Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.

Teuton's Content

There have been 19 items by Teuton (Search limited from 28-April 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#7711 Progress! ? ...

Posted by Teuton on 15 January 2011 - 04:53 AM in Netduino Mini

Hi Teuton,

If you got "Pinging...TinyCLR" that meant that everything was set up and working properly.

If you connect via HyperTerminal or TeraTerm and then power up your Netduino Mini, you should see a bunch of data when you power up the device.

Would you be interested in a Netduino instead of the Netduino Mini? If you purchased your Netduino Mini in the last 30 days, we can arrange with Little Bird to return your Netduino Mini and get a Netduino instead. I believe it only costs a tiny bit more, and it should run straight out of the box. [And with LEDs, USB, and plug and play...you won't have to diagnose power or serial issues.]

For people just starting out with Netduino, we generally recommend using the Netduino or Netduino Plus. Netduino Mini is a really great little module, but the Netduino is best to start with.

Chris

I Already own an Arduino Uno. I had a plan for this Netduino mini, the form & size was the reason for purchase. Thanks anyway. I think ill just give up. I have never seen 1 character appear in HyperTerminal or TeraTerm. Thanks guys.

#7709 Error Message

Posted by Teuton on 15 January 2011 - 04:01 AM in Netduino Mini

I am using a RS232 UART adapter directly from the serial port on a 10year old PC, into pins 1,2,3,4 (Rx,Tx,DTR,Gnd).

I was using them without DTR until a few days ago since the RS232 adapter i used is salvaged from an old project, and had no wire connecting to the DTR pin (RS232:Pin4).

I eventually decided to drill into the adapter and connect a wire to the DTR pin. I have a wire running from the back of my old tower, from the RS232 adapter plugged into my serial port, to my breadboard wher i have my Netduino MINI.

Just today i ordered a USB1.1 to RS232 connection so my win7 PC can be used.

ALSO i am using a power supply.
Input: 100VAC - 240VAC/1A/50hz
Output: +5VDC, +12VDC; both at 2.0Amps

#7708 Error Message

Posted by Teuton on 15 January 2011 - 03:59 AM in Netduino Mini

Teuton,

We're getting closer...

RS232 serial and TTL serial are very different things (one runs from -12V to 12V and the other at 0V to 3V; plugging the wrong one in to the wrong place can cause electrical damage).

What is the brand and part number of the serial cable you're using? Does it plug into a USB-RS232 adapter on your PC, or how does it plug in to your computer?

Chris

I am using a RS232 UART adapter directly from the serial port on a 10year old PC, into pins 1,2,3,4 (Rx,Tx,DTR,Gnd).

I was using them without DTR until a few days ago since the RS232 adapter i used is salvaged from an old project, and had no wire connecting to the DTR pin (RS232:Pin4).

I eventually decided to drill into the adapter and connect a wire to the DTR pin. I have a wire running from the back of my old tower, from the RS232 adapter plugged into my serial port, to my breadboard wher i have my Netduino MINI.

Just today i ordered a USB1.1 to RS232 connection so my win7 PC can be used.

#7706 Progress! ? ...

Posted by Teuton on 15 January 2011 - 03:49 AM in Netduino Mini

Teuton, you can download Atmel SAM-BA for free from atmel.com if you need it.

P23 is still GND, as is P4.

It's possible that the hardware is faulty, but not likely. You got it up and running previously, correct?

BTW, when and where did you buy your Netduino Mini?

Chris

No i have never had it up and running. I have never seen more than a "Pinging... TinyCLR". i have managed to deploy firmware v4.1.0 but then it said "Pinging... Error: No response from device".
I have never seen any text appear in HyperTerminal or TeraTerm. Serial>COM1:115200,8bit data,parity:none,1 bit stop, no flow control.

I purchased it from Little Bird Electronics - Netduino Mini.

#7700 Progress! ? ...

Posted by Teuton on 15 January 2011 - 03:32 AM in Netduino Mini

Ill try +12vdc to p3 assuming that gnd is still p23?

Is it possible the hardware is faulty?

