Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.

Fabien Royer's Content

There have been 203 items by Fabien Royer (Search limited from 22-May 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#36793 Nwazet Go Pro Kit

Posted by Fabien Royer on 08 October 2012 - 06:59 PM in Netduino Go

Thanks Asbjørn :) The DAQ features 19 built-in LEDs :) The Touch Display can turn into *many* custom buttons and has a built-in keyboard feature. The button on the Netduino Go is also accessible. Using the breadboards, you can also easily connect 8 more buttons to the DAQ's digital GPIOs and 8 more pots to the analog inputs. Cheers, -Fabien.

#36789 Nwazet Go Pro Kit

Posted by Fabien Royer on 08 October 2012 - 06:36 PM in Netduino Go

Get serious building solutions on the .Net Micro Framework with this superb kit!

Be proud to showcase your work, presenting an image of quality from concept to finished product: your work deserves the polish of our black acrylic plates, laser-cut to exquisite precision around the best Netduino Go modules available today.

Composition
The Touch Screen will take complex user input and will display rich graphical feedback.
The 7-segment module will show essential numeric data that must be visible at a glance.
The Data Acquisition module will handle high volume inputs and outputs, serial communications, sensors, data storage and time.
The potentiometer is equipped with a heavy metal knob providing a very satisfying user feedback and blending perfectly with the look and feel of the kit.
A powerful Netduino Go, juiced by our USB power supply, orchestrates your show.

Prototyping
The black acrylic plates feature two main prototyping areas, ready to receive two breadboards (included in the kit). Additionally, a third mini breadboard can be placed between the DAQ module connectors. The kit includes two clear auto-adhesive breadboards, each providing two power rails and 400 connection points. The kit also includes forty 6" M/M premium jumper wires.

Value
If you wanted to put this exact kit together yourself, you'd have to spend over $300.
By carefully selecting our parts and designing for manufacturing, we were able to offer it for $250. Our hope is that you'll invest the $50 difference in building your next idea with us :)

For more details, check out the product page.

Cheers,
-Fabien.

Attached Thumbnails

• 00.jpg
  • 01.jpg
  • 02.jpg
  • 04.jpg

#36536 SD Card Module Update

Posted by Fabien Royer on 04 October 2012 - 04:49 PM in Netduino Go

Guys, You may not realize this, but taking pre-orders that remain in the pipeline for too long has a direct negative impact on our business and affects customer satisfaction: our customers generally buy other things along with the pre-ordered item(s). Once the pre-ordered item becomes available, the entire order ships. So, if the availability date of a pre-ordered item keeps being pushed back, with no foreseeable ETA, you can see how a large order backlog can build up quickly. In turn, our customers are unhappy because their hardware can't ship for weeks and we are unable to provide a specific ETA. Predictability and reliability are extremely important to us and we feel that we can't be successful without that. We made the decision to only carry products that are currently shipping and functional. Cheers, -Fabien.

#36420 nwazet relay module

Posted by Fabien Royer on 02 October 2012 - 06:30 PM in Netduino Go

Hi Danny, I just put together a short demo on using one of our relays. I hope this helps and clarifies things for you. Cheers, -Fabien.

#36332 Prices and personal conversations

Posted by Fabien Royer on 01 October 2012 - 12:50 AM in Netduino Go

Since you've implemented I2C via some sort of proxy (I don't know how this works since I don't have a DAQ, and won't cause I cant afford it) I hope that you'll give guidance to Chris and Secret Labs so as to help them make quick work of finishing the ShieldBase. Something which would greatly benefit the entire community. And would gain you a significant amount of respect from people like me, who have uses for the ShieldBase that the DAQ is unable to fulfill.

The DAQ schematics and the source are open for anyone to review and re-use provided that attribution is given: https://bitbucket.or...r/nwazet.go/src
What more do you need? How is this not of benefit to the community?

And would gain you a significant amount of respect from people like me, who have uses for the ShieldBase that the DAQ is unable to fulfill.

Like what?

