Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.

NooM's Content

There have been 301 items by NooM (Search limited from 28-April 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#45509 Adafruit NFC shield

Posted by NooM on 14 February 2013 - 03:39 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

hm iam wondering why you bitbang the data, and not use the normal spi/i2c classes, that would be a lot faster and way less code, less errors and such. i dont have such a device so i cant try, but except some really exotic devices all is kinda "standard" that just works with netduino

- ofc the right code for accessing the right registers at the right time is still needed.

#45964 Adafruit NFC shield

Posted by NooM on 21 February 2013 - 12:04 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

i2c does not have/need a cs (chipselect) pin. it access the device with an address.

maybe the pin is used for something else.

#51166 Netduino Plus 2, SPI not working, .NET Toolbox,

Posted by NooM on 07 July 2013 - 07:24 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

grant: you need/want a thread.sleep(timeout.infinite) after

Debug.Print("done");

its unknown what happens when you "close" the main loop.

#45373 Safely ejecting SD card (and other problems)

Posted by NooM on 12 February 2013 - 12:58 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

first: yes thats only for the plus and plus2.

than: i meant its not Cpu.Pins its just Pins enum.

also, since this is in the plus/plus2 part of the board, i was talking about that.

#45361 Safely ejecting SD card (and other problems)

Posted by NooM on 12 February 2013 - 07:01 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

you do not use Cpu.Pins for netduino -.-

netduino has the card detect implemented, and it even throws an interrupt when you enter a card (maybe, i guess) also when you remove it.

#45420 Safely ejecting SD card (and other problems)

Posted by NooM on 13 February 2013 - 09:47 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

So how does that help with my various errors?

it gives you some knowledge :P

since hanzibal allready told you about the card-detect pin ...

the try/catch approach you mentioned may work, but i think its better to

check if a sd card is in (set a boolean with the card-detect event, maybe there is allready one?)

and only write data when its actually in.

#45425 Dead USB, can't deploy, connect or reset...

Posted by NooM on 13 February 2013 - 11:28 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

you sure its damaged? netduino can survice 12v, the regulator is actually rated much higher (but will get a heat problem when you draw too much current)

#45446 Dead USB, can't deploy, connect or reset...

Posted by NooM on 13 February 2013 - 05:15 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

sry i have no idea what todo, but ping and program running tells me its not damaged.

#48004 How do I connect Netduino+ to a pc wireless?

Posted by NooM on 04 April 2013 - 05:17 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

if it doesent have to be ethernet, id go with a bluetooth module. they are very cheap on ebay, and its serial communication. doesent need any extra code to work.

http://forums.netdui...ss-programming/

(i not only use them for programming, nearly all my "projects" have one now, to send data from pc to the project)

//edit: sadly hey doubled in price the last few weeks :(

#45626 is the next new netduino hardware has a 176 pins version?

Posted by NooM on 16 February 2013 - 02:58 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

you are right, that wouldnt be very fast.

and you want the extra pins for chipselect?

id also suggest give more information next time. i assumed you just want normal outputs.

driving them per spi and just use the extra-pins as chipselect would be fastest way ofc.

with 74hc138 you can multiplex pins, like with 3 real pins you can get 8

edit: keep in mind that the spi is in hardware, so thats really really fast.

if you have an oscilloscope you can meassure turning a pin on and off in a loop, and doing the same with

byte like 10101010 .. where spi beats the pin turning by far.

#45617 is the next new netduino hardware has a 176 pins version?

Posted by NooM on 16 February 2013 - 10:24 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

iam also not sure if you know what your talking about the 165 .. they have no interrupt pin..

the chips i suggested have 1 outgoing pin to your uC .. it tells you wnether an port changed, than you read it, the 165 cant do that.

you have to constantly ask them about their pin states.

also, the 595's are very very fast, and as paul said, maybe even faster than toggling single pins.

you can even chain them, and writing like 30 bytes (for 30 595's = 240 pins) at 10 mhz is outstanding fast.

you set the single bits in the bytes with bitshifting/bitmaks/whatever.

i tried all chips, and this is my experience.