Ive tried applying +12vdc to the DTR pin with gnd at 23. im using rs232 uart.
No connection. are there any tests you can suggest with a multimeter to ensure the hardware is functional?

#7699 Progress! ? ...

Posted by Teuton on 15 January 2011 - 03:29 AM in Netduino Mini

Hi Teuton,

Are you using the serial port feature of the Netduino Mini? Any chance that you opened the debug serial port for use from your code (locking out the debugger)?

Two things that can be done:
1. If you apply a positive voltage (up to 12V) to the "DTR" pin (pin 3) while powering it up, the Netduino Mini will go into bootloader mode. From there, you can connect via MFDeploy as usual and erase your current app.
2. Worst case, you can always erase your Netduino Mini completely and program it from flash. This the "backup backup" procedure, but it'll require an RS232 connection and Atmel SAM-BA.

Chris

Ok so i have downloaded SAM-BA, can i get a method/procedure? I have an RS232 connection. Thanks Chris

#7685 Progress! ? ...

Posted by Teuton on 14 January 2011 - 11:38 PM in Netduino Mini

HEY all especially Chris Walker and CW2 (Chris Walker 2.0?) for your continued assistance in the Netduino Mini Forums.

As a stroke of bad luck combined with a poor understanding of the .NET Micro Framework Platform, both hardware and software, i have systematically encountered every possible error :) <- Smile Face.

So now i have installed every lil file out there, my hard disk on this old computer is filed with about 500 different versions and installations. I should just buy a serial port for my new win7 pc but being broke has its disadvantages (Surprising huh).

LATEST PROBLEM: Trying to connect. There was a point when i could connect with "MFDeploy.exe", which prints
"Pinging... TinyCLR" or somethin like that. Now, i get "Pinging... Error: No response from device".

I have never been able to establish a connection with TeraTerm or HyperTerminal; unless a blank screen means i have been successful... i'm sure it doesn't.

I have installed the 3.5 service pack 1 suggested to me. Error no longer displayed in Visual Studio 2010; instead "cannot communicate with the device."

Im certain this serial adaptor (Home made break out adapter) is functioning due to a continuity test on all pins. no shorts. everything is fine.

I am losing it. I will try to re-install firmware once more.

Attached Thumbnails

• No Connection.JPG
  • No Connection2.JPG

#7674 Help Setting Up Netduino MINI

Posted by Teuton on 14 January 2011 - 07:42 PM in Netduino Mini

He he... As I wrote in the above post, please refer to CodePlex issue #221 (you have to download the attached .config file and place it where MetaDataProcessor.exe is located, or download and install .NET Micro Framework 3.5 SP1). Hope this helps.

FOUND IT~!
.NET MF v3.5 SP1

#7611 Help Setting Up Netduino MINI

Posted by Teuton on 13 January 2011 - 10:47 PM in Netduino Mini

Please rename BlinkLED method back to Main Posted Image

done now i have the error message
0x80131107 file: MMP

#7590 Help Setting Up Netduino MINI

Posted by Teuton on 13 January 2011 - 07:33 PM in Netduino Mini

Ok Heres where im upto. I reinstalled the Netduino Mini Firmware v4.1
Now im trying to connect with TeraTerm and i get nothing. No data. Back to square one.

Also im trying to write my first app. Anyone want to check this for me and tell me if you think i should run into any problems?

NETDUINO MINI Code: "BlinkLED"
------------------------------

using System;
using System.Threading;
using Microsoft.SPOT;
using Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware;
using SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware;
using SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware.NetduinoMini;

namespace BlinkLED
{
    public class Program
    {
        private static void BlinkLED()
        {
            OutputPort led = new OutputPort(Pins.GPIO_PIN_20, false);
            bool isOn = false;
            while (true)
            {
                isOn = !isOn;
                led.Write(isOn);
                Thread.Sleep(500);
            }
        }

}
}

When i try to compile or upload i get an error message:
Error	1	Program 'C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\Netduino Mini Projects\First Netduino App\app1\obj\Release\app1.exe' does not contain a static 'Main' method suitable for an entry point	app1

#7587 Help Setting Up Netduino MINI

Posted by Teuton on 13 January 2011 - 07:13 PM in Netduino Mini

If you have any problems, you can also check out Netduino Getting Started Guide (pdf), there are detailed step-by-step instructions.

