Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.

Luke's Content

There have been 18 items by Luke (Search limited from 30-March 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#16980 OSC Drivers

Posted by Luke on 23 August 2011 - 02:51 PM in General Discussion

Martin,

I did eventually get a PoC working with OSC control. The main problem that I encountered was that I needed a function from the BitConverter that uses unsafe code. It works, but I was hoping to find a better, supported solution. It's been more than 6 months since I've even looked at this, but I'll attach what I have. No guarantee that this is any good and certainly not elegant :)

NetduinoOSC.zip has all of the OSC code and Program.cs has a little test code that I was using to test it with TouchOSC for iOS and some notes about things that I still planned to do to it.

I'd like to get back to this some day, but I've had other things going on lately keeping me away from it.

Hope this helps,
Luke

Hi Guys, i'm really new to the netduino and wanted to control some things with my iphone / android tablet over OSC (or is there something better for this?)

I've got some experiences with the arduino, but no experience with ethernet and this little tiny bastards (arduino + ethernet shield, netduino plus)

I didn't find any references in the net, like a step-by-step guide to use OSC with arduino / netduino plus.
Is there any?

regards Martin

Attached Files

#11114 Recommend a scope or PC card for working with Netduino?

Posted by Luke on 19 March 2011 - 12:40 PM in General Discussion

Or how about a 40kHz 2-Ch DIP-Size Mixed Signal Scope for $49?

Or get the same thing directly from the designer for $35
http://www.gabotroni...a-xprotolab.htm

It's actually a powerful little device with a 320kHz 2ch scope, arbitrary waveform generator, external triggering, and 8 channel logic analyzer. It will do SPI, I2C, and UART decoding with more to come. Of course, the biggest drawback is the display size and resolution. It also requires a PDI programmer to flash new firmware to it. I don't expect it to replace a dedicated scope or LA, but I'm looking forward to messing with it.

#10012 Power through 5V pin?

Posted by Luke on 22 February 2011 - 09:41 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

This should be fine, and is similar to what's happening when you power via USB. If your shield is using the Vin pin though, it's not going to be getting power. You will also be bypassing the reverse polarity protection that the barrel power connector has and USB power might try charge something that's connected to +5V. Chris Walker might chime in with more thoughts. The schematic is here if you want to take a look at how the power is routed: http://www.netduino....s/schematic.pdf

#9982 2 serial ports + RS422

Posted by Luke on 22 February 2011 - 01:24 AM in General Discussion

This is going to require 3 UARTs and the Netduino only has two. A device like this would give you another UART via SPI: http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9981 Then you'll need to shift the TTL to proper levels for RS422 (and RS232 if needed for the others).

#9788 Netduino Plus in stock at SparkFun

Posted by Luke on 18 February 2011 - 07:29 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Just received an email that Maker Shed now has them...lol http://www.makershed...ductCode=MKND02

#9787 Netduino Plus in stock at SparkFun

Posted by Luke on 18 February 2011 - 07:28 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

And they are sold out already! When I checked last night, they had 17, this morning they have 0 :)

When I noticed them in stock, I started a 15-minute check of the inventory...here's a graph :)

https://spreadsheets...zx=tx4h2l2mdn89

#9667 Netduino Plus in stock at SparkFun

Posted by Luke on 17 February 2011 - 06:01 AM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

I noticed earlier tonight that SparkFun now has the Netduino Plus in stock: http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10186

#9666 Steps to restore an Erased Netduino

Posted by Luke on 17 February 2011 - 05:53 AM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

First, thanks for this walk-through, it was quite helpful. I managed to use SAM-BA on Windows 7 64-bit, but only after some finagling. The trick was to let it hit Windows Update looking for drivers. There's a device with published WHQL drivers that must use a similar microprocessor and it's detected as a virtual COM port called "GPS Camera Detect". This COM port worked fine for flashing.

#7516 Hang during debug with ethernet connected

Posted by Luke on 12 January 2011 - 03:09 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

I tested some more last night and couldn't get repeatable results with any particular configuration. I did notice when doing a packet capture for something else I'm working on that my U-verse receivers are sending a lot of broadcast packets and ARP requests around. I also know that U-verse extensively uses IGMP v3 so I'm wondering if there isn't something weird about my environment that's causing problems with the IwIP stack. I'll try to isolate the Netduino Plus on a small switch separate from the rest of my network and see if it's stable there. If so, I'll see if I can find a hub to wedge between it and the network so that I can perform a good packet capture of everything that it's seeing. Will keep you posted.

#7463 Hang during debug with ethernet connected

Posted by Luke on 11 January 2011 - 04:51 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Very interesting. Are you using Static IP or DHCP? And just to confirm, this is plugged into your Netgear switch?

I'm using static IP. It's doing this on both switches. At first it seemed that switching to the Netgear fixed the issue, but that wasn't the case.

#7458 Hang during debug with ethernet connected

Posted by Luke on 11 January 2011 - 03:17 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

OK, that doesn't seem to be it, just a weird anomaly. It ran for 5 minutes or so with the simple program on the other switch so I loaded the Pachube app back on and left it running. It seemed that it was going to be ok, but I found later that it died after about 3 or 4 minutes. I've got to head to work and will test some more tonight.

