Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Help Setting Up Netduino MINI

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Poll: How difficult was it? (8 member(s) have cast votes)

How difficult was it for you to set up your Netduino Mini?

1. Easy! i was turning out projects in minutes (4 votes [50.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. OK.. i Spent an hour or so before having full use of the device. (2 votes [25.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

3. A lil difficult. Took a few hours to be in business (1 votes [12.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

4. Hard! Headaches! took a good day or so (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. VERY Hard! Took a week. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. Impossible!!!! Still trying to set it up. (1 votes [12.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Teuton

Teuton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 08:37 PM

Hi all. I Have being using the Arduino UNO board and am familiar with it.
Now i have a Netduino MINI and i am struggling.

I have downloaded all the packages and files. Here is what I've done PC-wise:

1. Downloaded and installed Visual Studio 2010 (Ultimate), environment set to C#.
2. Downloaded .NET Micro Framework 4.1 Porting Kit, Firmware, SDK. (http://www.netduino....omini/specs.htm)
3. Installed Framework (to "C:/MicroFrameworkPK_v4_1/" or something like that).
4. Unzipped Firmware and Dragged its contents to "MicroFrameworkPK_v4_1" folder.
5. Unzipped SDK and dragged its contents to "MicroFrameworkPK_v4_1" folder.

Reading the quick-start guide, i should set deployment in VS2010
From [USB] to [COM] but i cant find that anywhere.

Also i made my own serial connector.

I used a serial salvaged from scraps. It has a Tx, Rx, Ground pin ONLY, so i plan to use TTL.
I also salvaged a power supply, with Com(earth), +5VDC, +12VDC. I have made a 6 pin array for my future projects.

SO people, Does the above sound correct to you? Secondly, how do change deployment, how do I deploy?

Any other information you want to offer would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files

#2 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 12 January 2011 - 10:23 PM

Hi Teuton,

Netduino Mini is typically used in scenarios where space is at a premium or a microcontroller-module form factor is desired. It's not hard to get set up if you know what to do, but it is nowhere as quick and easy as the regular Netduino (or Netduino Plus).

All that said, a few things:
1. First of all, welcome to the Netduino community. And thanks for introducing yourself.
2. To change deployment, follow the steps in the "blinky" tutorial on the Projects page. But instead of selecting "USB" for transport right before running the Netduino app, select "Serial". Then select the COM port to which your Netduino Mini is attached.
3. Be sure to select the "Netduino Mini" project instead of the regular "Netduino" project when creating your project.

Does that give you a good start? We're more than happy to walk you through it. Again, getting started with the microcontroller module is not as simple as getting started with the regular Netduino...but with a few tweaks you should be up and running.

I'll also see if we can get a Netduino Mini-specific "getting started" document in the works.

Chris

#3 Teuton

Teuton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 11:04 PM

Hi Teuton,

Netduino Mini is typically used in scenarios where space is at a premium or a microcontroller-module form factor is desired. It's not hard to get set up if you know what to do, but it is nowhere as quick and easy as the regular Netduino (or Netduino Plus).

All that said, a few things:
1. First of all, welcome to the Netduino community. And thanks for introducing yourself.
2. To change deployment, follow the steps in the "blinky" tutorial on the Projects page. But instead of selecting "USB" for transport right before running the Netduino app, select "Serial". Then select the COM port to which your Netduino Mini is attached.
3. Be sure to select the "Netduino Mini" project instead of the regular "Netduino" project when creating your project.

Does that give you a good start? We're more than happy to walk you through it. Again, getting started with the microcontroller module is not as simple as getting started with the regular Netduino...but with a few tweaks you should be up and running.

I'll also see if we can get a Netduino Mini-specific "getting started" document in the works.

Chris

Well id love to author or contribute to it once i get mine up and running. Thanks for the response.

#4 CW2

CW2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1592 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 13 January 2011 - 07:28 AM

I have downloaded all the packages and files. Here is what I've done PC-wise:

1. Downloaded and installed Visual Studio 2010 (Ultimate), environment set to C#.
2. Downloaded .NET Micro Framework 4.1 Porting Kit, Firmware, SDK. (http://www.netduino....omini/specs.htm)
3. Installed Framework (to "C:/MicroFrameworkPK_v4_1/" or something like that).
4. Unzipped Firmware and Dragged its contents to "MicroFrameworkPK_v4_1" folder.
5. Unzipped SDK and dragged its contents to "MicroFrameworkPK_v4_1" folder.