I think that overall you'll sell more by showing us that you know how to build products

You're joking right? Do I need to provide links to the Go! modules that we have designed and shared with the community or would that be considered too much spam?

it feels like most of your recent posts have been about the DAQ, which is great, but I think that overall you'll sell more by showing us that you know how to build products, and that you are a good guy (good will can get you far in business).

I'm the 'bad guy' now? WTF is that even supposed to mean?

Build good modules and do everything I can to help the community grow. I accomplish the latter part primarily by helping users, via posting in threads, and never seeming to leave chat.

That's exactly what Nwazet does and we share everything that we produce with the community. We're trying to make an honest living from our work. What more do you want from us?

#36328 Prices and personal conversations

Posted by Fabien Royer on 30 September 2012 - 11:38 PM in Netduino Go

I also don't have any problem with you promoting your newest module, the DAQ, but there comes a point when you go from promoting it to spamming please keep that in mind

I very much appreciate the work that Mark put into his prototype temp / humidity sensor module and the video he made showing it. You certainly don't attack him for "spamming' and hijacking" your thread. But when I post something related to sensing temperature and humidity, I'm a thread spammer and a hijacker?

Posted ImageFabien Royer, on 30 September 2012 - 02:22 PM, said:

<br style="background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">Now, show me an alternative to the DAQ that allows connecting *any* kind of I2C sensors to a Netduino Go!
<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 12.727272033691406px; line-height: 19.09090805053711px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">Done

Once again, this is misinformation: the Shield Base doesn't have I2C implemented even though the hardware exposes the SDA and SCL pins.

I've yet to lobby a single personal attack at you, and I'm not going to start now. I will ask that keep things respectful both here and elsewhere I know you have complaints about how certain things are going, or have gone, but the forums are not the place to air them.

You can't be serious. What was that Twitter post if not a personal, public attack?

Attached Thumbnails

• Arron.png

#36319 Prices and personal conversations

Posted by Fabien Royer on 30 September 2012 - 09:22 PM in Netduino Go

Arron,

I'm not really sure $75 for a any number of small sensors is even remotely reasonable. I think individual $10-15 sensors are going to be better options for most users, both on price an ease of use. The IDC cable provides a much better user experience than just wires, after all I could do that with a breadboard for much cheaper.

I understand that you're still bitter about my questioning the value of your ProtoModule many months ago, that you took it personally and resent me for it, and that since then, you have taken great care of discrediting my contributions to the community any occasion you get. I know what to expect from you and that's ok.

However, if you had done the cost analysis instead of spreading misinformation, you'd know that:
  • Selling the seven features offered by the DAQ as individual modules would cost well over $75
  • I2C sensors, without the overhead of the supporting Go hardware, can cost anywhere between $10 to $20 by themselves depending on brand / function
  • IDC cables cost at least $2 each
Now, show me an alternative to the DAQ that allows connecting *any* kind of I2C sensors to a Netduino Go!

#36300 Temperature or Temperature & Humidity?

Posted by Fabien Royer on 30 September 2012 - 06:08 PM in Netduino Go

Hi,

If you'd like to monitor temperature and humidity, you can do it today with the Nwazet DAQ and sensor drivers we provide for it:
Source code for the drivers: https://bitbucket.or....Go.DAQ/Sensors

If you have specific needs, don't hesitate to let us know: we're developing more drivers for common I2C sensors to add to the library.

Here's a sample using the Honeywell temperature and humidity sensor:

using System;
using System.Threading;
using Microsoft.SPOT;
using Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware;
using SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware.NetduinoGo;
using Nwazet.Go.DAQ;
using Honeywell;
namespace Tutorials {
    public class I2cCommunications {
        public static NwazetDAQ daq = new NwazetDAQ();
        public static void Main() {
            daq.Initialize(GoSockets.Socket1);
            try {
                var hih = new HIH613x(daq.I2cPort);
                hih.Read();
                Debug.Print("Temp: " + hih.TemperatureCelsius + " Celsius");
                Debug.Print("Humidity: " + hih.RelativeHumidityPercent + " %");

} catch (I2cException e) {
                Debug.Print("I2C transaction failed: " + e.Message);
            }
        }
    }
}

#36264 SD Card Module Update

Posted by Fabien Royer on 29 September 2012 - 05:50 PM in Netduino Go

Thanks for the explanation Chris. I just issued a refund this morning to everyone who had pre-ordered an SD card module.

