Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.

Fabien Royer's Content

There have been 203 items by Fabien Royer (Search limited from 22-June 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#30861 Yet another telnet server

Posted by Fabien Royer on 19 June 2012 - 01:17 AM in Project Showcase

Nice work Stefan.

Can I haz the SSH option on the Netduino Go now? Posted Image

#34459 Wow. Three free LOGIC16s courtesy of Saleae...

Posted by Fabien Royer on 30 August 2012 - 08:40 PM in Netduino Go

A huge thanks to Chris and the Saleae team :) The Logic16 is amazingly handy, fast and simple to use. It's proven invaluable during module development...especially the one I'm finishing up right now ;) -Fabien.

#27036 Would this be possible with the Netduino Go

Posted by Fabien Royer on 12 April 2012 - 06:48 AM in Netduino Go

The display only accepts .bmp and raw 16-bit bitmaps at the moment as I had no time to support anything else unfortunately. Having said that, nothing prevents jpeg support from being added to the display's firmware (hopefully, we'll start seeing community contributions soon Posted Image).
As far as frame rate goes: SPI is not well suited for high FPS / large image transfers. One possible mitigation would be increasing the size of the communication buffer that the display firmware uses today (set @ 8KB, which is a good size for most GUI applications, but sub-optimal for achieving any kind of high FPS with large bitmaps).

Finally, please keep in mind that the size of a full screen .bmp is about 153KB (240 x 320 x 16bit/pixel, or can even be larger @ 240 x 320 x 18bit/pixel) which is more than you can fit in the memory of the Netduino Go! So, you'll have to read images from a stream somewhere... SD cards come to mind, but that's SPI too and not always super fast....

The final point is that the STM32F2xx in the 64-pin package used by the display module today doesn't support the FSMC feature which allows driving devices such as displays in hardware. That in itself is a major factor in limiting frame rate.

I hope this helps with understanding what is achievable.

Cheers,
-Fabien.

#27073 Would this be possible with the Netduino Go

Posted by Fabien Royer on 12 April 2012 - 03:48 PM in Netduino Go

You say that SPI isnt well suited for high FPS - is that in general?

Yes, in general: SPI is a serial bus architecture (clocking 1 bit at a time)
High FPS applications require a parallel bus architecture (clocking 8/16/32/64/128/...bits at a time).

A UART interface is also a form of serial bus, similar to SPI in many regards and is also slower than SPI.

If you're interested in learning more about interfacing with a serial camera module, I wrote an article on the subject last year: http://fabienroyer.w...ith-a-netduino/

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
-Fabien.

#27196 What is the GPIO (pin 3) Line used for on GO modules?

Posted by Fabien Royer on 14 April 2012 - 12:01 AM in Netduino Go

the GPIO line on the Gobus! can be used as a signaling method from the module to the main board. For instance, I use it as a synchronization mechanism in the Touch Display firmware to let the main board know that the display has completed processing a command set and that it's ready for a new batch. There's no reason why you couldn't use it for signaling something from the main board to the module, with one caveat: on the STM32Fx, it's also used to kick a module into bootloader mode for reflashing purposes( when the GPIO line is held high on module boot). If you keep that restriction in mind, you can use the GPIO line which ever way you please :) Hope this helps. -Fabien.

#32669 What Is an Arduino Shield and Why Should My Netduino Care?

Posted by Fabien Royer on 25 July 2012 - 08:19 PM in Project Showcase

Glad I could help :)

Also, I'm sorry, but we're fresh out of the "G.I. Joe Snake-Eyes: The Origin" copies ;-)

Cheers,
-Fabien.

#32806 What Is an Arduino Shield and Why Should My Netduino Care?

Posted by Fabien Royer on 27 July 2012 - 04:40 PM in Project Showcase

Nice work Steve :) About the transistor: feel free to replace it with anything equivalent or use a MOSFET... You could even use a SPST switch flipped manually if you wanted ;) Cheers, -Fabien.

#32563 What Is an Arduino Shield and Why Should My Netduino Care?

Posted by Fabien Royer on 23 July 2012 - 07:03 PM in Project Showcase

Thanks Steve :) The next article in the series has been written but it's up to the Channel 9 folks to decide when to release it. Cheers, -Fabien.

#32716 What Is an Arduino Shield and Why Should My Netduino Care?

Posted by Fabien Royer on 26 July 2012 - 04:32 PM in Project Showcase

Thanks Dave :) The next article should be up on Channel 9 the week of August 20th. Cheers, -Fabien.

#32553 What Is an Arduino Shield and Why Should My Netduino Care?

Posted by Fabien Royer on 23 July 2012 - 04:56 PM in Project Showcase

Hi,

I'm in the process of writing a series of articles for Channel 9 on using Arduino shields with the Netduino / Plus. The first installment of the series was posted yesterday: http://channel9.msdn...y-Netduino-Care

In this article, I also show how to interface a Touch Display module designed for Netduino Go! to a regular Netduino / Plus, which is a request that has come up often since we launched Go! modules.

Posted Image

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0-RUMYaZEY

Cheers,
-Fabien.