#45608 is the next new netduino hardware has a 176 pins version?

Posted by NooM on 16 February 2013 - 06:56 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

id replace the 165 with something that has interrupts - polling is your perferomance killer here.

there is mcp23s17 (spi) and mcp23017 (i2c) wich are great for both inputs and outputs.

also, i dont think 74hc595's is much slower than more pins would be.

my test: just the performance counter code running: 8000 updates per sec.

turning 8 pins on/off = 4000 updates per sec.

turning 16 pins = 2000 updates per sec. so this is slow too.

but id totally avoid polling the 165

#45621 is the next new netduino hardware has a 176 pins version?

Posted by NooM on 16 February 2013 - 01:33 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

well, you ask me if i dont understand this, but in fact, i do.

now, when the 595's are so slow, why so many ppl use it for led-matrixes? with a thousands of leds w/o problems?

i myself am using 4 595's and much ohter code running, and still get an updaterate of 100-200 times.

for the 165: you still dont get what i mean, yes the uC (its not a cpu ...) has interrupt pins, and any chip that supports it tells the

uC that something on its pins changed. whats the code you use for your 165?

when i made inputs with external ic's i used the pfc8574 and the mcp23017, as soon as any pin of them changed they throw an

interrupt on the netduino, than i read (within the interrupt) wich pin it actually was.

with the 165 i had to "ask" (poll) them constantly to get the data and than compare it with the last poll to see if anything has changed.

now thats not stupid - thats the only way they tell you what changed :P

but well, do whatever you like.

to your initial question: iam very sure there never will be a 176pin version, but you can make one youself.

make a design for the 176pin chip, add the same crystal oscillator (or use an gcc port, or even use different .netmf firmware) -

flash it - done. i myself use a 100 pin board. (not for normal i/o's)

#46047 Is there a Watchdog breakout out there?

Posted by NooM on 22 February 2013 - 09:10 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

seriously thats a very complex watchdog i think.

iam using a attiny85 for that, and its just a few lines of code.

and for the netduino side its just setting a pin low and high.

there might be even simpler solutions (real watchdog ic's) - wich only needs to pull a pin low and high.

#54252 STM32F4 mini

Posted by NooM on 23 November 2013 - 03:31 PM in Netduino Mini

i designed one, sadly i placed the sd card slot one, so i have to wait for the new pcb's where i fixed this..

https://www.dropbox....board_front.png

https://www.dropbox...._board_back.png

its a f405, was quite simple actually

it can run the netmf for stm32 port in codeplex.

(iam using it with native code tho)

edit: oh and theres the cerb40 allready aviable.

#46226 Is there a Watchdog breakout out there?

Posted by NooM on 25 February 2013 - 06:46 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

sry i dont have the code anymore, but its very very simple.

i used the arduino ide and language to programm the tiny.

its like that: setup one pin as input, one as output, pullup enabled. (let it run with 3.3v, 1mhz internal oscillator)

make a timer with milis() ..

.. everytime the inputpin changes, make the timer a new value, the ammount is on yours (i used 1000msec)

when it runs out, pull output (connected to reset) down, let it down for like 50msec, make it high again, start over

(i suggest adding a 1 minute, maybe more, startup time, depending on your code, so it wount reset before the netduino is executing your code.

netduino side: just set a pin connected to the tiny high and low a value you like

#54268 STM32F4 mini

Posted by NooM on 24 November 2013 - 01:51 PM in Netduino Mini

well if you wanna use the netduino formware you have to look on wich pins is the usb port connected (important for flashing programs)

and you have to use a 25mhz crystal (iirc)

yes i meant the link you posted - this port needs a 8mhz crystal

you can change the crystal needed, but you have to recompile the netmf-firmware

on a sidenote: on mine i wanted the sdio interface and a micro sd card, so basic stamp wouldnt fit, in a breadboard it still leave 2 pins free each side

#45955 We have reproduce a lockup (when the internet fails) with a video

Posted by NooM on 21 February 2013 - 10:09 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

joopc: no iam not kidding. i offered a solution (or workaround or whatever you want to call it)

gebrander: your 1.) i dont even try to answer, whatever man ...

