serial port of my laptop to the module. I don't know what the voltage is, I will double check that. Tx and Rx are connected properly. What program to you use to transfer your AT commands?

Oops. You cannot connect directly from a PC serial port to the module. You will need to get 3.3V logic levels, and a standard serial port on a computer is not 3.3V. See how serial ports work. A USB-to-3.3V TTL converter works fine, and that is what I use.

#18887 Netduino - WiFi

Posted by monewwq1 on 07 October 2011 - 02:36 AM in Project Showcase

I'm using the gainspan 1011. I followed your source code and have tcp working nicely, thanks! I'm trying to get the httpsend feature working to send an http post. I setup a php script that accepts two fields and I've verified it works using putty. So far, the php script is telling me I'm sending an empty message. So, I'm definitely talking to the server, just not sending any data. I think maybe I've got the escape sequence incorrect. Here's the relevant commands I'm sending the gainspan:

at+httpconf=20,User-Agent: Mozilla/4.0\r
at+httpconf=3,keep-alive\r
at+httpconf=11,<myhost>\r
at+httpconf=7,application/x-www-form-urlencoded\r
at+httpopen=<myhostip>\r
at+httpsend=0,3,10,/test_post.php,23\r\x1BHname=myName&info=myInfo

Any suggestions? I'm not sure what to try next.

Hi, unfortunately I have not used the built-in http features of the Gainspan. For my Gainspan projects I rolled my own http communications.

#15804 Netduino - WiFi

Posted by monewwq1 on 23 July 2011 - 03:18 AM in Project Showcase

Hi all,

The project files are attached. There are comments in the project indicating how to connect the Gainspan module to the Netduino. The code contains very little error handling, as this is currently in the experimental stage.

Here are links to the documents I consulted to put this together:

#15795 Netduino - WiFi

Posted by monewwq1 on 22 July 2011 - 07:14 PM in Project Showcase

Yes, no problem. I will post the code in a few hours this weekend. I'll provide some details on how to connect it as well.

#15840 Netduino - WiFi

Posted by monewwq1 on 24 July 2011 - 12:01 AM in Project Showcase

Hi, I re-factored the code today. There were issues with the DataReceived event and commands processed way too slowly. Now the commands are near-instantaneous to respond. This also adds the ability for multiple clients to control the LED, and I also added a small PC fan to the circuit, controllable via one of the PWM outputs on the Netduino Plus. The code update is attached.

#15965 Netduino - WiFi

Posted by monewwq1 on 27 July 2011 - 12:52 PM in Project Showcase

Dumb question. Can this be used with a regular Netduino (not Plus)?

Yes, this can be used with the regular Netduino as well.

#16998 Netduino - WiFi

Posted by monewwq1 on 24 August 2011 - 02:45 AM in Project Showcase

Hi Nick,

I ordered a GainSpan module from SparkFun, and thanks to your code was up and running quickly. I haven't done any systematic measurements yet, but got the impression that the module's throughput is rather low.

I thought of using bulk mode transfers, which may be faster, but the documentation (Serial_to_WiFi_Adapter_Guide ver 5_3.pdf) appears inconsistent. I tried the command AT+BDATA=1 to enable bulk mode, and then ESC 'Z' for sending data, but got error messages. My module's firmware version is 2.2.4, btw.

Do you have experience regarding the module's throughput?

Thanks and best regards

Cuno

Hi Cuno,

I am glad to hear you were able to get the Gainspan module communicating. To enable bulk data mode, you need version 2.3.1 of the Gainspan firmware. To obtain version 2.3.1, you would need to sign an NDA with Gainspan for the firmware update. When you say the throughput is low, do you mean the Wi-Fi to serial conversion? You might try adjusting the Baud Rate of the serial connection. Please update me on how you're doing with it. Good luck.

#16132 Netduino - WiFi

Posted by monewwq1 on 01 August 2011 - 01:09 AM in Project Showcase

Hi all, For those interested, just an update on this Gainspan module- please note that in order to obtain the newest firmware and future updates, you will need to sign a mutual Non-Disclosure Agreement with Gainspan. I wasn't real happy about having to do this, but it was relatively painless and the new firmware opened up a world of more possibilities. It took me 8 days to get my NDA approved.

#19278 Netduino - WiFi

Posted by monewwq1 on 16 October 2011 - 11:43 PM in Project Showcase

Hi,

I have just got a gainspan module from sparkfun, and I wondered if you could help...