Indeed, the DAQ provides a drop-in replacement for System.IO and you can see how it works here: http://nwazet.com/co...Q/10-FileSystem

Thanks,

Cheers,
-Fabien.

#36193 SD Card Module Update

Posted by Fabien Royer on 28 September 2012 - 04:39 PM in Netduino Go

Hi Nicky,

and if Fabien, who I expect is the reseller at nwazet.com

We do resell Netduino Go! products and develop our own Netduino Go! modules.

doesn't know anything, it doesn't seem good...

As you noticed, the release dates announced by Secret Labs for the SD card and the Ethernet modules have been pushed back several times. Secret Labs communicated to us on Sept 4th that the SD card module would be available this month, by the 29th at the latest. My guess is that Secret Labs postponed the release of these modules until Maker Faire, along with a third 'mystery' module, to make as much noise as possible around Netduino Go!.

However, we expected to have the SD card reader module ready by the 29th in order to fulfill pre-orders and that's not the case. Unfortunately, we're getting ready to issue refunds to folks who have ordered the SL SD card reader orders tomorrow if it is not publicly released. We'll also remove the SD card reader from our store until it is actually available and functional.

I understand that you have a Shield Base already, but if you need SDHC storage, you should seriously consider our DAQ module: http://nwazet.com/da...uisition-module.

-Fabien.

#36103 SD Card Module Update

Posted by Fabien Royer on 28 September 2012 - 02:44 AM in Netduino Go

Hi Chris,
We're a couple days away from September 29th and we have not heard from you on the availability of the SL SD card reader.
Can you please provide us with an update?
Thanks,-Fabien.

#35665 Nwazet DAQ Module vs. Shield Base | Buyer's Guide

Posted by Fabien Royer on 20 September 2012 - 10:15 PM in Netduino Go

Hi,

Since the release of the Nwazet DAQ module, we have received multiple requests to "compare and contrast" the DAQ's features with the Shield Base module produced by Secret Labs. You can find the comparison sheet here and we hope that it clarifies any confusion that may have existed between the two products.

Cheers,
-Fabien.

#35661 Getting started with Nwazet Display

Posted by Fabien Royer on 20 September 2012 - 09:30 PM in Netduino Go

public void DrawFill(ushort color) :)

#35650 Getting started with Nwazet Display

Posted by Fabien Royer on 20 September 2012 - 08:58 PM in Netduino Go

Bendage, I suspect that something went wrong when I recently merged multiple source trees during the release of the DAQ module code, even though I did a regression pass to make sure all projects built, deployed and ran. -Fabien.

#35649 Getting started with Nwazet Display

Posted by Fabien Royer on 20 September 2012 - 08:54 PM in Netduino Go

GregR, Yup. An installer solution is what we'll be using to simplify things. -Fabien.

#35647 Getting started with Nwazet Display

Posted by Fabien Royer on 20 September 2012 - 08:51 PM in Netduino Go

This will get you unblocked for now :) Both methods should work though and I'll investigate what the issue is as soon as I get the chance. Cheers, -Fabien.

#35644 Getting started with Nwazet Display

Posted by Fabien Royer on 20 September 2012 - 08:44 PM in Netduino Go

Hi Bendage,

Sorry that you're having difficulties putting together your project from the binary assemblies.
I'll look into why that is and will make corrections as needed. I've also been thinking about creating tutorials and code snippets, similar to the ones I created for the DAQ module.