2.) yes a workaround, cos it will take time to fix the real issue (wich has todo with the dhcp i assume)

if your lucky it will be fixed with the .netmf 4.3 version (new lwip version) -

if that isent the case, it will take a long time to get this fix, so what todo?

cry? or try to "fix" or workaround it yourself?

you can also do something usefull and support .netmf / lwip with better code

keep in mind that sl is not a billion dollar company with hundreds of developers, and there is many stuff that needs fixes/attention

also - if you change too much on the core, it gives troubles on the further netmf updates.

#45962 We have reproduce a lockup (when the internet fails) with a video

Posted by NooM on 21 February 2013 - 11:17 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

-.- i never said that i dont want it all fixed or something like that. i like working stuff :P

but the stupid answers about me kidding and that tv stuff indeed make me angry, i mean, i tried to offer

some help and my experience. iam in no way affiliated with sl or some company.

//edit: if id know a better solution (for now) id tell it.

#45946 We have reproduce a lockup (when the internet fails) with a video

Posted by NooM on 21 February 2013 - 09:13 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

first: the socket code/drivers is from an external nsource, lwip i think, so its not microsoft based :(

than: i had the same problem with my arduino, also cosm.

i fixed it that way:

i just restart the device every 10 minutes -.-  (with software, later iam gonna add an attiny85 as external "watchdog" todo that)

since than i had no more problems.

#46073 How to power netduino without USB?

Posted by NooM on 22 February 2013 - 02:27 PM in General Discussion

i like that usb power supply thingy, its what i suggested, a swichting regulator from ebay (LM2596) - yeah in the post before i mentioned the wrong one, i corrected this.

i use them a lot. :wub:

about noise: well that depends: when i use a cheap cellphone charger i get a lot of noise, but

from a battery or a regulated power supply i get no noise at all (with the voltage first stepped up, than stepped down again, so 2x switching)

about the design: i think the chinese use the standard design from the datasheet.

there are also some versions that have current limiters, with them you can even charge li-** akkus.

its also kind of protection, so no fuse is needed.

(well, i just have the normal ones, when i short them they die, when i use more current than they can supply they drop the voltage a lot)

#45979 How to power netduino without USB?

Posted by NooM on 21 February 2013 - 06:40 PM in General Discussion

i suggest not using a linear regulator for a car battery (you sure its 12v and not 24v ?)

linear regulators are inefficient and make a lot of heat, while swichting regulators are way more effiecent and

dont need cooling (at least for around 10 watts)

the cheap lm2577 regulators from ebay work great for that.

there are also some for more power (but 10 watts is a lot!! thats 2amp @ 5 volt)

//edit 2577 is step up, sry, i meant LM2596

#46052 How to power netduino without USB?

Posted by NooM on 22 February 2013 - 10:33 AM in General Discussion

its not a bad idea, but you have to be carefull.

last few days 2 duinos got fried of beein not carefully enough with 12v. :(

i suggest opto-isolating the pins from netduino to the 12v stuff, not just a transistor/mosfet.

#46087 How to power netduino without USB?

Posted by NooM on 22 February 2013 - 07:12 PM in General Discussion

how did you get this values? doesent sound right to me.

was running code with a loop on all devices?

(my mini consumes ~30ma with fresh firmware install w/o program, but ~100-120ma with some code running)

#45140 I2C on Netduino 1 not working

Posted by NooM on 08 February 2013 - 07:59 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

that doesent look right:

new I2CDevice.Configuration(1, 1);

wich device it is? name

and what about pullups on i2c lines?

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.