Firstly can you tell me which version of the firmware do I need (I have the NDK now), I have downloaded both but am not sure which one to use; the Mxp or MEE?

Also how do I then update the firmware?

Finally do you have an example web script as I have not really done much with websites before and don't really know where to begin with that side?

Many thanks,

Andy

Andy,

Out of the box, you do not need to update the firmware. If you need the current functionality, such as Bulk Data mode and others, you'll need to update the firmware.

The part number should be written on the device. Mine is a GS1011MIP, so I would use the MxP firmware. The part number just indicates whether it uses an internal or external Power Amplifier (PA) and whether it uses an external or PCB antenna. For example, an MIP has an internal PA with PCB antenna. An MEE has an external PA with External antenna. See also http://www.gainspan....e/s_modules.php

I update the firmware using a 3.3v USB-to-TTL adapter and the communication software provided with the Gainspan software download. I can't remember the name of the software at the moment but it is included in the download, as long as you have a login and have signed the non-disclosure agreement. Just plug the USB end of the adapter into the computer and wire the 3.3V, Tx, Rx, and Gnd from the ttl adapter to the corresponding pins on the Gainspan module, with Tx to Rx, and Rx to Tx.

As for the example web script, maybe describe what you're trying to do exactly and I can try to help.

Nick

#19989 Monitor & Control your Garage Door with Android App

Posted by monewwq1 on 30 October 2011 - 02:52 AM in Project Showcase

I exclude a problem in my LAN because if I browse the ip of the router (192.168.0.1) from android, I have no problem. The strange thing is that from any other pc on my lan, all works fine... the problem is only from my android smartphone. Any suggest?

Just because you can browse the ip of the router does not mean that there is not a router configuration problem. Perhaps the router is blocking requests to port 80 or whatever TCP port you have configured for your web server. So if you go to http://192.168.0.1, all is fine because the Android phone is connected to the same router connection as your other computers (192.168.0.1 is probably the Default Gateway IP address) and the router is configured to allow local connections to its configuration pages. But if you go to http://192.168.0.7/relay_on, the router is internally blocking that request. I would check the port forwarding and firewall configuration of the router and make sure it is not blocking certain port requests from your Android phone. Some routers have internal log files that you can view to see if that is happening.

#18171 High resolution light measurement

Posted by monewwq1 on 19 September 2011 - 01:38 AM in General Discussion

Can an Atmel AT91SAM7X512 microcontroller support the functions of the Taos TSL235R?

I am still not convinced that I need to throw more components at this problem. Netduino has an ARM7 48MHz processor- why should we deny that there is plenty of speed right on this development board? If I were to remove the processor from the Netduino and program it directly, or remove the .Net firmware and run C/C++ on it, I am sure that this sensor would run fine. I've read in these forums that version 4.1.2 of the Netduino firmware is supposed to offer run-time native code interop. I've also read about someone's project called "Fluent", which runs code something like 20 to 30 times faster than the managed code. I've also read that you can run FreeRTOS on the Netduino platform. Can't you run a quadrocopter with FreeRTOS? Isn't that real-time?

Does version Netduino 4.1.2 have runtime native code interop? If not, when will it have this functionality? Where can I get this "Fluent" project? Where can I find resources on how to run my own C/C++ on this board?

I understand the opinion that more tools will help me solve this problem, but I would rather use what I have instead of having to then deal with connecting, learning, and powering these other pieces.

#18154 High resolution light measurement

Posted by monewwq1 on 18 September 2011 - 07:24 PM in General Discussion

I am still confused as to why I cannot directly interface it with a Netduino. Does it somehow make a difference if it is outputting a 50% duty cycle and not a pulse train? How are they doing this with a .Net Micro Framework board? Here is an example of directly interfacing a TSL230R with a .Net FEZ board, using .Net Micro Framework C# code. Am I missing something? Are they scaling the result or something?

#18119 High resolution light measurement

Posted by monewwq1 on 17 September 2011 - 04:37 PM in General Discussion

I am under the impression that I can use an InterruptPort on the Netduino without the need for additional components. Perhaps code like this would work with the TSL235R? I will give it a try and let you know the results.