Ok so things are looking better. I think the reason i could not communicate with the Netduino Mini is because i was using a serial cable (RS232) without DTR (Data Terminal Ready) pin. I tried both in pins 1,2,4 and 4,11,12.

After having an aneurysm, i drilled a small hole into the RS232 (Female) and stuck a wire into pin 4 (DTR), then i ran a meter of wire to my pin array. I connected with TeraTerm and got Gobbledygook after FINALLY making a connection.

So then i reinstalled Netduino Mini Firmware v4.1 with MFDeploy.exe

Now i need to test my device.

Attached Thumbnails

• Firmware reloaded.JPG

#7579 Netduino Mini in Visual Studio

Posted by Teuton on 13 January 2011 - 05:12 PM in Netduino Mini

Please have a look at my post in your 'poll' thread.

Thanks CW2 for your posts. After installing "netduinosdk_32bit.EXE", My Visual Studio 2010 now has a list of several Templates, including Netduino, Netduino Mini, Netduino Plus.

Now i just need to establish a connection to my Netduino Mini :( Err0r Regarding Upload attempt...

Thanks a lot Chris and CW2

#7578 Help Setting Up Netduino MINI

Posted by Teuton on 13 January 2011 - 05:01 PM in Netduino Mini

I don't think this is correct, you should install both .NET Micro Framework and Netduino SDKs, you don't really need Porting Kit and firmware source code updates (unless you plan to compile your own firmware):

• Download and install Visual Studio 2010 (any edition, free Express works too),
  • If you have a clean PC, i.e. only .NET Framework 4.0 (that comes with Visual Studio) installed, take steps described in CodePlex issue MMP : error MMP0000: 0x80131700 - either download the attached .config file, or install previous .NET Framework version (3.5 SP1),
  • Download and install .NET Micro Framework 4.1 QFE SDK,
  • Download and install Netduino SDK (32-bit or 64-bit, depending on your OS version).

Awesome Thanks !
Now to test

#7576 Netduino Mini in Visual Studio

Posted by Teuton on 13 January 2011 - 04:05 PM in Netduino Mini

Hi Teuton,

Are the Netduino templates in the following folder?

[My Documents]\Visual Studio 2010\Templates\ProjectTemplates\Visual C#\Micro Framework

They should show up automatically...but if Visual Studio is using another folder you might need to copy them over to the right place manually. Let me know what you find...and sorry you're having so much trouble. That's not typical :)

Chris

Thanks for the reply Chris.

No, there is no folder named "Micro Framework" in the Visual C# Folder.
What should i install to correct this? chances are if this is missing then any other parts of the installation may be missing as well.

This seems like a big favor to ask, but if anyone could maybe list all the files in every dirrectory, OR upload/link an image/zip of all the files they used to get their netduino mini up and running, that would be unbelievably brillant.

#7575 Error Message

Posted by Teuton on 13 January 2011 - 03:55 PM in Netduino Mini

Hi Teuton,

Try this really quick:
1. Open up HyperTerminal (or TeraTerm or PUTTY) and connect to the serial port of your Netduino Mini. 115200,N,8,1.
2. Power up your Netduino Mini.
3. Do you see any data coming from the Netduino Mini? If not, press Escape. What do you see now?

You can wire an RS232 (12V/-12V) serial cable directly to pins 1, 2, and 4. If using TTL, you'll need to wire a 3.3V serial cable to pins 11, 12, and 4 instead (and then use HyperTerminal or PUTTY to press ESC and switch the deployment port).

Chris

Hey thanks for the reply. So in response - no data.
I have tried both pin sets 1, 2, 4gnd (serial) and 4gnd, 11, 12.
The serial cable i salvaged doesnt have a DTR wire, only Tx, Rx, Gnd. So naturally i must use TTL right? What defines whether 3.3v or 12v is used? it is the same port, right?