In the meantime, you can do the following:
  • Go to the Nwazet source repository and do "Get Source" as a zip file
  • Expand the zip file to a location of your choice
  • Create a Netduino Go! project in VS2010 (any version)
  • Paste the code generated by Nutshell into program.cs
  • Right-click on the solution and do "Add Existing Project..."
  • Add "Nwazet.Go.Core.csproj"
  • Add "Nwazet.Go.Display.csproj"
  • Make "Nwazet.Go.Core" and "Nwazet.Go.Display" dependencies of your main project
  • Compile and deploy :)
See the attached picture to see the completed project.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
-Fabien.

Attached Thumbnails

• Bendage.jpg

#35627 Netduino + Bluetooth

Posted by Fabien Royer on 20 September 2012 - 06:54 PM in Netduino Go

Hi Remor,

The Nwazet DAQ module works very well with FTDI based adapters and should do very well with the MDFLY Bluetooth module.
As a matter of fact, expect a demo dedicated to wireless serial communications in the very near future... Posted Image

Cheers,
-Fabien.

#35562 Shield Base Firmware v4.2.0.1 (beta 1)

Posted by Fabien Royer on 20 September 2012 - 01:47 AM in Netduino Go

Greg, Ken,

I wanted to let you know that the Nwazet DAQ module provides an I2C interface and it works with sensors anywhere from 10kHz to 400kHz.
This module only takes a single socket on the Go! main board and uses a 16 MHz SPI interface.

Cheers,
-Fabien.

#35561 Love Electronics pH and Temperature module

Posted by Fabien Royer on 20 September 2012 - 01:34 AM in Netduino Go

Hi Paulo,

You could connect any pH probe using I2C, serial or analog data to the Nwazet DAQ module.
I would not recommend bit-banging I2C data if you care about reliability, especially when dealing with sensors using 400 kHz frequencies Posted Image

As an alternative, check out this excellent pH interface project: http://www.sparkyswi...HInterface.aspx

Cheers,
-Fabien.

#35487 Nwazet Data Acquisition Module for Netduino Go

Posted by Fabien Royer on 18 September 2012 - 05:46 PM in Netduino Go

Hi,

Just a quick update to let you know that the Nwazet DAQ module product page features a series of Tutorials and Code snippets to help you getting started building applications. I'm also working on a few videos showing the DAQ used in variety of real-world scenarios, but these take time to produce, so stay tuned ;)

Cheers,
-Fabien.

#34977 Nwazet Data Acquisition Module for Netduino Go

Posted by Fabien Royer on 10 September 2012 - 07:13 PM in Netduino Go

Hi neslekkim,

22 AWG solid core wires, as used in breadboards, will work great in these connectors. You can also use jumper wires as they fit perfectly next to each other.
You really don't want to use stranded 30 AWG wire as they're too fine and fragile. If you want to use stranded wires, go with a heavier gauge instead.

Cheers,
-Fabien.

#34975 Nwazet Data Acquisition Module for Netduino Go

Posted by Fabien Royer on 10 September 2012 - 06:34 PM in Netduino Go

To Gutworks, Dave, neslekkim, nakchak, Thanks guys :) -Fabien.

#34974 Nwazet Data Acquisition Module for Netduino Go

Posted by Fabien Royer on 10 September 2012 - 06:28 PM in Netduino Go

Hi Chris,

While a lot of people see GoBus as a plug-and-play module standard, it works great for building IO expansion boards too. Need 8 more ADCs and 8 more GPIOs? No problem. With a future upgrade to GoBus 1.5, this should be a valuable "virtual I/O" expander board (with convenient power and GND headers next to each pin).

The DAQ module, just like our Touch Display module, delivers on the promise of virtual I/O today by integrating different functions out of the box into a single plug-and-play module:
  • Analog Inputs
  • Digital Inputs
  • SDHC storage up to 16GB
  • Real Time clock
  • I2C bus
  • Serial communication (USART)
  • and few others things not yet exposed ;)
The benefits are obvious:
  • it offers critical functions missing from Go! today
  • it enables building cost-effective applications with off-the-shelf components (pots, buttons, switches, relays, analog and I2C sensors, wired and wireless serial communication with XBee, Bluetooth, WiFi)
  • It maximizes the number of free sockets on the main board for other functions (relays, display, etc...)
  • It can be used as a standalone embedded system to reduce deployment costs in production solutions
  • it works today on Go!Bus 1.0 and can leverage the evolution of the spec as needed

The red LEDs are a classy bonus. Nice touch, Fabien.