#18116 High resolution light measurement

Posted by monewwq1 on 17 September 2011 - 02:50 PM in General Discussion

I am trying to find a suitable component that would allow me to measure the brightness of an image appearing on a computer monitor. Specifically, the computer is set up to flash different colored images and I want my Netduino to read and interpret the brightness values of those images. I bought this light-to-frequency converter: http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9768, which looks promising. Does anyone have any other suggestions for suitable components? I suppose I could use a standard photodiode, but I am looking for a large resolution, and I need a fast response time because the colors on the monitor will flash on and off quickly. I am thinking that having a large resolution will allow me to set up a larger range of commands that could occur depending on the light frequency that the Netduino reads. The end goal is to be able to allow a user to program certain aspects of my Netduino using the variances of light frequencies coming from images on a web page. In effect, a "'dark" frequency might represent a "1", and a "light" frequency might represent a "0". A company called Aniomagic has an e-textile product called "Sparkle" that allows you to program it by holding it up to your computer monitor, but I have much bigger plans for this basic idea. You can see "Sparkle's" program page here: http://www.aniomagic...program/?hl=en. Do you think the light-to-frequency converter would work for a Netduino project like this?

#18164 High resolution light measurement

Posted by monewwq1 on 18 September 2011 - 09:50 PM in General Discussion

I just set up that FEZ code to run with the Netduino and the TLS235R, and Netduino still chokes on it after three reads. I also had to cover up the sensor with black cloth or else the Netduino failed immediately. Here are the readings I'm getting with the sensor completely covered:

Using an Interrupt
Reading 0
20400 Hz
221739.13043478262 uW/cm2
2650.3369113867698 lux (single)
163.81671308080081 lux (gauss)

Reading 1
20500 Hz
222826.08695652176 uW/cm2
2663.3287589916072 lux (single)
164.61973618413808 lux (gauss)

Reading 2
20400 Hz
221739.13043478262 uW/cm2
2650.3369113867698 lux (single)
163.81671308080081 lux (gauss)

Reading 3
3500 Hz
38043.478260869568 uW/cm2
454.71466616929877 lux (single)
28.105808616804058 lux (gauss)

Invalid frequency 0
Invalid frequency 0
Invalid frequency 0

I guess I am going to have to learn how to program another bare MCU and use that for my readings. It is really cool to watch the frequency change on my oscilloscope as the light levels change. The readings look nice and stable. And yes, I shined a really bright light on the sensor and watched the scope and it did go to one pulse every 2µs.

#18166 High resolution light measurement

Posted by monewwq1 on 18 September 2011 - 10:10 PM in General Discussion

Can someone please speed up my Netduino? Does anyone have a Netduino Ultra I could borrow? :D

#18243 High resolution light measurement

Posted by monewwq1 on 20 September 2011 - 01:51 PM in General Discussion

I own a truck: it has 500HP. I wonder why it can't reach 300Km/h...But I'm sure: it's 500HP powered! Much more than a Ferrari!...
I definitively want it will able to reach 300Km/h, even it's a truck...
What can I do?

#18195 High resolution light measurement

Posted by monewwq1 on 19 September 2011 - 02:30 PM in General Discussion

Hi NickDuino,

I'm just picking up on this thread now, but are you using InputPort to meeasure the time in managed code instead of using InterruptPort (which passes a fairly precise timestamp of the original event)?

Hi Chris,

I am using InterruptPort:

// the pin is expected to interrupt on rising edges
                InterruptPort _dataOutInterruptPort = 
                    new InterruptPort(Pins.GPIO_PIN_D2, false,
                                       Port.ResistorMode.Disabled,
                                       Port.InterruptMode.InterruptEdgeHigh);

// add an interrupt handler to the pin
                _dataOutInterruptPort.OnInterrupt += 
                    new NativeEventHandler(_dataOutInterruptPort_OnInterrupt);

And in the event handler _dataOutInterruptPort_OnInterrupt, I am simply counting the pulses with a long variable:

private void _dataOutInterruptPort_OnInterrupt(uint port, uint state, DateTime time)
            {
                _pulseCount++;
            }

I'm then using the _pulsecount to determine the frequency and then using some additional math to get the irradiance. If I cover the TSL sensor with a black cloth, I do get a few readings from the Netduino, but after that, my Interrupt stops firing. If I shine a bright light on the TSL sensor, I never get any readings and the Netduino becomes "busy" and unresponsive to the IDE.

Perhaps there is too much code in my interrupt routine. I am going to write a real simple version that does not do any irradiance calculations and only prints a very limited amount to the Debug console. I will post the code to this thread later today.

#18248 High resolution light measurement

Posted by monewwq1 on 20 September 2011 - 02:19 PM in General Discussion

The answer is yes, to both questions.

Thank you.

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.