I don't think this is correct, you should install both .NET Micro Framework and Netduino SDKs, you don't really need Porting Kit and firmware source code updates (unless you plan to compile your own firmware):

• Download and install Visual Studio 2010 (any edition, free Express works too),
  • If you have a clean PC, i.e. only .NET Framework 4.0 (that comes with Visual Studio) installed, take steps described in CodePlex issue MMP : error MMP0000: 0x80131700 - either download the attached .config file, or install previous .NET Framework version (3.5 SP1),
  • Download and install .NET Micro Framework 4.1 QFE SDK,
  • Download and install Netduino SDK (32-bit or 64-bit, depending on your OS version).

#5 Teuton

Teuton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 05:01 PM

I don't think this is correct, you should install both .NET Micro Framework and Netduino SDKs, you don't really need Porting Kit and firmware source code updates (unless you plan to compile your own firmware):

• Download and install Visual Studio 2010 (any edition, free Express works too),
  • If you have a clean PC, i.e. only .NET Framework 4.0 (that comes with Visual Studio) installed, take steps described in CodePlex issue MMP : error MMP0000: 0x80131700 - either download the attached .config file, or install previous .NET Framework version (3.5 SP1),
  • Download and install .NET Micro Framework 4.1 QFE SDK,
  • Download and install Netduino SDK (32-bit or 64-bit, depending on your OS version).

Awesome Thanks !
Now to test

#6 CW2

CW2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1592 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 13 January 2011 - 05:13 PM

Now to test

If you have any problems, you can also check out Netduino Getting Started Guide (pdf), there are detailed step-by-step instructions.

#7 Teuton

Teuton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 07:13 PM

If you have any problems, you can also check out Netduino Getting Started Guide (pdf), there are detailed step-by-step instructions.

Ok so things are looking better. I think the reason i could not communicate with the Netduino Mini is because i was using a serial cable (RS232) without DTR (Data Terminal Ready) pin. I tried both in pins 1,2,4 and 4,11,12.

After having an aneurysm, i drilled a small hole into the RS232 (Female) and stuck a wire into pin 4 (DTR), then i ran a meter of wire to my pin array. I connected with TeraTerm and got Gobbledygook after FINALLY making a connection.

So then i reinstalled Netduino Mini Firmware v4.1 with MFDeploy.exe

Now i need to test my device.

Attached Files

#8 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 13 January 2011 - 07:23 PM

Hi Teuton, When MFDeploy reports "Pinging...TinyCLR", that means that your device is up and running (and you should be able to deploy from Visual Studio). You'll only need to deploy the firmware files if you want to update the unit. For DTR, this pin is only used to force the Netduino Mini into bootloader mode (so that you can erase the current firmware, upgrade the current firmware, or erase your current Netduino Mini app). When not connected (or when DTR is not enabled by the PC), your Netduino Mini should boot normally... Chris

#9 Teuton

Teuton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 07:33 PM

Ok Heres where im upto. I reinstalled the Netduino Mini Firmware v4.1
Now im trying to connect with TeraTerm and i get nothing. No data. Back to square one.

Also im trying to write my first app. Anyone want to check this for me and tell me if you think i should run into any problems?

NETDUINO MINI Code: "BlinkLED"
------------------------------

using System;
using System.Threading;
using Microsoft.SPOT;
using Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware;
using SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware;
using SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware.NetduinoMini;

namespace BlinkLED
{
    public class Program
    {
        private static void BlinkLED()
        {
            OutputPort led = new OutputPort(Pins.GPIO_PIN_20, false);
            bool isOn = false;
            while (true)
            {
                isOn = !isOn;
                led.Write(isOn);
                Thread.Sleep(500);
            }
        }

}
}

When i try to compile or upload i get an error message:
Error	1	Program 'C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\Netduino Mini Projects\First Netduino App\app1\obj\Release\app1.exe' does not contain a static 'Main' method suitable for an entry point	app1

#10 CW2

CW2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1592 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 13 January 2011 - 07:36 PM

does not contain a static 'Main' method

Please rename BlinkLED method back to Main Posted Image

#11 Teuton

Teuton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 10:47 PM

Please rename BlinkLED method back to Main Posted Image

done now i have the error message
0x80131107 file: MMP

#12 CW2

CW2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1592 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 13 January 2011 - 10:57 PM

done now i have the error message
0x80131107 file: MMP

He he... As I wrote in the above post, please refer to CodePlex issue #221 (you have to download the attached .config file and place it where MetaDataProcessor.exe is located, or download and install .NET Micro Framework 3.5 SP1). Hope this helps.

#13 Teuton

Teuton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 07:42 PM

He he... As I wrote in the above post, please refer to CodePlex issue #221 (you have to download the attached .config file and place it where MetaDataProcessor.exe is located, or download and install .NET Micro Framework 3.5 SP1). Hope this helps.

FOUND IT~!
.NET MF v3.5 SP1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.