The important point here is that having these on-board LEDs frees up I/O connections for other more important things. You get to have your cake AND eat it :)

How do the Adafruit breakouts connect in? Is there an adapter for them, or is it best to solder on female headers to the Adafruit breakouts and then use jumper wires?

It's really simple: insert the sensors into a small breadboard and connect 4 wires to the DAQ (SCL, SDA, power and GND). I'll have demos showing how simple this is very shortly.

Cheers,
-Fabien.

#34853 Nwazet Data Acquisition Module for Netduino Go

Posted by Fabien Royer on 08 September 2012 - 06:00 AM in Netduino Go

Hi,

Our Data Acquisition module (DAQ for short) is designed for Netduino Go! users looking for a simple, cost-effective platform for integrating analog and digital I/Os, off-the-shelf I2C sensors, time tracking, SDHC storage (up to 16GB) and serial communications to their projects.

When we set out to design the DAQ module 5 months ago, we put a great deal of thought into the real-world scenarios shared by our customers when Netduino Go! launched and how many wanted to apply the power of the .Net Micro Framework in the context of rapid system prototyping, light industrial control systems, home automation, hydroponic growing systems, security systems, UAVs, robots and of course, Internet-connected devices.

The first design choice we made was to choose an extremely robust spring-loaded wire connection system, providing power, data and ground on every port where they're needed. On ports that are 5v and 3.3v tolerant, both power types are available. Because each wire is held securely in its place with strong springs that can only be released by applying pressure with a very small screwdriver, communications are more reliable and power to sensors and analog devices more stable than in conventional system using female pin headers. In addition, our spring-loaded wiring system enabled us to design a smaller and lighter board than would have been possible with screw connectors.

Our second design choice was to enable our customers to leverage the large array of existing I2C-compliant sensors on the market today without having to wait long development cycles for similar Go! modules to be brought to market. To this end, we have partnered with Adafruit to provide a variety of useful I2C sensors that work 'out-of-the-box' with our DAQ module in order to help you get started quickly with your designs. We are also committed to developing a comprehensive driver library for popular sensors from Adafruit and other vendors over time.

Our third design choice was to place user-controllable status LEDs on each I/O port of the DAQ module, allowing for a simple and effective method of providing user feedback from an application at no additional cost and without consuming the DAQ's digital I/Os for that purpose alone. We also embedded extensive sub-system diagnostics into the DAQ, available on-demand, in plain English through the serial port to help with troubleshooting issues in the field as well as easing the development of custom application drivers.

Our final design choice was to provide a complete, easy to hack system, with SDHC storage, a real-time clock, optional external power, and above all, capable of being used as a stand-alone 48Mhz ARM-Cortex M0 micro-controller programmable in C/C++ using a standard 0.1" JTAG/SWD pin header. In fact, an STM32F051 Discovery board, costing less than $10, was used for its embedded STLink/V2 interface throughout the entire development of the DAQ module firmware.

We believe that you'll find this module extremely useful in unlocking the full potential of Netduino Go! and building amazing applications right now. We also have a feature road map for the DAQ module and you can expect to see more smart functions, performance improvements and your very own feedback embedded in upcoming versions of the firmware. Last but not least, the DAQ module will be ready to leverage Go!Bus protocol advancements when the time comes.

For the full specifications and feature set, please check out http://nwazet.com/da...uisition-module

Thanks,

Cheers,
-Fabien.

Attached Thumbnails

• DAQ-00.jpg
  • DAQ-01.jpg
  • DAQ-Sensors.jpg

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.