#7455 Hang during debug with ethernet connected

Posted by Luke on 11 January 2011 - 02:19 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

Hi Luke,

Are you catching exceptions in your program? Perhaps a network connection attempt is failing and an exception is thrown (and not caught...causing your program to stop)?

Do you have a sample which we could use to reproduce the issue? We'd love to dig into it... We're working on a series of networking-related bugfixes for .NET MF right now so this is very timely.

Chris

Chris,

Thanks for the reply. I am catching exceptions in my program when doing anything network related. It works fine without ethernet connected. The exceptions are caught and dumped to the debug output and it will run for hours (let it run for over 16 hours last night).

This morning I created this simple program:

using System;
using System.Net;
using System.Net.Sockets;
using System.Threading;
using Microsoft.SPOT;
using Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware;
using SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware;
using SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware.NetduinoPlus;

namespace NetduinoPlusSimpleTest
{
    public class Program
    {
        public static void Main()
        {
            OutputPort LED = new OutputPort(Pins.ONBOARD_LED, false);

while (true)
            {
                Debug.Print(DateTime.Now.ToString());
                LED.Write(!LED.Read());
                Thread.Sleep(1000);
            }
        }
    }
}

This hung with the system time at 2 minutes, 11 seconds when the ethernet was attached. I'll do some more testing to see if the time is always the same. It hasn't stopped yet without ethernet attached and I'm at 5 minutes. I'll let it run today just to be sure that it doesn't crash.

OK, update: I'd been using my ethernet cable from my desktop to test. I just moved it to another cable so that I could write in the forum while it's running and it hasn't stopped yet. My desktop is connected directly to my 2wire AT&T U-verse modem. The other connection is to a Netgear GS108 gigabit switch (which is then connected to the U-verse modem). They are both on the same layer 2 network.

I'll test some more tonight and let you know what I find.

#7429 Hang during debug with ethernet connected

Posted by Luke on 10 January 2011 - 10:37 PM in Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1)

I have a small app for my Netduino Plus that reads the values of a photo detector and a temperature sensor every minute, Debug.Print()s the values, and updates a Pachube feed. The Pachube update is written into a try/catch to keep the code from crashing if there is an issue with network connectivity. If I start debugging this code from VS with the ethernet disconnected, it will run for hours without any error. If ethernet is connected, it will only make it a few minutes before hanging. When it hangs there is no error, etc. Before it hangs, it worked as expected updating Pachube, etc. Basically VS just acts like everything is still working but there is no output from the Netduino Plus. I also have a background thread blinking the onboard LED that stops running. I'm running v4.1.1 ALPHA 5, but it also did this with v4.1.0 (update 6) BETA 1 and v4.1.0 (update 5). I've even tried it with simpler code that has no network functionality and get the same results. Any ideas on what could be going on or how I could debug? Thanks, Luke

#7152 Controlling multiple LEDs with a few outputs as possible

Posted by Luke on 06 January 2011 - 03:27 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

The EZ-Expander works great with the Netduino. Provides a net gain of 13 more output-only pins. (There are 16 output pins, but you lose three driving the two 74HC595 shift registers.)

http://nootropicdesi...om/ez-expander/

Your link doesn't work, but I think this is what you're talking about:
http://nootropicdesi...om/ez-expander/

That looks nice and is basically what I was getting at.

#7090 Controlling multiple LEDs with a few outputs as possible

Posted by Luke on 05 January 2011 - 08:55 PM in Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1)

A shift register would probably be preferable, but it would actually require 3 lines: input, clock, and latch. There wouldn't be flickering though because you wouldn't latch until the register was loaded. You can also daisy chain multiple registers without using any more pins so 3 pins could drive many LEDs. There's a good discussed with sample code and wiring here: http://forums.netdui...gister-example/

#6586 OSC Drivers

Posted by Luke on 27 December 2010 - 09:13 PM in General Discussion

I can see it being useful for lots of projects, so I'd probably keep it generic so that I can include it when needed. I have an iPhone and an iPad and Wifi is easy so this seems like an interesting way to control a project without having to use a set of XBees and another uC as the remote controller. Also, thought I'd mention that I first heard about Netduino when you were on the Hanselminutes podcast. I'm a systems guy supporting .NET web apps with some electronics tinkering in my past. I'm having a blast with the Netduino boards. Thanks for your work!

#6581 OSC Drivers

Posted by Luke on 27 December 2010 - 07:48 PM in General Discussion

I'll also mention that I found one implementation for full .NET that would be a good starting point but looks too large to just include as-is: http://www.bespokeso...ss/?page_id=69/

#6580 OSC Drivers

Posted by Luke on 27 December 2010 - 07:45 PM in General Discussion

Has anyone worked on drivers for OSC (http://opensoundcontrol.org) for the Micro Framework? With several OSC apps out for iPhone, iPad, and other devices it seems like it would be a cool implementation, especially over UDP with the Netduino Plus. I could also see it being useful over wired serial connections, XBee, etc, instead of having to build your own control protocol. I have a small ASUS Wifi AP that I'm planning to attach to my Netduino Plus. Older version of: http://www.amazon.co...l/dp/B0014L4ZKK It runs off of 5V, so it would fit nicely in a portable package. I'm going to start working on an OSC implementation and was curious if anyone else already had. If so, Google doesn't seem to know about it. Thanks, Luke

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.