#32666 What Is an Arduino Shield and Why Should My Netduino Care?

Posted by Fabien Royer on 25 July 2012 - 06:54 PM in Project Showcase

Hi Steve,

I was finally able to get it setup and working on my Plus

Awesome and congrats!

only to find random pressure events firing, and an Invalid Command! error displaying.

The Invalid Command is typically caused by cables that are too long, such as the 30cm cable.

After inspecting the display with my eye loupe I have discovered a crack in the ribbon of which two wires are affected

That will do it. Can you do me a favor and take a magnified picture of the cracked ribbon and send it to me? Use "contact at nwazet dot com". I'd like to see where the crack is located. The good news is that I can offer you a replacement touch screen for $25: the touch display board is designed so that the display can be easily swapped out :)

I also noticed that the links to the Bitbucket repository are not working and show "Access denied"

Thanks for letting me know. I'll let the Channel 9 guys know about this issue: the links pointing to the BitBucket repository should not be in the article. The code is only on CodePlex as part of the 'netduino helpers'.

Cheers,
-Fabien.

#32906 What Is an Arduino Shield and Why Should My Netduino Care?

Posted by Fabien Royer on 30 July 2012 - 05:40 PM in Project Showcase

Steve, Assuming that you're controlling 5v power to the module from a 3.3v logic pin: place a 10K resistor at the base of the transistor and a 2.1K resistor as the pull-up (it should also work fine if you swap them. Just experiment). This will divide the 5v appropriately so that you can control the transistor from a lower voltage level. Cheers, -Fabien.

#26835 What date will the downloads be available?

Posted by Fabien Royer on 10 April 2012 - 06:03 AM in Netduino Go

But the fact remains: nwazet is selling OPEN SOURCE hardware labelled modules without providing the information how to rebuild them, at least some vital parts of the needed information is missing, not yet available.

Please be specific about what you believe is missing.

Did you actually take the time to explore the repository?

ALL MANUFACTURING INFO must be be available and public.

We are sharing our schematics, BOMs, source code. What else would you need?

For your button module, where is C source? I have not found it.

The Netduino Go! button is made by Secret Labs. Not us. In addition, there's no C code used for that module: it's managed through the Go!Bus GPIO pin using an InterruptPort.

as of SDK, yes, your website only says IT WILL BE AVAILABLE on 8th, but as today is not 8th but 10th it is wise to update the "8th april" to SOMEDAY in the future

Chris Walker of Secret Labs owns the Netduino SDK and drives the schedule for its release. We, my partner and I @ [nwazet, have no control over it.

I really do not like to WAIT

Neither do I Posted Image

Cheers,
-Fabien.

#26796 What date will the downloads be available?

Posted by Fabien Royer on 09 April 2012 - 05:58 PM in Netduino Go

Hi

I did read somewhere on netduino website that GO! firmware and SDK sources will be available on 8th April
today is 9th April but I am failing to see the download information, same goes was nWazet website, they
also promised 8th April but are also not providing any links or further information.

Maybe I just can not find where the downloads are, or is the deadline moved?
If so on what DATE can we expect the downloads to be available?

Antti

Hi there,

All the [nwazet source code and designs have been published on BitBucket on 04/07/2012: https://bitbucket.or...r/nwazet.go/src
We published this fact in this Netduino GO! forum and announced it on Twitter. For what it's worth, [nwazet has nothing to do with the creation of the Netduino GO! SDK.

Cheers,
-Fabien.

#30426 Visual Studio 2010, Visual Studio 11, and .NET Micro Framework

Posted by Fabien Royer on 08 June 2012 - 05:06 PM in Visual Studio

I'm glad to report that MSFT came to its senses with VS Express 2012 after the backlash it stirred a few weeks ago: http://blogs.msdn.co...ws-desktop.aspx

This is good news for all of us :)

Cheers,
-Fabien.

#29741 Visual Studio 2010, Visual Studio 11, and .NET Micro Framework

Posted by Fabien Royer on 25 May 2012 - 03:47 AM in Visual Studio

Posted Image
No-cost desktop software development is dead on Windows 8

What is the impact of this for the .Net MF and Netduino?

-Fabien.

#34112 Using the Adafruit Arduino Logger Shield on a Netduino

Posted by Fabien Royer on 23 August 2012 - 06:10 PM in Project Showcase

Hi.

The second article of the series that I'm writing about using Arduino Shields on the Netduino was just posted.
In this article, I'm using an AdaFruit Arduino Logger Shield and walk through the process of making it work with a Netduino / Plus.
The code coming with the article provides 'out of the box' functionality for the device and can be easily customized to record any kind of data.

Enjoy!

Cheers,
-Fabien.