If TTL is something else it would mean ive got a serial without DTR, in TTL pins on the netduino mini.

Also i have +12VDC to NM pin 24 and ground to NM pin 23. (+4.99 VDC output at NM pin 21)

NM is netduino mini.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2368.JPG

#7551 Error Message

Posted by Teuton on 13 January 2011 - 01:38 AM in Netduino Mini

Error 1 0x80131107 c:\documents and settings\owner\my documents\visual studio 2010\Projects\MFConsoleApplication1\MFConsoleApplication1\MMP MFConsoleApplication1 When i try to release to serial -> com1 im using a serial cable with the other end cut off and pins from serial 2, 3 and 5: Rx, Tx, Gnd; Am i failing to communicate/connect with the Netduino mini? or is my Netduino Busted? :*(

#7549 Netduino Mini in Visual Studio

Posted by Teuton on 13 January 2011 - 01:27 AM in Netduino Mini

Why dont i have "Netduino Application" listed in my C# "create a new ... " menu?\

Ive uninstalled and reinstalled the 3 items mentioned Here: My linkhttp://www.netduino.com/netduinomini/specs.htm

Any ideas why source code and not compiled programs would be given? What am i missing?

Also if anyone knows a way to test SEPERATELY the integrity of my netduino MINI and my serial cable (TTL) i would love to hear it. Thanks.

Ill be sure to mention you when ive written a proper detailed guide

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot.JPG

#7538 Help Setting Up Netduino MINI

Posted by Teuton on 12 January 2011 - 11:04 PM in Netduino Mini

Hi Teuton,

Netduino Mini is typically used in scenarios where space is at a premium or a microcontroller-module form factor is desired. It's not hard to get set up if you know what to do, but it is nowhere as quick and easy as the regular Netduino (or Netduino Plus).

All that said, a few things:
1. First of all, welcome to the Netduino community. And thanks for introducing yourself.
2. To change deployment, follow the steps in the "blinky" tutorial on the Projects page. But instead of selecting "USB" for transport right before running the Netduino app, select "Serial". Then select the COM port to which your Netduino Mini is attached.
3. Be sure to select the "Netduino Mini" project instead of the regular "Netduino" project when creating your project.

Does that give you a good start? We're more than happy to walk you through it. Again, getting started with the microcontroller module is not as simple as getting started with the regular Netduino...but with a few tweaks you should be up and running.

I'll also see if we can get a Netduino Mini-specific "getting started" document in the works.

Chris

Well id love to author or contribute to it once i get mine up and running. Thanks for the response.

#7530 Help Setting Up Netduino MINI

Posted by Teuton on 12 January 2011 - 08:37 PM in Netduino Mini

Hi all. I Have being using the Arduino UNO board and am familiar with it.
Now i have a Netduino MINI and i am struggling.

I have downloaded all the packages and files. Here is what I've done PC-wise:

1. Downloaded and installed Visual Studio 2010 (Ultimate), environment set to C#.
2. Downloaded .NET Micro Framework 4.1 Porting Kit, Firmware, SDK. (http://www.netduino....omini/specs.htm)
3. Installed Framework (to "C:/MicroFrameworkPK_v4_1/" or something like that).
4. Unzipped Firmware and Dragged its contents to "MicroFrameworkPK_v4_1" folder.
5. Unzipped SDK and dragged its contents to "MicroFrameworkPK_v4_1" folder.

Reading the quick-start guide, i should set deployment in VS2010
From [USB] to [COM] but i cant find that anywhere.

Also i made my own serial connector.

I used a serial salvaged from scraps. It has a Tx, Rx, Ground pin ONLY, so i plan to use TTL.
I also salvaged a power supply, with Com(earth), +5VDC, +12VDC. I have made a 6 pin array for my future projects.

SO people, Does the above sound correct to you? Secondly, how do change deployment, how do I deploy?

Any other information you want to offer would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails

• 6Pin Array for Netduino Mini by Matthew Kessanis (Username Teuton).JPG

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.