Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Progress! ? ...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Teuton

Teuton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 11:38 PM

HEY all especially Chris Walker and CW2 (Chris Walker 2.0?) for your continued assistance in the Netduino Mini Forums.

As a stroke of bad luck combined with a poor understanding of the .NET Micro Framework Platform, both hardware and software, i have systematically encountered every possible error :) <- Smile Face.

So now i have installed every lil file out there, my hard disk on this old computer is filed with about 500 different versions and installations. I should just buy a serial port for my new win7 pc but being broke has its disadvantages (Surprising huh).

LATEST PROBLEM: Trying to connect. There was a point when i could connect with "MFDeploy.exe", which prints
"Pinging... TinyCLR" or somethin like that. Now, i get "Pinging... Error: No response from device".

I have never been able to establish a connection with TeraTerm or HyperTerminal; unless a blank screen means i have been successful... i'm sure it doesn't.

I have installed the 3.5 service pack 1 suggested to me. Error no longer displayed in Visual Studio 2010; instead "cannot communicate with the device."

Im certain this serial adaptor (Home made break out adapter) is functioning due to a continuity test on all pins. no shorts. everything is fine.

I am losing it. I will try to re-install firmware once more.

Attached Files

#2 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 15 January 2011 - 01:15 AM

Hi Teuton, Are you using the serial port feature of the Netduino Mini? Any chance that you opened the debug serial port for use from your code (locking out the debugger)? Two things that can be done: 1. If you apply a positive voltage (up to 12V) to the "DTR" pin (pin 3) while powering it up, the Netduino Mini will go into bootloader mode. From there, you can connect via MFDeploy as usual and erase your current app. 2. Worst case, you can always erase your Netduino Mini completely and program it from flash. This the "backup backup" procedure, but it'll require an RS232 connection and Atmel SAM-BA. Chris

#3 Teuton

Teuton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 03:29 AM

Hi Teuton,

Are you using the serial port feature of the Netduino Mini? Any chance that you opened the debug serial port for use from your code (locking out the debugger)?

Two things that can be done:
1. If you apply a positive voltage (up to 12V) to the "DTR" pin (pin 3) while powering it up, the Netduino Mini will go into bootloader mode. From there, you can connect via MFDeploy as usual and erase your current app.
2. Worst case, you can always erase your Netduino Mini completely and program it from flash. This the "backup backup" procedure, but it'll require an RS232 connection and Atmel SAM-BA.

Chris

Ok so i have downloaded SAM-BA, can i get a method/procedure? I have an RS232 connection. Thanks Chris

#4 Teuton

Teuton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 03:32 AM

Ill try +12vdc to p3 assuming that gnd is still p23?

Is it possible the hardware is faulty?

Ive tried applying +12vdc to the DTR pin with gnd at 23. im using rs232 uart.
No connection. are there any tests you can suggest with a multimeter to ensure the hardware is functional?

#5 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 15 January 2011 - 03:35 AM

I dont have atmel SAM-BA. :)

Ill try +12vdc to p3 assuming that gnd is still p23?

Is it possible the hardware is faulty?

Teuton, you can download Atmel SAM-BA for free from atmel.com if you need it.

P23 is still GND, as is P4.

It's possible that the hardware is faulty, but not likely. You got it up and running previously, correct?

BTW, when and where did you buy your Netduino Mini?

Chris

#6 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 15 January 2011 - 03:37 AM

Ive tried applying +12vdc to the DTR pin with gnd at 23. im using rs232 uart. No connection.

Quick note: applying 12VDC to the DTR pin will only affect the Netduino Mini's operation during boot.

are there any tests you can suggest with a multimeter to ensure the hardware is functional?

If it was booting and running before, the best test is to check to see if the microcontroller is booting. Worst case scenario, you can erase the Netduino Mini completely (connecting 5V power to the ERASE pad) and then try to connect to it from Atmel SAM-BA.

Chris

#7 Teuton

Teuton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 03:49 AM

Teuton, you can download Atmel SAM-BA for free from atmel.com if you need it.

P23 is still GND, as is P4.

It's possible that the hardware is faulty, but not likely. You got it up and running previously, correct?

BTW, when and where did you buy your Netduino Mini?

Chris

No i have never had it up and running. I have never seen more than a "Pinging... TinyCLR". i have managed to deploy firmware v4.1.0 but then it said "Pinging... Error: No response from device".
I have never seen any text appear in HyperTerminal or TeraTerm. Serial>COM1:115200,8bit data,parity:none,1 bit stop, no flow control.

I purchased it from Little Bird Electronics - Netduino Mini.

#8 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 15 January 2011 - 04:36 AM

Hi Teuton, If you got "Pinging...TinyCLR" that meant that everything was set up and working properly. If you connect via HyperTerminal or TeraTerm and then power up your Netduino Mini, you should see a bunch of data when you power up the device. Would you be interested in a Netduino instead of the Netduino Mini? If you purchased your Netduino Mini in the last 30 days, we can arrange with Little Bird to return your Netduino Mini and get a Netduino instead. I believe it only costs a tiny bit more, and it should run straight out of the box. [And with LEDs, USB, and plug and play...you won't have to diagnose power or serial issues.] For people just starting out with Netduino, we generally recommend using the Netduino or Netduino Plus. Netduino Mini is a really great little module, but the Netduino is best to start with. Chris

#9 Teuton

Teuton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 04:53 AM

Hi Teuton,

If you got "Pinging...TinyCLR" that meant that everything was set up and working properly.

If you connect via HyperTerminal or TeraTerm and then power up your Netduino Mini, you should see a bunch of data when you power up the device.

Would you be interested in a Netduino instead of the Netduino Mini? If you purchased your Netduino Mini in the last 30 days, we can arrange with Little Bird to return your Netduino Mini and get a Netduino instead. I believe it only costs a tiny bit more, and it should run straight out of the box. [And with LEDs, USB, and plug and play...you won't have to diagnose power or serial issues.]

For people just starting out with Netduino, we generally recommend using the Netduino or Netduino Plus. Netduino Mini is a really great little module, but the Netduino is best to start with.

Chris

I Already own an Arduino Uno. I had a plan for this Netduino mini, the form & size was the reason for purchase. Thanks anyway. I think ill just give up. I have never seen 1 character appear in HyperTerminal or TeraTerm. Thanks guys.

#10 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 15 January 2011 - 07:09 AM

I Already own an Arduino Uno. I had a plan for this Netduino mini, the form & size was the reason for purchase. Thanks anyway. I think ill just give up. I have never seen 1 character appear in HyperTerminal or TeraTerm. Thanks guys.

It sounds there's probably an issue with the serial cable connection. Sorry for the trouble, but thanks for trying... We'll miss having you in the community. Please come back anytime.

Best of luck with your other projects, Teuton.

Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.