Posted Image

#46716 Trouble writing to SD card on Nwazet DAQ

Posted by Fabien Royer on 05 March 2013 - 10:33 PM in Netduino Go

Hi Seattle Food Geek,

I just notice that the order of the calls is incorrect:

[*][color=rgb(0,0,0);]daq[/color][color=rgb(102,102,0);].[/color][color=rgb(102,0,102);]FatFs[/color][color=rgb(102,102,0);].[/color][color=rgb(102,0,102);]CloseFile[/color][color=rgb(102,102,0);]([/color][color=rgb(0,0,0);]fileId[/color][color=rgb(102,102,0);]);[/color]
    [*][color=rgb(102,0,102);]Debug[/color][color=rgb(102,102,0);].[/color][color=rgb(102,0,102);]Print[/color][color=rgb(102,102,0);]([/color][color=rgb(0,136,0);]"file closed"[/color][color=rgb(102,102,0);]);[/color]
    [*][color=rgb(0,0,0);]daq[/color][color=rgb(102,102,0);].[/color][color=rgb(102,0,102);]FatFs[/color][color=rgb(102,102,0);].[/color][color=rgb(102,0,102);]SyncFile[/color][color=rgb(102,102,0);]([/color][color=rgb(0,0,0);]fileId[/color][color=rgb(102,102,0);]);[/color]
    [/list]

Closing the file invalidates the fileId, and it should not be used afterward.

[color=rgb(102,102,0);font-size:14px;]Just call SyncFile() before closing the file and things should be OK :)[/color]

I hope this helps.

-Fabien.

#36300 Temperature or Temperature & Humidity?

Posted by Fabien Royer on 30 September 2012 - 06:08 PM in Netduino Go

Hi,

If you'd like to monitor temperature and humidity, you can do it today with the Nwazet DAQ and sensor drivers we provide for it:
Source code for the drivers: https://bitbucket.or....Go.DAQ/Sensors

If you have specific needs, don't hesitate to let us know: we're developing more drivers for common I2C sensors to add to the library.

Here's a sample using the Honeywell temperature and humidity sensor:

using System;
using System.Threading;
using Microsoft.SPOT;
using Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware;
using SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware.NetduinoGo;
using Nwazet.Go.DAQ;
using Honeywell;
namespace Tutorials {
    public class I2cCommunications {
        public static NwazetDAQ daq = new NwazetDAQ();
        public static void Main() {
            daq.Initialize(GoSockets.Socket1);
            try {
                var hih = new HIH613x(daq.I2cPort);
                hih.Read();
                Debug.Print("Temp: " + hih.TemperatureCelsius + " Celsius");
                Debug.Print("Humidity: " + hih.RelativeHumidityPercent + " %");

} catch (I2cException e) {
                Debug.Print("I2C transaction failed: " + e.Message);
            }
        }
    }
}

#28933 STM8S-DISCOVERY - KIT

Posted by Fabien Royer on 12 May 2012 - 07:32 PM in Netduino Go

Hi Mike, IMHO, this is all you need to prototype STM8S-based modules at a very cost-effective price. It has all the MCU pins broken out, a small through hole prototyping area and has a built-in ST-Link programming interface. You can easily solder an SMD 10 position FCI connector in the middle of the prototyping area for connecting the STM8S Discovery board to your Go! board. Combined with IAR KickStarter Edition, this is a rock-solid development setup. I hope this helps. Cheers, -Fabien.

#39787 Shieldbase "Retired"?

Posted by Fabien Royer on 21 November 2012 - 03:45 AM in Netduino Go

I don't have anything to add to what Chris wrote and I believe that we have beaten the "DAQ vs. ShieldBase" horse to death already. Sorry Ulrik, this isn't going to be entertaining to watch after all ;) -Fabien.

#29230 [nwazet Go! modules - update announcements

Posted by Fabien Royer on 15 May 2012 - 09:32 PM in Netduino Go

Great, then I think we'll order a 3rd display, set it up, test it, make sure everything is working. Hopefully that'll give time for the software updater to become available, if not, I'll email you about possibly sending our other two in to get fixed up.

Ok. That woks too Posted Image

Cheers,
-Fabien.

#29229 [nwazet Go! modules - update announcements

Posted by Fabien Royer on 15 May 2012 - 09:31 PM in Netduino Go

Sorry Fabien I didn't make what I was thinking very clear. At the moment you write your firmware for the module using c rather than c#. I was thinking that with this port of the .NET MF it may be possible to write the firmware using c#.

After thinking about this and looking into the display module some more I see it uses the same ARM Chip as the Netduino Go so you could have used the same firmware.

Also I suppose using C rather than C# will create faster native code so using a CLR based framework may not perform well.

By the way what IDE do you use for the C development?

We should start another thread for this discussion. I'm afraid this is way off topic Posted Image

Cheers,
-Fabien.

#29201 [nwazet Go! modules - update announcements

Posted by Fabien Royer on 15 May 2012 - 08:17 PM in Netduino Go

Yes: all [Nwazet Touch Display modules ship with the new firmware as of May 13th. -Fabien.

#30186 [Nwazet @ the Seattle Mini Maker Faire 2012

Posted by Fabien Royer on 04 June 2012 - 05:22 PM in Project Showcase

Team [nwazet was at the first 'Seattle Mini Maker Faire' last weekend, showing off some Netduino Go! applications. Here's a short video of what we built for the occasion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78LesDVqMXs
The event was a blast and everyone who played with the Netduino / Go! loved it Posted Image

Cheers,
-Fabien.

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.